ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 New York Jets Draft and Offseason

Moderator: Rich Rane

Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

2020 New York Jets Draft and Offseason 

Post#1 » by Grover » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:16 pm

Thrilled with Douglas taking over for MacCagnan and leading his first draft. Any interest in discussing the offseason and draft on our team page? Bueller?
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Re: 2020 New York Jets Draft and Offseason 

Post#2 » by N Y K » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:14 am

Gimme an OT in first and two WRs after
Grover
Rookie

Post#3 » by Grover » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:35 pm

N Y K wrote:Gimme an OT in first and two WRs after

If the draft mirrors Joe Douglas’ board then great. Though at #11 there’s a great chance for one of his top rated offensive tackles to be available and I’m still jacked that Douglas is a former offensive lineman, I’ve yet to see anyone accurately predict the first ten picks in a draft. I will be cheering for Brown, Kinlaw, the surprise nobody saw coming and as many quarterbacks being selected as possible ahead of the Jets. Though Young won’t and Okudah and Simmons are extremely unlikely to slide to the Jets, I’d suggest Joe should have them rated higher than any of the tackles and would jump on any of them. Whether Joe sees Becton as a power versus zone blocker suspect to speed rushers and Wirf’s as a right tackle due to his shorter arm length we won’t know. By the time they get to the second round selection at #48, a player who is significantly higher on their board may have slipped enough that he takes a defensive lineman or linebacker and it wouldn’t be wrong. Ending up with three starters on either side of the ball and a special team contributor would be a home run. Whether he circles back and works a trade for Williams, signs a stop gap tackle or two like Peters, Dotson, Glenn or even Beachum, waits for Rieff to be cut post the draft or he sees something in Fant that we haven’t is why he has the job. Despite Kiper’s grades on so many receivers, some will shine and some won’t but the pickings could get a lot more questionable by the time they are on the clock by #68. It could be a point in the draft where some of the interior offensive lineman who might need a year of beefing up and coaching have greater value to take over for some of the short term signings. Douglas has to balance immediate improvement and the longer term movement toward a stacked roster while hopefully becoming the new Ozzie Newsome before we realize it.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#4 » by Barcs » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:45 pm

N Y K wrote:Gimme an OT in first and two WRs after

I'm hoping for that same thing. If not a top 4 OT, they should trade down. This draft is deep in WRs, but top heavy in OTs.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Moose
Analyst
And1: 1,299

Post#5 » by Moose » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:43 pm

Would love to come out of this draft with a left tackle and wide receiver. I can see a lot of teams trying to jump in front of us to grab an OT though, like the Bucs.

What scenario would it take for you to trade back?

This site is looking at the odds and we are locked in at WR or OT, which isn't all that surprising. https://www.bonusseeker.com/news/new-jersey-sports-betting-sites/2020-nfl-draft-betting-predictions-jets
Grover
Rookie

Post#6 » by Grover » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:35 pm

Moose wrote:Would love to come out of this draft with a left tackle and wide receiver. I can see a lot of teams trying to jump in front of us to grab an OT though, like the Bucs.

What scenario would it take for you to trade back?

This site is looking at the odds and we are locked in at WR or OT, which isn't all that surprising. https://www.bonusseeker.com/news/new-jersey-sports-betting-sites/2020-nfl-draft-betting-predictions-jets

For a team with holes on both sides of the ball, sorely lacking depth, having a large number of players under one year contracts while having a young and promising quarterback in the fold, I tend to think it foolish that Douglas would not be open to trading back early and often. I do like the #11 slot as after the Bengals take their quarterback there are three premier defensive players, four offensive tackles and three wide receivers deemed to be the first tier at their positions. Regardless of movement ahead of the Jets, a starting caliber player will be available at #11 that fills a need even if a defensive lineman and a couple of quarterbacks fall out of the top ten. Ideally a video is released with Young smoking dope with a gas mask and he slides to the Jets as we’ve been without a edge rusher since John Abraham.
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#7 » by N Y K » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:55 am

Hi Mekhi :nod:
Grover
Rookie

Post#8 » by Grover » Sat May 23, 2020 2:51 pm

Though I had Wirfs as the top tackle I thought he was the most probable to slide from some comments regarding his fit to the right side with a floor of moving inside to guard. I hope Joe proves me wrong and Becton is a beast. I loved the trade back and the selection of Mims who I had as a first round value. In the third round my board would have selected Baun and Cushenberry while being a slave to my board would have taken Hall in Perine’s spot. I didn’t see enough of either of the other two picks in the fourth but I like that Morgan has a strong arm and the other was a tackle projected to move inside. In the fifth round I had Brad Anae ahead of Tyler Johnson as I tend to like the relentless motor guys who lack the elite combine times. I don’t mind taking a punter but I’m also a sucker for legacy kids like Jon Runyon who went one pick later to Green Bay. Throwing a bone to the new defensive backfield coach and the trade of the second sixth rounder was fine though I liked K.J. Hill from Ohio State as a special team returner and slot receiver who I think was a steal in the seventh round.

As the Jets just announced the Flacco signing and have added Gore, we wait for the fate of Williamson and Winters and see if they sign or trade for a legitimate receiver, a veteran cornerback or someone capable of pressuring a quarterback.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,585

Post#9 » by Rich Rane » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:27 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to New York Jets