ImageImageImageImageImage

Does anyone here feel the Jets need to change to a 4-3?

Moderator: Rich Rane

atribecalledrch
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Does anyone here feel the Jets need to change to a 4-3? 

Post#1 » by atribecalledrch » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:21 pm

I think we need to get Devito Wilkerson and Pouha all playing downs together. I also feel the Jets try to make a move for Dwight Freeney, We need to get tougher on the edges and need better pass rushing someone who can get to the QB efficiently. But of course the Jets won't do this because they're the idiot Jets. Our LBs arent strong enough to blow past these tackles and we need to make this change. I hope Rex notices this.
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Re: Does anyone here feel the Jets need to change to a 4-3? 

Post#2 » by Grover » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:04 pm

I'm not certain if it is the defensive alignment or poor talent evaluation by this regime that has been the cause of a lousy pass rush. Ever since Jenkins went down the first time a few years back, the rush has been second tier at best. Pouha has improved but he does not collapse the pocket and if it takes a 4-3 to do it then I'm for it. I think management needs to hit on a replacement right tackle and a legitimate stud who gets to the quarterback but I have my doubts that they are good evaluators of talent. Woody Johnson should find a way to bring in Billy Devaney to replace Tannenbaum.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,501

Post#3 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:21 pm

Grover wrote:I'm not certain if it is the defensive alignment or poor talent evaluation by this regime that has been the cause of a lousy pass rush. Ever since Jenkins went down the first time a few years back, the rush has been second tier at best. Pouha has improved but he does not collapse the pocket and if it takes a 4-3 to do it then I'm for it. I think management needs to hit on a replacement right tackle and a legitimate stud who gets to the quarterback but I have my doubts that they are good evaluators of talent. Woody Johnson should find a way to bring in Billy Devaney to replace Tannenbaum.

It's tough because for all of his short comings, Tannenbaum really is great at navigating the cap. I wish they could just keep him as a cap expert and bring in a better talent evaluator though. I like the 3-4 because it allows for Rex to do some creative work with the pass rush, but it's not gonna matter how creative he is unless they bring in the talent. I like Wilkerson's potential as a pass rusher though and adding an LB that's better than Pace at rushing the passer will make a big difference now.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Grover
Rookie

Post#4 » by Grover » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:51 pm

I've seen Coples slide in some recent mocks. I've read about his motor but he probably has the most "sack artist" potential in the draft. Do you take him at 16 if he does indeed slide? I think I might even with Vernon Gholston still fresh in my mind.
Grover
Rookie

Post#5 » by Grover » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Watched Maycock right after I posted Coples and he killed him. Rates him number fifty prospect and would not touch him until the third round. How the mighty can fall.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,501

Post#6 » by j4remi » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:51 pm

Fingers are crossed for Upshaw to be honest.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Grover
Rookie

Post#7 » by Grover » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:52 am

At least at sixteen the Jets should be able to fill a need with one of the best players available who can step in immediately as a starter. I'm hoping Reiff falls to the Jets but I still hope they trade down or out of the first round and acquire more picks in rounds two and three.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#8 » by TNBT » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:25 pm

I'm no expert on American football, but I like to think I know the basics about the different defensive setups. I like Pouha against the run, but on passing downs, I don't have a lot of confidence in him (and two DE's) being able to occupy enough blockers for a LB to get to the passer. Also, given the fact that our LB core features aging guys like Pace, Thomas and Scott who aren't really great at rushing the QB at this stage in their careers, I don't think a 3-4 setup is a great idea, even if the line can keep the blockers busy, as we don't have many threats at the LB position to get to the QB.

With the roster we have, it seems to me that the majority of our pass-rush potential (Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis and Maybin) are on the defensive line. I think a 4-3 which allows the line to be more attacking would utilize those guys better by letting them go after the QB as opposed to just occupying blockers.

Now as I said, I'm no expert on the game, but from what I know of the game, what I just typed makes sense. I'm curious to get opinions on whether people agree or disagree with me, and whether what I said is even accurate.

Return to New York Jets