Diogu

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,787

Diogu 

Post#1 » by floppymoose » Mon Feb 4, 2008 6:07 am

What's the update on Ike? I've seen a few Pacer games this season but Ike has been missing. I know he was hurt earlier but it seems he should be getting some burn now. Is there a known story on this?
count55
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3

Post#2 » by count55 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 12:03 pm

It's one of three things: he's more hurt than they say, he's once again stuck in a situation where his style is a poor fit for the team's style, or he's simply not good enough.

At this stage, the last one is getting more likely, but it's really impossible to say. This is the fourth coach in three years that hasn't seen fit to give him consistent minutes.
I have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly, neither do you.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#3 » by Grang33r » Mon Feb 4, 2008 2:14 pm

I'm pretty sure it's not the last part of that. Diogu has proven he is good enough for the NBA, maybe not a great starter as many thought, but he can play the game and when healthy he proved it early this season. I think he is hurt and playing him limited now will cause him for further injury so they are resting him until our season is garbage time... and since he doesn't really fit all that well anyways, it just makes sense to rest him. So it's a little bit of both i think.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#4 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Feb 4, 2008 3:18 pm

I'm thinking more and more that Diogu is like Austin Croshere, in that he can look really good against certain teams (because he can score a lot of points against certain matchups), but the rest of the time he really can't help you all that much.

But then it's hard to tell when he barely ever plays.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#5 » by Grang33r » Mon Feb 4, 2008 6:10 pm

mizzoupacers wrote:I'm thinking more and more that Diogu is like Austin Croshere, in that he can look really good against certain teams (because he can score a lot of points against certain matchups), but the rest of the time he really can't help you all that much.

But then it's hard to tell when he barely ever plays.

lol

Diogu still has a way to go before he can be a Austin Croshere.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#6 » by PR07 » Mon Feb 4, 2008 7:06 pm

I think it's his defense. If you don't get it defensively, Obie won't play you. I think we've seen this a little bit with Shawne Williams and Travis Diener (earlier in the season).
pacerspsycho
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#7 » by pacerspsycho » Mon Feb 4, 2008 8:41 pm

PacersRule07 wrote:I think it's his defense. If you don't get it defensively, Obie won't play you. I think we've seen this a little bit with Shawne Williams and Travis Diener (earlier in the season).

we wouldn't be playing anyone if that was the case :oops:
notque
Veteran

Post#8 » by notque » Mon Feb 4, 2008 8:50 pm

I agree completely with the matchup issue. Diogu is the type of guy that can go off in certain matchups, but is a liability against most the league.

That's what happens with tweeners. If he was 6-10 or 7 foot he would be a monster. But he isn't.

The simple truth is, there are a lot of guys that end up being better than him. Would you rather shove Diogu in, or get Harrison minutes where you can get some blocks?

Would you rather have Diogu in, or Shawne Williams.

Diogu has developed very good skills for his size. Problem is, that only makes up for his size. To be a good player at his size, he has to be an excellent player.

Does that make sense? His defense has improved. But that still just means he can counter the already huge height disadvantage. That doesn't make him a stopper, it just makes him viable.

You can see how hard and skilled he plays to make up for the height disadvantage, and does a great job. But a guy with less talent (Harrison) does the exact same job, and gives you blocks.
glasket
Rookie
And1: 11

Post#9 » by glasket » Mon Feb 4, 2008 11:20 pm

Personally I think Diogu can play well in the system. He doesn't need the ball too often and with a spread defence he can operate on the inside on the few times he will get the ball inside.

He plays with intensity and hustle and although he is not the man you want to put on a Shaq, Duncan, Garnett etc he does play good D.

He has also shown that almost everytime he has played he played well.

I say Obie should give him a chance to play.
To me it seems Harrison may not be a Pacers next season, so why not give Ike a chance to develop through playing time? I think he is capable.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,051

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 4, 2008 11:36 pm

I think Ike Diogu would be fine in a system next to a Sean Williams (New Jersey) instead of next to a Jeff Foster or Troy Murphy.

I think he needs a shot-blocker, enforcer type to play next to effectively 30 minutes a night. A young Ben Wallace would be a good combo.

But without that, he's struggling to help he team offensively more than he might hurt them defensively.
notque
Veteran

Post#11 » by notque » Mon Feb 4, 2008 11:58 pm

He plays good defense, it's just he has to, or he'll get killed on the block. So he gives a ton of effort just to play average defense.

You can see it when he's on the low block defending against a much taller guy. He uses every bit of ingenunity, and all of that effort merely negates the height advantage.

Whereas Harrison with less skills doesn't use any ingenunity, and has about the same low block defense. Because guys can't just go over him.

That's the thing about Diogu. You can see he's very skilled. When he's on the low block, he's really working on defense because he flat out has to, or he gets killed.

If you could put Diogu's head into Harrison's body, you'd have an absolute beast.

I don't see how Diogu ever becomes a starting caliber player.

The most likely event I think that happens is he develops a very, very consistent jumper, and a move to get around people, similar to a SF.

He needs to go more towards SF than C to me. Still sit at PF, but gain SF skills. He already has a decent jumper.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#12 » by Sleepy51 » Tue Feb 5, 2008 12:06 am

I was pretty much anti-Ike in GS. But I've watched some of his minutes this season for the Pacers, and I saw some positive changes.

The biggest one was he looks more fit. You guys have him carrying more weight in his upper body and less around his waist. If that translates into being more explosive, then his game really could come alive at this level. In GS, he was heavy and not explosive enough for his height.

If he can condition his body better and get off the floor quicker, then he can negate some of the height disadvantage with skill and energy. In college, he was a technician. He had all the moves, and enough range to get whatever he wanted against the mediocre athletic/size level of conference play. But, his habits were built on technique, not effort. At the NBA level, the tide has risen around him, and he needs to add the energy/explosive element to his game that he hasn't needed before.

I think that this offseason is going to be the make or break for him. Will he come back next season even more fit, more lean and more athletic? If he does, I could see really good things happening for him. But if he doesn't realize that his body needs to improve for "next level" play then he will continue to have trouble finding a way to make consistent impact.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?

Return to Indiana Pacers