ImageImageImageImageImage

Giants sign Shawn Andrews

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

hobojoe2131
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Giants sign Shawn Andrews 

Post#1 » by hobojoe2131 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Wow another great signing for Jerry Reese and co. No risk but potentially very high reward. The man is a 3 time pro bowler and only 27 years old.
^ MP creation
I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Re: Giants sign Shawn Andrews 

Post#2 » by I_Love_NYK » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:12 pm

Supposedly the guy is re-focused, very versatile O-lineman. Can play both guard and tackle spots they said. Good signing just incase Beatty is not ready yet. The guy is also motivated for a bigger contract and will probably work his butt off for that bigger contract.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,760

Post#3 » by cgf » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Unless part of the contract bans him from twitter I'm not a fan. He sends more twats than a teenage girl and he's just showed terrible dedication to the sport. There's little risk here, but I expect nothing from Andrews.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
hobojoe2131
Assistant Coach

Post#4 » by hobojoe2131 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:51 am

cgf wrote:Unless part of the contract bans him from twitter I'm not a fan. He sends more twats than a teenage girl and he's just showed terrible dedication to the sport. There's little risk here, but I expect nothing from Andrews.

He hasn't used his twitter in months...
^ MP creation
cgf
RealGM

Post#5 » by cgf » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:03 pm

hobojoe2131 wrote:
cgf wrote:Unless part of the contract bans him from twitter I'm not a fan. He sends more twats than a teenage girl and he's just showed terrible dedication to the sport. There's little risk here, but I expect nothing from Andrews.

Sweet. Now all we need is for him to get a new back and we could have a nice FA steal on our hands.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
hobojoe2131
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by hobojoe2131 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:48 pm

:(
cgf wrote:
hobojoe2131 wrote:

Sweet. Now all we need is for him to get a new back and we could have a nice FA steal on our hands.

Oh, you mean the back problem that has finally been properly diagnosed? And he shed 30 pounds. Nice try though :roll:
^ MP creation
cgf
RealGM

Post#7 » by cgf » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:39 pm

Nice try though? I'm a giants fan, I'd love for this guy to become the all-pro caliber guard that he once was, but it's just not that likely too happen. We're talking about the back of a behemoth, I don't care if it's "finally been properly diagnosed" until we see it holding up and him playing great football for extended periods of time again there's no reason to get excited. The OL will be good this year anyway, Beatty, Diehl and Snee is 3 guys who'll anchor the line, O'Hara should have a bounceback year now that he's healthy and between Petrus' monster Training Camp, Whimper's solid spot starts and McKenzie we'll find a solid 5th Lineman who'll do their job well enough. Plus with the RBs and Eli healthy they won't need to do as much and won't have to hold their blocks as long.

I hope Andrews is able to make a comeback, but I also hope Chad Jones is able to fully recover and give pro-sports another shot, still doesn't mean either one is likely and worth getting all worked up over.

hobojoe2131
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by hobojoe2131 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:31 pm

cgf wrote:Nice try though? I'm a giants fan, I'd love for this guy to become the all-pro caliber guard that he once was, but it's just not that likely too happen. We're talking about the back of a behemoth, I don't care if it's "finally been properly diagnosed" until we see it holding up and him playing great football for extended periods of time again there's no reason to get excited. The OL will be good this year anyway, Beatty, Diehl and Snee is 3 guys who'll anchor the line, O'Hara should have a bounceback year now that he's healthy and between Petrus' monster Training Camp, Whimper's solid spot starts and McKenzie we'll find a solid 5th Lineman who'll do their job well enough. Plus with the RBs and Eli healthy they won't need to do as much and won't have to hold their blocks as long.

I hope Andrews is able to make a comeback, but I also hope Chad Jones is able to fully recover and give pro-sports another shot, still doesn't mean either one is likely and worth getting all worked up over.

Diehl looked awful at LG last week and OHara was statically the 2nd best center in the league last year. I think come week 4 or so you'll see Diehl-Andrews-OHara-Snee-McKenzie, which is just a sick line if Andrews comes back to 90% of his top form, which is more likely to happen than you're making it seem.
^ MP creation
cgf
RealGM

Post#9 » by cgf » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:48 pm

It's preseason, I'm not going to judge any player too harshly, especially Diehl who was an All-pro caliber LG before moving to LT. And there's no such thing as statistics for a center, even if there was O'hara was bad last year, now I'm fully ready to blame that on his injury and not on him being washed up, but the fact remains he blew major chunks last year and in next spring's draft we almost have to come out of round one with one of O'Dowd, Pouncey 2.0 or Wisniewski to be our Center OTF.

If Andrews is able to come back to 90% by week 4 I'd be stoked, but I just don't see that as plausible in any way. The guys been away from the game for a long time and he missed all of TC to shake off the rust and build chemistry with the guys on this team while learning his assignments. He's really far behind and has a huge amount of work which is why I doubt he has a major role on this line this year barring any injuries in the later half of the season.

OL is just a position weird position where individual talent is only a small piece to the puzzle, a great OL is made great by everyone knowing their assignments and knowing how the guys next to them will accomplish theirs, that's why our OL was so beastly two years ago, sure we had one monster in Snee and one monster run blocker in DIehl, but O'Hara's not individually dominant, McKenzie was just solid and Richie 69 was just solid, but because they had such good chemistry and knowledge of the playbook they combined to dominate. That chemistry and understanding of the playbook takes time, a lot of time, and Andrews just hasn't been here long enough. I think Andrews was a signing made more for next year, this year we can keep a close eye on him, let him get to know the team, the playbook and then, if there are injuries as the year wears on, we can plug him in and if not but we like what we've seen in practice, next year we work him into the starting lineup.

hobojoe2131
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by hobojoe2131 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:21 pm

cgf wrote:It's preseason, I'm not going to judge any player too harshly, especially Diehl who was an All-pro caliber LG before moving to LT. And there's no such thing as statistics for a center, even if there was O'hara was bad last year, now I'm fully ready to blame that on his injury and not on him being washed up, but the fact remains he blew major chunks last year and in next spring's draft we almost have to come out of round one with one of O'Dowd, Pouncey 2.0 or Wisniewski to be our Center OTF.

If Andrews is able to come back to 90% by week 4 I'd be stoked, but I just don't see that as plausible in any way. The guys been away from the game for a long time and he missed all of TC to shake off the rust and build chemistry with the guys on this team while learning his assignments. He's really far behind and has a huge amount of work which is why I doubt he has a major role on this line this year barring any injuries in the later half of the season.

OL is just a position weird position where individual talent is only a small piece to the puzzle, a great OL is made great by everyone knowing their assignments and knowing how the guys next to them will accomplish theirs, that's why our OL was so beastly two years ago, sure we had one monster in Snee and one monster run blocker in DIehl, but O'Hara's not individually dominant, McKenzie was just solid and Richie 69 was just solid, but because they had such good chemistry and knowledge of the playbook they combined to dominate. That chemistry and understanding of the playbook takes time, a lot of time, and Andrews just hasn't been here long enough. I think Andrews was a signing made more for next year, this year we can keep a close eye on him, let him get to know the team, the playbook and then, if there are injuries as the year wears on, we can plug him in and if not but we like what we've seen in practice, next year we work him into the starting lineup.

There are stats for linemen. Stuff like yards gained when running behind them, sacks allowed, etc. There are definitely stats, and O'hara graded out very well last year. He is getting old, but he isn't done just yet. Drafting a replacement next year would be nice though, because Adam Koets starting at C scares me.

I don't see why you are so hesitant about Andrews. The way this contract is set up, is that this year is basically a trial period, and if we want to keep him next year our commitment to him increases a tremendous amount. Seubert was'nt very good last year, and can easily be replaced. He is also a team guy and versatile, so moving him to the bench would be great for us. In fact, Mike Garafolo just reported that Richie was taking snaps at C today. There is no reason Andrews can't become a beast again since he's lost weight and gotten over his injury. These next two preseason games will show a lot about his ability to contribute this year.
^ MP creation
cgf
RealGM

Post#11 » by cgf » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:13 pm

I'm hesitant about Andrews because he's been out of the game for a long time, had a serious career threatening back condition, has lost a lot of his bulk and has had motivation issues as well as the psychological trauma of depression and he missed training camp with our team so he's not just got a lot he's coming back from but he's also way behind in terms of learning the playbook and building chemistry with his line-mates, which is the single most important factor to having a successful OL. That's why I'm so hesitant about Andrews. Plus I don't see an urgent need for him to start, Beatty, Diehl and Snee means we're set at 3 spots, O'Hara's healthy so hopefully he has a bounce back year and isn't washed up and for the final spot we've got a number of guys who could start for us.

As for OL stats, I know they exist, but they're really dumb, no one on the line operates in a vacuum so looking up the stats of individual lineman is horribly deceiving even if you try and consider the context.

hobojoe2131
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by hobojoe2131 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:04 pm

cgf wrote:I'm hesitant about Andrews because he's been out of the game for a long time, had a serious career threatening back condition, has lost a lot of his bulk and has had motivation issues as well as the psychological trauma of depression and he missed training camp with our team so he's not just got a lot he's coming back from but he's also way behind in terms of learning the playbook and building chemistry with his line-mates, which is the single most important factor to having a successful OL. That's why I'm so hesitant about Andrews. Plus I don't see an urgent need for him to start, Beatty, Diehl and Snee means we're set at 3 spots, O'Hara's healthy so hopefully he has a bounce back year and isn't washed up and for the final spot we've got a number of guys who could start for us.

As for OL stats, I know they exist, but they're really dumb, no one on the line operates in a vacuum so looking up the stats of individual lineman is horribly deceiving even if you try and consider the context.

Ohara is actually in a hard cast right now, so he isn't really healthy lol. And the only person that can start at LG is Seubert, who IMO was bad last year. I'm hoping Andrews goes at least 2 quarters tomorrow so we can see what he can bring.
^ MP creation
hobojoe2131
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by hobojoe2131 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:10 pm

Andrews looked really good last night. I'm telling you, by week 4 he's the starting LG. We'd have the best guard combo in the league.
^ MP creation
I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#14 » by I_Love_NYK » Tue Nov 9, 2010 1:50 am

Time to go see if this signing was worth it, with David Diehl out indefinitely Shawn Andrews might be the Giants full time LT unless Will Beatty can come back, although Beatty did not even look good in the pre-season. Shawn Andrews a natural LG throughout his career will most likely be the Giants full time LT with a real test this sunday going up against DeMarcus Ware. And with the status of O'Hara uncertain Seubert may be the C with Koets out for the season.

Return to New York Giants