ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Jets: Revis Trade Imminent

Moderator: Rich Rane

Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Re: OT: Jets: Revis Trade Imminent 

Post#41 » by Greenie » Wed Mar 6, 2013 8:54 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:There were reports earlier today that a deal is close, but that could still mean a few weeks away. I kinda think they have no choice at this point. As good as Revis is I don't think it's smart team building to give all that money to a corner. The Jets need to rebuild at this point, they are not a Revis away from a title.

It's unfortunate the Jets overpaid for so many guys perhaps if they didn't do that they would have been able to keep him.

That Sanchez deal is enough for Tannebum to never have a job in the NFL again.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,400

Post#42 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Mar 6, 2013 8:55 pm

ShumpShump wrote:
I don't know if you're laughing at me or the post I quoted... but just keep in mind that Chiefs 2nd rounder is basically a first rounder.

I'm laughing at two firsts... even two seconds for a guy that right now is coming off a knee injury is too much.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#43 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Mar 6, 2013 8:55 pm

echelonNYK wrote:Stop using his injury as an excuse. This was his first major injury in his football career. The jets put themselves in this position where they can't afford to keep him. Revis shouldn't ask for less when he's just about to enter his prime years.

Explain to me how the injury doesn't factor in to what his value is?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,083

Post#44 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 6, 2013 8:57 pm

ShumpShump wrote:OK OK OK... hold on a second. I completely misread your original post.

I thought you were saying BOTH the 49ers first round picks, as in, two first round picks from the 49ers in addition to the 2nd they just got from the Chiefs. In that case, I completely agree with you. I'd aim for nothing less.

OK, move along, nothing to see here :D

lol ok. Yes that would be a good basis of a rebuild with the 9th pick, the 31st pick, the 34th pick and the 39th picks (4 of the first 40 picks) to rebuild. The 49'ers actualy have 15 picks in this draft and they have said that they are not going to use all of them...so maybe even a late round pick thrown in would help as the Jets don't even have their full normal compliment of picks thanks to Tannenbaum. With it they can go for a DE, a CB, a QB and either a OT or a TE.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Post#45 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Mar 6, 2013 8:58 pm

Yeah Rice and Young were doing their thing, however a lot of fans credit that superbowl run to Deion Sanders. Rice no doubt had a dominating playoff run. Irvin still went off in their game, but to the 49ers the Cowboys was the team that you had to get over the hump. Stopping Irvin was the way to do that and Sanders at the time was one of, if not the best CB in football.

I agree that you typically don't see teams winning super bowls with a CB being their best player, but IMO that also speaks to the quality of CB's over the years. That's why a guy like Revis is so damn rare, these guys don't come along all that often. Yeah Haden is great, yeah Peterson overall is a threat, but neither compare to a healthy Revis.

Regarding the Revis vs Mario, only used that because Mario was a free agent just last year and using his contract as a comparison. Revis is going to get paid one way or another and yeah I agree it's hard to justify a CB getting that much money.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#46 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:00 pm

Clayton is speculating a first and a third.
SaveUsKP6
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#47 » by SaveUsKP6 » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:01 pm

echelonNYK wrote:Stop using his injury as an excuse. This was his first major injury in his football career. The jets put themselves in this position where they can't afford to keep him. Revis shouldn't ask for less when he's just about to enter his prime years.

Only on RealGM do you find someone who thinks a season-ending injury for a guy who relies completely on his ability to stop on a dime and change direction shouldn't factor into the team's plans for him in the future.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#48 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:02 pm

I actually think safeties can have way more impact if we are talking about secondary. Revis is great but he ain't Deion. Deion was also a special teams threat and if he intercepted the ball he could score easy. Revis will probably be an all time great corner but the ironic thing about shutdown cover corners is they have the biggest impact when they don't get thrown to.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#49 » by EchelonNYK » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:04 pm

Not once in my mind when they announced he'll have season ending surgery i thought he was damaged goods. Revis is a tough young man. And this is a injury football players come back stronger from.
EchelonNYK
RealGM

Post#50 » by EchelonNYK » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:05 pm

Couple more and he'll be damaged goods for sure.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#51 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:05 pm

echelonNYK wrote:Not once in my mind when they announced he'll have season ending surgery i thought he was damaged goods. Revis is a tough young man. And this is a injury football players come back stronger from.

To be fair.. you're not the one who actually has to make the decision.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:06 pm

Get those 2 picks from the 49'ers. Take one of the high ranked DE's with the 9th overall (Jordan, Ansah, Mingo, Lotulelei). A CB with the 31st pick (Jonathan Banks has game breaking potential) to plug next to Cromartie. Then whatever with the next 2.
SaveUsKP6
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#53 » by SaveUsKP6 » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:07 pm

echelonNYK wrote:Not once in my mind when they announced he'll have season ending surgery i thought he was damaged goods. Revis is a tough young man. And this is a injury football players come back stronger from.

Other than AP, I don't think there is a single case to support this claim. And the fact that this is your belief tells me I shouldn't even bother trying to further this convo. It's a headscratcher for sure.
EchelonNYK
RealGM

Post#54 » by EchelonNYK » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:07 pm

That's fine. Because i'm sure the jets aren't factoring in his injury either. This is more from the fans side.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:07 pm

When it's all said and done I feel that we will get something of the following:
Second round pick this year.
Fourth or fifth round pick this year.
Second round pick this year that can reach a first via escalators.

It sucks because Revis is worth oh so much more.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#56 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:09 pm

echelonNYK wrote:That's fine. Because i'm sure the jets aren't factoring in his injury either. This is more from the fans side.

Or the team you're trading with.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by moocow007 » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:10 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:When it's all said and done I feel that we will get something of the following:
Second round pick this year.
Fourth or fifth round pick this year.
Second round pick this year that can reach a first via escalators.

It sucks because Revis is worth oh so much more.

The niners have 15 picks in this upcoming draft. They can spare more. And they are going all in and their front office apparently is in love with Revis plugging in for pretty much the only hole on the team and going for it all next year. They can get the 49ers 1st and the Chiefs 2nd for Revis IMO. Revis would have to prove he'll be ok, but I would doubt that Revis would complain jumping from the Jets to the 49'ers.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:15 pm

IMO 49ers make no sense in the long run. Their looking at extensions for Crabtree, Davis and Iupati and then Kaep and Smith next year. I just don't see the 49ers honestly making a play for Revis, it's only because they have all the picks that their being mentioned IMO. Unless they just plan on renting Revis, I just don't see it.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#59 » by I_Love_NYK » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:18 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Yeah Rice and Young were doing their thing, however a lot of fans credit that superbowl run to Deion Sanders. Rice no doubt had a dominating playoff run. Irvin still went off in their game, but to the 49ers the Cowboys was the team that you had to get over the hump. Stopping Irvin was the way to do that and Sanders at the time was one of, if not the best CB in football.

I agree that you typically don't see teams winning super bowls with a CB being their best player, but IMO that also speaks to the quality of CB's over the years. That's why a guy like Revis is so damn rare, these guys don't come along all that often. Yeah Haden is great, yeah Peterson overall is a threat, but neither compare to a healthy Revis.

Regarding the Revis vs Mario, only used that because Mario was a free agent just last year and using his contract as a comparison. Revis is going to get paid one way or another and yeah I agree it's hard to justify a CB getting that much money.

My arguement is name a Superbowl winning team where the CB was the face of the franchise. Jerry Rice was the face of the franchise for the 49ers. Matter of fact Jerry Rice was to the NFL what Michael Jordan was to the NBA at that time. And when Deion was in Dallas, Emmit Smith was the face of the Cowboys. Deion may be the GOAT for CBs but Emmit Smith and Jerry Rice were better football players.
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#60 » by poeman » Wed Mar 6, 2013 9:22 pm

Link me or someone ban this man

Return to New York Jets