Crap, Ty Lawson just went off our board.

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

IndieRuso420
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Crap, Ty Lawson just went off our board. 

Post#1 » by IndieRuso420 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 4:21 pm

Just saw on ESPNews ticker, Ty Lawson charged with DWI in NC. I doubt Morway & Bird consider him after this. I really liked his game more than Augustin too. Oh well, at least we didn't pick him first. That wouldn't have been good.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,570

Post#2 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Jun 6, 2008 4:23 pm

We agree on something, I would also have preferred Lawson to Augustin.

This really sucks though, I would have loved to trade into the late first round to draft him.

EDIT: Thats if we didn't get Westbrook at 11. If Westbrook went before 11, I'd much prefer getting Lawson later than Augustin at 11.
IndieRuso420
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by IndieRuso420 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 4:31 pm

DGrangeRx33 wrote:We agree on something, I would also have preferred Lawson to Augustin.

This really sucks though, I would have loved to trade into the late first round to draft him.

EDIT: Thats if we didn't get Westbrook at 11. If Westbrook went before 11, I'd much prefer getting Lawson later than Augustin at 11.

Same here, I would have loved to have seen the Pacers trade back up into the 1st like Morway said they have been discussing and take Lawson. That's not happening now.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#4 » by PR07 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 4:54 pm

I've never been that high on Lawson. That opinion is now magnified. What a terrible decision on his part this close to the draft. Has he hired an agent yet? He might be better served redeeming himself another year at Chapel Hill.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#5 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Jun 6, 2008 4:57 pm

I hope he returns to Chapel Hill...I am a Tar Heel fan and we really need him, plus it looks like Green and maybe even Ellington will also return.

Zeller/Thompson
Hansbrough/Davis
Ginyard/Green
Ellington/Green
Lawson/Drew

Man we would have a deep team.
IndieRuso420
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by IndieRuso420 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:00 pm

PacersRule07 wrote:I've never been that high on Lawson. That opinion is now magnified. What a terrible decision on his part this close to the draft. Has he hired an agent yet? He might be better served redeeming himself another year at Chapel Hill.

That's what I was thinking too. I'm not sure if he hired an agent. Rumor has it that he had a promise, but that's just speculation. All in all, Lawson just lost millions, even if he can possibly get a second chance next year. Maybe this is a bit of a reach, but I thought Lawson was a poor man CP3. He's not the facilitator or defender, but I think he's near as quick and can drive really well. Yesterday, my dream Pacers draft was #11 Alexander and trade back up to #17-19 Ty Lawson. Maybe Augustin will fall? I think DJ's value is better around #15-17 rather than #11.
IndieRuso420
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by IndieRuso420 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:04 pm

IndieRuso420 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's what I was thinking too. I'm not sure if he hired an agent. Rumor has it that he had a promise, but that's just speculation. All in all, Lawson just lost millions, even if he can possibly get a second chance next year. Maybe this is a bit of a reach, but I thought Lawson was a poor man CP3. He's not the facilitator or defender, but I think he's near as quick and can drive really well. Yesterday, my dream Pacers draft was #11 Alexander and trade back up to #17-19 Ty Lawson. Maybe Augustin will fall? I think DJ's value is better around #15-17 rather than #11.

I should rephrase one thing. I still like Lawson as a player, and still have the same comparison but with his character issues it brings down his stock. I kind of wrote that wrong.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#8 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:09 pm

Well, I would never say Lawson is a poor mans CP3, I love Lawson, a lot more than most but that just isn't a good comparison at all. I do think Lawson would be the fastest player in the NBA the second he gets drafted, I've never seen a faster guy on the court than him, but theres no way he could be a CP3 type player. I think it was NBADraft that made the comparison to Terrell Brandon, I like that comparison a lot.

I wouldn't even call this character issues. He made a mistake, that doesn't mean he is the next Jamaal Tinsley, so many athletes have been caught doing this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not standing up for him by any means, what he did was reckless and irresponsible, but to say he has character issues is a stretch - at least to me. Still not a risk I see the Pacers management willing to take now though.
IndieRuso420
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by IndieRuso420 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:21 pm

DGrangeRx33 wrote:Well, I would never say Lawson is a poor mans CP3, I love Lawson, a lot more than most but that just isn't a good comparison at all. I do think Lawson would be the fastest player in the NBA the second he gets drafted, I've never seen a faster guy on the court than him, but theres no way he could be a CP3 type player. I think it was NBADraft that made the comparison to Terrell Brandon, I like that comparison a lot.

I wouldn't even call this character issues. He made a mistake, that doesn't mean he is the next Jamaal Tinsley, so many athletes have been caught doing this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not standing up for him by any means, what he did was reckless and irresponsible, but to say he has character issues is a stretch - at least to me. Still not a risk I see the Pacers management willing to take now though.

If Tinsley, Daniels, Williams, Jackson, Harrison didn't make their mistakes already, I would still take Lawson. At this point, I don't think IND can select him with the current state of the PR department. We just have a bad rep in the media already, and people would blow the Pacers selecting Lawson out of proportion. I saw screw what the media thinks cause I still like Lawson as a player. However, if I was management I just have to pass. Too many bad decisions by players already under our belts.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#10 » by MUpacersSIC » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:23 pm

Just another athlete who thinks he's above the law. I'm really tired of hearing these stories about driving under the influence, or any alcohol or drug related issue. This just needs to stop. These athletes are people that kids are going to look up to and it's just a shame that happens so often. If you are a professional athlete you should not be drinking or doing drugs. For one thing, doesn't drinking just put you more out of shape? You spend all that time in the gym and then throw it away over what, a good time for about an hour and then you don't remember that good time when you wake up the next morning. You've got millions of dollars being thrown at you, come on people grow up. Not trying to be a joy-kill but it's just ridiculous. If someone paid me that much money I would never even think of putting myself in a situation that could possibly ruin everything for me. Get rid of your home boys that are just going to use you and learn to make your own decision. I think all these guys need to take a class in maturity. And this is all coming from a college student.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#11 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:29 pm

IndieRuso420 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If Tinsley, Daniels, Williams, Jackson, Harrison didn't make their mistakes already, I would still take Lawson. At this point, I don't think IND can select him with the current state of the PR department. We just have a bad rep in the media already, and people would blow the Pacers selecting Lawson out of proportion. I saw screw what the media thinks cause I still like Lawson as a player. However, if I was management I just have to pass. Too many bad decisions by players already under our belts.

Yea man, your absolutely right, the Pacers can't take that risk. I was simply saying I don't think one mistake should be classified as character issues, but it is still a red flag to the Pacers.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#12 » by Krapinsky » Sat Jun 7, 2008 9:12 pm

In all fairness to Lawson, it wasn't a DWI it was a driving with consumption since he's under 21. Thus he could have been driving safely, but had a drink at a late night party the night before. Reportedly he was pulled over in the morning because he was playing his music too loud.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
APerna
Editor

Post#13 » by APerna » Sun Jun 8, 2008 12:59 am

I think this means he'll return to UNC.
+ PF
"If Jack makes that shot, the game is over." - Tommy Heinsohn after Jarrett Jack missed a shot at the buzzer of a 105-105 game between the Celtics and Pacers.
Bucky O'Hare
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#14 » by Bucky O'Hare » Sun Jun 8, 2008 6:42 pm

Very disappointed, as Lawson was high on my list and acquiring a second 1st rounder to draft him would've been an ideal pick-up. Oh well, Mario Chalmers could still be there in the late first. I don't like him as much as Lawson, but I'd take him 20-something over Augustin at 11 any day of the week.
cdash
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#15 » by cdash » Sun Jun 8, 2008 7:06 pm

See, I'm not against the theory of acquiring another late first round pick...but who/what are we going to trade to get this pick?
Bucky O'Hare
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#16 » by Bucky O'Hare » Sun Jun 8, 2008 9:39 pm

cdash wrote:See, I'm not against the theory of acquiring another late first round pick...but who/what are we going to trade to get this pick?

Late 1st round picks aren't that tough to acquire. In fact, #41 (and his non-guaranteed contract) and some $$$ could probably get us somewhere in the 20s.
cdash
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#17 » by cdash » Sun Jun 8, 2008 10:48 pm

What in the Simon's history makes us think they will buy a first rounder? It seems as if its the super rich owners who do that (i.e. Paul Allen).

Return to Indiana Pacers