Appreciation for Mike Dunleavy...

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

writerman
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#1 » by writerman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:09 pm

got to say again how pleased I am with this guy...getting out of his personal hell at GS (they actually like Jackson there--IMO that says worlds about the knowledegeabilty of many of their fans) has done wonders for him.

Will he ever be a superstar? Nope. But he's considerably better than just average, and has a high basketball IQ. He can be a solid #2 man or at worst #3 man (we need to find/develop a new #1) for a successful team.

He's a keeper and one of the pieces we need to rebuild this franchise into a contender again.
PurduePacers
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#2 » by PurduePacers » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:27 pm

I agree completely. In a perfect world we would have a big star (who is great on and OFF the court) with Danny as the #2 option and Mike as the #3. Maybe we will get lucky in the draft...
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,838

Post#3 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:54 pm

I don't know, hes done well but I'd rather move him. I truly think hes the main reason our defense sucks. He gets beat off the dribble then our defense falls apart trying to make up for his mistake.

Now that Granger is taking the ball to the basket there isn't much that Dunleavy does that Granger doesn't.

I want to move him while his stock is high. If we pick up a true SG in the offense it destroys are future. Dunleavy won't be benched making Granger a tweener PF, ruining his career, and it would leave no place for Williams in the starting lineup for at least 3 years.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate him or anything, I'm just trying to look at the long run.

Just my opinion though.
zhenyasj
Bench Warmer
And1: 476

Re: Appreciation for Mike Dunleavy... 

Post#4 » by zhenyasj » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 pm

writerman wrote:got to say again how pleased I am with this guy...getting out of his personal hell at GS (they actually like Jackson there--IMO that says worlds about the knowledegeabilty of many of their fans) has done wonders for him.

Will he ever be a superstar? Nope. But he's considerably better than just average, and has a high basketball IQ. He can be a solid #2 man or at worst #3 man (we need to find/develop a new #1) for a successful team.

He's a keeper and one of the pieces we need to rebuild this franchise into a contender again.

Are you serious? I don't want to start a flame war again, but that's an idiotic statement. Obviously you have no clue what you are talking about.
ProudPacer17
Ballboy

Post#5 » by ProudPacer17 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:43 pm

DGrangeRx33 wrote:I don't know, hes done well but I'd rather move him. I truly think hes the main reason our defense sucks. He gets beat off the dribble then our defense falls apart trying to make up for his mistake.

Now that Granger is taking the ball to the basket there isn't much that Dunleavy does that Granger doesn't.

I want to move him while his stock is high. If we pick up a true SG in the offense it destroys are future. Dunleavy won't be benched making Granger a tweener PF, ruining his career, and it would leave no place for Williams in the starting lineup for at least 3 years.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate him or anything, I'm just trying to look at the long run.

Just my opinion though.

I would have to disagree with you here. Not that with Dunleavy on the court Williams is leftout, but that we need to have Williams in the lineup. Dunleavy is more of a complete package than Williams. And, you know what you are going to get from Dunleavy each night. One, Dunleavy's defense is not all that bad, especially for a slow white guy. It's a definate improvement over Shawne Williams'. Also, the basketball IQ that Dunleavy brings to the court everynight is irreplacable to the team we currently have. It's just my opinion that Williams is not a very smart basketball player and lacks maturity that would keep him on the court for more than the short stints he is currently getting from coach O'Brien. And I think it's safe to say that, unfortunatly, the only contributions Williams is giving to this team are off of the court, and they aren't good contributions. So, all in all, I think Dunleavy and Granger can play well while they are both on the court and leaving Williams out of the picture.
Charcoal Filtered
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#6 » by Charcoal Filtered » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:55 pm

Attacking the GS fans for liking Jackson is out of line. He has not had any off the court issues since the trade and helped them with one of the biggest playoff series upsets in NBA history. Your comment makes the rest of your post look bad.
The NBA: Where convicted tax evader Ken Mauer happens to officiate.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,690

Re: Appreciation for Mike Dunleavy... 

Post#7 » by dc » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:04 pm

writerman wrote:got to say again how pleased I am with this guy...getting out of his personal hell at GS (they actually like Jackson there--IMO that says worlds about the knowledegeabilty of many of their fans) has done wonders for him.

We actually like Jackson because he's helping us win games all the while being team captain of one of the youngest teams in the league.

But I guess we should just hate him anyways to be more knowledgable like you.

BTW, I hated Dunleavy but I don't think any less of Pacer fans who do like him. If he's one of your favorite players, then good for you. Glad you found somebody you like and can cheer for.
TSC25
Veteran

Post#8 » by TSC25 » Sat Mar 1, 2008 1:01 am

I think Jacks has done an awesome job in GS,but Im not sure about Dunleavy,I see as an ok #3 or maybe even a 6th man,he seems to be a good shooter,but I just dont like his passing game,way to many TO from his position and not enough asst.
count55
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3

Post#9 » by count55 » Sat Mar 1, 2008 3:11 am

I would like to apologize to any GS fans who wandered into this thread. I did not see the comment included in the OP and believe it completely unnecessary.

I am happy with Dunleavy, and I do think he has done a good job. At the same time, I am happy that Jackson is no longer here. While I thought he did fine-to-good as a player here, I (like many others) grew tired of the extra-curriculars and silliness.

It appears that both players have flourished in their new environments and that both fan bases have been happy with their new additions. Is there any reason that we can just live with that?

Broad insults to fanbases are childish and asinine. I can assume that we'll have no more of it from the Pacer fans. I also would expect the GS fans would take this post as a closure to that particular part of the thread and not seek to continue any pissing match.

Thanks
I have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly, neither do you.
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 310

Post#10 » by GswStorm3 » Sat Mar 1, 2008 8:52 am

Wow that low blow was totally uncalled for.
Charcoal Filtered
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Charcoal Filtered » Sat Mar 1, 2008 9:33 am

writerman wrote:I'm not gonna hate on Jackson, either. He played hurt when not many others on this roster seemed to give a rats ass. He also played with passion--not always with good judgement, but he at least seemed to care a lot more than some guyswho seemed yto me to be yawning their way through a good part of the season. Used properly, he can be a nice third option or a 1st or second option off the bench.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=557333

writerman wrote:
All this bitching about Stephen Jackson, for instance. One of the few guys who evidently was in condition to play most games last year and who acts (however inappropriately at times) like he actually gives a damn, and everyone is acting like the Red Queen in Alice (off with his head!) I'll bet if he would tone it down this year, then there will be people bitching about how he doesn't play with any passion... :roll:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=571279

writerman wrote:
I'm I Jax's biggest fan? Far from it. But I respect his work ethic, and even his sometimes misdirected passion.

As for the Club Rio thing--let he who is guiltless cast the first stone...

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=571279

writerman wrote:
they actually like Jackson there--IMO that says worlds about the knowledegeabilty of many of their fans

Wished the search function for the site was better.
Charcoal Filtered
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Charcoal Filtered » Sat Mar 1, 2008 10:11 am

Here is some more S Jax love from the writerman:

writerman wrote:I feel sorry for SJax. Seems like everything he does on offense turns to dog crap lately, but I like his hustle on the defensive end. He won at least one game for us with his hustle that we would otherwise have lost.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=590181

writerman wrote:You think SJax has earned his way back to a starting role?

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=591715

Not the glowing love you have for Foster and Dunleavy, but could not find anything overly negative about SJax from the writerman.

Remember your posts before labeling a board or majority of a fan base.

Return to Indiana Pacers