Pacers v Magic

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

glasket
Rookie
And1: 11

Pacers v Magic 

Post#1 » by glasket » Sun Feb 3, 2008 12:37 am

No game thread yet?

End of first and it is a high scoring game 34 all.

Granger and Howard playing well for their teams. Deiner had a good first quarter as well.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,298

Post#2 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Feb 3, 2008 12:50 am

Fiiiiiine we'll use yours. :-p

Obie is proving to be a bad coach again. Every game, we leave the 3 wide open, then we play the best C in basketball and he decides to guard the 3 and leave Dwight Howard open. I'm starting to think he's the worst coach in the NBA, I'd prefer Isiah Thomas(coach, not GM) to this.

I will say this though, he is finally getting through to Granger about being more aggressive. So some signs of life.
PacerGuy
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#3 » by PacerGuy » Sun Feb 3, 2008 1:07 am

Murph is playing well - hope it's an "audition" for him as I could see him as a good fit w/ them for just an expiring or 2.... :pray:
Larry Bird, You are now on the Clock! ( 3/24/08 )
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#4 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Feb 3, 2008 1:10 am

Granger was on fire, and all of a sudden no balls get passed to him. I just don't understand.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#5 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Feb 3, 2008 1:34 am

Granger has made 35 FT's in a row.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#6 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Feb 3, 2008 1:42 am

Obie is such a bad coach. Granger holds Turk to like 3 points in the first half. Then Obie puts Dunleavy on Turk in the second half.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#7 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Feb 3, 2008 2:04 am

20 first half points by Granger and Obie shuns him. Awesome.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#8 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Feb 3, 2008 2:13 am

1st half Granger shuts Turk down. Dunleavy gets burned by Lewis.

2nd half Granger shuts Lewis down. Dunleavy gets burned by Turk.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#9 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Feb 3, 2008 2:36 am

Granger had just made a 3 literally one second earlier, and Obie runs a play for Dunleavy.

I give up. I'm not sure how many more games I can watch this year. I don't mind seeing us losing. But Obie is an idiot, plain and simple, the worst coach I have ever seen. Has no clue what he is doing.
notque
Veteran

Post#10 » by notque » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:57 am

If dunleavy can't get a good defensive matchup, Shawne should take the brunt of mins.
parso15
Junior
And1: 4

Post#11 » by parso15 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 11:41 am

You guys seem not to be very high on Dunleavy... I always thought he & Turk were comparable players in terms of overall basketball skills but after yesterdays game I think Hedo has a step on him.
What do you think would you rather have Turkoglu on your team?
count55
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3

Post#12 » by count55 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 1:50 pm

I like Turkoglu's contract better, but that's about it.

I don't think there's a lot of difference between the two...Turk seems to be the better shooter/scorer, Dunleavy the more versatile offensive player...both would be the last guy (not named Travis Diener) I'd want guarding somebody when I need a stop.

It's one of those situations where I think you guys are happy with Turk and we're happy with Junior, so I'd just let it be.
I have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly, neither do you.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,423

Post#13 » by shackles10 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:10 pm

I think we saw the problem with an Obie offense at the end of the game yesterday. When Murphy came in for Foster in the last few minutes with the game still in the balance it opened up the lane. Howard was pulled out to guard Murphy and they were able to get to the lane pretty easily because Orlando plays little defense. The problem is even though the opportunities were there, as we saw by their success when they actually tried this strategy, but the team decided it was best to keep jacking up 3's. Most of those 3's missed badly. It was a 5 point game with a few minute left so I just don't get that strategy. The Magic announcers even commented on how Howard was not really in there and then seconds later were mentioning how we've seen several clankers in a row.

Maybe next game those shots will fall, they'll pull out a win, and we'll see all kinds of threads about how so and so is on fire. That's the problem though. "So and so" has to be on fire for that to happen.
PacerGuy
Analyst

Post#14 » by PacerGuy » Sun Feb 3, 2008 4:23 pm

shackles10 wrote:I think we saw the problem with an Obie offense at the end of the game yesterday. When Murphy came in for Foster in the last few minutes with the game still in the balance it opened up the lane. Howard was pulled out to guard Murphy and they were able to get to the lane pretty easily because Orlando plays little defense. The problem is even though the opportunities were there, as we saw by their success when they actually tried this strategy, but the team decided it was best to keep jacking up 3's. Most of those 3's missed badly. It was a 5 point game with a few minute left so I just don't get that strategy. The Magic announcers even commented on how Howard was not really in there and then seconds later were mentioning how we've seen several clankers in a row.

Maybe next game those shots will fall, they'll pull out a win, and we'll see all kinds of threads about how so and so is on fire. That's the problem though. "So and so" has to be on fire for that to happen.

Is this not what Daniels is suppose to be best at?.... & yet, no MD in the lineup to exploit it. Bad coaching.... :nonono:
Larry Bird, You are now on the Clock! ( 3/24/08 )
parso15
Junior
And1: 4

Post#15 » by parso15 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 6:38 pm

count55 wrote:I like Turkoglu's contract better, but that's about it.

I don't think there's a lot of difference between the two...Turk seems to be the better shooter/scorer, Dunleavy the more versatile offensive player...both would be the last guy (not named Travis Diener) I'd want guarding somebody when I need a stop.

It's one of those situations where I think you guys are happy with Turk and we're happy with Junior, so I'd just let it be.

Fair enough just one little disagreement... Hedo at times can be effective on defense. Against the Celtics after Pierce went for 20 the first half Hedo took him in the second and held him to I think 4 points... but is he a stopper no he is not :o

OK second disagreement :oops:
Hedo is more versatile player of the two he played all positions except Center nowadays plays point-forward. Actually he started his career playing point...

Still Dunleavy is a solid player... he has a high basketball IQ.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#16 » by PR07 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 9:21 pm

This team has been competing every night, we just haven't been able to close games out. It'll be interesting to see what our plans are for the trade deadline.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,423

Post#17 » by shackles10 » Sun Feb 3, 2008 9:47 pm

PacerGuy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Is this not what Daniels is suppose to be best at?.... & yet, no MD in the lineup to exploit it. Bad coaching.... :nonono:

Yep. The problem with Obie and this team is the teams strengths don't match with his coaching style. The team's best asset is losing value b the day because he's a lousy coach to exploit JO. It's to the point now that many think he'd be better off just sitting the bench so his value doesn't go any lower. JO is an elite player, so that's a terrible thing to say. Obie is making the rebuilding process even more difficult. They aren't bad enough to get a great pick, and he's hurting the value of the trading pieces. Those are the 2 ways you get better because there isn't any cap money available and not the best market for that anyways.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#18 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Feb 4, 2008 3:45 pm

I made the drive in from Missouri for this game, first time I've actually seen the Pacers play this year since they are never on national TV any more.

My overall impression: it's not the coach, it's the players.

On defense, seemed like everyone made their rotations, and the strategy seemed pretty sound--they were leaving Howard to stop dribble penetration, and other than one stretch in the first quarter, it worked, because Orlando's point guards didn't do a very good job of hitting Howard with a pass quick enough.

Problem is, the Pacers pretty much have to play a scrambling defense, because we just don't have very good individual defenders. Partly, Orlando just shot the ball well too.

On offense, we are a team, I think, that pretty much lives and dies with the jump shot. If the shots are falling, then we are in good shape. Unfortunately, when the shots didn't fall for a good stretch of the third quarter, we fell into a hole we couldn't get back out of, because we couldn't get the defensive stops we needed to close the gap.

This is our team right now...they play hard, they play pretty smart, but they have to be damn near perfect for four quarters to beat a team as good as Orlando.

Overall, I was actually encouraged by what I saw. Following the Pacers from afar via League Audio Pass, I was starting to toy with "Blow 'er Up!!!" scenarios. Now I think the Pacers have a nice collection of complementary players but need a couple of elite-level additions to be a solid contender in the East.

Where do we get those couple of really good players? I dunno. If we're REALLY lucky, then a healthy O'Neal becomes one of them, and the other is a really good guard who we get in next summer's draft. :dontknow:

Odds of both of those things happening for next year are probably well south of 50 percent, but I still like that better than blowing it up and waiting 5-7 years on a rebuilding plan that probably doesn't have particularly greater odds of being successful.
count55
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3

Post#19 » by count55 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 4:26 pm

At this point, I'm thinking about just following mizzou around the board and saying "Yeah, what he said."

Agree with this and the "building the team up" post pretty completely.
I have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly, neither do you.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#20 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Feb 4, 2008 10:32 pm

Me and Count, we are like the Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh of the realgm Pacers board...two great minds, on the same page, working together in harmony.

:P

Return to Indiana Pacers