The potential of Aaron Nesmith

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

The potential of Aaron Nesmith 

Post#1 » by Grang33r » Sat Jul 2, 2022 5:10 pm

I'm trying to read into Aaron Nesmith's NBA potential. Seems like the Pacers have a solid prospect, similarly to Jalen Smith when we acquired him. Nesmith will be just turning 23 when the NBA season begins. It's tough to look too much into his stats because he didn't really do much in Boston. In 98 career games, 4.2 pts/game, 2.2 trb/game, 0.5 ast/game. 41.7% FG shooting, 31% 3PT shooting, and 79.9% FT shooting.

So i looked back at his draft year previews to see what people were saying about Nesmith in the summer of 2020.

What is his potential?

Possesses a flamethrower jump shot; he projects easily as a high-end role player, though he flashes raw ability off the dribble.

Unlimited range; spaces the floor by demanding a defense’s attention. Skilled shooter off screens who takes tight routes, makes smart reads, and has elite fundamentals from catch to release.
Comfortable shooting 3s off the dribble. He has a nice side step and stepback 3 with clean footwork.
Straight-line driver who is decisive attacking closeouts. With his size and strength, he could develop into a good finisher.
Understands his role and excels within it. He’s a great screener, executes plays, takes smart shots, and keeps the ball moving.
Competitive on-ball defender; with some improved fundamentals and athleticism, he could become far more versatile.
Intelligent defender. Though he’s not a great athlete, his positioning makes him a deterrent at the nail and around the rim.

Shades Of: Dale Ellis, Danny Green, taller Buddy Hield

Link- https://nbadraft.theringer.com/2020/

Strengths: A pure shooter who put up incredible stats for the first half of the season, before succumbing to a foot injury that ended his season … Displayed tremendous range. Showed the ability to extend well past the college three and out to NBA three during his sophomore year … Has a clean, concise shooting motion, and gets shots off quickly after setting his feet … Learning some effective tricks to free himself up for shots, including ball fakes, jab steps, and moving without the ball … It’s obvious he has studied some of the game’s greats like Curry and Harden and implemented their ball skills, including step back jumpers to enhance his offensive game … Despite lacking great foot speed, Nesmith shows the ability to defend utilizing long arms, solid technique and effort … Defensive ability is enhanced by his length, maturity, focus and basketball IQ … An extremely prolific three point shooter, at least in his amazing 14 game window, knocking down 4.3 per game (on 8.2 attempts) … Was highly efficient shooting … Prolific scorer. Nesmith went for 34 points twice and topped the 25 point mark four other times in his 14 games … Excellent length with a 6’10 wingspan on the wing … A solid leaper and dunker when he gets an open angle to the rim. His long arms allow him to get well above the rim for finishes … Has a bit of an “old man’s game”. It’s not overly pretty and his legs and movements are a bit rigid, but he’s effective … Has an NBA ready body. Very good upper body strength, showing the ability to finish through contact … Shows some slick ball handling ability to create space for pull ups as well as creating driving opportunities … Steady free throw shooter at 82% in both freshman and sophomore seasons … Proved a better rebounder in freshman season, perhaps showing his ability when focused more on team play than scoring … 3-and-D type of wing prospect …

NBA Comparison: Cameron Johnson/Robert Covington

Link- https://www.nbadraft.net/players/aaron-nesmith/

Quotable

“A lot of our plays are designed to get him threes because he’s one of the best shooters I’ve seen at this level.”

-Vanderbilt coach Jerry Stackhouse

Link- https://www.nba.com/draft/2020/prospects/aaron-nesmith

Scouting Report: Nesmith's jumper could earn him a lot of money over the next decade. Even without much creativity to his ball-handling, Nesmith is lights-out shooting off the catch, and coaches will have a blast drawing up plays for the draft's best off-screen shot-maker.

Pro Comparison: Terrence Ross

Link- https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2891190-aaron-nesmiths-draft-scouting-report-pro-comparison-updated-celtics-roster

The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Re: The potential of Aaron Nesmith 

Post#2 » by 8305 » Sat Jul 2, 2022 5:42 pm

He may just need minutes and time to play through rough patches that all young players go through. A year on a team like the Pacers could be perfect for him. Hope he’s ready when the bell rings. I’m anxious to see what he can do.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 716

Post#3 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Jul 2, 2022 5:49 pm

My hope would be they add him to the summer league roster
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#4 » by Pacersike » Sat Jul 2, 2022 6:07 pm

Not promising, but worth to try at this stage of building.
Helsbyte
Senior
And1: 337

Post#5 » by Helsbyte » Sun Jul 3, 2022 3:35 pm

I am actually more bullish on Nesmith than most. Shot 37% from 3 his rookie year but struggled this past season. A plus defender with energy. He has the makings of a good 3&D SF and it would not shock me to see him put together a strong upcoming season.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#6 » by Grang33r » Sun Jul 3, 2022 3:43 pm

Helsbyte wrote:I am actually more bullish on Nesmith than most. Shot 37% from 3 his rookie year but struggled this past season. A plus defender with energy. He has the makings of a good 3&D SF and it would not shock me to see him put together a strong upcoming season.

Nice! I like it
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
colincb
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#7 » by colincb » Sun Jul 3, 2022 6:34 pm

Definitely worth a flyer and unlike the other players you received, excluding Theis, not just cap filler. Had a decent rookie season and then couldn't hit a shot as a sophomore, the game was too fast for him, and he played out of control (nicknamed "Crash" for a reason). Celtics fans had not given up on him, however, and if you flipped the two seasons, you'd say he had the potential to be a decent player. Reportedly hits shots in practice too.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 4, 2022 12:03 am

colincb wrote:Definitely worth a flyer and unlike the other players you received, excluding Theis, not just cap filler. Had a decent rookie season and then couldn't hit a shot as a sophomore, the game was too fast for him, and he played out of control (nicknamed "Crash" for a reason). Celtics fans had not given up on him, however, and if you flipped the two seasons, you'd say he had the potential to be a decent player. Reportedly hits shots in practice too.

I mean, Theis was a cap filler too, as he was necessary to make the deal work legally and is definitely not necessary (with him, Indy has 5 centers) to Indy. He’s a decent player. However, he’s not SOOO good that any team wants to keep him.
colincb
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#9 » by colincb » Mon Jul 4, 2022 1:19 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
colincb wrote:Definitely worth a flyer and unlike the other players you received, excluding Theis, not just cap filler. Had a decent rookie season and then couldn't hit a shot as a sophomore, the game was too fast for him, and he played out of control (nicknamed "Crash" for a reason). Celtics fans had not given up on him, however, and if you flipped the two seasons, you'd say he had the potential to be a decent player. Reportedly hits shots in practice too.

I mean, Theis was a cap filler too, as he was necessary to make the deal work legally and is definitely not necessary (with him, Indy has 5 centers) to Indy. He’s a decent player. However, he’s not SOOO good that any team wants to keep him.

Theis is a tradeable asset though, the other cap fillers are long-shot developmental players or candidates for overseas leagues.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 4, 2022 1:30 am

colincb wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Theis is a tradeable asset though, the other cap fillers are long-shot developmental players or candidates for overseas leagues.

Tradeable In that he’s not ugly enough of a contract that he can be moved as filler. Asset in that he can be played, but he’s also eternally in need of being moved for an upgrade. He’s been salary dumped 2 years in a row and returned the trading team no real asset other than being out from him.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#11 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 4, 2022 2:41 am

Seems like Nesmith had his confidence shattered in Boston. He wouldn't be the first player to lose his shot worrying about getting pulled if he missed.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#12 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jul 4, 2022 3:08 am

He was a tremendous dead eye 3pt shooter in college averaging over 50% in his 2nd year at Vanderbilt. He could not get significant time on court with the Celtics so we'll see he's only 6'5'' can he play the small ball sf if he can shoot anything like he did in college he will get playing time.
Pacers Forever
Starter
And1: 716

Post#13 » by Pacers Forever » Sat Apr 8, 2023 8:17 pm

Thoughts on his first Pacers season ?

I was down on him when I first saw his shooting inconsistency. I was a bit wrong.

42% overall but 35% from 3 and 49% from 2. His hustle and defense was definitely needed even though he was overmatched at times causing him to foul more out of necessity but I felt he did better than older Justin Holiday in that position.

I hope the Pacers can remedy the power forward situation which could make it less mismatches for Nesmith going forward.

I believe that he was a great get. Hopefully his shooting percentage improves. I’m not sure if he will mature into much more than a good depth player, but we strengthen our young squad.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#14 » by Wizop » Sat Apr 8, 2023 8:36 pm

Pacers Forever wrote:I hope the Pacers can remedy the power forward situation which could make it less mismatches for Nesmith going forward.

I believe that he was a great get. Hopefully his shooting percentage improves. I’m not sure if he will mature into much more than a good depth player, but we strengthen our young squad.

I think we fix the 4 and Nesmith becomes the starting 3. he's a solid defender and shots well enough to space the floor.
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by 8305 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:51 am

Wizop wrote:
Pacers Forever wrote:I hope the Pacers can remedy the power forward situation which could make it less mismatches for Nesmith going forward.

I think we fix the 4 and Nesmith becomes the starting 3. he's a solid defender and shots well enough to space the floor.

I’m open to using Nesmith to add value in a bigger trade. Nesmith and pick 25 to move up 5 to 10 slots in the draft.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#16 » by Wizop » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:43 pm

8305 wrote:I’m open to using Nesmith to add value in a bigger trade. Nesmith and pick 25 to move up 5 to 10 slots in the draft.

I think our first offer would be Theis. Next could be Smith or Jackson and I'd vote Jackson to leave.

Buddy should move to the second unit. will he accept that or want to be traded to a contender that wil lstart him?

bottom line though is we need to fix the defense and I don't see trading one of our best (only?) defenders as a step in the right direction. I move him to 3 where he won't have to defend bigger players.
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by 8305 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:53 pm

Wizop wrote:
8305 wrote:I’m open to using Nesmith to add value in a bigger trade. Nesmith and pick 25 to move up 5 to 10 slots in the draft.

I think our first offer would be Theis. Next could be Smith or Jackson and I'd vote Jackson to leave.

Buddy should move to the second unit. will he accept that or want to be traded to a contender that wil lstart him?

bottom line though is we need to fix the defense and I don't see trading one of our best (only?) defenders as a step in the right direction. I move him to 3 where he won't have to defend bigger players.

I think it was Caitlin Cooper who opined that Nembhard was the better defender. Next year I’d expect 1-3 to be Hali, Mathurin and Nembhard. There would still be plenty of minutes for Nesmith. I worry that the Pacers will fall into the trap of over valuing nice roll players while they are still short on higher end talent. I expect them to revisit big swings for OG or Mikal Bridges.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#18 » by Wizop » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:03 pm

8305 wrote:Next year I’d expect 1-3 to be Hali, Mathurin and Nembhard. There would still be plenty of minutes for Nesmith. I worry that the Pacers will fall into the trap of over valuing nice roll players while they are still short on higher end talent.

certainly possible. I think I'd prefer Hali, Mathurin, and Nesmith with Nembhard and McConnell being the second unit backcourt.

8305 wrote:I expect them to revisit big swings for OG or Mikal Bridges.

I think we'll look for a PF in free agency or a draft day trade but it may not be a "big name." defense should be more important than offense.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:06 pm

Wizop wrote:

Theis doesn’t move you up in the draft, unless you’re taking back a worse contract.

After this last year, I’m not sure that Jackson/Jalen move you up too much either. They definitely don’t move you down, though.

I like the idea of Nesmith as the backup 3/situational defender, though.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#20 » by Wizop » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:53 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I like the idea of Nesmith as the backup 3/situational defender, though.

while that could be his ultimate role, I see him starting there to begin the season backed up by a rookie (and K Brown on a two way) who has to earn a starting spot ahead of Nesmith. This assumes we do not acquire a veteran 3 by trade or free agency,

I should add that I'm from the school that believes Zeke ruined Tinsley by anointing him the starter in training camp.

Return to Indiana Pacers