jermaine oneal health

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

jermaine oneal health 

Post#1 » by CourtsideTV » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:26 pm

whens he gonna be back. i just got offered j.oneil for horford and i'd do tha in a heart beat but i want to make sur he's gonna be playing again.
Work Hard
count55
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3

Post#2 » by count55 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:30 pm

We don't know...the last "official" prognosis was a week or two, but he's basically out indefinitely.
I have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly, neither do you.
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#3 » by CableKC » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:07 pm

My guess is that JONeal won't sit out for the rest of the season. It's just a matter of when. My $$$ is that he will return sometime soon just to be showcased to other GMs before the trade deadline...not as much to show what he can do....but more that he can still do it and that he is pretty much healthy.

In the long run...JONeal may produce solid #s like he did before.....but I really think that the way that JO'B wants JONeal to play....from a Stat POV for Fantasy Basketball....it really hinders his performance in the Box Scores.

If you have the chance to get Horford for an oft-injured JONeal....I would take guaranteed Production from Horford over whatever JONeal can give you.
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
Orlock78
Junior
And1: 10

Post#4 » by Orlock78 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:12 pm

After the way he has talked lately I would be shocked if he came back within the 2 weeks thats listed. If he weren't being shopped, they probably would have said 2 months or more. And if you read what Jermaine says, and not what the organization says you'll see that he has been a A LOT of pain. Even if he does come back he isn't going to put up starting numbers. I wouldn't do that trade.
CableKC
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#5 » by CableKC » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:29 pm

Oh....sorry...my bad....I thought you had JONeal and they were offering Horford.

NM.....don't make that trade. That other Fantasy GM is in the same boat as Bird is right now....no one would take on JONeal until they see him play. :lol:
- In 2024, you are not voting for a "Democrat" or "Republican". You are voting for the Party that will defend Democracy and protect the most vulnerable among us.

#THE_GOP_IS_DEAD
#IT_IS_THE_PARTY_OF_TRUMP_NOW
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#6 » by CourtsideTV » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:35 am

ty guys
Work Hard
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#7 » by Grang33r » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:16 pm

I really wish he would return and play well so we can deal him. I'm sick of his garbage. Only one way we can truly rebuild, and thats to start over. Get rid of O'Neal because let's face reality, when our "new kids" are ready for playoff contention (and i mean Granger, Williams, and guys we will draft next 2 years) O'Neal will be past the hill and won't help us much.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:41 pm

We have two options:

A) We can ask JO to return and play to try and showcase his value. However, asking him to play hurt might hurt him more, or he won't play well enough while hurt to actually increase his value. It would only increase the idea that he is fading in talent, when really, he needs to get healthy.

or

B) We allow JO to rest for much of the season and heal. We hope that his knee heals before the end of the season so he can get about a month of solid, top-notch, JO type play in and then we can trade him in the off-season.

Either way, I simply don't think that trading him by the trade deadline this/next month will allow us to recoup much value on him at all, but would probably actually hurt the franchise by saddling us with bad players/contracts, and no building blocks for the future.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#9 » by Grang33r » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:05 pm

I do agree with you Scoot. I think our asking price is too much. I think we can deal O'Neal and in the draft-day deal and add a first round pick. I don't think we need to deal him for as much as some people want. Solid young player, first round pick and a filler would be enough for me.
LakersSquad
Analyst
And1: 132

Post#10 » by LakersSquad » Mon Feb 4, 2008 5:51 am

Do yall think a vince cater for Jo trade is possible?
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#11 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Mon Feb 4, 2008 7:40 am

I really think ya'll are underestimating JO.

I still love JO and love that he's still with us. He is still a dominate player, the only reasons his numbers are down was he was playing hurt trying to impress the new coach.

JO still plays with heart every game, he takes a lot of charges. We didn't see him attack the rim because he was hurting. I feel that when JO comes back full strength, he will return to his All-Star status. I also think he's taking notice to Granger becoming a great player. I think JO and Granger could work on their chemistry and could be a dominate pair. Like Artest and O'Neal were.

I haven't given up on JO yet. I know he's injury prone, but hes done too much for this Franchise to throw him under the buss in my opinion. Give him the benefit of the doubt, besides from injuries, he has not given us a reason not to. I understand his injuries have been detrimental in the past, but he can't help it. The fact is, we won't get good trade value for him, so lets just let him ride the bench this year. We'll probably tank, end up with a top 7 pick. We get a player who can contribute right away(and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a higher pick than that). Then we can have Granger/O'Neal with a nice young talent. I think we could compete next year if JO would pull a Tinsley and stay healthy all year. I expect Granger to be an All-Star next year. We wouldn't have a great shot at a Championship but we'd have a nice young core. I'm not saying don't ever trade JO, but we really have no need to be in a hurry.

It's 2:40 in the morning, I'm at that point that I feel like making the same point over and over, so if thats the case I apologize haha.
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#12 » by Patterns » Mon Feb 4, 2008 7:58 am

"The most id offer for JO right now is Kwame and Sasha."
- B-Scott

B-Scott is good at predicting values. :rofl:
Kwame+Critt for Gasol. :rofl:
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#13 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 10:21 am

Since JO has an early termination option for next season, I believe that if he is not traded by Feb 21 then he cant be traded until the option for next season is officially picked up. That would be toward the end of June I believe

JO does not need to be showcased. Other GM know he has a problem & its a question of whether they are willing to gamble by Feb 21 - and if Pacers are willing to deal him.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#14 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Feb 4, 2008 3:25 pm

DGrangeRx33 wrote:I really think ya'll are underestimating JO...I haven't given up on JO yet.

That's pretty much where I'm at. It sucks that he can't stay healthy, and I wish to God now that he'd never spent those summers with the national team, I think he just played too much basketball there for a couple of years and has never really recovered from it.

I'm hopeful, though, that he still can recover, with enough rest. And Lord knows he doesn't have to prove he has talent.

Sit him for the rest of the season, if that's what it takes. I'm ready to throw in the towel on this season anyway. If the Pacers can head into next year with a healthy O'Neal and a lottery-pick guard who is possibly ready to contribute right away, then next season is going to be a hell of a lot better than this one.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#15 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Mon Feb 4, 2008 5:26 pm

mizzoupacers wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's pretty much where I'm at. It sucks that he can't stay healthy, and I wish to God now that he'd never spent those summers with the national team, I think he just played too much basketball there for a couple of years and has never really recovered from it.

I'm hopeful, though, that he still can recover, with enough rest. And Lord knows he doesn't have to prove he has talent.

Sit him for the rest of the season, if that's what it takes. I'm ready to throw in the towel on this season anyway. If the Pacers can head into next year with a healthy O'Neal and a lottery-pick guard who is possibly ready to contribute right away, then next season is going to be a hell of a lot better than this one.

Agreed. I think he just needs rest, if he sits out the whole season a few things happen.

1. He gets healthy.
2. We get a good draft pick.
3. Granger takes over the team.

All 3 things would benefit us greatly. A healthy JO, plus a confident Granger, to go with a nice young player will be great. Add an improved Diogu and Williams with an off-season of work and I think we are right back with the Easts best.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#16 » by Grang33r » Mon Feb 4, 2008 6:44 pm

^^

How much does his value drop though if he does indeed sit out the rest of the season? Top 10? Mid 1st. Late 1st + mid level prospect?

I think we are tied down with O'Neal. If i were Indiana i'd really try to deal him now and hope he can come and say he can play, but if he isn't moved at the deadline, i'd shut him down. Whats the point of playing him and winning a game we shouldn't? Sit him, take the loss on lost value but it'd be greater value then if he got hurt again, but also, worry about our pick. Make sure we pick high up and hope for the best. We must move away from O'Neal and this team is Granger's but also Dunleavy's. I was watching the Rockets game the other night and he was unreal in that game. He is alot of fun to watch. He wants the ball and isn't afriad of letting it fly. If we surround those 2 players with good players (lucky trade, adding good bench player via free agency and solid draft picks) we can turn this ship around in good time. I have faith.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#17 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Mon Feb 4, 2008 6:51 pm

Grang33r wrote:^^

How much does his value drop though if he does indeed sit out the rest of the season? Top 10? Mid 1st. Late 1st + mid level prospect?

I think we are tied down with O'Neal. If i were Indiana i'd really try to deal him now and hope he can come and say he can play, but if he isn't moved at the deadline, i'd shut him down. Whats the point of playing him and winning a game we shouldn't? Sit him, take the loss on lost value but it'd be greater value then if he got hurt again, but also, worry about our pick. Make sure we pick high up and hope for the best. We must move away from O'Neal and this team is Granger's but also Dunleavy's. I was watching the Rockets game the other night and he was unreal in that game. He is alot of fun to watch. He wants the ball and isn't afriad of letting it fly. If we surround those 2 players with good players (lucky trade, adding good bench player via free agency and solid draft picks) we can turn this ship around in good time. I have faith.

Thats what I'm saying. He is a great player. He was playing hurt this year. Thats a huge part of why his numbers were down and why he stopped taking it to the hole. Plus he was trying to learn a new offense. If he sits out this year, he will come back next year healthy and be dominate again.

His trade value wouldn't matter at that point. We'd have O'Neal, Granger, and a young stud leading this team.

Return to Indiana Pacers