Post#1 » by Rich Rane » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:47 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg0kPsASvSg[/youtube]
BoBBo!
Starter
And1: 875

Re: New York Jets Select Quinton Coples 

Post#2 » by BoBBo! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:55 am

Thanks Rich.

I'm not impressed with what I see. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,823

Post#3 » by Rich Rane » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:57 am

He's a huge risk. If he's motivated, he could be the best pass rusher in this draft, but many scouts questions his play snap-to-snap.
BoBBo!
Starter

Post#4 » by BoBBo! » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:01 am

Yuck. Gholston 2.0? These sorts of picks rarely turn out well.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#5 » by Rich Rane » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:05 am

BoBBo! wrote:Yuck. Gholston 2.0? These sorts of picks rarely turn out well.

DON'T SAY THAT NAME! :lol: With our abundance at the line, we may have to convert him to OLB like we tried with Gholston as well.
Lead Assistant
And1: 277

Post#6 » by 624 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:37 am

BoBBo! wrote:Yuck. Gholston 2.0? These sorts of picks rarely turn out well.

Not even close.

Coples will play 3-4 LDE.

Coples is bigger than Shaun Ellis was coming out of college (in height and in weight).

He's the best run defender in the draft and an elite pass rushing talent as well, top 10 prospect who fell in our laps at 16.

I would have probably preferred DeCastro, but Coples was still a BPA pick and makes our D-Line set for the next decade. He was 2nd on my short board behind DDC with who was available at 16.

Rex Ryan personally worked Coples out at his pro day, and as a former D-Line coach I trust Rex's judgment.
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#7 » by treiz » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:49 am

^Yeah, can't see Coples playing any other position than DE. Although the DeVito-Pouha-Wilkerson front 3 did well for us last year
TTorelli
Pro Prospect
And1: 65

Post#8 » by TTorelli » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:08 pm

There will be plenty of snaps to rotate all four linemen in and out.

I personally really like the pick...plain and simple you can't teach size. This guy has the tools physically to be one of the best, we just need our coaching staff to help get him there.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#9 » by Rich Rane » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:52 pm

TTorelli wrote:There will be plenty of snaps to rotate all four linemen in and out.

I personally really like the pick...plain and simple you can't teach size. This guy has the tools physically to be one of the best, we just need our coaching staff to help get him there.

I kind of felt we were set at the line. With a line of DeVito, Pouha, and Wilkerson and line depth consisting of Kenrick Ellis, Mike Devito, Marcus Dixon, Martin Tevaseu, and Ropati Pitoitua. I felt set here.

Line abundance aside, my biggest gripe on him is motivation. The guy basically shut down all last season. Before the Jets's last season, I wouldn't have worried about it here. Now...
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,501

Post#10 » by j4remi » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:57 pm

I didn't like this pick. Gimme Ingram or Decastro dammit!
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by 624 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:03 pm

DeVito is a great player to have in a rotation and has depth, but lets face it....he is very replaceable as a starter. He will do extremely well in a rotation but is an overachiever at the position (albeit a great run stuffer).

D-Line wasn't a need, but I'm glad the Jets have the balls to go what they believe to be the BPA and still upgrade a very important position in the D-Line.

Our Front 7 is being rebuilt over the last couple years.

The Jets placed a late 1st round grade on Ingram. He is a tweener and doesn't have the size to be a true OLB in Rex's scheme. It's become pretty evident how highly Rex regards size in assessing outside linebackers.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#12 » by Rich Rane » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:06 am

624 wrote:Our Front 7 is being rebuilt over the last couple years.

So has our running core, both at the cost of downgrading at other positions.
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by 624 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:08 am

Rich Rane wrote:

How so? We spent a 3rd and a 4th..
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#14 » by Rich Rane » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:49 am

624 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

How so? We spent a 3rd and a 4th..

It's also not really the front 7, more so the d-line and running core. Just saying last year, we traded up to get Bilal Powell with three other RBs on the roster. Age and injury downgraded other positions like safety, linebacker, and o-line depth and could've possibly been addressed (not going to get into the should've/should not have picked argument).

Back to the pick, I still classify this as a huge risk.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,129

Post#15 » by moocow007 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:14 am

Big risk/reward guy. Big time physical specimen with the potential to dominate as a pass rusher. Compared by some to Julius Peppers. NC program was really screwed up last season and they did need a pass rusher desperately...and Coples was the best projected pass rusher at the next level. Whether the Jets staff is the right staff to get him focused and charged up? Who knows. But hell have fun in Ryan's aggressive attack defense since he's got tremendous combination of size and athleticism.

As far as the other options? Apparently the Jets weren't the only team that didn't think Upshaw was a blue chip player. Ingram is being projected as a stocky LB in the NFL (not a DE) and not really a fit for the Jets defensive style tbqh. Ingram is more Gholston build and game wise than Coples IMO. The only other pass rusher that was intriguing was Chandler Jones whom the Pats jumped up to snag. Some believe he has the potential to develop into an elite pass rusher in a few years.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#16 » by zilby » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:42 pm

Coples seems like a guy who needs a lot of pushing from coaches to be successful, but he's scary good when he is. I see it panning out with a guy like Rex on his ass every play, I like the pick.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#17 » by DowNY » Wed May 9, 2012 11:42 am

Don't think he'll be a problem. Matter fact, I think he'll have a very good chance (If no injury - knock on wood) of being DROY. Rex already likes what he sees from the kid & it's not like he's a bad guy. He just took the stupid lazy way out as far as his last year of college went. He didn't want to ruin his 1st rd grade for the draft in his last year of college. He's young. Got some more maturing to do but hey, everybodys different. Can't fault him for not wanting to lose millions & wanting to see his NFL dream actually happen. I think the contract is motivation enough. We got a beast on our hands.
BoBBo!
Starter

Post#18 » by BoBBo! » Fri Sep 7, 2012 7:56 pm

DowNY wrote:Don't think he'll be a problem. Matter fact, I think he'll have a very good chance (If no injury - knock on wood) of being DROY. Rex already likes what he sees from the kid & it's not like he's a bad guy. He just took the stupid lazy way out as far as his last year of college went. He didn't want to ruin his 1st rd grade for the draft in his last year of college. He's young. Got some more maturing to do but hey, everybodys different. Can't fault him for not wanting to lose millions & wanting to see his NFL dream actually happen. I think the contract is motivation enough. We got a beast on our hands.

Luke will be DPOY. Couples won't put up the stats that an ILB can.

I've been pleasantly surprised with Couples in the preseason. He's made at least one big play in every game so far.

I will happily look like an idiot for thinking that he had more bust potential than a chance to be a star based on the unimpressive footage I watched predraft. Prove me wrong Quinton!!!

Return to New York Jets