Moving Forward into 2023 & beyond?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

JMaster5K
Senior
And1: 224

Moving Forward into 2023 & beyond? 

Post#1 » by JMaster5K » Mon Aug 7, 2023 10:19 am

Tyrese is now 23. If the Pacers want to be legit, consensus playoff team & potential contender in the East,... say in 2025-2026?

Do they need to make some adjustments to the roster? if so, where? Anyone you would target? Anyone you are expecting to grow into a potential all-star from the current group? Just looking to get a general idea of the thoughts around the team & how you all think it might grow?
Solid
Bench Warmer
And1: 158

Re: Moving Forward into 2023 & beyond? 

Post#2 » by Solid » Mon Aug 7, 2023 9:45 pm

I think those are the sort of questions we carry into this season while we look at what we've now assembled. I think we have hope that we may have finally solved our power forward spot, but it bears watching while we sort through a guilty abundance of smaller wings. There I think we likewise expect to find a strong starting two guard, and at least solid back ups at both the two spot and the three.
At the one and the five we seem good to go for the foreseeable future. So that means we will closely try to determine if we have a guy that can step up and nail down the starting small forward position.
I'm a little dubious on that front. So I believe we'll have our trade targets under close gaze both at the deadline and then again next summer. What further actions we need to do will become much more clear once we see how our pieces fit together under the lights.
For us a good but superfluous guard and one of our first round picks, and probably a big should go in a consolidation trade for a very good small forward. Imo. However we should be in no hurry for more exchanges now, unless some good surprise drops our way.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#3 » by JMaster5K » Tue Aug 8, 2023 2:42 pm

Solid wrote:I think those are the sort of questions we carry into this season while we look at what we've now assembled. I think we have hope that we may have finally solved our power forward spot, but it bears watching while we sort through a guilty abundance of smaller wings. There I think we likewise expect to find a strong starting two guard, and at least solid back ups at both the two spot and the three.
At the one and the five we seem good to go for the foreseeable future. So that means we will closely try to determine if we have a guy that can step up and nail down the starting small forward position.
I'm a little dubious on that front. So I believe we'll have our trade targets under close gaze both at the deadline and then again next summer. What further actions we need to do will become much more clear once we see how our pieces fit together under the lights.
For us a good but superfluous guard and one of our first round picks, and probably a big should go in a consolidation trade for a very good small forward. Imo. However we should be in no hurry for more exchanges now, unless some good surprise drops our way.

You make a really good point. It is hard to start thinking about what we need & where we go from here,... when we haven't really figured out what we currently have. Walker is still unproven in real game action. So far, Toppin is only a guess on what he will be with this team. Maybe an educated guess,.. but still a guess. Same holds true for Brown. We haven't seen what the younger players are going to bring after growing last season. It probably is time to see what we have & how it all comes together before we make any more changes. :)
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#4 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Aug 8, 2023 3:35 pm

I don't think there is anyone on the team who is as good as Haliburton is and or will become as good as he is. Mathurin and Nembhard are good players and have some room to grow. Turner is what he is, that's a very good shot blocking Center and good shooter but i don't expect him to get much better. Walker and others need 2-3 years to see if they are any good.
granger05
Sixth Man
And1: 504

Post#5 » by granger05 » Wed Aug 9, 2023 4:43 pm

There's an Athletic article up on Haliburton on Team USA. It's behind a paywall so I'll keep my quoted section brief.

LINK TO THE ATHLETIC

“The way he plays just empowers everybody,” Austin Reaves said. “He likes to run in transition and he gets everybody involved. I don’t know if he took two or three shots yesterday (in Saturday’s scrimmage), but he probably had five, six, seven assists. And just the way that he plays and gets everybody involved is something that I enjoy.”

I'm not a huge Austin Reaves guy, but the point is that other players notice how good Haliburton is and how much fun it is to play with him. I think the team is smart to be maintaining financial flexibility since we may be able to make an actual recruiting pitch at some point in the near future. We'll never be an FA destination, but I do think we'll be able to land some of the "prove-it" type contracts on guys that believe they can get paid after Haliburton helps them look good. Basically, we'd be the guys getting Bruce Brown on his previous contract rather than this one. And I do like the Bruce Brown contract because I think it helps us maintain flexibility since it's essentially a one-year deal that we can trade or cut bait with, but I think Haliburton can be seen as a guy that gets dudes paid similar to what Jokic did for Brown and what LeBron has done for a bunch of dudes over the years.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,581

Post#6 » by jowglenn » Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:22 pm

Obviously a lot can change in two or three years; but presumably the Pacers plan is to have Halliburton become the All-NBA player he is on track to be, and then hopefully Mathurin or Walker develop into an All-Star. Mathurin is already a great scorer, and with some work I could see him being a 25 point per game lead scorer type. If Walker can become Draymond-lite and Nembhard is a steady third guard, it would only take maybe one good free agent signing to make a genuine contender.

What's exciting is that the Pacers could very well run a veteran starters / youth bench move this year and really allow the young guys to gel together. Hali/Hield/Brown/Toppin/Turner starting, Nembhard/Mathurin/Nesmith/Walker/Jackson bench. In two years, Turner either stays or leaves, Brown will either stay or leave, Hield might already be long gone; but the youth will grow into starting roles. In two years, a Hali/Mathurin/????/Walker/Turner lineup could be starting in the Conference Finals very easily.
Tom White
Starter
And1: 973

Post#7 » by Tom White » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:14 pm

jowglenn wrote:In two years, a Hali/Mathurin/????/Walker/Turner lineup could be starting in the Conference Finals very easily.

Not unless that backcourt greatly improves its defense. You are also putting a lot of faith in Mathurin and Walker developing a lot.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,581

Post#8 » by jowglenn » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:20 pm

Tom White wrote:
jowglenn wrote:In two years, a Hali/Mathurin/????/Walker/Turner lineup could be starting in the Conference Finals very easily.

Not unless that backcourt greatly improves its defense. You are also putting a lot of faith in Mathurin and Walker developing a lot.

I have a lot of faith in Mathurin - I think he's a bona fide top tier scorer in a few years. He already gets to the line at a massive rate, one rarely achieved by rookies; his shot will improve, his decision making will improve, he'll grow the skills around his fundamental drive-to-the-basket-and-score strength.

Walker, we'll see. I like him a lot and who knows how he'll pan out.

As for backcourt defense, sure, it could be an issue; Nembhard at least is a very solid defender. Mathurin has lots of room to grow.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,848

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:40 am

Myles Turner is in the rarest of NBA breed having spent so long with one franchise. I don’t know that I would automatically assume he’ll be a Pacer for more than this year and next, for which he is already under contract. He’s young, but it’s just tough to assume that he can be kept forever.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#10 » by SmashMouthRod » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:40 pm

Im hoping that the franchise is monitoring the Ant Edwards situation closely. After hearing how close he and Tyrese is he could be a potential add in a cpuple seasons through trade or free agency. The stars like playing with their friends these days. Thats something to try and take advantage of. In the meantime monitoring young players who are on the same timeline is the way to go. This roster needs to strike gold on a good young forward with star potential. I personally believe if they surround Myles Buddy and Tyrese with three and D forwards; with good length its a playoff team right away.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:09 am

SmashMouthRod wrote:Im hoping that the franchise is monitoring the Ant Edwards situation closely. After hearing how close he and Tyrese is he could be a potential add in a cpuple seasons through trade or free agency. The stars like playing with their friends these days. Thats something to try and take advantage of. In the meantime monitoring young players who are on the same timeline is the way to go. This roster needs to strike gold on a good young forward with star potential. I personally believe if they surround Myles Buddy and Tyrese with three and D forwards; with good length its a playoff team right away.

What’s the Ant Edwards situation? He already extended for an additional 5 years on the Haliburton contract.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#12 » by JMaster5K » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:33 am

jowglenn wrote:Obviously a lot can change in two or three years; but presumably the Pacers plan is to have Halliburton become the All-NBA player he is on track to be, and then hopefully Mathurin or Walker develop into an All-Star. Mathurin is already a great scorer, and with some work I could see him being a 25 point per game lead scorer type. If Walker can become Draymond-lite and Nembhard is a steady third guard, it would only take maybe one good free agent signing to make a genuine contender.

What's exciting is that the Pacers could very well run a veteran starters / youth bench move this year and really allow the young guys to gel together. Hali/Hield/Brown/Toppin/Turner starting, Nembhard/Mathurin/Nesmith/Walker/Jackson bench. In two years, Turner either stays or leaves, Brown will either stay or leave, Hield might already be long gone; but the youth will grow into starting roles. In two years, a Hali/Mathurin/????/Walker/Turner lineup could be starting in the Conference Finals very easily.

Yeah,.. I think they will start the vets this year as well, and let the youngsters earn their opportunities. Much like they did with Reggie coming off the bench his first year behind John Long. He had to beat out John to get the opportunity to start. I think that's one of the reasons they specifically brought in (and paid for) Bruce Brown. If Benn wants to start, He's going to have to play so well on both ends that he moves Brucey B to the bench. That would be exactly the type of growth he would need to take the first steps to becoming the player the Pacers think he could be.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#13 » by JMaster5K » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:37 am

SmashMouthRod wrote:Im hoping that the franchise is monitoring the Ant Edwards situation closely. After hearing how close he and Tyrese is he could be a potential add in a cpuple seasons through trade or free agency. The stars like playing with their friends these days. Thats something to try and take advantage of. In the meantime monitoring young players who are on the same timeline is the way to go. This roster needs to strike gold on a good young forward with star potential. I personally believe if they surround Myles Buddy and Tyrese with three and D forwards; with good length its a playoff team right away.

I'm not sure we could get AntEd, but your point is well made. I didn't realize just how close Tyrese and Obi are prior to the post-trade interview (where Toppin talked about it). I guess they've been meeting up (including families) & hanging out in the offseason for a couple of years. Just reinforces your point that today, NBA players want to play with their friends & enjoy playing as well as be successful. Having someone like Ty could at least put the Pacers into conversations for free agents & trades that they wouldn't be able to approach without him?
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#14 » by JMaster5K » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:46 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Myles Turner is in the rarest of NBA breed having spent so long with one franchise. I don’t know that I would automatically assume he’ll be a Pacer for more than this year and next, for which he is already under contract. He’s young, but it’s just tough to assume that he can be kept forever.

I think if the Pacers can win & become a contender during his 'window', then he could be here a while. If it looks like the Pacers are going to take a bit longer to develop, and they can get a big to follow after Myles, I would expect them to treat Myles like a 'bridge' player & at the right time for him and the team, help him get someplace he wants to go. (Like with Malcolm). Can only guess, but it seems at this point, like all the options are on the table, Myles & the Pacers are on the same page, being open & talking to each other. As long as that's the case, the next couple of years look pretty good.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:09 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Myles Turner is in the rarest of NBA breed having spent so long with one franchise. I don’t know that I would automatically assume he’ll be a Pacer for more than this year and next, for which he is already under contract. He’s young, but it’s just tough to assume that he can be kept forever.

I think if the Pacers can win & become a contender during his 'window', then he could be here a while. If it looks like the Pacers are going to take a bit longer to develop, and they can get a big to follow after Myles, I would expect them to treat Myles like a 'bridge' player & at the right time for him and the team, help him get someplace he wants to go. (Like with Malcolm). Can only guess, but it seems at this point, like all the options are on the table, Myles & the Pacers are on the same page, being open & talking to each other. As long as that's the case, the next couple of years look pretty good.

Due to CBA reasons, Myles cannot extend again on his current contract. He has to hit unrestricted free agency. I think Indy can keep him, but they will have to pay full price, and maybe more than other teams. And every offseason, some team just randomly decides to overpay a player. We’ve done it with Bruce Brown and Doug McDermott. Charlotte did it with Nic Batum and Gordon Hayward. Etc.

It’d be nice to keep him. I just wouldn’t build a long term plan out of assuming that we can? That’s all I really meant.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#16 » by JMaster5K » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:01 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:

Due to CBA reasons, Myles cannot extend again on his current contract. He has to hit unrestricted free agency. I think Indy can keep him, but they will have to pay full price, and maybe more than other teams. And every offseason, some team just randomly decides to overpay a player. We’ve done it with Bruce Brown and Doug McDermott. Charlotte did it with Nic Batum and Gordon Hayward. Etc.

It’d be nice to keep him. I just wouldn’t build a long term plan out of assuming that we can? That’s all I really meant.

Cool,.. I hear ya. Yeah,.. I agree, it would be really nice to keep Myles for more than the next couple. I still believe he has some growth left in him. His first couple of years were a bit of role confusion. He really is a pretty 'low mileage' player for his age & experience. I just don't see that many players already in the NBA that you could use as a 'plug & play' replacement for him?

But your point is well made. We can't just plan on him being here. We do need options because, as you pointed out, someone could just throw an unbelievable bag at him. LOL :) I definitely wouldn't feel bad if they did. :)

He will be a UFA Summer of 25. We will just have to hope that he and the team work things out, or that another option comes into view.

LOL - just looked on Spotrac. Our list of FA come the summer of 25 (with QO's).

Bruce Brown Jr. SG - $34,573,170 Early Bird
Myles Turner C - $29,892,750 Bird
Daniel Theis C - $18,092,568 Bird
T.J. McConnell PG - $17,670,000 Bird
Isaiah Jackson PF $6,422,432 $13,306,143 Restricted Bird
Jalen Smith PF - $10,293,033 Bird

Hmmmmm,... the 2024 draft isn't strong, but 2024 and 2025 do have a few credible bigs between them,... =)
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,360

Post#17 » by Wizop » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:53 pm

Read on Twitter
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,360

Post#18 » by Wizop » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:59 pm

we have two firsts again next year and plenty of expiring contracts to create roster spots for them.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:49 pm

JMaster5K wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
JMaster5K wrote:

Cool,.. I hear ya. Yeah,.. I agree, it would be really nice to keep Myles for more than the next couple. I still believe he has some growth left in him. His first couple of years were a bit of role confusion. He really is a pretty 'low mileage' player for his age & experience. I just don't see that many players already in the NBA that you could use as a 'plug & play' replacement for him?

But your point is well made. We can't just plan on him being here. We do need options because, as you pointed out, someone could just throw an unbelievable bag at him. LOL :) I definitely wouldn't feel bad if they did. :)

He will be a UFA Summer of 25. We will just have to hope that he and the team work things out, or that another option comes into view.

LOL - just looked on Spotrac. Our list of FA come the summer of 25 (with QO's).

Bruce Brown Jr. SG - $34,573,170 Early Bird
Myles Turner C - $29,892,750 Bird
Daniel Theis C - $18,092,568 Bird
T.J. McConnell PG - $17,670,000 Bird
Isaiah Jackson PF $6,422,432 $13,306,143 Restricted Bird
Jalen Smith PF - $10,293,033 Bird

Hmmmmm,... the 2024 draft isn't strong, but 2024 and 2025 do have a few credible bigs between them,... =)

Yeah. I'm not saying that we shouldn't hope he sticks around. We should hope that. He's a good player and invested in Indiana. I'm just saying we shouldn't assume he will be here more than 2 more seasons. That's all.
JMaster5K
Senior

Post#20 » by JMaster5K » Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:20 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Yeah. I'm not saying that we shouldn't hope he sticks around. We should hope that. He's a good player and invested in Indiana. I'm just saying we shouldn't assume he will be here more than 2 more seasons. That's all.

Yup, I am right there with you. I do think that after this season, there may be a few 'big' decisions to be made,... (sorry about the pun,.... :o :clown: )

It wouldn't be all that surprising if Stix showed up ready to prove he is the future at the 5? He is just 23 this year. The most common comp for him prior to his draft was Myles. :D He hasn't grown as much as Myles did coming into the league (physically), but his game is very similar to Myles at the same age with a bit more focus on offense vs defense. He's at that point where a bit of mentoring from Myles could really pay off. I-Jacks seemed to play much more intuitively during summer league this year. Or,... everything could just hang, 'status quo'. Going to be fun to see what happens. =]

Return to Indiana Pacers