ImageImageImageImageImage

Jets 2018 Season Discussion Thread (Next: Week 1 @ Detroit Lions)

Moderator: Rich Rane

zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Jets 2018 Season Discussion Thread (Next: Week 1 @ Detroit Lions) 

Post#1 » by zilby » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:00 pm

Alright guys, we're through another terrible year, Bowles and Mac have extensions for the next three years, and it's still a rebuild somehow despite starting a 38 year-old QB all season.

Draft results:

Round 1: 3rd overall pick - Sam Darnold, QB from USC
Round 3: 72nd overall pick - Nathan Shepherd, DT from Fort Hays State
Round 4: 107th overall pick - Chris Herndon, TE from Miami
Round 6: 179th overall pick - Parry Nickerson, CB from Tulane
Round 6: 180th overall pick - Folorunso Fatukasi, DL from Conneticut
Round 6: 204th overall pick - Trenton Cannon, RB/R from Virginia State

Key Free Agents:

Josh McCown, QB (re-signed to a 1-Year, $10M deal with NYJ)
Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE (signed with JAX)
Wesley Johnson, C (signed with DET)
Demario Davis, ILB (signed with New Orleans)
Morris Claiborne, CB (re-signed with NYJ)
Kony Ealy, DE (signed with DAL)
Chandler Catanzaro, K (signed with Tampa Bay)

2018 Regular Season Schedule

Now that Woody Johnson is no longer overseeing the team due to his White House obligations, we have brother Chris in charge, who hadn't really been as much of a presence. I'm curious as to the moves Mac will make, and even though we haven't seen a ton of success in the last two years, I still think he's done a good job in going for it while not compromising the future. We traded picks only in the 5th round or later his entire tenure here, we got an extra second rounder this year and Kearse for Sheldon who's been underwhelming in Seattle, and a year after the debacle with Geno and the terrible locker-room chemistry, we've gotten rid of all the low-character guys and actually have a decent locker room foundation right now.

Our receiving corps is in better condition than it was a season ago, and Robby's been a bright spot this year along with ASJ.

Hopeful expectation: draft a promising QB, let the offense develop and have the defense continue to do what it does.

Realistic, I-Know-Because-I'm-A-Jets-Fan outcome: We sign Kirk Cousins to big money only to go 8-8 next year. :lol:
Hawaiian pizza is good.
BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Re: Jets 2018 Season (& Draft/Offseason) Discussion Thread (Latest: Jets Pick 6th) 

Post#2 » by BRIGGS » Mon Jan 8, 2018 5:42 pm

Id take Baker Mayfield 6th--I think hes the next Brett Farve--has great accuracy and strong arm strength. Leader fun to root for. Someone might bsay trade down but thats why we have pick 6 to leverage the spot for the player we want. Hes there at 6--so we simply pick him. Resign Mcgowan for one year

Id draft maybe his buddy at TE with one of those picks --Id take two TEs in this draft--both big targets 6-5 250+

We need another corner with the other 2nd rd
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Re: Jets 2018 Season (& Draft/Offseason) Discussion Thread (Latest: Jets Pick 6th) 

Post#3 » by Barcs » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:07 pm

I think the Jets should try to trade up to get Rosen. He's the only QB I'm comfortable with and he plays in the WC offense. Darnold could easily be a bust, I don't like USC QBs. Mayfield likely will take a while to get acclimated because he didn't play in a pro style offense. I'd take him if available, but the only QB i'd trade up for is Rosen. If we can't do that, we should stand pat, draft the best player available and sign Kirk Cousins. Theoretically, the Giants AND Colts could be wiling to trade down. I suspect the Giants will stick with Eli and want to draft Barkley as well as help on the oline. Trading down could enable them to do this, since #2 is too early to draft Barkely. The Colts also will be likely to trade down because they already have luck and don't need a QB. I'm just worried about other teams trading with them to get a head of us. Denver is also a threat.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Re: Jets 2018 Season (& Draft/Offseason) Discussion Thread (Latest: Jeremy Bates Promoted to OC) 

Post#5 » by Grover » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:47 pm

Greenie wrote:I want Cousins

I want him but does he choose the Jets over the other options that have better chances to win a Super Bowl? Several teams will clear enough room to offer the $30M it's going to take and the years but I'd guess that Jacksonville and Minnesota might be the front runners to Denver and the Jets. The question is who are the other possibilities and do they reach for a quarterback in the draft in addition to signing Taylor, Bridgewater, Keenum or someone else if Cousins spurns their sales pitch?
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Re: Jets 2018 Season (& Draft/Offseason) Discussion Thread (Latest: Jets to Sign Teddy Bridgewater) 

Post#6 » by zilby » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Jets reportedly to sign Teddy Bridgewater, ending my 8-8 Kirk Cousins conspiracy:

Read on Twitter

I don't mind it if it's a low-money, short-term team. Teddy's worth a gamble; he was really good, but he's also played a grand total of three drives in two years. I don't think this alters our strategy in the early goings of the draft to take one of Allen/Mayfield/Rosen, but it likely means we'll attempt to redshirt them for a few games unless Teddy gets hurt again or is terrible, at which point they get thrown into the fire. I'd skip that step anyhow, since we need to rebuild and get our new QB as many NFL reps as possible, but I digress.

EDIT - ****, now this just makes less sense to me. Now our draft strategy makes no sense if we do indeed sign Teddy.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Re: Jets 2018 Season (& Draft/Offseason) Discussion Thread (Latest: Jets Trade Up to No. 3) 

Post#7 » by Grover » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:09 pm

Elway's looking like a genius for signing Keenum before Cousin's decided on the Vikings. The Colts added three seconds to be able to have a shot at the same player they would have taken at three and our guy who drafted Hackenberg trades those seconds and the sixth pick to move up to three in a two pony race. I just hope his third QB is a reach for Mayfield over the bust that will be Josh Allen.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Re: Jets 2018 Season (& Draft/Offseason) Discussion Thread (Latest: Jets Draft QB Sam Darnold at 3) 

Post#8 » by Barcs » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:49 am

I was all about Rosen, but the fact that Darnold actually fell to us was pretty incredible. I guess we just thought it was a given that the Browns or Giants would take him. I knew the Giants were going Barkley, but I can't believe the Browns nabbed Baker at #1. They could have come out of this draft with both Darnold and Bradley Chubb but passed on both. What a failure!

I was just happy Rosen didn't go to the Bills, but I was surprised he fell that far. It's going to be an exciting year. Hopefully they give Darnold time and let him develop. Ideally I'd like to see Teddy start half of the season. So far this off season has been excellent. We fixed the 2 weakest positions by upgrading center and getting a shutdown type of corner. If Darnold pans out, watch out for the Jets in the future.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
rickyt31
Sophomore
And1: 409

Re: Jets 2018 Season (& Draft/Offseason) Discussion Thread (Latest: Jets Draft QB Sam Darnold at 3) 

Post#9 » by rickyt31 » Sun Jul 1, 2018 6:35 pm

I'm a fan of Rosen, but I think Darnold will be good enough for us not to worry about the others.
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,058

Re: Jets 2018 Season (& Offseason) Discussion Thread (Latest: Jets Draft QB Sam Darnold at 3) 

Post#10 » by vallen » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:39 am

There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
bucketz
Sophomore
And1: 16

Re: Jets 2018 Season (& Offseason) Discussion Thread (Latest: Jets Draft QB Sam Darnold at 3) 

Post#11 » by bucketz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Darnold looked pretty good last night. I am now REALLY curious how he would look getting snaps with the first string offense playing against first string defenses.
Teddy also looks pretty good! I love Mccown because he seems to love our Jets but if Teddy and Darnold keep this up, he's gonna have to take a back seat to the youngin's.
This is not a not burner account

Return to New York Jets