Roster construction

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 675

Roster construction 

Post#1 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Mar 9, 2022 9:27 am

One thing I’ve noticed recently is that Brissett (who is an inexpensive and young player) is filling the Justin Holiday starter STATS slot. He’s not playing the same position but I believe their outputs are eerily similar.

Both have great shooting nights and both tend to have not so memorable nights equally. 50% odds on good scoring night. Both hustle as a rule. Both valuable.

While Brissett is valuable in roster bench strength for next season we’ve got to improve the starting position he and Justin occupied. I understand if Warren was healthy this season neither would have been starting.

Tyrese
Malcolm
Buddy
Unknown
Myles

We just need better starting lineup talent next year or it’s going to be a 6-10th place squad in a tough Eastern conference. Of course we’ll need a strong second unit but I think that will be easier.

I’m thinking if Warren is gone we’ve got to turn his and either Rubio, McConnell, or Brogdon’s salary into a solid running mate for Myles. We’re overstocked on guards currently. Most likely will have to be a trade scenario.

Having first round draft choices are nice but let’s face it they’re very rarely NBA starter ready.

Duarte ~~~ has he been a starting lineup stud this season? Nah. Really nice future potential though.

Here’s a link to this year’s draft.
https://www.nba.com/draft/2021/draft-board

30 first round rookie players and the only one I can say truly has been a dominant starter is Mobley. He’s even been injured.

Barnes, Wagner, Giddey, and Cunningham have all secured starting gigs and it’s taken time for all of them to progress and produce. I think all have also been injured some.

So my point is that our upcoming draft rookies need to come to our team as bench position players and develop. Isiah Jackson is a prime example of getting valuable playing time as a non starter first round draft pick from the bench position.

Kudos to Carlisle, injuries, and Covid for not burying rookies on the bench and not developing them as in the past. Duarte, Jackson, Washington, Taylor, and even Sykes have gotten a lot of good minutes to grow.

Hopefully next season is more stable and our rookies get some minutes to develop but not be desperation starters.
Assistant Coach
And1: 601

Re: Roster construction 

Post#2 » by 8305 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:27 am

Still need someone who can defend speed on their perimeter. Much like we needed to surround Sabonis with high level defenders we will need a running mate for Hali who can defend pg’s. Brogdan and Hield do not bring that quality to the table. Witness the Cleveland game and Darius Garland.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#3 » by Wizop » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:02 pm

When rosters were 12 deep, I had a pattern

PG PG
    PG/SG
    SG
    SG/SF
    SF
    SF/PF
    C C
    PF PF
    PF/C

I'm not sure where 3 more fit although at least one is a SG or a SG/SF swing. The 2-ways can be anything.

Let's assume Rubio, Smith and Sykes are gone and Washington and Taylor stay at 2-ways. That's probably wrong but it opens 3 spots for draft picks and leaves spot 15 open although that could be an elevated 2-way. Now let's insert some names.

PG PG Haliburton McConnell
    PF/SG Brogdon
    SG Hield
    SG/SF Duarte
    SF Warren
    SF/PF Brissett
    C C Turner Bitadze
    PF PF ? ?
    PF/C Jackson
    ? Stephenson
    ?

there is certainly room for a speed defender. I don't think that has proven to be Sykes or Washington although Garland is a special player and not many people could have checked him Tuesday. if Ivey can fill that role, I'll change my opinion of him. I think we'll find that out by watching the NCAA's

the glaring need is at forward though. if you believe Quinn, Brissett belongs at 4 so we really have no SF apart from Warren and draft picks. PF is also light without Smith. Holmgren, Banchero, and Smith will fit right in. Griffin too if those three are gone. I hope we can get a big with our pick and a wing with Cleveland's.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#4 » by El Hespiritu » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:46 am

I called that at the Spanish thread weeks ago:

Indiana current roster has not a clue about Shooting Forwards.

To be fair... doesn't look as if you need one. Oshe should be but I can see why Carlisle plays him 99% PF.
That fits with the needs of an Extreme Small Ball, the same that Empanao Jackson and Jalen IQless Smith fit in being half the way between PF and Center.

Goga, who looks kinda traditional 5 is actually more of a stretch five with point-forwarding skills than a paint dweller.

I'm not specially intrigued about McConnell return. He can fit well with Triple Axis whether starting or from the bench.
Same for Warren: I foresee he will play a fake PF the same as Brisset without any problem.

But it would be weird playing this same style with Myles Turner... guy has nor the mobility of Isaiah neither Goga and Smith long range threaten.
I don't think he can play the bball you're now playing.
These sick defenses hanging between illegal individual and pure zone would be hell for him.

So, either Carlisle will change his systems (again) or Myles will need to adapt his game to this New Deal (unlikely).
Even if he doesn't come back 'til next season (likely) and I am not band wagoning you by then (more than likely) I'll keep an eye on his return because I think will be tactically very interesting.

Children from the Draft are not players right now... just picks floating on a lottery non-basketball game.
In fact I don't even consider them human beings yet.
I guess Carlisle will expect them to adapt into the systems and not the other way around.

And a last thought: don't you stick Buddy to SG.

Tyrese is being more or less the same he was at SAC; maybe more hesitant feeling the responsibility of being the main play maker (Fox had that 100% for Kings so Haliburton never got it before at pro level) but essentially the same guy.

Hield looks an entire different player. Like the trade gave him a new brain or somewhat

From all current guards, he is the one making the more effective and creative passing game.
And I'll tell more: he's the guy showing more leadership.

I thought Brogdon would be that guy running the team off the ball but I can see is Buddy the one doing it more consistently: listening coaches orders and translating it to their teammates and even explaining to the rookiephomores how to deal with situations.
Sorta post-adolescent vet.

Didn't see that coming.
SAC fans must be shocking.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#5 » by Pacers Forever » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:39 am

El Hespiritu wrote:I called that at the Spanish thread weeks ago:

Indiana current roster has not a clue about Shooting Forwards.

To be fair... doesn't look as if you need one. Oshe should be but I can see why Carlisle plays him 99% PF.
That fits with the needs of an Extreme Small Ball, the same that Empanao Jackson and Jalen IQless Smith fit in being half the way between PF and Center.

Goga, who looks kinda traditional 5 is actually more of a stretch five with point-forwarding skills than a paint dweller.

I'm not specially intrigued about McConnell return. He can fit well with Triple Axis whether starting or from the bench.
Same for Warren: I foresee he will play a fake PF the same as Brisset without any problem.

But it would be weird playing this same style with Myles Turner... guy has nor the mobility of Isaiah neither Goga and Smith long range threaten.
I don't think he can play the bball you're now playing.
These sick defenses hanging between illegal individual and pure zone would be hell for him.

So, either Carlisle will change his systems (again) or Myles will need to adapt his game to this New Deal (unlikely).
Even if he doesn't come back 'til next season (likely) and I am not band wagoning you by then (more than likely) I'll keep an eye on his return because I think will be tactically very interesting.

Children from the Draft are not players right now... just picks floating on a lottery non-basketball game.
In fact I don't even consider them human beings yet.
I guess Carlisle will expect them to adapt into the systems and not the other way around.

And a last thought: don't you stick Buddy to SG.

Tyrese is being more or less the same he was at SAC; maybe more hesitant feeling the responsibility of being the main play maker (Fox had that 100% for Kings so Haliburton never got it before at pro level) but essentially the same guy.

Hield looks an entire different player. Like the trade gave him a new brain or somewhat

From all current guards, he is the one making the more effective and creative passing game.
And I'll tell more: he's the guy showing more leadership.

I thought Brogdon would be that guy running the team off the ball but I can see is Buddy the one doing it more consistently: listening coaches orders and translating it to their teammates and even explaining to the rookiephomores how to deal with situations.
Sorta post-adolescent vet.

Didn't see that coming.
SAC fans must be shocking.

I know it could change but where do you think you’ll be bandwagoning next season?

Is where Rubio lands one bandwagon ?
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#6 » by El Hespiritu » Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:32 pm

As long is an NBA team, for sure.

If something goes any wrong and he decides to play FIBA instead, I'll have to re-think the whole stuff.

If something goes veeery wrong and he quits bball I'll probably never band wagon a team again unless another player impacts me the same RRubio did.

Never happened in last 15 years.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by 8305 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:07 pm

Wizop wrote:When rosters were 12 deep, I had a pattern

PG PG
    PG/SG
    SG
    SG/SF
    SF
    SF/PF
    C C
    PF PF
    PF/C

I'm not sure where 3 more fit although at least one is a SG or a SG/SF swing. The 2-ways can be anything.

Let's assume Rubio, Smith and Sykes are gone and Washington and Taylor stay at 2-ways. That's probably wrong but it opens 3 spots for draft picks and leaves spot 15 open although that could be an elevated 2-way. Now let's insert some names.

PF/SG Brogdon
    SG Hield
    SG/SF Duarte
    SF Warren
    SF/PF Brissett
    C C Turner Bitadze
    PF PF ? ?
    PF/C Jackson
    ? Stephenson
    ?

there is certainly room for a speed defender. I don't think that has proven to be Sykes or Washington although Garland is a special player and not many people could have checked him Tuesday. if Ivey can fill that role, I'll change my opinion of him. I think we'll find that out by watching the NCAA's

the glaring need is at forward though. if you believe Quinn, Brissett belongs at 4 so we really have no SF apart from Warren and draft picks. PF is also light without Smith. Holmgren, Banchero, and Smith will fit right in. Griffin too if those three are gone. I hope we can get a big with our pick and a wing with Cleveland's.

I think Brogdan actually defends the 3 better than the 1 and he has more than adequate ball skills to play the wing. He probably lacks ideal length for the 3 but, i think you could live with him at that position. Seems to me Brogdan at the 3 address that position better than anyone we have manning the 4 right now.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#8 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:59 pm

8305 wrote:
Wizop wrote:When rosters were 12 deep, I had a pattern

PG PG
    PG/SG
    SG
    SG/SF
    SF
    SF/PF
    C C
    PF PF
    PF/C

PF/SG Brogdon
    SG Hield
    SG/SF Duarte
    SF Warren
    SF/PF Brissett
    C C Turner Bitadze
    PF PF ? ?
    PF/C Jackson
    ? Stephenson
    ?

I think Brogdan actually defends the 3 better than the 1 and he has more than adequate ball skills to play the wing. He probably lacks ideal length for the 3 but, i think you could live with him at that position. Seems to me Brogdan at the 3 address that position better than anyone we have manning the 4 right now.

I agree that Brogdon defends both the 2 and 3 positions better than the 1 because the speedy point guards eat him alive.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#9 » by Topofthekey » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:41 am

1. Draft Keegan Murray at #6-8
2. Draft Nikola Jovic at #19
3. Sign a veteran back SF in FA

Myles, Goga
Jackson, Brissett, Taylor
Murray, FA Vet, Jovic
Duarte, Hield, Washington
Haliburton, McConnell, Stephenson

Where's Brogdon?

Good question, I'm not sure where to slot him in either
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by 8305 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:51 am

Topofthekey wrote:1. Draft Keegan Murray at #6-8

Myles, Goga
Murray, FA Vet, Jovic

Where's Brogdon?

Murray might be there at 6 but, right now I’d be surprised if he were there at 8. If we were to get Murray I think he’s more of a 4 and now you have a place for Brogdan.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#11 » by Wizop » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:02 pm

Myles, Goga
Murray, FA Vet, Jovic

Where's Brogdon?

I'm very happy with that draft and spot 15 goes to the second rounder. I think Brogdon starts and Murray comes off the bench in the early season. Perhaps he'll be starting as the trade deadline approaches.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#12 » by Topofthekey » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:49 pm

Wizop wrote:

Myles, Goga
Murray, FA Vet, Jovic

Where's Brogdon?

I'm very happy with that draft and spot 15 goes to the second rounder. I think Brogdon starts and Murray comes off the bench in the early season. Perhaps he'll be starting as the trade deadline approaches.

That does sound more realistic
Wizop
RealGM

Post#13 » by Wizop » Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:24 pm

8305 wrote:Murray might be there at 6 but, right now I’d be surprised if he were there at 8.

8 does challenge. I like Mathurin but he could be gone too. Kendall Brown? Duren? Davis? I'm not sure what to think about Sharpe

Adrian Street
Rookie
And1: 319

Post#14 » by Adrian Street » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:13 pm

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:Murray might be there at 6 but, right now I’d be surprised if he were there at 8.

8 does challenge. I like Mathurin but he could be gone too. Kendall Brown? Duren? Davis? I'm not sure what to think about Sharpe

I love Mathurin and I wouldn't be surprised to see Sharpe end up being the best player to come out of this draft long term.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#15 » by Tom White » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:47 pm

Adrian Street wrote:
I love Mathurin and I wouldn't be surprised to see Sharpe end up being the best player to come out of this draft long term.

What has Sharpe done to make you think this highly of him? He hasn't even taken the floor in a college game. Did you watch him a lot in high school, or just going of the hype around him? These other guys are proving themselves against top college talent.
Snacks
Rookie
And1: 1,110

Post#16 » by Snacks » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:41 pm

Would your front office want Randle ---- for Brogdon/Jalen
Mitch
Towns
OG
Spida
JB
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#17 » by Tom White » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:53 pm

Snacks wrote:Would your front office want Randle ---- for Brogdon/Jalen

No.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:10 pm

Not likely. I’m not sure anyone wants Randle after this season and his new deal.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#19 » by Wizop » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:07 pm

Jalen Smith isn't tradeable. He'll be a free agent and we have a limit on what we can pay him. If you want him, sign him.

Snacks
Rookie
And1: 1,110

Post#20 » by Snacks » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:47 pm

Wizop wrote:
Jalen Smith isn't tradeable. He'll be a free agent and we have a limit on what we can pay him. If you want him, sign him.

No cap space- would have to be a sign and trade
Mitch
Towns
OG
Spida
JB

Return to Indiana Pacers