J.O. to Cavs?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

FreeRon
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#41 » by FreeRon » Sun May 25, 2008 11:28 pm

And AV and Z put together are low risk/low reward. The difference is that we can keep JO and if he comes back to All-Star form that's great. If not, we can re-sign him to a smaller contract or let him walk in a couple of years. If you guys don't get someone to go along with LeBron, he's gone in '10. Not to say that you have to trade with us, but you have to trade with somebody because you need a legit big man offensively to win a title.
JazzItUp13
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#42 » by JazzItUp13 » Mon May 26, 2008 1:12 am

wtf...ilgauskas is injury prone aswell! and he's a mediocre jump shooter (just like JO)...19 will get you nothing and varajeo is a wash...
I got a question why they hating on me....
cdash
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#43 » by cdash » Mon May 26, 2008 3:38 am

Yeah we are all in agreement here: we dont want to do the trade. Cav fans dont, and Pacer fans dont.
FreeRon
Analyst

Post#44 » by FreeRon » Mon May 26, 2008 4:17 am

We are? Not saying that I necessarily want to, but the board seems to be leaning mostly in favor of it if I'm reading it right. Not the trade we'd all like, but I doubt the Celtics are giving up Garnett, Allen, and Pierce for Tinsley and Marquis so I don't think our ideal trade is going to come along ;)
writerman
Banned User

Cavs are the ones who need to make a move--not us. 

Post#45 » by writerman » Mon May 26, 2008 4:18 am

We (Pacers) are clearly rebuilding whether anyone uses the term or not. The Cavs, OTOH, have ambitious playoff pretensions, and a superstar who is not going to patiently wait forever in Cleveland to get help to take him to the promised land when there are more glamorous venues available to him at the end of his contract. The Cavs also have very few chips to put on the table to get a trade, and are just good enough they would have to be very lucky to get an impact player in the draft to be Tonto to LeBron's Lone Ranger.

You Cav fans can turn up your noses at JO if you want, but tell me this; who are you likely to get with the potential of a healthy JO with the limited talent you have to offer in return?

Is it a risk? Sure--but it's not like trying to draw an inside straight. It's more like having a hand with four diamonds and an one chance in four of drawing another card of the same suit. It's a little risky, but the potential payback is pretty great if JO can approach his old self. No-one with a brain doubts his impact when healthy, especially on the defensive end and he's much more productive in the post than anyone the Cavs currently have. Though Z is a pretty good offensive player, he couldn't guard a paraplegic girl scout. Varajao is not nearly as good as I thought he might become, and the 19th pick isn't a great prize.

The potential for the Pacer ending up with the smelly end of the stick in this trade is much greater than the Cavs'. It could put the Cavs in the finals, but at best doesn't do a hell of a lot for the Pacers.
cdash
Analyst

Post#46 » by cdash » Mon May 26, 2008 4:22 am

I dont think anyone is chomping at the bit to consumate that trade, on either side. I think my point (I didnt convey is very clearly) was that both teams feel like they could do better. I wouldnt throw a fit if we made that deal, but I sure dont see how that gets us any closer to anything we are trying to accomplish.
joew8302
Senior

Post#47 » by joew8302 » Mon May 26, 2008 3:01 pm

Good points. In all actuality the chances this gets done are very slim.
SportsBoy
Rookie

Post#48 » by SportsBoy » Mon May 26, 2008 9:50 pm

The only way this trade has a chance of working is if the Pacers will take Expirings instead of BIG Z.

LBJ Loves HIM, which means...he stays.

How about:
SNOW - 7Mil expiring ( retirement in process)
DJ - 4 Mil expiring
AV - 6 Mil contract (young big)
2009 1st and 2nd
laydo
Junior
And1: 2

Post#49 » by laydo » Tue May 27, 2008 1:57 pm

SportsBoy wrote:The only way this trade has a chance of working is if the Pacers will take Expirings instead of BIG Z.

LBJ Loves HIM, which means...he stays.

How about:
SNOW - 7Mil expiring ( retirement in process)
DJ - 4 Mil expiring
AV - 6 Mil contract (young big)
2009 1st and 2nd

I don't see why this trade works.

First, JO's contract is 20M+, and if you don't add another player, say D.Gibson(sign and trade), the trade won't work.

Second, if you get JO without trading Z, there will be 3 all-star big man in the roster: Z, JO, and Ben Wallace. It'll be a waste if you put any of them on the bench.

And the most important thing to the Pacers is that even if we are going to trade JO away, that does not mean we are totally rebuilding. Both Larry Bird and Herb Simon are looking forward that the Pacers can be back to the playoffs as soon as possible.

So, giving us a bunch of expiring contracts is not absolutely going to work. And also the picks should be better if they are this year.
massey1992
Banned User

Post#50 » by massey1992 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:46 pm

I would do this. Simply because we would be bringing in winning players as well as yes a low pick but we could pick up someone like Chris Douglas Roberts, DJ White, Javale Mcgee, or even Joey Dorsey. I'd do this trade in a heartbeat.
pl
Junior

Post#51 » by pl » Mon Jun 2, 2008 8:30 am

Hello Guys!
New Jersey fan here.

How does my offer compare to the Cleveland assets in your opinion?

Marcus Williams (1,2 mill)
#10 pick
Mo Ager (1mill expirer)
Stro (6,2 mill expirer)
KVH (4,3 mill-unguaranteed!! so he can be cut immediately for a small portion, which is the guaranteed part)
Hassell (4,3 mill - 1 year left)

17mill * 1,25 = 21,25 mill
+ 100k = 21,35 mill (just enough, to match for JO :))

If you are interested, a resigned Nenad Krstic can be used instead of Hassell and Ager. Longer contract, of course, and Krstic has to agree, but if you like the player, it can be worth it.
greenway84
Bench Warmer

Post#52 » by greenway84 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 12:32 pm

pl wrote:Hello Guys!
New Jersey fan here.

How does my offer compare to the Cleveland assets in your opinion?

Marcus Williams (1,2 mill)
#10 pick
Mo Ager (1mill expirer)
Stro (6,2 mill expirer)
KVH (4,3 mill-unguaranteed!! so he can be cut immediately for a small portion, which is the guaranteed part)
Hassell (4,3 mill - 1 year left)

17mill * 1,25 = 21,25 mill
+ 100k = 21,35 mill (just enough, to match for JO :))

If you are interested, a resigned Nenad Krstic can be used instead of Hassell and Ager. Longer contract, of course, and Krstic has to agree, but if you like the player, it can be worth it.

How about
Sean Williams
Swift - exp
S&T Kristic
KVH - cut
Serpo
Veteran

Post#53 » by Serpo » Mon Jun 2, 2008 2:27 pm

We need Sean or Nenad or we only have 3 bigmen at all . Josh , J.O and #21 . Diop won't resign. No way.
IndieRuso420
Sixth Man

Post#54 » by IndieRuso420 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 3:30 pm

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=795315

Doesn't look like anyone thinks JO has any value. I still like that SAC trade, even though most of you killed it. Some SAC fans still like it a lot too.
Indydave
Freshman

Post#55 » by Indydave » Mon Jun 2, 2008 6:17 pm

greenway84 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

How about
Sean Williams
Swift - exp
S&T Kristic
KVH - cut

I'm thinking more along the lines of this possible NJ/IND trade for JO:

Sean Williams
Marcus Williams
KVH (exp.)
Stro (exp.)
Hassell (1yr. exp.)
greenway84
Bench Warmer

Post#56 » by greenway84 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 7:28 pm

Serpo wrote:We need Sean or Nenad or we only have 3 bigmen at all . Josh , J.O and #21 . Diop won't resign. No way.

what if you draft who we want and then we could send back diogu. so you would get diogu and jo for nenad, swift, sean, kvh, pick. My next question would be are you guys not big on swift or nenad or kvh? I like the trade for us but it seems like you give up a damn good pick and a potential young with exp for JO i think this would be a better proposal than most teams will do.
greenway84
Bench Warmer

Post#57 » by greenway84 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 7:40 pm

to be honest if salaries matched id be happy with nenad, sean, pick. But i like your team as long as sean and the pick comes back i wouldnt care what else you sent us to be honest. but i think im the minority
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,182

Post#58 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jun 2, 2008 8:04 pm

Just for information, a trade where Nenad Krstic is signed and traded to Indy and Indy also picks up the #10 pick is either illegal, or near impossible. Indy can't negotiate with Krstic until well after the draft, and would have to hope that NJ would draft a player for us and consummate the deal after the draft, but NJ would have to hope that Krstic actually does eventually agree to a sign and trade with us, or else they're stuck with a guy at the #10 pick they didn't originally want and only drafted for us.
greenway84
Bench Warmer

Post#59 » by greenway84 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 11:46 am

oh for sure it would be tough or as you said near imposible, but with that said if it could be done and both teams are in for that. it would be good for both teams.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,182

Post#60 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 3, 2008 3:47 pm

Eh, it's never really happened before, and it likely never will, simply due to the fact that a team wants to be able to pick the player they want in the draft, and not get stuck with one they drafted for another team in hopes that their own free agent will react kindly to your request to "negotiate only with one team, and it's not us".

Return to Indiana Pacers