Trades and Transactions?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Re: Trades and Transactions? 

Post#201 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:23 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Warriors need a back up center. What is wrong with Goga Bitadze?

Buried for so long behind Turner and Sabonis. Yanked around in playing time, so needs solid runs of time to get into the swing of things. Still needs development. A little better in a half court offense than in a run and gun. Can’t tell if it’s that he needs more work on screening, or if Indy just doesn’t make good contact on screens as a coaching point of emphasis to slip more often?
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,682

Post#202 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:10 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Warriors need a back up center. What is wrong with Goga Bitadze?

Buried for so long behind Turner and Sabonis. Yanked around in playing time, so needs solid runs of time to get into the swing of things. Still needs development. A little better in a half court offense than in a run and gun. Can’t tell if it’s that he needs more work on screening, or if Indy just doesn’t make good contact on screens as a coaching point of emphasis to slip more often?

Can he move his feet on defense if switched onto a guard. No center can defend guards for long but is his ability to defend guards at least average for a center?

How is his rim protection?

How is his basketball IQ for team defense?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#203 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:14 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Can he move his feet on defense if switched onto a guard. No center can defend guards for long but is his ability to defend guards at least average for a center?

How is his rim protection?

How is his basketball IQ for team defense?

I mean, he was just waived, rather than able to be traded for anything. You can probably read between the lines that he has some flaws to his game.

He can switch a little, but he’d ultimately need rescuing. If he were able to switch into guards, he’d have solid trade value. He’s mobile enough…not a statue.

He can absolutely block shots. He’s still getting a feel for the nba game of how much contact he can dish out, as he plays much more internationally every summer than he gets to play in the nba.

He needs minutes to play though mistakes. I HIGHLY doubt GS is going to be willing to maybe lose some games to let him develop. You’re looking for a 10+ vet that can plug right in. Goga would be a bit further along Wiseman, but y’all still wouldn’t have minutes for his development.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#204 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:00 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=RWevqjVO1_R8uagrX7i-WQ
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#205 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:08 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=-skhjPJkuTiteG72pi-wxA
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,271

Post#206 » by boomershadow » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:59 am

Hopefully Goga sees some run in Orlando
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#207 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:36 pm

I feel good about Goga finding another Job.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,760

Post#208 » by Colbinii » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:24 pm

#26 for DFS

Trade completed at the start of the 2023-2024 league year.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#209 » by Tom White » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:53 pm

Colbinii wrote:#26 for DFS

Who, or what, is DFS?
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#210 » by Colbinii » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:02 pm

Tom White wrote:

Who, or what, is DFS?

Dorian Finney-Smith

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#211 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:36 pm

Really easy yes for Indy. I imagine Brooklyn would want a good amount more, though.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#212 » by Colbinii » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:41 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Really easy yes for Indy. I imagine Brooklyn would want a good amount more, though.

Melton was traded with an injured player [Danny Green for matching salary] and #23. Maybe #31 is added but I don't see the value in Melton/DFS to be anything meaningful.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#213 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:28 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Melton was traded with an injured player [Danny Green for matching salary] and #23. Maybe #31 is added but I don't see the value in Melton/DFS to be anything meaningful.

Current day? Maybe. But at the time of the respective trades? I think DFS would carry more value than Melton had at the time of that trade. Melton had been moved in several trades and was stuck behind several guys to lessen his value. I think DFS has years of starting and being a key player on playoff contenders. Add in positional value as a combo forward versus Melton as a combo guard, and I just think that DFS carries more value.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#214 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:35 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Add in positional value as a combo forward versus Melton as a combo guard, and I just think that DFS carries more value.

certainly the positional value is big for the Pacers. but I'll be very disappointed if we don't get at least one 3-4 in the draft given our many picks and if we do, I see no need to block his development with an older player.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#215 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:21 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Add in positional value as a combo forward versus Melton as a combo guard, and I just think that DFS carries more value.

certainly the positional value is big for the Pacers. but I'll be very disappointed if we don't get at least one 3-4 in the draft given our many picks and if we do, I see no need to block his development with an older player.

If we get a 3/4 in the draft, and still added a guy like DFS, that would give us 2 "actual" 3/4's on the roster. I don't think they would take minutes from each other. I think they would possibly block Nesmith (more of a pure 3, maybe a 2/3) or Duarte (a definite 2/3).

If we deal a Buddy Hield, as Mathurin and Duarte slide back to more of the minutes at the 2, there'd be more than enough minutes for a draftee and a DFS. In fact, we would desperately need them both.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#216 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:43 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:If we get a 3/4 in the draft, and still added a guy like DFS, that would give us 2 "actual" 3/4's on the roster.

3 with Nwora and if Oshae sticks, and I'm not sure he will, he'll need to learn to play some 3 too, and we have some 4/5s, but I take your point and don't disagree completely. still DFS is 29 which would put him in the Hield and Theis camp for me. before the collapse when we were rolling along above 500, guys that age fit. we can only hope management has a handle on why we collapsed. was it injuries to Haliburton and Turner, or did our rookies hit the wall, or did other teams finally have enough tape on us to understand our weaknesses???
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#217 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:59 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:If we get a 3/4 in the draft, and still added a guy like DFS, that would give us 2 "actual" 3/4's on the roster.

3 with Nwora and if Oshae sticks, and I'm not sure he will, he'll need to learn to play some 3 too, and we have some 4/5s, but I take your point and don't disagree completely.

After seeing his playing time this year evaporate, if you were Oshae, would you even consider returning to Indy, unless it's your absolutely only offer on the table this summer? And Nwora might work out here, he might now. Either way, he was an acquisition we were paid to take on. If he earns some of the remaining minutes at the 3/4 from DFS/draft pick, that's fine. He just won't take any starting minutes from them.

Either way, I just don't think that Nwora and Oshae factor in any meaningful way to playing time for a likely top 10 pick and a Dorian Finney-Smith.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#218 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:22 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:if you were Oshae, would you even consider returning to Indy, unless it's your absolutely only offer on the table this summer?

absent a move that reduces our number of 2023 picks, I don't see how we can afford to make Oshae an offer.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#219 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:36 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:if you were Oshae, would you even consider returning to Indy, unless it's your absolutely only offer on the table this summer?

absent a move that reduces our number of 2023 picks, I don't see how we can afford to make Oshae an offer.

If he was a key player, the number of picks we hold wouldn’t matter. :dontknow:
Wizop
RealGM

Post#220 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:07 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:If he was a key player, the number of picks we hold wouldn’t matter. :dontknow:

Right. The concept applies to every player who does get substantial minutes and is on an expiring contract. Goga and Taylor were in the same boat. Will Hill or Johnson retire?

Return to Indiana Pacers