What happened with Victor Oladipo with the Pacers?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 276

What happened with Victor Oladipo with the Pacers? 

Post#1 » by HurricaneDij25 » Thu May 5, 2022 5:18 am

This question has been eating at me lately.

He was here and then he was gone in a snap.

One memorable season he won MIP and led us to 48 wins when we were barely expected to top 30 wins. Two injury-wrecked seasons later and rumors surfaced out of nowhere that he was seeking his escape plan to the arch-rival Heat.

No one really knew where these rumors transpired from, as Vic continued to make all the right comments in the media.

But just a handful of games into the 2020-21 season and steady production, he was gone. Dealt. And eventually made his way to Miami anyway.

A part of me still has respect for him, but not his current jersey. It all begs the question, where did the relationship between Oladipo and the Pacers go wrong?
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 716

Re: What happened with Victor Oladipo with the Pacers? 

Post#2 » by Pacers Forever » Fri May 6, 2022 8:44 am

I’m no expert on his situation but I think he was talking publicly to other players in the league and decided he wanted a fresh start elsewhere. Pacers got wind of it or he went to them.

Pacers traded him to try and gain a roster replacement (as he was in a walk situation) getting LeVert which we soon found out he was health compromised as much as Victor was. In the end it was a best case scenario for the break up.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#3 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri May 6, 2022 1:49 pm

I believe that after Victor went on that stupid Masked Singer show he got the big head thinking he was gonna become a pop star. He's a decent singer but nothing special. So like a fool he turned down $100 million over 4 yrs extension and started acting all squirrely we traded him for LeHurt and some 2nds then traded LeHurt for Rubio, a protected #1 from Cleveland and the 2022 Houston 2nd. So if Cleveland doesn't make the playoffs in 2023 we get 2 more 2nds. So that Houston 2nd this year may be the only value we get out of him really.
HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 276

Post#4 » by HurricaneDij25 » Fri May 6, 2022 11:35 pm

Another theory of mine is that he bought into the Miami propaganda during their 2020 bubble finals run that if he were to sign there then Giannis would follow.

It'd be cool if Sacramento offered him more than Miami would be willing to pay and that'd he'd reunite with Sabonis.

There's no way they're going to show him the money before Tyler Herro.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#5 » by pacers33granger » Sat May 7, 2022 1:19 pm

Part of me believes that he realized Indy would be a treadmill team with him locked up. After the injury he clearly was never going to be a 1st option and really wasn't prior to it. So we'd have a mismatched roster full of injury prone guys who are 2nd/3rd options at best. And he'd (at least in his mind) be the fall guy as the leader when it didn't go well.

The Bjorkgren hire and Brogdon's playstyle probably didn't help either.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat May 7, 2022 4:26 pm

Vic never wanted to be in Indy, specifically. Even when he was hitting his game winning shots, he wasn’t saying “THIS IS MY CITY” as the local media lauded him for. He was saying “THIS IS MY S***”. He always wanted to be in a bigger market. He always wanted to focus on his music and movies.

It wasn’t a fear of treadmilling, or difference of opinion of coaches, or even the injuries. He always wanted to be in Miami or LA. Now he is.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#7 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat May 7, 2022 4:30 pm

pacers33granger wrote:Part of me believes that he realized Indy would be a treadmill team with him locked up. After the injury he clearly was never going to be a 1st option and really wasn't prior to it. So we'd have a mismatched roster full of injury prone guys who are 2nd/3rd options at best. And he'd (at least in his mind) be the fall guy as the leader when it didn't go well.

If that's the case he screwed the pooch and missed out on at least $95 million.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#8 » by 8305 » Sat May 7, 2022 7:29 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Part of me believes that he realized Indy would be a treadmill team with him locked up. After the injury he clearly was never going to be a 1st option and really wasn't prior to it. So we'd have a mismatched roster full of injury prone guys who are 2nd/3rd options at best. And he'd (at least in his mind) be the fall guy as the leader when it didn't go well.

If that's the case he screwed the pooch and missed out on at least $95 million.

No question he made a $100 million miscalculation.
He’s had some decent moments in the Playoffs. Good for him, don’t think there has ever been a question about his work ethic.
He can still defend and make solid decisions. To his credit it appears he understands where he fits in Miami’s offense.
I’ll be curious to see if his ego will allow him to take less money and a secondary role on a good team or if he’ll insist on a bigger potential role and the money.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#9 » by Topofthekey » Sun May 8, 2022 3:21 pm

Whatever it is, I'm just happy that he and his drama are history as far as this team is concerned

Honestly, he has displaced Paul George on the ranking of Pacer players I dislike
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#10 » by boomershadow » Tue May 10, 2022 4:18 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Whatever it is, I'm just happy that he and his drama are history as far as this team is concerned

Honestly, he has displaced Paul George on the ranking of Pacer players I dislike

The roster we had around Paul George that last year was legit terrible. I think he miscalculated how good he could have been if we had teamed him up with Gallinari and Holiday, as the rumors say, but he wasn't entirely wrong for being frustrated about where the team was at that time.

basketballwacko2 wrote:I believe that after Victor went on that stupid Masked Singer show he got the big head thinking he was gonna become a pop star. He's a decent singer but nothing special. So like a fool he turned down $100 million over 4 yrs extension and started acting all squirrely

Yeah. All the signs I see point to someone telling him "you can't turn into a superstar playing in Indiana" and I have always secretly suspected his trainer David Alexander or someone like that.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#11 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue May 10, 2022 5:25 pm

boomershadow wrote:
Topofthekey wrote:Whatever it is, I'm just happy that he and his drama are history as far as this team is concerned

The roster we had around Paul George that last year was legit terrible. I think he miscalculated how good he could have been if we had teamed him up with Gallinari and Holiday, as the rumors say, but he wasn't entirely wrong for being frustrated about where the team was at that time.

basketballwacko2 wrote:I believe that after Victor went on that stupid Masked Singer show he got the big head thinking he was gonna become a pop star. He's a decent singer but nothing special. So like a fool he turned down $100 million over 4 yrs extension and started acting all squirrely

Yeah. All the signs I see point to someone telling him "you can't turn into a superstar playing in Indiana" and I have always secretly suspected his trainer David Alexander or someone like that.

Turning down that big extension has got to be the 2nd dumbest thing a guy could do, right after shooting yourself in the dick with a 12 gauge.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#12 » by Pacersike » Sat May 14, 2022 8:19 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Even when he was hitting his game winning shots, he wasn’t saying “THIS IS MY CITY” as the local media lauded him for. He was saying “THIS IS MY S***”.

Holly... you could be right. A big part of my reality suddenly changed. Opinions, so entertaining :lol: .
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#13 » by boomershadow » Sun May 15, 2022 12:08 pm

Pacersike wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Even when he was hitting his game winning shots, he wasn’t saying “THIS IS MY CITY” as the local media lauded him for. He was saying “THIS IS MY S***”.

Holly... you could be right. A big part of my reality suddenly changed. Opinions, so entertaining :lol: .

This is my city.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#14 » by Pacersike » Wed May 18, 2022 6:49 am

boomershadow wrote:Image

This is my city.

First thought, the Chinese claiming Indianapolis. Second thought, getting the personal joke :) .

Return to Indiana Pacers