ImageImageImageImageImage

2013 Offseason Thread (Update: Kellen Winslow Signs)

Moderator: Rich Rane

Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Re: 2013 Offseason Thread (Update: Sparano, Tannenbaum Fired 

Post#21 » by Grover » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:20 pm

Moocow, I tend to respect your insights on Knick basketball. Read nyjetscap.com. Though there are parts of Jason's analysis where I take issue, he is leaps and bounds ahead of the mods on the Knick board in his understanding. PR moves aside, the path is likely to be ugly in the short term to right this Jet ship.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 981

Post#22 » by Shark » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Apparently the Jags don't want Tebow. Say we don't release him, how ever unlikely that would be) do you guys think that Rex would consider using him in this "option/attack" style offense he was talking about during the press conference or do you guys think that it was all just talk? I'm not one of those people that really believes in Tebow as a NFL QB, but I'm at least intrigued to see what he could do if we do go to this option offense. If we end up being stuck with both Sanchez and Tebow (I hope not) I think Tebow would do the best in the option offense.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,560

Post#23 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Shark wrote:Apparently the Jags don't want Tebow. Say we don't release him, how ever unlikely that would be) do you guys think that Rex would consider using him in this "option/attack" style offense he was talking about during the press conference or do you guys think that it was all just talk? I'm not one of those people that really believes in Tebow as a NFL QB, but I'm at least intrigued to see what he could do if we do go to this option offense. If we end up being stuck with both Sanchez and Tebow (I hope not) I think Tebow would do the best in the option offense.

I dont there is any shot the Jets keep Tebow. The Jags talk was only if the Jets cut Tebow so the Jags lack of interest doesnt really matter. Reason goes beyond just Tebow. Even though Tebow himself had little to nothing to do with this failure of a season he has become one of poster children for it. With Sanchez likely returning due to that ridiculous guaranteed extension they gave him, they cant afford to have the farce continue. Even if they bring in a stud offensive coordinator (and they arent thanks to the lameduck situation the headcoach is in and the utter lack of any real franchise level talent at QB, RB, WR or TE to work with) cant see Tebow returning. Only way would be to find a taker for Sanchez and, well, thats about as likely as the Mets winning the WS in 2013.

The Jets are a huge mess pretty much all over the place with only a handfull of guys under contract right now (half dozen maybe) that anyone can really say are nice. Beyond Revis, Cromartie, Mangold, Ferguson, Harris and Wilkerson (who you hope evolves into an elite DE) theres a whole lot of blah, bleh, pass their prime and unknowns. Stephen Hill had a dismal rookie season, Coples showed a couple glimpse but also didnt do near enough to prove doubters wrong. Holmes hasnt been a top WR for years and even if he was theres no QB to get the ball to him far enough down field to make him useful. Jeremy Kerley is an average no.2 WR...at best. None of their RBs are going to scare anyone..except maybe Jet fans. And obviously their QBs were beyond LOL.

Theyll need a miracle worker at GM to get them back to prominence next season...no thanks to their salary cap situation. At this point they may just want to think about just accepting being bottom feeders for the next few seasons and try to land a couple of franchise guys via the draft to build around. Worked well for quite a few teams in the playoffs right now.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#24 » by zilby » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:14 am

The New York Jets will interview Pep Hamilton for their offensive coordinator position.

Hamilton is currently offensive coordinator for Stanford.

Hamilton has been a quarterbacks coach previously in the NFL with the Jets, 49ers and Bears.

Read more: http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z2HpUnKrGn
Hawaiian pizza is good.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by moocow007 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:35 pm

zilby wrote:
The New York Jets will interview Pep Hamilton for their offensive coordinator position.

Hamilton is currently offensive coordinator for Stanford.

Hamilton has been a quarterbacks coach previously in the NFL with the Jets, 49ers and Bears.

Read more: http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... z2HpUnKrGn

This may actually not be a bad idea. Rather than digging through the trash of castoff NFL offensive coordinators, maybe looking for a fresh face that may be a little more hungry to prove himself as a OC is the way to go. Stanfords offense is more of a pounding style that relies and physical RBs and TEs to basically plow Into and create cover nightmares against opposing defenses. Having a once in a decade QB like Luck really put them over the top but at its core are an attack offense...which is way that Ryan said he wanted to play. So on paper...seems like a great fit. And Hamilton having NFL experience (even if its just QB coach) helps make him not a total unknown of a hire. So good if they can do it. Of course they still have the task of finding the players that can play that style (power backs and big physical TEs that can catch passes)...but gotta start somewhere.
zilby
RealGM

Post#26 » by zilby » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:49 am

My guess is Hamilton is supposed to help Greene get back into his rookie form and groom Powell/McKnight.

The more I think about it, the more I have no friggin clue why we gave Sanchez that extension.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by moocow007 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:11 am

Im not really high on any of the Jets runners but they probably don't have any choice since there really isn't a game changing RB in this draft.

If they hire Hamilton to be the offensive coordinator it'll be interesting to see who they take. Both Stanfords bookened TE's as well as their primary RB will likely be declared for the draft so there are some guys that could be considered in the 2-5 rounds if they want to go that way.

One guy that's a bit risky but who could really be a big hit in Ryan's defense is Dion Jordan from Oregon. 6'7" beastly player that probably fits best as a OLB but who has the potential to become a DE down the road. Very versatile attack defender that can pass rush or drop back and cover. Elite athlete with a giant wingspan, once he fills out he could be a monster. Risky but he's the top defensive player on one of the top teams in college football this past season. Biggest knock is that he's only 240-245lbs and may not have an ideal position.

Ezekiel Ansah is another guy that could be worth a look if they trade down. 6'6" 270lb DE from BYU that some compare to JPP of the Giants. A bit raw but has a terrific motor and the type of potential to be a pass rushing fiend that teams may dread passing up on.

Both these guys have tremendous upsides and could turn into elite pass rushers but do the Jets have the patience or will they try to look for quick fixes?

Now if the Jets can only find the next Colin Kaepernick...
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#28 » by DowNY » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:45 am

Eddie Lacy in the 2nd Rd please!!!!
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by moocow007 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:48 pm

DowNY wrote:Eddie Lacy in the 2nd Rd please!!!!

Lacy is probaby the only RB in this draft that has any real shot of turning into a top producer. Just way too many needs for the Jets right now. In no specific order:

LB/DE - Both Pace and Scott very well could have played their last games with the Jets. This is why a good majority of folks think they'll go with a LB/DE with the 9th overall pick. There's a lot of guys that could fit the bill that are projected right around that spot.

TE - Keller has, for the lack of a better word, been a dud. He's a FA so while they could bring him back for the cheap they could really use a big bodied physical TE that can catch some passes in the worse way for the pellet armed Mark Sanchez (so far the incumbent QB). A TE that can catch and block is critical if Ryan wants the Jets to have a "physical attack" offense. Also real important if they end up with Sanchez back at the helm (Sanchez was at his best when Keller was healthy).

OT - probably the biggest hole on the Jets offensive line, a position that they've been trying to fill for some time. Austin Howard may be the answer but if they get a chance to draft a top notch one it may be hard for them to pass up on.

RB - Greene is a FA and there's belief that he won't be back. Even if he does return Greene hasn't lived up to expectations at all. A new OC might help, might not. Neither Powell nor McKnight are no.1 backs. They theoretically can do a RB by committee but both guys are underwhelming-ish.

S - Laron Landry is believed to have played himself off the team (good for Landry, bad for the Jets) and will most likely be gone. Bell will be what? 80 next season (yes I'm exaggerating but you guys get the point).

QB - OBVIOUSLY a need...nuff said.

WR - Holmes is their only proven WR and he's really not been top tier since his Steeler days. Also if they end up with a weak armed starting QB it pretty much neutralizes the greatest asset Holmes offers...his ability to get down the field. Schillens and Kerley are mediocre 2nd and 3rd WR's...at best and neither will put any real fear in opposing secondaries. Stephen Hill suffered through a miserable rookie season with injuries but even when healthy his biggest showing was dropping passes.

---

CB and ILB may be the only 2 positions that the Jets are considered a "plus" with but even then they may be forced to trade either Cromartie or Harris (or both) to try to fill other positions in the draft.

---

Sans a trade (and I think there will be) the Jets probably will be going based on need (vs. BPA), I would imagine that they'll go with a LB/DE type (Mingo, Moore, Jordan, etc) in the 1st round and probably a TE in the 2nd (especially if they end up with Stanfords Pep Hamilton as the offensive coordinator since Stanfords top receiver, TE Zack Ertz, is projected to be right at around where the Jets pick in the 2nd). Then followed by a S and QB (in no order) with the next 2 picks. Quite a few QB's that could turn out to be real nice slotted for the 3rd round range (big armed throwers and versatile scramblers...obvioulsy with question marks).
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 19,037

Post#30 » by j4remi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:58 pm

John Idzik? Someone school me on him.
Haliburton/Sasser/Nunez
Murray/Dick/Christie
Hunter/Walker/George
Kuzma/Washington/Clowney
Zubac/Theis/Sanogo
zilby
RealGM

Post#31 » by zilby » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:21 am

j4remi wrote:John Idzik? Someone school me on him.

John Idzik II. He grew up in the game of football, as John Idzik I was a football player and eventually a coach (was an assistant for the Jets in the 70's). Idzik II's resume consists of front office roles for the Buccaneers (he has a Superbowl ring from them), the Arizona Cardinals (he was there when they went to the Bowl in 2008), and most recently was the VP of football administration for the Seattle Seahawks.

Apparently is a good scout, and also good with the salary cap. So my guess is we're gonna tank and go for the top pick next year, use it as an excuse to can Ryan at the end of next year and let Idzik start scratch with his own team.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
zilby
RealGM

Re: 2013 Offseason Thread (Update: John Idzik is New GM) 

Post#32 » by zilby » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:06 pm

It’s no secret what the biggest task facing new Jets general manager John Idzik is: Fix an offense that finished 30th in the NFL last season, and do it with very little flexibility under the salary cap.

The Jets got started on that task minutes after Idzik officially took the job when the team hired Marty Mornhinweg as its new offensive coordinator, according to a source.

Mornhinweg brings with him a West Coast offense that will be pass-first and wide open — a departure from the Ground and Pound style that used to be championed by head coach Rex Ryan and was implemented last year by Tony Sparano.
BIRD MAN: New Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, working with Michael Vick last year with the Eagles, will have his work cut out for him this season.
AP
BIRD MAN: New Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, working with Michael Vick last year with the Eagles, will have his work cut out for him this season.

Mornhinweg has spent the past 10 seasons as an Eagles assistant, the last seven as offensive coordinator under Andy Reid, who gave Mornhinweg primary play-calling duties in 2006. Since then, the Eagles’ offense has finished no lower than 15th in yards per game in the NFL — their passing offense has not finished lower than 13th. Both of those came this past season when the Eagles finished 4-12. Mornhinweg had five top-10 finishes in those seven years. The Jets, on the other hand, have not had a top 10 offense since 1998.

What Mornhinweg will find when he travels a few hours up I-95 is the Jets do not have any offensive weapons like DeSean Jackson or LeSean McCoy. The Jets offense had a dearth of dominant players at skill positions this year, which ultimately cost GM Mike Tannenbaum his job.

The immediate focus is going to be on solving the quarterback problem. Four-year starter Mark Sanchez ended up losing his job in December to second-year quarterback Greg McElroy. Sanchez has a career completion percentage of 55.1, way too low for a quarterback in a West Coast system who is asked to make precise timing throws.

Sanchez’s $8.25 million guaranteed salary and the lofty cap hit that would come with cutting him means he probably will be on the roster this year. The expectation is Idzik will bring in another quarterback through a trade, free agency or the draft to compete with Sanchez for the starting job.

The immediate speculation is going to focus on Seahawks’ backup quarterback Matt Flynn, because of Idzik’s familiarity with him. Idzik spent the past six years as Seattle’s vice president of football administration and negotiated Flynn’s three-year, $26 million contract last year. With the emergence of Russell Wilson, the Seahawks are expected to shop Flynn around.

There will also be chatter about the Jets having interest in the Eagles’ Michael Vick because of Mornhinweg’s work with him over the last four years. The Eagles are expected to release Vick shortly after the Super Bowl to avoid paying him any of the $15.5 million he is due next season.

Both Flynn and Vick, along with 49ers quarterback Alex Smith, seem unrealistic for the Jets because of their salary cap issues. Even after making roster cuts to get under the cap, the Jets will not have much to spend and a lot of positions to fill. The Jets could have as many as 12 new starters next year.

Cheaper veterans are more realistic targets, including Matt Moore, Tavaris Jackson, Jason Campbell or David Garrard. The Jets also could decide to draft a quarterback in the second or third round. It is unlikely they would use their first-round (No. 9 overall) pick on a quarterback with the lack of elite passers in this year’s draft.

With free-agency losses, the Jets also could be in the market for a starting running back, guard and tight end on offense.

Idzik and Mornhinweg won’t have much of a honeymoon in their new jobs.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/ste ... WaXjwSXJWM
Hawaiian pizza is good.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: 2013 Offseason Thread (Update: Idzik, Mornhinweg New GM, 

Post#33 » by j4remi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Love the OC hire. I wouldn't mind Garrard for a year tbh...just while we get finances on track and set up to rebuild, because there's a lot of dead weight to be let go of.
Haliburton/Sasser/Nunez
Murray/Dick/Christie
Hunter/Walker/George
Kuzma/Washington/Clowney
Zubac/Theis/Sanogo
DowNY
RealGM

Post#34 » by DowNY » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Trading Revis (our best player) at his lowest value would be dumb. I think the rumors out will lead to an extension. The CB you should trade is Cromartie. He has high (pro-bowl) value.
I would try to pry Larry Fitzgerald from the Cards. Their in more of a rebuilding stage than we are. We still have a chance to not completely rebuild.

Antonio Cromartie, Stephen Hill, Bilal Powell, Tim Tebow(or McElroy) & maybe an early conditional draft pick in 2014 for Larry Fitzgerald.

We'll then have a legitimate WR corps we haven't had since Braylon/Holmes AFC Championship days. Maybe restructure Holmes & roll with that.

Sanchez isn't going anywhere, so we can just accept that for one more season & try to actually give him some damn weapons. Also think we need to draft Eddie Lacy or Giovani Bernard in Rd 2. Need a true workhorse Rb for the new offensive scheme. Can even sign a low risk high reward replacement for Bilal for cheap.

Need to deal David Harris for a rd 3 pick also. Or even throw him in the Cards deal. He isn't the Linebacker he was before we extended him. Time to regroup the Linebackers corps. Inside & out.

Saw a recent article where we can get a good $18 mil under cap & that's before the proposed Cards trade I just brung up.
I say we go hard for Jake Long in FA. Try to resign LaRon. Then trade back a bit in the 1st & draft 1 of the 2 top OG's.
Go Lacy or Bernard in 2 & go Linebackers with rest of picks.

That's how you do a quick rehaul for 1 last push before a complete rebuild.
DowNY
RealGM

Post#35 » by DowNY » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:47 pm

I don't think we should even draft a QB & waste a pick. Sanchez is on the team for 1 more season. No 1 will trade for him & cutting him isn't worth it financially.
Let's get Sanchez some good weapons again & a real QB competetion with a cheap vet (Campbell or Jackson?) & build around him for 1 more season.
If we fail then, then we cut Sanchez which works better after next season rather than this off-season & draft a QB, get a New HC & restart then. It'll be a better QB class anyway.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by moocow007 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Sanchez needs a TE he can pass to as he simply does not have the arm strength to toss the ball down field to effectively use deep threats. Keller has been a flub so they may want to think TE either in the draft or in free agency. That is if they actually want to salvage anything. But even beyond Sanchez...a strong TE is a biggie if Ryan wants an attack offense...not only from a pass catching standpoint but also as another blocker to help open up room for your running game.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#37 » by j4remi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:46 pm

moocow007 wrote:Sanchez needs a TE he can pass to as he simply does not have the arm strength to toss the ball down field to effectively use deep threats. Keller has been a flub so they may want to think TE either in the draft or in free agency. That is if they actually want to salvage anything. But even beyond Sanchez...a strong TE is a biggie if Ryan wants an attack offense...not only from a pass catching standpoint but also as another blocker to help open up room for your running game.

Don't look now, but they're looking into signing one of the biggest busts in nfl history...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-russell/
Haliburton/Sasser/Nunez
Murray/Dick/Christie
Hunter/Walker/George
Kuzma/Washington/Clowney
Zubac/Theis/Sanogo
zilby
RealGM

Post#38 » by zilby » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:59 pm

JaMarcus might make the season a bit funnier at least.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 981

Post#39 » by Shark » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:39 am

Ugh... I almost don't care anymore.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by moocow007 » Fri Feb 1, 2013 3:11 am

j4remi wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Sanchez needs a TE he can pass to as he simply does not have the arm strength to toss the ball down field to effectively use deep threats. Keller has been a flub so they may want to think TE either in the draft or in free agency. That is if they actually want to salvage anything. But even beyond Sanchez...a strong TE is a biggie if Ryan wants an attack offense...not only from a pass catching standpoint but also as another blocker to help open up room for your running game.

Don't look now, but they're looking into signing one of the biggest busts in nfl history...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-russell/

Even if he could the Jets can't. It's like being on probation and being told that if you associate with felons you could go to jail...and then wanting to bring a felon to your home because you think he has turned things around.

Return to New York Jets