Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#62 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:22 pm

xTheHunterx wrote:Wow this is going to get ugly

http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_wiret ... ultimatum/

Good. This is probably a bluff by the Yankees, but it gives Arod an idea that if he opts out, then he isn't going to be a Yankee. We have a very good deal with Arod now with Texas subsidizing most of his contract, but it becomes a bad deal if he opts out and we have to pay the full $30+ mil.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#63 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:11 pm

This makes it interesting. Now it's more than a Boras/Yankee thing, now ARod becomes a part of it. How badly does he want to be here, and more importantly, how much pride does he have? He has won over a lot of fans with his 1st half of the season, and although he still needs a great October in pinstripes, I believe he can deliver it. Now it's up to ARod to tell Boras he wants to be a Yankee, and if this is the only way, then so be it.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#64 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:17 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:This makes it interesting. Now it's more than a Boras/Yankee thing, now ARod becomes a part of it. How badly does he want to be here, and more importantly, how much pride does he have? He has won over a lot of fans with his 1st half of the season, and although he still needs a great October in pinstripes, I believe he can deliver it. Now it's up to ARod to tell Boras he wants to be a Yankee, and if this is the only way, then so be it.

Players don't hire Boras to boss Boras around. They hire Boras to get the biggest payday possible. As we have found out during his entire career, Arod has no allegience to anything other than the almighty dollar. Let's not play up the "create your legacy as a Yankee" angle, because that's fan diatribe and not every player thinks that way. Arod is looking for the almighty green, not the almighty ring.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by PR07 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:23 pm

My question is how long is the window at the end of the season do we have to negotiate with AROD without losing Texas's contributions to his contract?
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#66 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:26 pm

PacersRule07 wrote:My question is how long is the window at the end of the season do we have to negotiate with AROD without losing Texas's contributions to his contract?

10 days after the World Series ends is the deadline.
DakkaFromNyc
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#67 » by DakkaFromNyc » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:59 pm

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Good. This is probably a bluff by the Yankees

That is what i doubt cuz i doubt the Yanks will let ARod slip away from them w/o a fight.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#68 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:16 pm

Players don't hire Boras to boss Boras around. They hire Boras to get the biggest payday possible. As we have found out during his entire career, Arod has no allegience to anything other than the almighty dollar. Let's not play up the "create your legacy as a Yankee" angle, because that's fan diatribe and not every player thinks that way. Arod is looking for the almighty green, not the almighty ring.

Everything reaches a point. Sure, the 25 year old ARod wanted a big payday. Does that mean a 32 year old, seemingly mature ARod doesn't want a ring? I don't think so. ARod is driven to win a ring. He is way too concerned with what people think of him, and yes, his ''legacy'' to throw that all away for an extra $1 million or $2 million a year. If the Yankees will give him $30 million a year now, why lose that and get $33 million a year elsewhere. He isn't that much of an idiot. And while you are right, players hire Boras to get their money, it isn't as if they don't have a say. ARod can tell Boras he wants to remain a Yankee, so make it happen. Boras works for ARod.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,113

Post#69 » by Pharmcat » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:11 pm

i love this poker game the Yanks are playing
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#70 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:28 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Everything reaches a point. Sure, the 25 year old ARod wanted a big payday. Does that mean a 32 year old, seemingly mature ARod doesn't want a ring? I don't think so. ARod is driven to win a ring. He is way too concerned with what people think of him, and yes, his ''legacy'' to throw that all away for an extra $1 million or $2 million a year. If the Yankees will give him $30 million a year now, why lose that and get $33 million a year elsewhere. He isn't that much of an idiot. And while you are right, players hire Boras to get their money, it isn't as if they don't have a say. ARod can tell Boras he wants to remain a Yankee, so make it happen. Boras works for ARod.

Arod will throw away his "legacy" as a Yankee for 2-3 million dollars more a year. I'd put a bet on that.

Again, if he didn't want the biggest payday, he wouldn't have hired Boras. Boras or Arod have no allegiance to the Yankees, they will not do anything to make the Yankees lives easier, and if you think otherwise you are naive.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#71 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:39 pm

Arod will throw away his "legacy" as a Yankee for 2-3 million dollars more a year. I'd put a bet on that.

Again, if he didn't want the biggest payday, he wouldn't have hired Boras. Boras or Arod have no allegiance to the Yankees, they will not do anything to make the Yankees lives easier, and if you think otherwise you are naive.

For 2 million more? No way. ARod wants to win a championship badly. He may not care about his YANKEES legacy, but he cares about his legacy and winning rings. He is an intelligent man, he knows that the Yankees will give him the opporunity to win a ring in each of the 8 years he could sign for. It isn't about allegiance to the Yankees, why would it be...it's about winning a ring for him at this point.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#72 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:59 pm

For 2 million more? No way. ARod wants to win a championship badly. He may not care about his YANKEES legacy, but he cares about his legacy and winning rings. He is an intelligent man, he knows that the Yankees will give him the opporunity to win a ring in each of the 8 years he could sign for. It isn't about allegiance to the Yankees, why would it be...it's about winning a ring for him at this point.

Keep dreaming. Arod will take the highest offer regardless of who offers it. You are just being naive now, nothing in Arod's history shows that he would do anything but that. If the Yankees don't put out the highest offer, he'll be gone. If he truly felt the way you say he did, he would have already been extended by the Yankees. Instead, Boras is intent on letting him wait until the offseason where he is in an open bidding market, where the bids can escalate and Arod stands to make the most amount of money.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#73 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:13 pm

Keep dreaming. Arod will take the highest offer regardless of who offers it. You are just being naive now, nothing in Arod's history shows that he would do anything but that. If the Yankees don't put out the highest offer, he'll be gone. If he truly felt the way you say he did, he would have already been extended by the Yankees. Instead, Boras is intent on letting him wait until the offseason where he is in an open bidding market, where the bids can escalate and Arod stands to make the most amount of money.

"ARod's history." What history? The guy has signed 1 major contract in his career and that was when he was 25 years old. What fool wouldn't take the money at that point?

And I don't agree that he would have been extended already. This story is just 2 days old, I don't think you can expect anything to realistically happen that quickly other than ARod hitting 5 more home runs. It isn't as if ARod has had 2 months to tell Boras to make this happen. There is still plenty of time.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#74 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:23 pm

"ARod's history." What history? The guy has signed 1 major contract in his career and that was when he was 25 years old. What fool wouldn't take the money at that point?

And I don't agree that he would have been extended already. This story is just 2 days old, I don't think you can expect anything to realistically happen that quickly other than ARod hitting 5 more home runs. It isn't as if ARod has had 2 months to tell Boras to make this happen. There is still plenty of time.

Come on, you honestly expect Arod to get extended during the year? I put a %.11111 chance of that happening, and that's an optimistic estimate. It's clear to apparently everybody but you that Arod will go to the highest bidder, or he would have let the Yankees extend him by now. He's looking to get in an open bidding war over the offseason, his value will then escalate due to one crazy owner, and he gets signed to a crazy deal until he is 40. See Tom Hicks as an example, and I see no reason why another manager/owner would not step up and do the same thing when ARod hits the market after this year.

If you are thinking Arod is going to take a paycut to stay here, I need some of that green you are smoking.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#75 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:32 pm

Come on, you honestly expect Arod to get extended during the year? I put a %.11111 chance of that happening, and that's an optimistic estimate. It's clear to apparently everybody but you that Arod will go to the highest bidder, or he would have let the Yankees extend him by now. He's looking to get in an open bidding war over the offseason, his value will then escalate due to one crazy owner, and he gets signed to a crazy deal until he is 40. See Tom Hicks as an example, and I see no reason why another manager/owner would not step up and do the same thing when ARod hits the market after this year.

If you are thinking Arod is going to take a paycut to stay here, I need some of that green you are smoking.

How it would be a paycut when his annual salary would be increasing is beyond me. Boras said that ARod WILL make $30 million this season, and Buster Olney said that he spoke to GMs and nobody can afford that but the Yankees. If ARod wants to, he will sit down with Boras and express his interest to remain with the Yankees at $30 million and call it a day.

I've never said it will happen or it should happen, just that the ball is in ARod's court. It is simple: either he wants to be a Yankee, or he doesn't...money aside.

This isn't a situation remotely close to when he was a free agent 7 years ago. Hicks went crazy and gave ARod $25 million a year. If an owner went crazy like that today, it would be for $35-40 million a year. That isn't even possible. Like you said, not even for the Yankees. So yes, I will reiterate my point that he will be back next season. If you feel he will go to the highest bidder, that is fine...but nobody can offer what the Yankees can. Even Boston couldn't take on ARod's $25 million a year, which is why he ended up in pinstripes, and they're a pretty damn big market team I think. So if you think he can go to the Angels for $33 million, then you're the one being naive.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#76 » by cmaff051 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:36 pm

How it would be a paycut when his annual salary would be increasing is beyond me. Boras said that ARod WILL make $30 million this season, and Buster Olney said that he spoke to GMs and nobody can afford that but the Yankees. If ARod wants to, he will sit down with Boras and express his interest to remain with the Yankees at $30 million and call it a day.

I've never said it will happen or it should happen, just that the ball is in ARod's court. It is simple: either he wants to be a Yankee, or he doesn't...money aside.

This isn't a situation remotely close to when he was a free agent 7 years ago. Hicks went crazy and gave ARod $25 million a year. If an owner went crazy like that today, it would be for $35-40 million a year. That isn't even possible. Like you said, not even for the Yankees. So yes, I will reiterate my point that he will be back next season.

I stand by the fact that he will be going to the team that gives him the highest offer. He will not take a paycut, as I said, to stay with the Yankees. If the Yankees are offering him $30 mil a year and the Giants are offering him $32 mil, you can bet that he'll be in a Giants uniform next year.

It is simple: either he wants to be a Yankee, or he doesn't...money aside.

You really are naive, man... Money is the most important thing here. If he gets the highest offer from the Yanks, he is staying here.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by PR07 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:34 pm

AROD wants the money, but he also wants to win some WS Rings. If the Yanks field a competitive offer to him that is pretty close to others, he'll be back as a Yankee. However, I don't think it will ever reach that point as I see the Yankees trouncing any other offers AROD will get.
DakkaFromNyc
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#78 » by DakkaFromNyc » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:11 am

It is simple: either he wants to be a Yankee, or he doesn't...money aside.

:clap:

that is what it sums up 2
34Celtic
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#79 » by 34Celtic » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:15 pm

I will shoot myself if he goes to Boston
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#80 » by cmaff051 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:06 pm

34Celtic wrote:I will shoot myself if he goes to Boston

It's not worth it. :)

I won't be happy if Arod goes to Boston, but I won't be sad either. It would just go to show you what kind of person Arod really is.

Return to New York Yankees