The 2023 Draft watch thread

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

The 2023 Draft watch thread 

Post#1 » by Grang33r » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:50 am

Pacers expected to be poor this season and the draft looks loaded and the Pacers not only figure to be selecting high, but have 3-first round picks in this draft. So figured we have a thread to discuss players and college prospects throughout the season.

Victor Wembanyama
Height/Weight: 7'4" 229 lbs
Current Age: 18 years, 10 months
Draft Age: 19 years, 6 months

;feature=emb_imp_woyt

Scoot Henderson
Height/Weight: 6'2" 196 lbs
Current Age: 18 years, 9 months
Draft Age: 19 years, 5 months

;feature=emb_imp_woyt

Amen Thompson
Height/Weight: 6'7" 202 lbs
Current Age: 19 years, 10 months
Draft Age: 20 years, 6 months

;feature=emb_imp_woyt
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Re: The 2023 Draft class watch thread 

Post#2 » by Grang33r » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:57 am

Btw, starting next weekend, the nba app will begin to air every game of Wembanyama for those who want to take a closer look.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#3 » by Wizop » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:36 pm

NBA BIG BOARD podcast on YouTube has three recent shows reviewing top prospects. Scoot seems to be everyone's number two but if we pick second I'd listen to offers for the pick.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:50 pm

Wizop wrote:NBA BIG BOARD podcast on YouTube has three recent shows reviewing top prospects. Scoot seems to be everyone's number two but if we pick second I'd listen to offers for the pick.

I’m a pretty solid candidate. The kind of guy a team can be proud of!

But seriously, I have to get used to seeing Scoot Henderson listed :lol:
Wizop
RealGM

Post#5 » by Wizop » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:58 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:NBA BIG BOARD podcast on YouTube has three recent shows reviewing top prospects. Scoot seems to be everyone's number two but if we pick second I'd listen to offers for the pick.

I’m a pretty solid candidate. The kind of guy a team can be proud of!

But seriously, I have to get used to seeing Scoot Henderson listed
My issue with Scoot isn't about his talent. It's about Haliburton. But I understand why you can't pass a tier one talent.

reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#6 » by reanimator » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:19 pm

Pistons fan here. I think you guys are in a very similar position as us with a seemingly set backcourt the next decade but a chance at a high lotto filled with more onball players (Scoot, Amen). Very interested to see how your board feels about handling drafting another player like Scoot/Amen or trading down.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:31 pm

reanimator wrote:Pistons fan here. I think you guys are in a very similar position as us with a seemingly set backcourt the next decade but a chance at a high lotto filled with more onball players (Scoot, Amen). Very interested to see how your board feels about handling drafting another player like Scoot/Amen or trading down.

Indy needs top end talent. Take the best talent and figure it out. Much like Cade has the size to defend 2/3, Hali has the size to defend 2’s, and Mathurin has the size to defend most 3’s. We could always play smaller, or use whichever of Scoot/Hali/Mathurin doesn’t fit the best to trade for another piece. I just think that Hali’s unselfish nature and great passing ability would work really well with a Scoot, who’s a dynamic scorer.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wizop » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:32 pm

reanimator wrote:Pistons fan here. I think you guys are in a very similar position as us with a seemingly set backcourt the next decade but a chance at a high lotto filled with more onball players (Scoot, Amen). Very interested to see how your board feels about handling drafting another player like Scoot/Amen or trading down.
It's hard to judge how high the twins will go but I think they can be wings so I don't see them as the duplication Scoot would be. I can see trading the second pick though - think the Tatum draft. Assur could fall to the Cavs pick we own. I'm watching Whitehead, Whitmore, Miller, etc

Wizop
RealGM

Post#9 » by Wizop » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:36 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Indy needs top end talent. Take the best talent and figure it out.

I can't argue with that. If we're picking second, we probably take Scoot unless someone else emerges as equal talent. The hope then would be that a taller player would be available at our next pick

reanimator
Analyst

Post#10 » by reanimator » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:40 pm

Wizop wrote:
It's hard to judge how high the twins will go but I think they can be wings so I don't see them as the duplication Scoot would be. I can see trading the second pick though - think the Tatum draft. Assur could fall to the Cavs pick we own. I'm watching Whitehead, Whitmore, Miller, etc

I believe the gap between Vic/Scoot is larger than Scoot and Amen/Whitmore/Whithead so I'm of the trade down camp. That said, I get the logic of drafting another onball player and letting the cream rise to the top.

The Thompsons have the size but the lack of shots poses an issue for our backcourt in a way that isn't really a concern with Hali/Mathurin.

Some Pistons fans would trade Ivey to draft Scoot. Would any of you trade Hali/Mathurin to make space for Scoot?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:45 pm

reanimator wrote:
Wizop wrote:

I believe the gap between Vic/Scoot is larger than Scoot and Amen/Whitmore/Whithead so I'm of the trade down camp. That said, I get the logic of drafting another onball player and letting the cream rise to the top.

The Thompsons have the size but the lack of shots poses an issue for our backcourt in a way that isn't really a concern with Hali/Mathurin.

Some Pistons fans would trade Ivey to draft Scoot. Would any of you trade Hali/Mathurin to make space for Scoot?

Ivey/3 for 2? Maybe. We’ll have to see what happens by draft time. It’s insanely early to decide as we still have to see how it shakes out and valuation can’t be established yet. But it still runs the issue of running a 3 guard lineup that we may have traded down from the best player for, but with a “lesser guard”. But dealing Mathurin for Ivey makes it much worse, as Mathurin is a 2/3, and we’re going for another pure 1/2. Hypothetically, of course.

In a vacuum, Ivey doesn’t net the 2 seed by himself. It’s possible no one from that draft class can net that high of a pick. Either way, I think there’s going to be enough talent in this draft class that both Indy and Detroit are going to find talent they like pretty easy.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#12 » by reanimator » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:48 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Wizop wrote:It's hard to judge how high the twins will go but I think they can be wings so I don't see them as the duplication Scoot would be. I can see trading the second pick though - think the Tatum draft. Assur could fall to the Cavs pick we own. I'm watching Whitehead, Whitmore, Miller, etc

Ivey/3 for 2? Maybe. We’ll have to see what happens by draft time. It’s insanely early to decide as we still have to see how it shakes out and valuation can’t be established yet. But it still runs the issue of running a 3 guard lineup that we may have traded down from the best player for, but with a “lesser guard”. But dealing Mathurin for Ivey makes it much worse, as Mathurin is a 2/3, and we’re going for another pure 1/2. Hypothetically, of course.

In a vacuum, Ivey doesn’t net the 2 seed by himself. It’s possible no one from that draft class can net that high of a pick. Either way, I think there’s going to be enough talent in this draft class that both Indy and Detroit are going to find talent they like pretty easy.

Let me clarify, trade Ivey for whatever they could get back if they got #2 in the draft selection.

Would you or any Indiana fan trade Hali/Mathurin to clear space for Scoot if you got the #2? Lets say Mathurin has an incredible rookie campaign.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:53 pm

reanimator wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
reanimator wrote:

Let me clarify, trade Ivey for whatever they could get back if they got #2 in the draft selection.

Would you or any Indiana fan trade Hali/Mathurin to clear space for Scoot if you got the #2? Lets say Mathurin has an incredible rookie campaign.

No. Play all 3 for a couple years and figure it out. They have the size to play (all 3) together.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#14 » by Wizop » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:53 pm

reanimator wrote:Some Pistons fans would trade Ivey to draft Scoot. Would any of you trade Hali/Mathurin to make space for Scoot?

I wouldn't. Nor would I trade Duarte. Hield and McConnell could be moved or simply not resigned when their contracts expire.

Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#15 » by Grang33r » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:04 am

Wizop wrote:
reanimator wrote:Some Pistons fans would trade Ivey to draft Scoot. Would any of you trade Hali/Mathurin to make space for Scoot?

I wouldn't. Nor would I trade Duarte. Hield and McConnell could be moved or simply not resigned when their contracts expire.

Drafting Scoot second or not, i am not sure Duarte has a future on this team regardless. He just doesn't seem to be all there this season.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#16 » by Wizop » Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:47 pm

Grang33r wrote:i am not sure Duarte has a future on this team regardless. He just doesn't seem to be all there this season.

He's off to a slow start but I'm not worried. the sample size is very small.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#17 » by reanimator » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:02 pm

Grang33r wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Drafting Scoot second or not, i am not sure Duarte has a future on this team regardless. He just doesn't seem to be all there this season.

Is the belief behind this that Mathurin can defend wings or is a 6th man or simply letting all 3 guards compete and keep the 2 best?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#18 » by Wizop » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:41 pm

reanimator wrote:
Grang33r wrote:Drafting Scoot second or not, i am not sure Duarte has a future on this team regardless. He just doesn't seem to be all there this season.

Is the belief behind this that Mathurin can defend wings or is a 6th man or simply letting all 3 guards compete and keep the 2 best?

at this point Nesmith is the best defender of the 4 wings - Hield, Duarte, Mathurin, and Nesmith. Duarte seems to be having a little trouble finding his role with Benn, but long term Hield will move on and the rotation will provide plenty of minutes for the other 3 and a draftee (or one of our two-ways).

Maturin is definitely not a 6th man unless you use the Red Auerbach approach of bringing your best player off the bench after six minutes. I think Carlisle is just using the rookies need to earn a starting spot approach. I also think he wants to play at a fast pace which requires more frequent substitutions and giving Benn his minutes later balances the units. I doubt we're worried about playoff rotations this season.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#19 » by reanimator » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:06 pm

Wizop wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Grang33r wrote:Drafting Scoot second or not, i am not sure Duarte has a future on this team regardless. He just doesn't seem to be all there this season.

at this point Nesmith is the best defender of the 4 wings - Hield, Duarte, Mathurin, and Nesmith. Duarte seems to be having a little trouble finding his role with Benn, but long term Hield will move on and the rotation will provide plenty of minutes for the other 3 and a draftee (or one of our two-ways).

Maturin is definitely not a 6th man unless you use the Red Auerbach approach of bringing your best player off the bench after six minutes. I think Carlisle is just using the rookies need to earn a starting spot approach. I also think he wants to play at a fast pace which requires more frequent substitutions and giving Benn his minutes later balances the units. I doubt we're worried about playoff rotations this season.

How would you integrate Scoot in with Hali/Mathurin/Duarte? If Mathurin can guard 3s, the calculus is very easy but otherwise I'm curious.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#20 » by Wizop » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:14 pm

reanimator wrote:How would you integrate Scoot in with Hali/Mathurin/Duarte? If Mathurin can guard 3s, the calculus is very easy but otherwise I'm curious.

Mathurin, Duarte, and Nesmith can all guard most 3's and Scoot may be too good to pass on, but Pacer fans should not be upset if the ping pong balls leave us a little lower where the need for a taller SF and the BPA lines cross. we really don't need to take the ball out of Haliburton's hands, and Nembhard will be his backup when TJ expires.

Return to Indiana Pacers