ImageImageImageImageImage

Sanchez benched for McElroy

Moderator: Rich Rane

Paraglock
Freshman
And1: 0

Sanchez benched for McElroy 

Post#1 » by Paraglock » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:41 pm

The New York Jets coach made the dramatic but expected decision Tuesday, benching the only starting quarterback he's had in four years. Ryan will give Greg McElroy his first career start Sunday at home against the San Diego Chargers.

Ryan is expected to address the media at 4:45 p.m. ET.

The decision is a stunning blow to Tim Tebow, the No. 2 quarterback. The organization is concerned about the potential fallout from passing over one of the most popular players in the league, and Ryan may try to find a way to incorporate Tebow into the game plan, a source said.

Sanchez, who survived a job scare three weeks ago when he was pulled from a game, imploded in Monday night's 14-10 loss to the Tennessee Titans. He threw four interceptions and lost a fumble, tying a career high for turnovers as the Jets (6-8) were mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

Sanchez has a league-high 24 turnovers, including 17 interceptions. His two-year turnover total is a staggering 50.

Took long enough. Sanchez is not a NFL QB. Be nice to see what McElroy can do.
"Life is Tough....Tougher if you are Stupid."
Daggy
Sophomore
And1: 3

Re: Sanchez benched for McElroy 

Post#2 » by Daggy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:45 pm

I know many say Tebow sucks in practice, and I'm no Tebow fan... but come on, not even a game to give the guy a chance after promising him the world to lure him to the city? That's... really not stand up.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#3 » by TNBT » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:15 pm

Daggy, I don't think we really had any intention of using Tebow much on the field anyway. There will be some who deny it, but I think it's pretty clear that we went and got him for the publicity. If we were supposedly so sure that Sanchez was going to become this franchise QB, then going after Tebow really was an odd move.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#4 » by zilby » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:18 pm

TNBT wrote:Daggy, I don't think we really had any intention of using Tebow much on the field anyway. There will be some who deny it, but I think it's pretty clear that we went and got him for the publicity. If we were supposedly so sure that Sanchez was going to become this franchise QB, then going after Tebow really was an odd move.

I'd agree with this except for the extension they gave Sanchez this past offseason. They got Tebow to try and fill a Brad Smith role in the wildcat, on top of that with the publicity. They didn't get Tebow to be another QB, they brought him to be a wildcat man for Sparano offense (which is what he was known for before coming here). And in his little time, Tebow has done next to nothing. If anything, it shows how little confidence the organization, and maybe the league, has in Tebow not as a player, but a quarterback. So, move onto McElroy right away.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#5 » by Shark » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:22 am

The biggest problem was using Sparano's played out Wild Cat playbook in the first place. I'll be honest I didn't watch very many games this season because of work. In the games that I watched all I saw was an offense that painfully lacked creativity. Hiring Sparano was a huge mistake from the get go.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#6 » by TNBT » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:32 am

Yeah, bring on McElroy already! I just changed my roster on Madden 2013 to make McElroy the starter, and on his first snap, he threw an interception. Given that, and the fact that Tebow managed to get sacked twice in limited minutes, I may not have much of a choice than to go with Sanchez when I play.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#7 » by zilby » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Aaaaaand we're back to square one. McElroy has a strained abdominal muscle, listed as questionable for Week 17. Sanchez will get the start if McElroy can't play.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#8 » by Shark » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:40 am

The only positive is that the Bills are the only team Sanchez seems to play well against.

Return to New York Jets