ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Should the Jets try for Alex Smith

Moderator: Rich Rane

MrMet69
Sophomore
And1: 12

Re: OT: Should the Jets try for Alex Smith 

Post#41 » by MrMet69 » Mon Feb 4, 2013 9:33 pm

Dude thehe reason why Alex is not starting is not because he sucks. Its because he got injured and Harbarugh decided to use Kapernick instead because of what Kapernick did against the Bears.

But if you look at Alex Smith stats. He actually has a better completion percentage and Quarter-back Rating than Colin Kapernick this year .

Jets should def look at Alex Smith. If the offensive line can protect him and Jets can develop a running game, they'll be a much better team next year.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,400

Post#42 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 4, 2013 9:47 pm

moocow007 wrote:
j4remi wrote:Bray is the guy I was thinking of. ESPN NY was talking about the Jets taking him but I can't remember if they said it just as a fit thing or if the Jets had already looked into him. He sounded like the perfect QB to bring in and develop...and I mean DEVELOP, not just throw to the wolves like Sanchez. I can't help but wonder what would have happened had we let Sanchez take his time and learn from the bench before tossing him in with no pressure whatsoever from a second QB.

Yeah the problem with Sanchez though is that he never had a real strong arm. He was labeled as the guy with all the intangibles that had that star aura about him. Maybe if he had more time those intangibles would have come out and made him something but Sanchez really had nothing to fall back on if everything else about him didn't click. The biggest dissapointment with Sanchez was that he seemed to be more interested in "Sanchez the media darling" instead of "Sanchez the starting QB of the Jets". That's really where he failed and I don't think anything could have prevented that.

In contrast, guys like Flacco and Kaepernick have cannon arms and the confidence to back it up, which is what made them so great...especially in big moments. They were talking about Kaepernick's throws being so hard that even in slow motion they looked fast. And Flacco can bazooka throws down field with accuracy and distance. It was actually funny when they were interviewing Flacco and he said quite even keeled that he doesn't think anyone else can throw as well as him, that even his son will never be as good as him...and then he went out there and backed it up on the biggest stage you can play on.

There is a more stark contrast then the one your making... Flacco and Kaepernick compared to Sanchez had larger bodies of works in college. Sanchez had no business being giving the reigns to a franchise based on the body of work he had at USC. He had 1 good year and a bum knee. I'll give him credit for leaving college at the right time but he's the same guy that couldn't beat John David Booty out for a job. The Jets need to run from Sanchez as fast as humanly possible but unfortunately he's in bed with the coach so that's not going to happen. Just my 2 cents.
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,163

Post#43 » by Im Coming Home » Mon Feb 4, 2013 9:59 pm

Is there any RG3 or Cam Newton in this years draft? I always wanted to see the Jets have a scrambling QB.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,085

Post#44 » by moocow007 » Mon Feb 4, 2013 9:59 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
j4remi wrote:Bray is the guy I was thinking of. ESPN NY was talking about the Jets taking him but I can't remember if they said it just as a fit thing or if the Jets had already looked into him. He sounded like the perfect QB to bring in and develop...and I mean DEVELOP, not just throw to the wolves like Sanchez. I can't help but wonder what would have happened had we let Sanchez take his time and learn from the bench before tossing him in with no pressure whatsoever from a second QB.

Yeah the problem with Sanchez though is that he never had a real strong arm. He was labeled as the guy with all the intangibles that had that star aura about him. Maybe if he had more time those intangibles would have come out and made him something but Sanchez really had nothing to fall back on if everything else about him didn't click. The biggest dissapointment with Sanchez was that he seemed to be more interested in "Sanchez the media darling" instead of "Sanchez the starting QB of the Jets". That's really where he failed and I don't think anything could have prevented that.

In contrast, guys like Flacco and Kaepernick have cannon arms and the confidence to back it up, which is what made them so great...especially in big moments. They were talking about Kaepernick's throws being so hard that even in slow motion they looked fast. And Flacco can bazooka throws down field with accuracy and distance. It was actually funny when they were interviewing Flacco and he said quite even keeled that he doesn't think anyone else can throw as well as him, that even his son will never be as good as him...and then he went out there and backed it up on the biggest stage you can play on.

There is a more stark contrast then the one your making... Flacco and Kaepernick compared to Sanchez had larger bodies of works in college. Sanchez had no business being giving the reigns to a franchise based on the body of work he had at USC. He had 1 good year and a bum knee. I'll give him credit for leaving college at the right time but he's the same guy that couldn't beat John David Booty out for a job. The Jets need to run from Sanchez as fast as humanly possible but unfortunately he's in bed with the coach so that's not going to happen. Just my 2 cents.

Absolutely. But the reason why he couldn't beat out Booty and why he was a flub waiting to happen was because he had neither the stuff nor the makeup to be an NFL QB. Even when the Jets were successful his 1st 2 years (AFC title game right?) they didn't get there because of him. They got there because their defense dictated the tempo of the game and their running game was able to take a good deal of pressure off of him to be a franchise QB. Sanchez just limited his mistakes (i.e. no butt fumbles) and worked within the system.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#45 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 4, 2013 10:22 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Absolutely. But the reason why he couldn't beat out Booty and why he was a flub waiting to happen was because he had neither the stuff nor the makeup to be an NFL QB. Even when the Jets were successful his 1st 2 years (AFC title game right?) they didn't get there because of him. They got there because their defense dictated the tempo of the game and their running game was able to take a good deal of pressure off of him to be a franchise QB. Sanchez just limited his mistakes (i.e. no butt fumbles) and worked within the system.

Yeah.. they do miss the running game and the O-line. I followed them a little more than I normally do because I'm a pro-latino type of person... I rooted for him early on and wanted to see him do well but he just don't have it. Another problem he has is he just doesn't seem like the quickest of thinkers in the pocket. I'm just not of the belief that all he needs is weapons on the outside and like you said his small arm wouldn't make Fitz a good choice to pair him with. Maybe they should try and dink and dunk the ball to quick, small receivers.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,964

Post#46 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Feb 4, 2013 10:36 pm

Alex Smith would have looked almost as bad as Sanchez this season. Jets need to upgrade there offensive line and add some playmakers on offense. Few QBs could have made that offense look good.

I would take Alex Smith over Sanchez, but it depends on the cost. There might be a bidding war for him.

Don't see how the Jets can bring Sanchez back though either.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#47 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 4, 2013 10:42 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Alex Smith would have looked almost as bad as Sanchez this season. Jets need to upgrade there offensive line and add some playmakers on offense. Few QBs could have made that offense look good.

I would take Alex Smith over Sanchez, but it depends on the cost. There might be a bidding war for him.

I don't remember who it was I was telling the guy the Jets should target is Ryan Mallet.
Futureisnow
Head Coach
And1: 1,272

Post#48 » by Futureisnow » Mon Feb 4, 2013 10:43 pm

Can't hurt if the Jets can sign him outright, but it sounds like the Jets have some cap issues that'll prevent that. Giving up a pick for him should be out of the question. You don't know how good he'll be now that he's not with Harbaugh (prior to Harbaugh taking over the team he was considered a bust) and the Jets have so many needs that giving up a draft pick for a QB that might not be any good shouldn't be given any thought.

I don't think the Jets have any other option than seeing how Sanchez comes back next year. Maybe they can draft or sign some weapons for him.
I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#49 » by I_Love_NYK » Mon Feb 4, 2013 10:49 pm

Jets are over the cap so they can't just sign Alex Smith or Matt Flynn if they were waived. Sanchez is guaranteed 8.5 mil and Holmes is guaranteed money also. No team in the NFL wants to trade for those two.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,964

Post#50 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Feb 4, 2013 10:49 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:Alex Smith would have looked almost as bad as Sanchez this season. Jets need to upgrade there offensive line and add some playmakers on offense. Few QBs could have made that offense look good.

I don't remember who it was I was telling the guy the Jets should target is Ryan Mallet.

He might not be a bad target, but its hard to see the Jets and Pats making a trade for a QB...
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,934

Post#51 » by Fury » Mon Feb 4, 2013 11:03 pm

The Jets shouldn't trade picks for QBs. They're not doing **** next year. Make your cuts (Scott, Pace, Smith, Smith, Thomas) and get like 10 million under the cap. Trade Revis or Cromartie for picks. Tank for Manziel or Bridgewater.
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,163

Post#52 » by Im Coming Home » Mon Feb 4, 2013 11:14 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:Is there any RG3 or Cam Newton in this years draft? I always wanted to see the Jets have a scrambling QB.

Anyone know?
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Futureisnow
Head Coach
And1: 1,272

Post#53 » by Futureisnow » Tue Feb 5, 2013 1:15 am

Im Coming Home wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:Is there any RG3 or Cam Newton in this years draft? I always wanted to see the Jets have a scrambling QB.

Anyone know?

Probably, but have the Jets drafted well since the Man-genius years? You gotta have a great scouting department to get a gem in the later rounds and the Jets haven't even hit on their last couple of 1st round picks.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#54 » by j4remi » Tue Feb 5, 2013 11:13 pm

Futureisnow wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:

Anyone know?

Probably, but have the Jets drafted well since the Man-genius years? You gotta have a great scouting department to get a gem in the later rounds and the Jets haven't even hit on their last couple of 1st round picks.

Wilkerson and Coples were good picks imo.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,085

Post#55 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:48 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:

Anyone know?

Not near to the level of either player...no...not at all.

Return to New York Jets