Game 65 at Detroit 7pm

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Re: Game 65 at Detroit 7pm 

Post#21 » by 8305 » Sat Mar 5, 2022 6:35 pm

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:Didn’t see the game but based on the box score looks like way too much Brogdan and Hield at the expense of Hali. Solid tanking strategy, but this will be just as painful to watch as Brogdan/Levert. That box score screams volumes as to why Pacers and Kings barely have 20 wins. Allowing two veteran guards to have rolls they don’t have the talent to justify.
Hali needs to work on left hand. Eastern teams are learning to stay on his right.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app

On a high end team Brogdan will be playing off the ball and his shots will be straight line drives to the basket and spot up threes. If he's the primary ball handler its probably an indicator the team isn't very good.
I see Hield the same as Levert, an off the bench scorer. A bigger role likely means the team isn't very good.
I'm sure there are things Hali needs to work on and you may have identified the biggest. Hope he's good enough to get the ball out of the hands of Brogdan and HIeld.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Mar 5, 2022 6:59 pm

Honestly, last night was Hali playing quite timid early, and passing up open shots late. A lot of Brogdon’s shot attempts were after Hali passing up his open shot attempt late in a shot clock and Brogdon (and Buddy) just trying to get shots off before the shot clock.

I get the worry of Brogdon taking shots from Hali, but that’s not what last night was. Last night was Hali playing a bit timid and other guys just trying to fill the void. I’m worried about the pairing until I see otherwise, but I definitely didn’t see Brogdon ignoring others, or hunting for his shot, in particular. I just saw him trying to bail out a bad offense that was maybe trying to play too unselfish and getting bit shots up
In time.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#23 » by Tom White » Sat Mar 5, 2022 7:42 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Honestly, last night was Hali playing quite timid early, and passing up open shots late. A lot of Brogdon’s shot attempts were after Hali passing up his open shot attempt late in a shot clock and Brogdon (and Buddy) just trying to get shots off before the shot clock.

I get the worry of Brogdon taking shots from Hali, but that’s not what last night was. Last night was Hali playing a bit timid and other guys just trying to fill the void. I’m worried about the pairing until I see otherwise, but I definitely didn’t see Brogdon ignoring others, or hunting for his shot, in particular. I just saw him trying to bail out a bad offense that was maybe trying to play too unselfish and getting bit shots up
In time.

Everything you see, I don't. The reverse appears to be true as well. Before Haliburton can pass up a shot, he has to actually have the ball in a scoring position. As I said earlier, when the TV guys were talking about Brogdon late in the game, even Quinn said "They may have to get the ball out of his hands". This offense loses its flow when he is dominating the ball.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#24 » by El Hespiritu » Sat Mar 5, 2022 9:01 pm

Don't think there is any of our Triple Guard Axis doing particularly wrong or claiming to be the alpha PG.
All of them are having good and bad streaks as primary ball handlers each one at his own style.

Hali tries harder to give room to the others.
Brogdon is reading lanes better at half court.
Hield commands single handed fast breaks full speed.

I guess is more a matter of them learning to play each other, to split the spaces, to share decision-making and to combine their respective talents to run the team instead of taking turns on doing it while the other two watch it.

To take the court with three guards aligned, all of them wanting the ball in his hands is tricky stuff.
It will take time to adjust I guess... since Hornacek's Suns I didn't watch such an experimental extended back court with no pre-established roles.

Will be interesting to see how this evolves.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Mar 5, 2022 9:40 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Honestly, last night was Hali playing quite timid early, and passing up open shots late. A lot of Brogdon’s shot attempts were after Hali passing up his open shot attempt late in a shot clock and Brogdon (and Buddy) just trying to get shots off before the shot clock.

In time.

Everything you see, I don't. The reverse appears to be true as well. Before Haliburton can pass up a shot, he has to actually have the ball in a scoring position. As I said earlier, when the TV guys were talking about Brogdon late in the game, even Quinn said "They may have to get the ball out of his hands". This offense loses its flow when he is dominating the ball.

And Hali Drove into the lane a couple times and passed out deep behind the arc when he was wide open and got called out by Quinn, too. How many times did Quinn say “you gotta take that shot” or “he passed up the open shot” about Hali last night? At least a handful.

Hali is the clear and undisputed future of this franchise. Not Brogdon. I think he’s trying to fit in too much and defer too much.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#26 » by pacers33granger » Sat Mar 5, 2022 10:53 pm

I'm kind of in the middle of this debate. Hali was certainly deferring last night. And he has been since Brogdon came back. That's fine, but he still needs to be aggressive.

That said, Brogdon and Hield were stopping the ball a lot and trying to do more than they're capable of.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#27 » by Tom White » Sat Mar 5, 2022 11:27 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I'm kind of in the middle of this debate. Hali was certainly deferring last night. And he has been since Brogdon came back. That's fine, but he still needs to be aggressive.

That said, Brogdon and Hield were stopping the ball a lot and trying to do more than they're capable of.

Eh. I don't even know if I would call it a debate at this point. Just some of us taking the opportunity to express differing opinions. It's the sort of thing I like because when someone has a different view it makes you examine their view and you own. In a season like this, it adds bit of fun to it, I'd say.

Return to Indiana Pacers