Re: KLN's Vote Mock, (#13) 

Post#2 » by PR07 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:44 pm

DeJuan Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaair
fienX420
Senior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by fienX420 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:27 pm

Argh... Flynn is, once again and by far, the best option. This is why I want to trade out of 13. Thinking Blair will be successful in the NBA is damn near saying he is the next Charles Barkley. I don't think he is. I really tried to get over my size parameter prejudices, but it's just not sensible to do so. We have done well in picking pieces which are not disadvantaged by size, but are actually advantaged in size (Granger, Rush, Hibbert, Foster, Jack, Murphy). I hope we keep this trend going, and don't draft Blair. We already have tough players who can rebound AND are tall in Foster and Murphy. Blair doesn't add what we really need in a young 4 - shot-blocking (because he is vertically challenged - NOT just in height, but in reach and no-step vert reach, which is why I think he will struggle in other areas as well).
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#4 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:28 pm

I think Jennings will fall to us or we will trade up to get him.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
fienX420
Senior

Post#5 » by fienX420 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:31 pm

I would be pretty happy if Jennings falls. He is the Danny Granger-type of right into our lap potential super-star that the Pacers desperately need to hit on again.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,567

Post#6 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:45 pm

I'm shocked some of ya'll are picking Blair.

The guy will suck, quote me or whatever. He will be out of the NBA in 5 years. If the Pacers draft him, I'm going to be so pissed off.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#7 » by PR07 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:01 am

Have some of you watched Paul Millsap play?
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#8 » by Miller4ever » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:59 am

Flynn and Henderson are my votes, but I wouldn't dismiss Blair. All three of these players strike me as prospects who will leave it all out on the court.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#9 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:13 am

PR07 wrote:Have some of you watched Paul Millsap play?

You just can't compare Blair to every undersized PF in the history of the NBA. Seriously, I've heard Barkley, Millsap, Landry....what about Diogu, Mike Sweetney, Kirk Hatson, and so on?

Blair was successful in college because he could out muscle everyone. His size was a huge advantage in college, in the NBA is a huge weakness. Blair doesn't have the skill to get over the hump in the NBA. When he had a huge advantage with his size, he didn't need as much skill as he could just move anyone and everyone out of the way. Have you looked at his DX weaknesses:

- Better suited for half-court offense
- Stuck between 4 and 5
- Ability to create own shot
- Advanced post moves
- Back to basket scoring
- Ability to defend position at next level?
- Defensive fundamentals
- Lateral quickness
- Pick and roll defense
- Average athleticism
- Conditioning
- Plays below the rim
- Free throw shooting
- Jump-shot

So basically, he has no offensive game and will likely struggle on defense as well. In fact under his strengths is "Role-Player Potential", so he has the potential to be a role player? You don't take a guy who may or may not be a freaking role player with the 13th pick in the draft - I don't care how weak it is, which by the way, the lottery isn't all that bad.

If you wanna guy who brings toughness and energy, with limited skills - grab him in the second round.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,537

Post#10 » by Boneman2 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:40 am

I think Blair is tough enough to prosper in this league. I could definitely see him flagrantly fouling anyone he wanted, maybe not Dwight. I don't think he'll get pushed around in the post either. As long as a few other players I like are off the board, I wouldn't be opposed to selecting him.

Flynn is ahead of Blair.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Crossova21
Junior
And1: 11

Post#11 » by Crossova21 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:11 am

DGrangeRx33 wrote:I'm shocked some of ya'll are picking Blair.

The guy will suck, quote me or whatever. He will be out of the NBA in 5 years. If the Pacers draft him, I'm going to be so pissed off.

I feel you man...im on the fence with Blair...he might be a beast in the NBA but for some reason I have a feeling that if we take him we'll regret it in the future.
cdash
Analyst

Post#12 » by cdash » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:33 am

I don't want Blair here, but I don't think he's out of the league in five years either. Flynn is the BPA, and we should take him.
Donerik
Sophomore

Post#13 » by Donerik » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:46 am

If I can't have Rudy Fernandez and Portland's pick for Blair, or trade back for an additional first round pick, I'd be almost happy to get Blair.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by PR07 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:13 am

DGrangerRx33 wrote:Blair was successful in college because he could out muscle everyone. His size was a huge advantage in college, in the NBA is a huge weakness. Blair doesn't have the skill to get over the hump in the NBA. When he had a huge advantage with his size, he didn't need as much skill as he could just move anyone and everyone out of the way. Have you looked at his DX weaknesses:

So basically, he has no offensive game and will likely struggle on defense as well. In fact under his strengths is "Role-Player Potential", so he has the potential to be a role player? You don't take a guy who may or may not be a freaking role player with the 13th pick in the draft - I don't care how weak it is, which by the way, the lottery isn't all that bad.

If you wanna guy who brings toughness and energy, with limited skills - grab him in the second round.

Jeff Foster has a made a career out of out-hustling players despite not being the most skilled nor most athletic big man. I want basketball players not athletes. I also disagree that his size will be a huge weakness. He's going to still overpower most big men in the NBA. He's too big, stout, and possesses too low of a sense of gravity. You aren't going to move him, but he may move you.

His rebounding numbers in college suggest, like Millsap, that he has a true talent on the glass. There have been a lot of strong guys in the NCAA that haven't put up the numbers he has. Saying that he does it all on strength does him a huge disservice. This frontcourt needs toughness and a personality. Is there anyone that opposing teams look in our frontcourt and say "Man I don't want to play that guy." I highly, highly doubt it.

As for this role player potential, based on this mock draft, who would you project to be a star that is available? Maybe BJ Mullens, but he's a huge risk. I certainly don't see the likes of Flynn, Earl Clark, Henderson, and James Johnson as stars; more just good solid players. If you aren't a star, aren't you a role player?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,086

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:38 am

Did I see a frickin' Kirk Haston reference in this thread????

Holy sweet Jesus!!! Where the hell are we going.....
cdash
Analyst

Post#16 » by cdash » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:55 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Did I see a frickin' Kirk Haston reference in this thread????

Holy sweet Jesus!!! Where the hell are we going.....

The Machine?!?!
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM

Post#17 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:07 am

PR07 wrote: If you aren't a star, aren't you a role player?

No, a role player is like 7th or 8th guys off the bench. Below stars you have starters, and sixth men.

Jennings has star potential, I'm not sure if he'll slip, but its a possibility. The rest around our range at least have starting potential. The fact that he only has the potential to be a role player is a joke. You don't draft for role players at #13.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by PR07 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:16 am

See I'll disagree on that. Derek Fisher is a starter, but I'd consider him a role player. Trevor Ariza is a starter, but I'd also consider him a role player. I think you definitely can be a starter and still be a role player. I consider a role player a guy who knows his role, performs his well, and doesn't try to do too much or anything really outside of his role. They let the stars be stars and are ok doing the little things and not so flashy things that it takes to win.
clown60hacker
Junior
And1: 3

Post#19 » by clown60hacker » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:14 am

Holiday
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#20 » by Gremz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:19 pm