ImageImageImageImageImage

Jets Trade Wayne Hunter To Rams For Jason Smith

Moderator: Rich Rane

zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Jets Trade Wayne Hunter To Rams For Jason Smith 

Post#1 » by zilby » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:49 am

Continuing their right-tackle shuffle, the New York Jets have acquired former St. Louis Rams first-round pick Jason Smith for Wayne Hunter.

The Jets confirmed the trade, pending physicals for both players Tuesday.

The move reunites Hunter with former Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer.

The move comes four days after the Jets benched Hunter. His replacement, Austin Howard, received positive reviews for his performance Sunday night against the Carolina Panthers, but the Jets wanted to fortify the weakest spot on their offensive line.

Smith, the second overall pick in 2009, lost his starting job to Barry Richardson, culminating a stunning downfall. After three seasons of injuries and ineffectiveness, the Rams finally decided to move on.

The writing was on the wall as far back as April, when Smith agreed to a massive pay cut, lowering his salary from $10 million to $4 million -- all guaranteed.

Hunter is owed $2.45 million guaranteed on his contract.

The Jets, under heavy criticism for not addressing the issue in the offseason, have reached the point of desperation. On the eve of training camp, they traded for former Panther Jeff Otah, another first-round disappointment, but the deal was voided a week later when Otah failed his physical.

At the start of camp, the Jets professed their faith in the beleaguered Hunter, but they ran out of patience after he allowed 2.5 sacks in an Aug. 18 loss to the New York Giants. Hunter, hounded by fan and media criticism, lost his confidence, leaving the Jets little choice but to bench him.

Hunter heard the insults from fans behind the Jets' bench and he had to be restrained by teammate Vladimir Ducasse from approaching them, according to a team source. The organization felt it would be difficult for Hunter, known for spiraling into mental funks, to continue in New York.

They turned to the unproven Howard, who didn't allow any sacks in the game.

"I thought Austin Howard had a nice game for us," Jets coach Rex Ryan said.

On Sunday night, Hunter played about 10 snaps as an extra blocker in two-tight end packages, returning to the role where he enjoyed success in 2010. But, in the fourth quarter, he allowed a sack at left tackle, hearing it once again from the fans.

The Jets and Rams have swapped draft busts in recent days. On Aug. 22, the Rams signed defensive end Vernon Gholston, whom the Jets drafted sixth overall in 2008.

In 2009, the Rams made Smith the second pick, three spots ahead of where the Jets drafted quarterback Mark Sanchez. At the time, the Jets were concerned because they thought there was a chance the Rams were going to pick Sanchez.

Concussions have limited Smith to only 29 games (26 starts) over three seasons. The former Baylor standout suffered a severe concussion as a rookie.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_ ... louis-rams

Smith is very questionable due to injury, but he's still young and hopefully he can put it together and have a healthy year. And thank god no more Hunter!!! :rockon:
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Re: Jets Trade Wayne Hunter To Rams For Jason Smith 

Post#2 » by Bertrob » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:19 am

Well Hunter was garbage so regardless of who we got its a win
But Jason Smith is a nice pickup. Its not really a lack of skill that he hasn't succeeded imo, its injuries. Obviously its a big concern but if he can get that under control its a HUGE win for us
He didn't go 2nd overall for no reason ;)
Very happy with this trade because we still have Howard to fall back on
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,801

Post#3 » by Rich Rane » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:17 am

Howard will still be starting. The Jets traded their team's headache for another Rams' more expensive headache hoping the headache they got would thrive in a different environment. However, it would be fine if Smith doesn't work out since his contract could be voided whereas the Jets would be stuck with Hunter for three years. I hope no one complains this was all we got for Hunter since...it was Wayne Hunter. Smith is younger though and still has potential as well, but do I think he'll become another Maybin? Not expecting it, but like Maybin, I hope Smith proves me wrong.
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,569

Post#4 » by Im Coming Home » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:29 pm

So happy, 2nd overall pick for Wayne Hunter? LOL. I don't care about the injuries as long as this guy is healthy now, I think he still has the talent to put it together.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith

Return to New York Jets