2022 Summer/Offseason

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 715

Re: 2022 Summer/Offseason 

Post#81 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:37 am

Wizop wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:So either the offers for Turner are so bad that they rather just keep him, or they have changed their mind about trading him and turn down offers even if they meet their asking price of two FRPs

Or they gauged the market for Sabonis and Turner and never had wanted to trade both of them. When Sabonis brought Haliburton, the die was cast. It wasn't that the Turner offers were bad but that the Sabonis offer was great.

Or Turner fits the way Carlisle wants to play. I don't think he was comfortable with a point center

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app

I agree that the Sabonis trade haul was the plan and turned out exceptional. I also agree that Carlisle seems to have an interest in Turner working with him pre season and that he’s a better defender than Sabonis.
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#82 » by Pacers Forever » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:00 am

boomershadow wrote:Brunson playing pretty well in the playoffs tho

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

He’s on fire and playing for a huge contract in free agency.

Earlier I said I wouldn’t pair him with Haliburton but if we acquire him it’s cool.

What I am noticing about the playoff talent is that most teams have very good guard play.

Where the Pacers are at a deficit is elite talented bigs which are fewer in number or all locked up at least till the following NBA year’s free agency.

This year’s free agency is not great. Pacers are gonna have to hit in the draft and possibly swing a trade for needed front court talent.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#83 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:17 am

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Two pacers related items from Marc Stein’s latest mailbag.

Sources say that the Pacers do hope to keep Turner long-term after they previously weighed Turner-centric trades going back to last summer.

League sources say that at least one other previously unreported team expressed interest in Wall this season: Indiana. Sources say that the Pacers' interest, though, was registered before they acquired Tyrese Haliburton from Sacramento and didn't go any further.

I can't believe they would go after Wall with his salary/injuries/age/attitude (my perception, at least). Have they not learned from the past?

This is the important part.
Sources say that the Pacers' interest, though, was registered before they acquired Tyrese Haliburton from Sacramento and didn't go any further.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#84 » by Tom White » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:47 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:This is the important part.
Sources say that the Pacers' interest, though, was registered before they acquired Tyrese Haliburton from Sacramento and didn't go any further.

I read it, but we are still talking about a guy who misses more time than he plays. Going back to 2018, he has played in 41-32-0-40-0 games. Granted this past year was a mystery between him and the Rockets.

Add to that, over the past three years he has been paid $38M, $41M and $44M to miss all those games, and is due to be paid $47M next season.

Haliburton or not, signing Wall would have been a bone-headed move.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:57 pm

Tom White wrote:

I read it, but we are still talking about a guy who misses more time than he plays. Going back to 2018, he has played in 41-32-0-40-0 games. Granted this past year was a mystery between him and the Rockets.

Add to that, over the past three years he has been paid $38M, $41M and $44M to miss all those games, and is due to be paid $47M next season.

He wasn’t a free agent, so here would’ve been no signing him.

Would you have taken on Wall’s contract if Houston gave the number 2 pick last year? That may not be realistic, but whenever you see “so and so talked about so and so but it went nowhere”, it could be as simple as “we called everywhere on everyone to see what the market was”. For any reports like this, and there will likely be a ton in any given year, remember to think about what Indy might want or gain out of it, and here’d likely be a reason that makes sense. Much like we wouldn’t ever trade for Westbrook to play him, but if we get a first for dealing lesser wanted salaries and clearing roster spots we can use on younger guys, maybe there’s a reason to consider something crazy like that?
Pacers Forever
Starter

Post#86 » by Pacers Forever » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:13 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Would you have taken on Wall’s contract if Houston gave the number 2 pick last year? That may not be realistic, but whenever you see “so and so talked about so and so but it went nowhere”, it could be as simple as “we called everywhere on everyone to see what the market was”. For any reports like this, and there will likely be a ton in any given year, remember to think about what Indy might want or gain out of it, and here’d likely be a reason that makes sense. Much like we wouldn’t ever trade for Westbrook to play him, but if we get a first for dealing lesser wanted salaries and clearing roster spots we can use on younger guys, maybe there’s a reason to consider something crazy like that?

It’s obvious Wall or Westbrook wouldn’t be a good teammate or a valuable piece that fits our youth movement.

I don’t like the FO taking on undesirable contracts just to get another teams first round draft pick unless you can immediately move on from the massive salary hit the player carries.

Not sure if an acquired player can be traded again in a short summer off season ? I’d hate having 35-44k in salary sitting on the bench being unused or if playing disrupting what you’re trying to build for a whole season. I guess the Rockets thought that Wall would disrupt their youth movement. I’d hate for the Pacers to tank back to back years to build more draft capital.

I’m hoping they can pull off trades to improve the top 8 player roster talent. We have good future depth gaining experience.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#87 » by boomershadow » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:51 pm

I'd get creamed for saying this in certain places, but if there is a deal that brings back a FRP or two and Hayward I'm actually all about it.

You can say he is injury prone, and that's true, but he has stilled played more games the last couple years than Brogdon or Warren.

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:08 pm

boomershadow wrote:I'd get creamed for saying this in certain places, but if there is a deal that brings back a FRP or two and Hayward I'm actually all about it.

You can say he is injury prone, and that's true, but he has stilled played more games the last couple years than Brogdon or Warren.

I hate to tell you, they still own a house in Indy, and his wife and kids spend an inordinate amount of time in Indy for the kids to spend time and get help from their grandparents/family.

We’re likely to hear Hayward whispers forever. :lol:
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 933

Post#89 » by Tom White » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:09 pm

boomershadow wrote:You can say he is injury prone, and that's true, but he has stilled played more games the last couple years than Brogdon or Warren.

I get what you are saying, but isn't that like buying a used car because it only had one flat tire instead of the car that had two flat tires?

I know. Bad comparison. But it was short notice. :lol:

Either way, it is still settling for less than we should.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#90 » by boomershadow » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:02 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
boomershadow wrote:I'd get creamed for saying this in certain places, but if there is a deal that brings back a FRP or two and Hayward I'm actually all about it.

I hate to tell you, they still own a house in Indy, and his wife and kids spend an inordinate amount of time in Indy for the kids to spend time and get help from their grandparents/family.

He sold that house in Fishers that they bought right before free agency that had everybody wandering if he bought it planning to sign here. I didn't know he had another house here, but with all that money it wouldn't surprise me.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:44 pm

boomershadow wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

He sold that house in Fishers that they bought right before free agency that had everybody wandering if he bought it planning to sign here. I didn't know he had another house here, but with all that money it wouldn't surprise me.

They do.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#92 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:36 am

Pacers Forever wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Tom White wrote:

It’s obvious Wall or Westbrook wouldn’t be a good teammate or a valuable piece that fits our youth movement.

I don’t like the FO taking on undesirable contracts just to get another teams first round draft pick unless you can immediately move on from the massive salary hit the player carries.

Not sure if an acquired player can be traded again in a short summer off season ? I’d hate having 35-44k in salary sitting on the bench being unused or if playing disrupting what you’re trying to build for a whole season. I guess the Rockets thought that Wall would disrupt their youth movement. I’d hate for the Pacers to tank back to back years to build more draft capital.

I’m hoping they can pull off trades to improve the top 8 player roster talent. We have good future depth gaining experience.

If you take on a high paid player like Westbrook who will make $47 million in 2022-23 you can trade him again one for one but not 1 for 3, but I'm not sure how long you have to wait. But as we've seen there is a little wiggle room when making deals after it seems the deal is done a 3rd team can be brought in and a guy gets flipped or added. That would be unlikely with a Wall or Westy because the 3rd team could just cut us out. If we sat on the player for 3 months then flipped him we might gain some value but it's not likely.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#93 » by pacers33granger » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:59 pm

He also makes more than those 2 combined. And he's still not reliable or even thst good. Different story if we get paid to take him on though.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#94 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:49 pm

pacers33granger wrote:

He also makes more than those 2 combined. And he's still not reliable or even thst good. Different story if we get paid to take him on though.

I could see the Hornets deciding to move on from Gordon so they can resign Bridges and play him at SF. They'd need to do something with Rozier if they were trading for Brogdan, but I don't want that guy at all. IF the deal was Brogdan for Hayward and one of their #1's this season I might go for that then just let Warren go. Problem is we'd have to let the Hornets pick the guy we want an complete the trade later after renouncing Warren and Rubio.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#95 » by Wizop » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:00 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Problem is we'd have to let the Hornets pick the guy we want an complete the trade later after renouncing Warren and Rubio.

that's done a lot. they'd pick who we tell them to. with no free agents or options involved, the draft could be completed on draft night. the NBA would announce it as a trade of the rights to the selected player rather than as a trade of the pick but that doesn't change anything.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#96 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:19 pm

Wizop wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:Problem is we'd have to let the Hornets pick the guy we want an complete the trade later after renouncing Warren and Rubio.

that's done a lot. they'd pick who we tell them to. with no free agents or options involved, the draft could be completed on draft night. the NBA would announce it as a trade of the rights to the selected player rather than as a trade of the pick but that doesn't change anything.

I think Hayward is over paid but he only has 2 years left now. Would it be better to trade Brogdan for GH and a pick and ride out his contract, being a guy from Indiana would it boost attendance even if what will likely be a down season in 22-23? When Hayward plays he's productive but he is 32 and would be the old man on this team and we have to face it we're not going anywhere for 2-3 years.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#97 » by Topofthekey » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:31 am

I'm ok with a Brogdon for Hayward swap as long as Pacers are well incentivized in the trade

I value Brogdon at a pick around #10-#12, if traded into cap space or for an expiring contract

I value Hayward at neutral to slight negative, so if he is the salary ballast coming back, I would need both #13 and #15 Hornets have

I would consider something like Brogdon + #31 for Hayward + #13 + #15

Even then, I'm not sure if getting #13 and #15 is that helpful for us

We have some similarities with the Hornets right now. We're both teams with a young core trying to make it to the playoffs

If they're looking at #13 and #15 as trade assets rather than building blocks, it feels like we're in a similar situation. #13 and #15 feel more useful to us as trading chips than actual draft picks to be used
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#98 » by boomershadow » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:06 am

I don't think a potential trade would be as simple as Hayward and picks for Brogdon if only because of the money difference.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#99 » by pacers33granger » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:46 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

I could see the Hornets deciding to move on from Gordon so they can resign Bridges and play him at SF. They'd need to do something with Rozier if they were trading for Brogdan, but I don't want that guy at all. IF the deal was Brogdan for Hayward and one of their #1's this season I might go for that then just let Warren go. Problem is we'd have to let the Hornets pick the guy we want an complete the trade later after renouncing Warren and Rubio.
It would take more than a mid first for me to want to take on that contract. It's 2 more years at basically double what he should be getting. It's still one of the worst contracts in the league imo.

basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#100 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:21 am

pacers33granger wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:He also makes more than those 2 combined. And he's still not reliable or even thst good. Different story if we get paid to take him on though.

It would take more than a mid first for me to want to take on that contract. It's 2 more years at basically double what he should be getting. It's still one of the worst contracts in the league imo.

I felt like asking for the 2 #1's might be too much and I didn't propose it in the trade board thread, I didn't want to poke the hornet's nest.

Return to Indiana Pacers