Jarett Jack
Raef LaFrentz
No.13 pick in the draft

Blazers get:
Shawn Marion (option picked up)

Heat get:
Jermaine O'Neal

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE PACERS:
They deal away the injury-plagued O'Neal but get back a good rebuilding package. Jack would strengthen their backcourt and give them more flexibility in dealing away Tinsley. LaFrentz provides a massive expiring contract which will help them cap wise. To top it off, they get another lottery pick to aid in the youth movement.
PACERS LINE-UP:
PG-No.11 pick (Augistine or Westbrook)/Jack/Tinsley
SG-Dunleavy/Daniels
SF-Granger/Williams
PF-No.13 pick(Arthur or Love)/Diogu
C-Foster/Murphy/LaFrentz

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE BLAZERS:
They upgrade the 3 spot dramatically without dealing away any core pieces. Marion is one of the most versatile forwards in the league and would give Portland another consistent offensive weapon.
BLAZERS LINE-UP:
PG-Rodriguez/Blake
SG-Roy/Fernandez/Webster
SF-Marion/Outlaw
PF-Aldridge/Frye/McRoberts
C-Oden/Pryzbilla

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE HEAT:
Riley takes a chance on another O'Neal. When healthy, JO is one of the best lowpost scorers in the league. Obviously, health is a concern but I think he's a risk worth taking.
HEAT LINE-UP:
PG-No.2 pick(Rose)/Banks/Quinn
SG-Wade/Cook
SF-Wright or free agent (i.e. Pietrus)/Wright
PF-Haslem/Alexander
C-O'Neal/Blount

I actually like this trade I would like to get frye as well but no deal breaker. Its a very good rebuild trade.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,673

Post#2 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Jun 6, 2008 3:52 pm

I actually do not mind this one...but only if Arthur was available at 13...which theres a good chance he might not be. If we can't get Arthur to replace JO and hopefully Westbrook at 11, then this would be a huge mistake I think. I don't know, this one actually intrigues me unlike the others though.
greenway84
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#3 » by greenway84 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 4:00 pm

i know right. it refreshing to not get a horrible offer.
count55
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3

Post#4 » by count55 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:23 pm

Good for Pacers...not sure Portland or Miami would give it a sniff.
I have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly, neither do you.
pacershereiam
Junior

Post#5 » by pacershereiam » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:33 pm

I would want to draft Speights with the 13 pick or DeAndre Jordan. Speights will be a great player.
IndieRuso420
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#6 » by IndieRuso420 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:38 pm

IND & POR say yes, MIA hangs up the phone. They can get way more in a max deal S&T for Matrix.
greenway84
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by greenway84 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:43 pm

think maybe we could send our second to miami and swap diogu for frye?

Pick/Jack/Diener
Dunleavy/Daniels/Graham
Granger/Williams
Pick/Murphy/Frye
Foster/LaFrentz

Obviously that would consist of trading Tinsley, and not resigning Rush, Harrison, Owens, or Flip.
greenway84
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by greenway84 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:56 pm

Look something like this:

Indiana Trade Breakdown
Mark Blount
Marcus Banks
Raef LaFrentz
Channing Frye
Jarrett Jack
POR 08 1st

Line up: Pick/Dunleavy/Granger/Pick/Foster

Miami Trade Breakdown
Jermaine O'Neal
Marquis Daniels
Jamaal Tinsley
IND 08 2nd

Line up: Tinsley/Wade/Beasley/Haslem/JO

Portland Trade Breakdown
Ike Diogu
Shawn Marion

Line up: Fernandez/Roy/Marion/Aldridge/Oden
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,182

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jun 6, 2008 9:29 pm

IndieRuso420 wrote:IND & POR say yes, MIA hangs up the phone. They can get way more in a max deal S&T for Matrix.

This isn't a S&T for Marion, it's just on the assumption that Marion picks up his player option and plays out the last year of his contract.

However, I don't think they could do much better than this. Marion has value, but isn't a KG value type player. He's essentially a Pau Gasol value on the low end and a JO value on the high end.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,276

Post#10 » by Hoops23 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 1:35 am

Riley already said, he like cap space for 2010. Coming from the horses mouth, I doubt he will take the contract of Tinsley, Murphy or Dunleavy.
count55 wrote:Good for Pacers...not sure Portland or Miami would give it a sniff
Miami just got rid of Shaq's contract and don't see why we trade for another high paying player who's coming from a major injury.

As a fan, I like a deal of Marion and Blount for JO, cash & a player with expiring contract (Daniels) if Miami draft Beasley and JO is healthy enough to play this coming season.

Pacers receives Jack, Raef, Blount and #13

Heat receive JO, player with expiring contract/s and cash from Indy

Portland receives Marion

Thoughts?
cdash
Analyst

Post#11 » by cdash » Sat Jun 7, 2008 3:24 am

Riley also said he wouldnt trade Shaq and a number of other things. So, coming from the horses mouth isnt that reliable. GMs lie all the time. Its part of the gig.
ahartleyvu
Bench Warmer
And1: 56

Post#12 » by ahartleyvu » Sat Jun 7, 2008 4:05 am

Why are you guys inserting any draft picks into the starting lineup? Especially Speights/Arthur/etc.. No way do they start in their rookie season.
count55
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3

Post#13 » by count55 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 5:58 am

Hoops23 wrote:Riley already said, he like cap space for 2010. Coming from the horses mouth, I doubt he will take the contract of Tinsley, Murphy or Dunleavy.
-= original quote snipped =-

Miami just got rid of Shaq's contract and don't see why we trade for another high paying player who's coming from a major injury.

As a fan, I like a deal of Marion and Blount for JO, cash & a player with expiring contract (Daniels) if Miami draft Beasley and JO is healthy enough to play this coming season.

Pacers receives Jack, Raef, Blount and #13

Heat receive JO, player with expiring contract/s and cash from Indy

Portland receives Marion

Thoughts?

I think this deal could work without Indiana throwing in another expiring contract. It works in the trade checker with last year's numbers, and I think they all work using 2008-2009 numbers from Shamsports. If the Pacers didn't send the expiring (assuming the only value was the expiring nature of the contract), then the cash wouldn't be necessary, either.

This type of deal would be in my price range for JO: large expiring, serviceable vet (crappy contract, though), and two decent young prospects (Jack & 13).
I have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly, neither do you.
DannyGranger
Sophomore

Post#14 » by DannyGranger » Sat Jun 7, 2008 6:01 am

count55 wrote:Good for Pacers...not sure Portland or Miami would give it a sniff.

Sure Portland would, theyre getting Marion in return. They're in need at the SF position and Marion would fit in perfect. The only team that probably wouldnt do this trade is Miami. Giving up Marion for JO is hard to do
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,276

Post#15 » by Hoops23 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 12:11 am

cdash wrote:Riley also said he wouldnt trade Shaq and a number of other things. So, coming from the horses mouth isnt that reliable. GMs lie all the time. Its part of the gig.
I'll give you a little story about the Shaq deal. There is something on going at the Heat while Shaq was still there and that I don't know. In fact, after Shaq was traded to Phoenix, he bash the Heat, particularly the medical staff in which Riley retaliate in the media and Kerr apologize. It was the Heat owner, Mr. Arison who called the Suns owner about a trade of Shaq, and obviously the deal went on. I remember then that Riley said, "I never saw our owner so involve in any deal since my time in Miami". But ofcourse Riley the president approved it. The statement of Riley says a lot about the behavior of Shaq for the owner to get involve. . . No matter how you like the player if someday an attitude problem arise and affect the majority of your team, you've got to deal him and swallow your words or pride. Besides, a trade and a future plan is different.

count55 wrote: I think this deal could work without Indiana throwing in another expiring contract. It works in the trade checker with last year's numbers, and I think they all work using 2008-2009 numbers from Shamsports. If the Pacers didn't send the expiring (assuming the only value was the expiring nature of the contract), then the cash wouldn't be necessary, either.

This type of deal would be in my price range for JO: large expiring, serviceable vet (crappy contract, though), and two decent young prospects (Jack & 13).
Well yes, the deal could work without Indy throwing another expiring contract. But the point is, JO is left with 2 more years with more than $40m. That means Marion salary is less than half of what is left to JO's contract. Thats too much to absorb. Miami has the cap space next year and they will not just bypass it unless of something of a good deal in return. Blount and Foster or Daniels should be included to ease some salaries a little bit. Money is the issue in the trade. Miami suffered a lot last season for letting Kapono and Posey go because of the luxury tax. JO will put us close or within the the tax. Blount for an expiring contract and cash is necessary if Miami is trading Marion for JO. . . . The deal saves Indy a some cash this coming season because their within the lux tax.

Return to Indiana Pacers