Rookie performance

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 718

Rookie performance 

Post#1 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Mar 9, 2022 11:25 am

Season’s got a month left so this is premature. How do you feel about Chris Duarte’s performance, availability, growth, future.

Likewise same question about Isaiah Jackson, Duane Washington, Terry Taylor, and Keifer Sykes.

My comparison to other rookies drafted is only based on this season’s performance and no indication of the future relevance of any of this draft class.

Starting with Duarte #13 pick

I feel 4 of 12 players drafted before him haven’t been better this season than Duarte and only 2 players drafted after him have fared better. Draft pick spot on.

My feelings are he’s played recklessly hard with great determination to succeed. Thus his limited playing time due to injuries.

He’s had some really great flashes showing his bright future potential. He’s also been mismatched which is a good learning experience to deal with that in the NBA. He’s being coached up and seems receptive as he’s wanting to be a great player.

I’m not disappointed but truthfully expected better results this first season. Life happens thus he’ll grow and have a better season next year.

Isiah Jackson pick #22

Interestingly I feel 7 players drafted before Jackson have struggled (mostly minutes related reasons) to have a better season.
Some of those 7 are very close in comparison. Only 4 players drafted after him have had better seasons. Great job draft day Pacers.

I’m really impressed with his ability to affect the game with his talent. His draft videos showed his rim defense and offense. What you didn’t imagine is how quickly he can jump over and over to get the rebound, block, or put back. His shot selection is better than in college and I think his shot might be improving.

Of course his jumping leads to excessive fouls and I expect him to correct that in due time. It’s questionable if he’s playing out of position or not and I’m sure the Pacers will show us what position they’re grooming him to be.

All in all I’m saying this was a great move for the assets traded. Now that begs the question of

Has Jackson impressed you more than Duarte this season ???? :o :o

Duane Washington undrafted

Obviously Washington was a draft night target and the Pacers got their man as an undrafted 2 way signing. Only comparison I’ll make to other drafted rookie players is he’s done very well getting big opportunity 17 other draftees haven’t.

While Washington has gained NBA experience I still feel he’s a 2 way player next season maybe last man on roster. His positive is he can shoot the 3 at 36% so far. Only shooting 38% from 2 is a problem. Defense has to get better as well as turnovers. I’m pleased with this get.

Terry Taylor undrafted

His game is not only rebounding but easy put back buckets among players taller. Shooting 60%. Such strength in his smaller frame to be physical and muscle with the bigs. He’s got a nose for the ball and gets 50-50 balls.

Weaknesses I see are defensively too short to defend low post bigs shot attempts, I see him fouling non big players with a nudge or push when beat, and outside shot needs to improve. Good thing is he doesn’t shoot from anywhere but the paint.

WOW just a great bench/2 way find.

Keifer Sykes undrafted

Shooting 35% from 2 and 29% from 3 isn’t good. Assists 2 to 1 turnovers. Probably his greatest strength is maturity/experience even though it’s not in the NBA.

Let’s call it what it is. He’s had bad luck with the NBA forcing him to go over seas until the Pacers used him in SL and training camp signing him to the Mad Ants. He’s trapped behind much more talent on this roster and suited to be a 2 way or G league player. Might be a better Pacer than TJ Leaf ever was ? :lol:
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Re: Rookie performance 

Post#2 » by 8305 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:46 pm

I think Duarte is at least a rotational player. Given his age, its still to be determined if he will be more. Generally players improve significantly over the course of their rookie contract. At age 24 you have to wonder how much of that can be expected with Duarte. I'm guardedly optimistic that we will see growth and that he will be that 40% three point shooter who is also a solid defensive guy. Courtney Lee with a better shot?
Isaiah Jackson has an interesting skill set. He was advertised as a multi position defender who could someday play the 4. Given his length that makes him a really interesting player. You can see how athletic he is but to this point I've only seen him playing the 5. If that's his position and the ability to defend multiple positions never materializes he's a whole lot less interesting. Better hold onto Myles Turner for now.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,073

Post#3 » by Wizop » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:38 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=escuwuKbzOO97yb1aYVIow&s=19

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#4 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:25 pm

Just was curious how rookie Isiah Jackson compared stat wise to 3 year pro Goga this season. A lot of equal situations as both were out hurt, both played almost 15 min avg a game, both were 68% FT shooters.

The stat differences were Jackson was slightly better from 2 point and 3 point shooting, a bit better scoring, better rebounding, slightly better on steals, and better shot blocking.

Goga was slightly better on fouls, assists, and less turnovers per game. The one thing Goga can do better currently is defend muscular bigs as Jackson just doesn’t have enough strength or bulk yet.

All said very close comparison. However Jackson in a rookie year showed as much talent as a 3 year player Goga. That’s great for Jackson but speaks poorly for Goga whether it’s his fault or the Pacers fault for not developing him quicker.

I’m a fan of what Goga could be. I just don’t know if he can become the aggressive player showing better rebounding, defending, and scoring skills it takes like other starting NBA centers or even backups who are difference makers possess.

Realistically I think this season Goga has to drastically improve or his days as a Pacer are over as he becomes a FA after this upcoming season and he won’t warrant resigning considerations. That’s if they haven’t already decided to move him this off season.

Not sure who the Pacers would plug into the muscular center position as a replacement and backup for Turner maybe a veteran idk.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,073

Post#5 » by Wizop » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:03 pm

ARCC. Caitlyn has a series of podcasts going where the IndyCornrows.com crew discuss the roster. well worth a listen.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#6 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:42 am

Wizop wrote:ARCC. Caitlyn has a series of podcasts going where the IndyCornrows.com crew discuss the roster. well worth a listen.

I listened to the first Caitlin pod and also listened to Tony East’s pod discussing the Pacer exit interviews. Plan to listen to the complete pod series for both.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#7 » by Pacers Forever » Thu May 19, 2022 5:18 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=NGTexwi60CS36PzzYP9qyQ
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 19, 2022 1:37 pm

Good for Chris. Without the foot injury to finish the season, he really had a chance to make first team. Which says a lot, as it was a really competitive rookie class this year.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#9 » by Pacers Forever » Fri May 20, 2022 2:24 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Good for Chris. Without the foot injury to finish the season, he really had a chance to make first team. Which says a lot, as it was a really competitive rookie class this year.

Absolutely and hopefully he comes back rested, more knowledgeable, physically stronger, and ready for wear and tear of the physical NBA season grind.

It was a great and deep rookie class with more of them possibly breaking out this season.

Return to Indiana Pacers