ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official 2012 New York Jets Draft Thread (8th Round)

Moderator: Rich Rane

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,824

The Official 2012 New York Jets Draft Thread (8th Round) 

Post#1 » by Rich Rane » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:27 am

Here are the Jets's picks:

Round 1, Pick 16 (16th overall) - Quinton Coples
Round 2, Pick 11 (43rd overall) - Stephen Hill
Round 3, Pick 14 (77th overall) - Demario Davis
Round 6, Pick 17 (187th overall) (From Eagles through Colts) - Josh Bush
Round 6, Pick 32 (202nd overall) (Compensatory selection) - Terrance Ganaway
Round 6, Pick 33 (203rd overall) (Compensatory selection) - Robert T. Griffin
Round 7, Pick 35 (242nd overall) (Compensatory selection) - Antonio Allen
Round 7, Pick 37 (244th overall) (Compensatory) - Jordan White

I've seen two or three mocks that have the Jets selecting Melvin Ingram. If that happens, I will be very happy. The man is very versatile on defense and explosive as well. I'm hoping he could be for the Jets everything we wished Vernon Gholston should've been.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,501

Re: The Official 2012 New York Jets Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by j4remi » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:30 pm

Short post, random question...If David Decastro slips, do we reach for him...He's got a ton of hype and our O-Line needs help but he's really a Guard prospect and we clearly need a RT. I think there should be plenty of O-line depth in the second round still...so I probably would rather grab an LB...but I don't know if I could get upset at taking a pretty nice O-Line prospect.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#3 » by Pharmcat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:45 pm

i think jets should keep all first 3 picks and use them to fill their needs they have plenty

no need to move up and burn all assets
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#4 » by j4remi » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Pharmcat wrote:i think jets should keep all first 3 picks and use them to fill their needs they have plenty

A friend of mine said the leaked deal rumor is our first and second this year along with a first next year. I don't think that's THAT bad. We'd still have two picks in the first three and we have a ton of late picks in a deep draft where we could come away with talent. I'd LOVE the deal if it was two firsts and a third instead of our second tbh. Having Green/Richardson combo...lethal.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#5 » by Rich Rane » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:10 pm

Man, when was the last time the Jets drafted a running back in the first round?
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#6 » by Grover » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:31 pm

There is an excellent argument for DeCastro backed by newyorkjetsalarycap.com in an article about the Jet's impending draft that tracks success historically in rounds by position. It's like Money Ball for football. Essentially guards and tackles have a better hit rate in the first two rounds than linebackers, ends and receivers. Moore and Slausen are also unrestricted free agents after this season. I'd be very happy with DeCastro in the first, Massey in the second and a receiver or running back in the third. The defense will survive, take on a few boom-busts in rounds five, six, and seven because the chances of nailing an impact rusher early are just too darn low.

j4remi wrote:Short post, random question...If David Decastro slips, do we reach for him...He's got a ton of hype and our O-Line needs help but he's really a Guard prospect and we clearly need a RT. I think there should be plenty of O-line depth in the second round still...so I probably would rather grab an LB...but I don't know if I could get upset at taking a pretty nice O-Line prospect.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#7 » by j4remi » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:41 pm

Grover wrote:There is an excellent argument for DeCastro backed by newyorkjetsalarycap.com in an article about the Jet's impending draft that tracks success historically in rounds by position. It's like Money Ball for football. Essentially guards and tackles have a better hit rate in the first two rounds than linebackers, ends and receivers. Moore and Slausen are also unrestricted free agents after this season. I'd be very happy with DeCastro in the first, Massey in the second and a receiver or running back in the third. The defense will survive, take on a few boom-busts in rounds five, six, and seven because the chances of nailing an impact rusher early are just too darn low.

That's an interesting take and the O-line situation next season makes it a lot more reasonable to me if they do go that way. I still don't know that DeCastro would be my first choice personally but I wouldn't mind the move so much.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#8 » by Pharmcat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:17 pm

j4remi wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:i think jets should keep all first 3 picks and use them to fill their needs they have plenty

A friend of mine said the leaked deal rumor is our first and second this year along with a first next year. I don't think that's THAT bad. We'd still have two picks in the first three and we have a ton of late picks in a deep draft where we could come away with talent. I'd LOVE the deal if it was two firsts and a third instead of our second tbh. Having Green/Richardson combo...lethal.

im sorry but thats a bad trade for NYJ

they have soo many weaknesses they need to plug them, not just sell the farm

I do think they will trade up bc their GM and HC are under pressure
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Re: The Official 2012 New York Jets Draft Thread (Day 1) 

Post#9 » by treiz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:47 am

Would've preferred Ingram due to him being a more pressing need, but I'll take Coples. But we already had a good front 3 in DeVito-Pouha-Wilkerson. Where's he going to play?

I think we NEED to trade up in the 2nd to guarantee Upshaw now, we need a pass rusher.
TTorelli
Pro Prospect
And1: 65

Re: The Official 2012 New York Jets Draft Thread (Day 1) 

Post#10 » by TTorelli » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:13 pm

Day 2...Hoping that Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffery, or Cordy Glenn fall to #47

Wouldn't be opposed to trading up either to get one of the three or even Upshaw as long as we don't trade the 3rd round pick
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Re: The Official 2012 New York Jets Draft Thread (Day 2) 

Post#11 » by Rich Rane » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:07 pm

Day 2, Jets Needs (And reasons why they're needs)...

Linebacker (aging), safety (anyone to take snaps away from Eric Smith), tackle (anyone to take snaps away from Wayne Hunter), wide receiver (a second wideout), running back (I'm not entirely sold on the committee of Greene, McKnight, Powell), kicker
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: The Official 2012 New York Jets Draft Thread (Day 2) 

Post#12 » by j4remi » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Rich Rane wrote:Day 2, Jets Needs (And reasons why they're needs)...

Linebacker (aging), safety (anyone to take snaps away from Eric Smith), tackle (anyone to take snaps away from Wayne Hunter), wide receiver (a second wideout), running back (I'm not entirely sold on the committee of Greene, McKnight, Powell), kicker

I don't think RB will be addressed...They've picked an RB like three or four years running. Safety and Linebacker are the most pressing needs and I REALLY think they need to grab a Tackle for the return to the run.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Re: The Official 2012 New York Jets Draft Thread (Day 3) 

Post#13 » by Rich Rane » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:08 am

Day 3, Jets Needs (And reasons why they're needs)...

Safety (anyone to take snaps away from Eric Smith), tackle (anyone to take snaps away from Wayne Hunter), running back (I'm not entirely sold on the committee of Greene, McKnight, Powell), kicker

I'm still afraid offenses will attack the middle, but I'm guessing the Jets also have Yeremiah Bell waiting in free agency. He was pretty average last season, but I still think he's a huge step up from Eric Smith.
Pharmcat
RealGM

Post#14 » by Pharmcat » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:46 am

the jets have had a good draft, although Im not sure if they gave up too much or not to move up to get hill

pass rush improved? check
WR? check
last day, need to get a secondary player and a RB
with 5 picks left they can do that

good job so far
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#15 » by Grover » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:00 pm

No surprise that these clowns went boom/bust and traded away picks again as this is likely their last year to make a run before being shown the door. I hope someone is whispering in Woody's ear to not allow Tannenbaum to trade future picks as the next regime will end up being in a much larger hole and require more time to right the ship and build a winning organization. I strongly believe a few educated fans or even a dartboard would make better talent evaluators and drafters without the help of interviews, psychological exams and wonderlic scores than these intellectually challenged baffoons who would likely fail the tests themselves.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Re: The Official 2012 New York Jets Draft Thread (8th Round) 

Post#16 » by Rich Rane » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:24 am

8th round...here are the undrafted free agents the Jets have brought in so far:

CB Donnie Fletcher
CB D’Anton Lynn
CB Ryan Steed
DE Donovan Robinson
DT Damon Harrison
DT Brett Roy
K Brody McKnight
OT John Wayne Cullen
QB G.J. Kinne
RB Stephfon Green
TE Brian Linthicum
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: The Official 2012 New York Jets Draft Thread (8th Round) 

Post#17 » by j4remi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:39 pm

I'm disappointed in this draft. Coples could be great...but he really is reminiscent of Gholston in a lot of ways. Ingram made so much more sense there that it's beyond me how the Jets blew that. Hill was a good move, and I have high hopes for him but he's going to take time to figure it out. Davis could be something, but he's a nothing risky pick. They DID however add a monster RB who can be our short yardage back...which was a nice move.

Anyway, the Safeties they took late don't give me confidence. Our LB need is still there. Wayne Hunter doesn't have any pressure unless you think Ducasse is going to come on strong. Our pass rush is relying on Wilkerson's development and Coples not being a bust. Our O-line is still lacking. Our Safety position isn't improved beside depth wise I suppose. I'm worried about this season tbh.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Jets