ImageImageImageImageImage

why isnt coughlin being fired?

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

why isnt coughlin being fired? 

Post#1 » by Pharmcat » Mon Jan 3, 2011 4:56 am

this team has the talent to make the playoffs, and has threw it all away the last 2 years

why not can him and bring in cowher?
ChanM
Freshman
And1: 1

Re: why isnt coughlin being fired? 

Post#2 » by ChanM » Mon Jan 3, 2011 4:19 pm

I don't think this season was Coughlin fault at all. In my opinion it was the players not making plays when they needed it. E.g. Eli throwing too high and leading to tipped passes which resulted into INT's, players not catching the ball, Matt Dodge who can't punt consistently, and Bradshaw with fumbling all over the place. I honestly believe if Jeff Feagles had returned the Giants would be 12-4.
I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#3 » by I_Love_NYK » Mon Jan 3, 2011 8:38 pm

Things this team needs.

1. Get a real MLB, Jonathan Goff is not the answer at MLB. To me he is a OLB playing MLB. A inside linebacker does more than just makes tackles for losses. But they are the quarterback of the defense and every good defense has one. I don't know if it was Fewell but during the Eagles collapse way. Jonathan Goff was blitzing way too much for what a inside linebacker should be doing, leaving the middle open and Vick just ran.

2. Get depth at the Tackle position. Shawn Andrews was a waste, and David Diehl and Kareem McKenzie are breaking down. They cannot make the blocks on the outside no more that they used to do. Our running backs barely were able to get to the outside. They might also need a new C as Rich Seubert may not be back in time. And Shaun O'Hara is breaking down.

3. Fire the WR coach, way too many dropped passes and the WR ran the wrong routes all the time. Why Mike Sullivan was promoted to QB coach is beyond me. I thought he did a good job last year with the WR in 2009.

4. Get a new TE, how many passes did Kevin Boss drop this year. I still cant get over the Cowboys one where the ball hit him right in the face that would have been a TD.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#4 » by mjhp911 » Tue Jan 4, 2011 3:56 am

While Coughlin shares some blame, this can't all be laid at his doorstep. The GM shares some blame. The players too, especially Eli. I think Eli is what he is.
I_Love_NYK
RealGM

Post#5 » by I_Love_NYK » Tue Jan 4, 2011 2:31 pm

25 int's is not acceptable, and had he not thrown for 31 TD's this season the media would be all over him. I would say 10 of them came off his recievers hands, and some of them were easy ones to catch. A couple came off his receivers hands and they were too high. But any other way I feel that the WR's could have done a better job catching the ball this year. According to NFL.Com both Nicks and Boss had 6 dropepd passes and it seems they had a lot more than that.
I_Love_NYK
RealGM

Post#6 » by I_Love_NYK » Tue Jan 4, 2011 2:33 pm

mjhp911 wrote:While Coughlin shares some blame, this can't all be laid at his doorstep. The GM shares some blame. The players too, especially Eli. I think Eli is what he is.

Coughlin takes the blame for the meltdown vs the Eagles 100%. How you let a team score 28 pts in 8 minutes is beyond me. Playing the prevent Defense with 8 minutes to go was bad move and not expecting an on-side kick.
Knicks since 94
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Knicks since 94 » Tue Jan 4, 2011 10:43 pm

Pharmcat wrote:this team has the talent to make the playoffs, and has threw it all away the last 2 years

why not can him and bring in cowher?

no need for a coaching change if the players are still responding....he will bring them to the promised land next year....
"Prokhorov promised a title by 2016, but the way the Nets are going now, they’ll be fortunate to win a playoff series over that time."
I_Love_NYK
RealGM

Post#8 » by I_Love_NYK » Thu Jan 6, 2011 3:49 am

This team has all the talent to be a 12-4 team but all the drop passes, fumbles caused this team to loose in some key momments. If the Giants would have held onto a 21 pt lead vs the Eagles they would have been in a first round bye right now.
Little Italia
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#9 » by Little Italia » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:52 am

We could've swept the Eagles this season if it wasn't for that lucky 4th and 1 play in the first meeting and that HUGE EPIC meltdown they had in the second meeting.

Yeah a 12-4 season would've been good.

For the love of GOD though, please can we finally invest in some Linebackers in this years draft? LB's that actually play for a 4-3.

I look at all the great D's in the league and they all have great linebackers. We have Michael Boley who is ok player and Goff who is a back up/role player.

"New York Knicks will never win a championship with James Dolan at the helm. Off with his head!!"

WELCOME TO MEDIOCRE HELL
I_Love_NYK
RealGM

Post#10 » by I_Love_NYK » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:28 pm

The two biggests needs they will need to invest is a inside linebacker and offensive tackle, Will Beatty has been a bust. He had the oppurtunity to take the LT spot and he failed. Nate Solder from Colorado, 6'8 310. Nice size and footwork to protect Eli's blind side.

Barrett Ruudd will be a UFA, same as Kirk Morrison. According to the scouts they said that this Linebacker draft class seems pretty weak. Kawika Mitchell is also a FA, if he is healthy I would love him to come back.

They need to resign Cofield, as Chris Canty is ok but is not worth the 6yrs 42mil he signed for.
Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Post#11 » by Shemy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:06 pm

your punter alone cost you two games
"They scared now"
Little Italia
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#12 » by Little Italia » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:01 am

I_Love_NYK wrote:The two biggests needs they will need to invest is a inside linebacker and offensive tackle, Will Beatty has been a bust. He had the oppurtunity to take the LT spot and he failed. Nate Solder from Colorado, 6'8 310. Nice size and footwork to protect Eli's blind side.

Barrett Ruudd will be a UFA, same as Kirk Morrison. According to the scouts they said that this Linebacker draft class seems pretty weak. Kawika Mitchell is also a FA, if he is healthy I would love him to come back.

They need to resign Cofield, as Chris Canty is ok but is not worth the 6yrs 42mil he signed for.

Nate Solder is huge and a great prospect but he'll be long gone by the time we pick at 19. I agree that this year's linebackers are weak. If only that kid from Oklahoma didn't decide to stay for another year.

As crazy as this sounds i really want Mark Ingram. That kid is a winner, a leader, and actually knows how to catch the damn football. He doesn't fumble. And when i mention leader, he's a vocal leader which is something the Giants are lacking.

"New York Knicks will never win a championship with James Dolan at the helm. Off with his head!!"

WELCOME TO MEDIOCRE HELL
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#13 » by NY2TheBay » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:25 pm

I really like Ingram too. He would be a nice fit. He is drawing comparisons to emmitt smith. With bradshaw undergoing another ankle procedure and jacobs seemingly slowing up I see a fit.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#14 » by mjhp911 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:32 am

As per BBI...

Giants Likely to Extend Coughlin’s Contract
Giants Likely to Extend Coughlin’s Contract: Giants’ Team President and CEO John Mara addressed the press yesterday at the NFL’s Scouting Combine and indicated that the team will likely extend the contract of Head Coach Tom Coughlin soon. Coughlin is entering the final year of the 4-year, $21 million contract he signed in 2008.

“I’ve had one or two very casual conversations with his agent, but we haven’t gotten into serious negotiations yet,” Mara said. “I just haven’t had the time to do that. But that I expect to happen sooner rather than later. That will get done, so that’s not an issue.”

http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/2011/02/25/giants-likely-to-extend-coughlins-contract/
krustytheclown
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#15 » by krustytheclown » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:40 am

coughlin is a good coach. if anyone should go its killdrive

Return to New York Giants