2022 Summer/Offseason

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

2022 Summer/Offseason 

Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:05 pm

Thought we’d start a new one since it’s separate from the Shams catchall from midseason.

Keep draft player related stuff out of here and in the draft thread. Maybe keep any actual trade stuff if they include draft picks here?

To kick it off, Scott Agness was on the Mike Scotto Hoopshype podcast, which :dontknow:

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: 2022 Summer/Offseason 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:09 pm

Read on Twitter
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#3 » by Grang33r » Fri Apr 1, 2022 4:04 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Thought we’d start a new one since it’s separate from the Shams catchall from midseason.

Keep draft player related stuff out of here and in the draft thread. Maybe keep any actual trade stuff if they include draft picks here?

To kick it off, Scott Agness was on the Mike Scotto Hoopshype podcast, which :dontknow:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

He's been one of my favorite players on the Pacers since he arrived and i know hes hugely respected in that room, but sometimes availability is such a important factor for a team. He's too important to our team to miss as many games as he does. I think for the Pacers to officially flip the page from the era we've just had, they have to make this move.

No ill-will towards him, i wish him all the best. He's also going to be 30 early next season, so durability will only become a bigger issue and his age isn't in the time frame of the core we are building with (Haliburton, Duarte, Jackson, first round pick).
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#4 » by Grang33r » Fri Apr 1, 2022 4:08 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Thought we’d start a new one since it’s separate from the Shams catchall from midseason.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

More news and notes from this podcast- https://hoopshype.com/lists/pacers-rumors-myles-turner-malcolm-brogdon-buddy-hield-lance-stephenson-ricky-rubio/
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Apr 1, 2022 1:10 pm

Grang33r wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

He's been one of my favorite players on the Pacers since he arrived and i know hes hugely respected in that room, but sometimes availability is such a important factor for a team. He's too important to our team to miss as many games as he does. I think for the Pacers to officially flip the page from the era we've just had, they have to make this move.

No ill-will towards him, i wish him all the best. He's also going to be 30 early next season, so durability will only become a bigger issue and his age isn't in the time frame of the core we are building with (Haliburton, Duarte, Jackson, first round pick).

I totally respect his game, and he's an adult in the room, but I wouldn't say he was ever my favorite Pacer. Always was a bigger fan of Myles and Sabonis. But mostly, I see Brogdon needing to be moved because Haliburton needs to be given the keys to the franchise. I want to see Tyrese get 15+ shots per night and handle the ball as much as he physically can. Yes, we still would need a secondary ball handler to help Tyrese get a little wind and rest on some possessions here or there, but Brogdon isn't quite as conducive to what Hali and this franchise need.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#6 » by Wizop » Fri Apr 1, 2022 2:48 pm

I had Brogdon high on my draft wish list when he finished college. If I remember right, that was the year I had several players I liked whose last names began with the letter B.

however, with our draft pick likely to be in the 5-8 range, I think the BPA could be a 2 or a 2/3 and Brogdon would just be in the way of player development. injury concerns could make Hield easier to trade than Brogdon, but I think I'd move one or the other unless we get lucky and the draft gives us a front court player. even then, Brogdon's end of season interview should focus on his willingness to mentor.

Lance's return is also an issue. He wants to stay but he'd need to understand that he might not get minutes every game.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Apr 1, 2022 3:01 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wizop » Fri Apr 1, 2022 3:58 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Scott Agness: They’re opening up a national search, but if AD Barry Collier wants to keep it in the Butler family, Pacers assistant Ronald Nored makes a lot of sense.

I also tweeted in favor of Nored.
asero
Rookie
And1: 633

Post#9 » by asero » Tue Apr 5, 2022 1:05 am

May i know why the Pacers can only offer Jalen Smith $4.67M?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#10 » by Wizop » Tue Apr 5, 2022 1:25 am

asero wrote:May i know why the Pacers can only offer Jalen Smith $4.67M?
That's the amount Suns could give him in an extension and since they didn't extend it was max in new deal from them and we are stuck with the same rule even though other teams are not limited.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Apr 6, 2022 2:56 pm

Wizop wrote:
asero wrote:May i know why the Pacers can only offer Jalen Smith $4.67M?
That's the amount Suns could give him in an extension and since they didn't extend it was max in new deal from them and we are stuck with the same rule even though other teams are not limited.

Yup. To expound, it’s a rule that applies to first round pick contracts only, and only if their rookie contract option is declined.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Apr 7, 2022 5:56 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=DgWFXmR10TJfUe7PT9100w
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 716

Post#13 » by Pacers Forever » Thu Apr 7, 2022 9:25 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=DgWFXmR10TJfUe7PT9100w

It was funny what Caitlin posted about this showing where he denied that they were rebuilding :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 363

Post#14 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Sat Apr 9, 2022 6:05 pm

Would you guys be willing to give up Myles Turner + Brogdon for Wiggins + Wiseman + Poole?
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 716

Post#15 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Apr 9, 2022 6:23 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:Would you guys be willing to give up Myles Turner + Brogdon for Wiggins + Wiseman + Poole?

It does work in the trade checker once Brogdon can be traded.

While I like Poole and Wiggins it’s still to be determined if Wiseman is healthy enough to play a full season in the NBA which is my biggest concern with the trade.

I just don’t like giving up Turner without getting a solid rim presence back plus we really don’t need Poole as we’re stocked at guard with Haliburton, Hield, McConnell and Duarte. So for me it’s a no.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Apr 9, 2022 9:04 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=8yP6WZ05I0YQayAW0EcaTA
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#17 » by 8305 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:12 am

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:Would you guys be willing to give up Myles Turner + Brogdon for Wiggins + Wiseman + Poole?

The value isn’t too far off. But, if Myles can be resigned I probably pass. I see more upside to Myles paired with Hali than any other player in this deal.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:16 pm

Good question. There’s some useful pieces there. I think there’s some difficulty with the pieces based on what else we do this summer. If we keep Warren, or draft a combo wing, Wiggins is less interesting by a bit. If we keep Goga or Jalen Smith (albeit, this is highly unlikely due to cap rules), Wiseman is much less interesting. If we draft a guard like Ivey in the lotto, Poole is much less interesting.

And even then, with Haliburton, Duarte, a lotto pick, and everything else we have, the pieces returning kind of overlap a lot with each other and what we already have. So, it’d be a consideration, but probably depends a lot on what management would think of Wiseman.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#19 » by Wizop » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:28 pm

I think a Brogdon trade is likely, a Turner trade is unlikely, and trading both is extremely unlikely. My hope is we can turn Brogdon into a 3-4.

Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#20 » by Grang33r » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:31 pm

Pacers interested in Westbrook?

Per Shams in the Athletic-

The Indiana Pacers could emerge as a potential suitor for Westbrook, rival executives believe, but any trade involving the former NBA MVP will be complicated due to his massive salary and the Lakers’ next available first-round draft pick being in 2027, which the franchise will prioritize and thus be prudent in deciding the best route with Westbrook. Two other routes for Westbrook could be keeping him or discussing a contract buyout.

The Pacers are building around Tyrese Haliburton, but rival teams expect them to be open to trade conversations around Malcolm Brogdon and Buddy Hield this offseason. Hield has two years and $40.4 million remaining on his deal while Brogdon has three years and nearly $68 million. If Indiana wants to shed future salary, could it view the Lakers and Westbrook’s expiring deal as a match?

Westbrook said last week his plan is to return to the team next season but admitted it was not guaranteed because of the business element of the league.

The roller-coaster offseason begins.

Link- https://theathletic.com/3243084/2022/04/11/whats-next-for-lakers-notes-on-nick-nurse-russell-westbrook-and-more/

Return to Indiana Pacers