OT: Buy or Sell: Jets will be 8-8 or better this season 

Post#1 » by Nostrand Ave » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:42 am

What will be my Jets record this upcoming season? :(
LBnySuaveJav23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,217

Re: OT: Buy or Sell: Jets will be 8-8 or better this season 

Post#2 » by LBnySuaveJav23 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:48 am

Sell until they prove otherwise. The list of Super Bowl championship franchises is top heavy but the again I witnessed two seemingly impossible Giants Super Bowl runs, so you never know!
"Yeah, you are. You right, bro" - Joe Dumars telling every PG on the roster they are starting.
Nostrand Ave
Pro Prospect
And1: 295

Post#3 » by Nostrand Ave » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:00 am

My vote depends on their offensive line. Anyone know if they made big improvements there?

With a rookie QB and somewhat unknown RB's we will need that O-Line to perform.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#4 » by Mecca » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:13 am

I'm up in Cortland now watching their training camp. It really is great!
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#5 » by Juggynaut » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:24 am

Sell, I think they'll be 5 - 11. And I think they Giants will be 11 - 5.
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,733

Post#6 » by JBreezeNY » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:43 am

Sell.

I think we'll be 6-10.

Really wanted us to go after Johnny Football but we're gonna be too good to tank.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#7 » by Greenie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:48 am

I hope good enough NOT to get Johnny Football and his OVERRATED butt.
shokase
Banned User
And1: 521

Post#8 » by shokase » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:31 am

boy am i glad that when i came to this country at 9years old that i chose to be a giants fan instead of jets. cant say the same for other choices mets knicks rangers haha

anyway i dont hate the jets but i cant see them going better than 7-9 realistically they should be around 5-11
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,625

Post#9 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:45 am

Nostrand Ave wrote:What will be my Jets record this upcoming season? :(

My Jets will be 5-11. Not sure about yours tho.
Free Palestine
iShump_alot21
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#10 » by iShump_alot21 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:07 am

Jets won't be much they won't contend 3rd or 4th in the division 5-11 seems legit I'd buy that
FerreroRocher
Banned User
And1: 72

Post#11 » by FerreroRocher » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:18 am

There is absolutely no way. Sell.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,111

Post#12 » by moocow007 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:26 am

Unless ive missed some offseason moves:

1. WR - They have no proven top line receiver healthy (not that Santonio Holmes would be expected to be a huge plus with the under performing and propensity to be disruptive with not knowing how to keep his big mouth shut). Braylon Edwards, the return, isn't exactly re-assuring since he barely produced a drop last season. Stephen Hill needs to prove that he can stay healthy and catch passes or that great size and elite speed won't mean much of anything.

2. RB - Their projected no.1 guy in the backfield is talented but has been injury plagued and has never been a no.1 option. Their no. 2 guy may not even be aroundepending what happens with his legal situation. Their top returning back just got dumped onto the not in condition to play football list immediately at the start of camp.

3. QB - You know Rex Ryan is going to start Mark Sanchez over Smith or anyone else. And I have about as much confidence in Sanchez as an NFL starting QB as I do in Eddy Curry being able to become a productive basketball player again. Geno Smith strikes me as the type that will need some time to adjust to the pressure of playing in NY so I don't have that much more confidence in him being able to lead the Jets to anything if he somehow wins the QB competition.

4. CB - Antonio Cromartie as the 2nd CB...fine and great. As the no.1 CB (especially with the overall questionnable state of their secondary)? Yeah I don't know about that. Especially when the projected no.2 CB has yet to sign and has a history of being injured. And the depth at the position includes a draft flub in Wilson.

5. TE - Do they even have a TE? Kellen Winslow Jr has a big name (thanks to his All Everything dad) but what exactly has he shown on the field that he could be even a semi force for pellet throwing Mark Sanchez? Sanchez needs a pass catching TE to be remotelty successful.

And there's still issues with the O Line and the secondary.

That D Line and OLB will have to show that they can be the 2nd coming of the big green machine (ie. The NY Sack Exchange) for this team to have any shot at anything.

My prediction is in the 5-11 range...though would be much happier with 4-12 or 3-13.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by moocow007 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:45 am

So...yeah...as a Jets fan...here's to flushing the season...and Sanchez...and Ryan...getting a shot at one of the franchise QBs (Bridgewater, Manziel, Boyd) or the elite pass rushing DE/OLB Jadeveon Clowney that has some saying is an elite stud that comes around once in a long time.
JustaKnickFan
Analyst
And1: 1,071

Post#14 » by JustaKnickFan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:12 pm

moocow007 wrote:Unless ive missed some offseason moves:

1. WR - They have no proven top line receiver healthy (not that Santonio Holmes would be expected to be a huge plus with the under performing and propensity to be disruptive with not knowing how to keep his big mouth shut). Braylon Edwards, the return, isn't exactly re-assuring since he barely produced a drop last season. Stephen Hill needs to prove that he can stay healthy and catch passes or that great size and elite speed won't mean much of anything.
Their receiving core isn't the greatest, but Clyde Gates and Stephen Hill have shown great improvement in training camp. They won some games with Chaz Schilens as their #3. I see their WR core only getting better from last year, and Braylon can add to that.
2. RB - Their projected no.1 guy in the backfield is talented but has been injury plagued and has never been a no.1 option. Their no. 2 guy may not even be aroundepending what happens with his legal situation. Their top returning back just got dumped onto the not in condition to play football list immediately at the start of camp.
McKnight was actually in football shape, and passed the conditioning test the day after he failed. I doubt he'd be able to do that if he actually wasn't conditioned. Anyway, Shaun Greene was absolute trash here last year, with his failure to produce a run more than 3 yards half the time, so getting guys like Ivory and Goodson, which chances are, they'll play some games, is a nice upgrade. They'll have Bilal Powell again who had a solid year last year, so basically the running backs improved to.
3. QB - You know Rex Ryan is going to start Mark Sanchez over Smith or anyone else. And I have about as much confidence in Sanchez as an NFL starting QB as I do in Eddy Curry being able to become a productive basketball player again. Geno Smith strikes me as the type that will need some time to adjust to the pressure of playing in NY so I don't have that much more confidence in him being able to lead the Jets to anything if he somehow wins the QB competition.
Well, Geno is already adapting well and is getting lots of praise from Marty. He's been learning the plays and posting solid #s in training camp while making some great throws. Even if Sanchez doesn't do well, last year was him at his absolute worst. There's no where to go from that but up.
4. CB - Antonio Cromartie as the 2nd CB...fine and great. As the no.1 CB (especially with the overall questionnable state of their secondary)? Yeah I don't know about that. Especially when the projected no.2 CB has yet to sign and has a history of being injured. And the depth at the position includes a draft flub in Wilson.
Wilson may have been a "draft flub", but he's still one of the better nickle cornerbacks in the league. The Jets go from Cromartie and Wilson out of position (which still got their defense 2nd in passing yards) to Cromartie, Milliner and NFL ready CB that can be #2, and Kyle Wilson back in his normal position. Clear upgrade IMO
5. TE - Do they even have a TE? Kellen Winslow Jr has a big name (thanks to his All Everything dad) but what exactly has he shown on the field that he could be even a semi force for pellet throwing Mark Sanchez? Sanchez needs a pass catching TE to be remotelty successful.
Kellen Winslow JR is a great TE, and was a steal pickup for the Jets. He made the Pro Bowl in 07, and he has a great work ethic. He already had a great minicamp with the team and things look good for the TE position. They go from Cumberland and scrubs to Kellen Winslow JR and Cumberland, another clear upgrade.
They had a top 10 O-line that is improving with new draft picks, and were 2nd in passing yards allowed. Those positions don't have "issues".
That D Line and OLB will have to show that they can be the 2nd coming of the big green machine (ie. The NY Sack Exchange) for this team to have any shot at anything.

My prediction is in the 5-11 range...though would be much happier with 4-12 or 3-13.

Jet's are probably going 7-9. The way I see it, if last year was Mark Sanchez playing at his absolute worst with the Jets going 6-10, i figure they can win another game this season with their improvements. Also, replies in bold to the post above, which I don't think is true.

So, the Jets were really bad last year and still managed to win games due to their defense. This year, they've improved their offense drastically (went from a offensive line coach to an offensive coordinator), and still improved their defense.
Knick Swisher
Head Coach
And1: 334

Post#15 » by Knick Swisher » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Let's see. Sanchez is still qb. D has taken a hit. No te (at least not a good one). No real playmakers. Lame duck head coach.

All this AND they have to play the pats and a much improved dolphins team twice (bills wont be easy for them either). I haven't look at their schedule yet so I'll say 6-10.

Sent from my LG E960 using RealGM Forums mobile app
NevaGivinKnixUp
Pro Prospect
And1: 239

Post#16 » by NevaGivinKnixUp » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:34 pm

Sell

Jets go 6-10, but it's the NFL you cant always judge a team solely on their roster.
"Oh well, adversity is the best teacher"
ag3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,406

Post#17 » by ag3 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:36 pm

Knick Swisher wrote:Let's see. Sanchez is still qb. D has taken a hit. No te (at least not a good one). No real playmakers. Lame duck head coach.

All this AND they have to play the pats and a much improved dolphins team twice (bills wont be easy for them either). I haven't look at their schedule yet so I'll say 6-10.

Jets defense took a hit?
Disagree strongly. Jets defense has improved and will be ranked in the top 5 this year.
SaveUsKP6
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#18 » by SaveUsKP6 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:40 pm

Knick Swisher wrote:Let's see. Sanchez is still qb. D has taken a hit. No te (at least not a good one). No real playmakers. Lame duck head coach.

D took a hit how? By losing a guy they didnt have all year last year? Laron Landry? The D will be fine. Probably improved. Wilk is going to be a star, Cope looked promising, if Ellis can stay healthy he is a big part of the D and I REALLY like Richardson. A lot. And he's impressed so far in camp. Guy can play any position on the line. We are finally going to have something we haven't had in our front line for as long as I can remember: SPEED!

And moocow, Cro is a perfectly fine #1 CB. He was last year and he ended up being one of the top CBs in the league. Hill and Geno have had nice chemistry in camp so far and Clyde Gates, who has always had all the tools but couldn't run routes, finally learned how to run routes.

I understand its just camp so that's why I'm not making any declarations but reports of almost every offensive player looking good through the first three days of camp beats the piss out of reports that every offensive player sucked through the first three days of camp. And that's what we have been used to the past 4 years.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,489

Post#19 » by j4remi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:41 pm

1. It's really bad and it's not even fair to the QB's that they're stuck with such a botched receiving corps.

2. Very big question mark but with surprising upside. This is the position that could sneak up on everyone.

3. I think Sanchez will get the start mainly to protect Smith from that awful WR corps. I think, depending on Sanchez performances, we could see Smith get the starts after the midway point of the season. Either way, I don't think either QB can turn this team around and both would need more help. If the RB's surprise though, these guys won't have to play such pivotal roles and will be more comfortable...if they're left to win games, one can't and the other isn't ready to yet.

4. Cro was EXCELLENT as the 1 CB last year. He deserves more credit than you're giving. Wilson held his own as the 2 and will slide back to a more comfortable role as the nickel back where he's really effective. Milner's health is gonna be the crucial part of this.

5. Cumberland was solid last year. Not great, but he proved that he can start and not be a net negative. Winslow needs to get through preseason before I trust him and that Aussie is apparently making huge strides this offseason. I don't expect the TE to be a glaring weakness, but I also don't have high hopes.

6. What O-Line issues? The O-Line put up good/great numbers last season. The only issue was depth but they clearly addressed that in this draft and free agency.

7. D-Line is gonna be a strength for this team. They'll have a health nose tackle for a change, and Ellis has huge upside. They've got enough edge rushing depth to push their leading sack man into an OLB spot(Coples), which is a boom or bust move but could solve a lot of our fears. Until Coples shows he can be as good at OLB as he was at DE, the LB situation isn't great but the 3 up front will be a handful. Wilkerson is gonna be a pro-bowler this season.

The interesting thing is that if the Jets defense reaches its potential then their record is gonna be better than anyone would think. They could very well find themselves in a chase for the last couple of playoff spots. The thing is, the defense has to be elite and that's a tall order when you're dealing with a TO prone QB and question marks at the skill positions. I think 5-11 is a good call, but I'm going 7-9 because the Jets always manage to do just enough not to get the draft position they would need for a big splash :-?
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by moocow007 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:02 pm

j4remi wrote:

1. It's really bad and it's not even fair to the QB's that they're stuck with such a botched receiving corps.

Yeah, not a good mix between poopee-ish QB and poopee-ish group of receivers.

2. Very big question mark but with surprising upside. This is the position that could sneak up on everyone.

A LOT of pressure will be put on Chris Ivory to be the feature back. He's got a good load of talent (majority of Saints fans though he was their most talented RB in the RB by committee rotation) but staying healthy is going to be a biggy for him. Mike Goodson, currently their no.2 back, was arrested for weapons and drug charges and it's possible that he won't ever play for the Jets. Joe McKnight, their no.3 back, failed a physical (though it was for too little body fat and not too much body fat, which is better at least).

3. I think Sanchez will get the start mainly to protect Smith from that awful WR corps. I think, depending on Sanchez performances, we could see Smith get the starts after the midway point of the season. Either way, I don't think either QB can turn this team around and both would need more help. If the RB's surprise though, these guys won't have to play such pivotal roles and will be more comfortable...if they're left to win games, one can't and the other isn't ready to yet.

Yep.

4. Cro was EXCELLENT as the 1 CB last year. He deserves more credit than you're giving. Wilson held his own as the 2 and will slide back to a more comfortable role as the nickel back where he's really effective. Milner's health is gonna be the crucial part of this.

I didn't necessarily mean Cromartie doesn't have no.1 CB skills. He does, he's had it with the Chargers and he has it still. It's more with the responsibility of having to replace Revis full time. Even though Revis missed a good deal of games last season (pushing Cromartie to no.1) this will be the first season where there is no knight in shining armor on the horizon (different when you knew Revis would be back at some point vs. stark reality that Revis is gone). Can he do it? Sure. But there's going to be a lot of pressure and expectations on him.

5. Cumberland was solid last year. Not great, but he proved that he can start and not be a net negative. Winslow needs to get through preseason before I trust him and that Aussie is apparently making huge strides this offseason. I don't expect the TE to be a glaring weakness, but I also don't have high hopes.

Sanchez is going to need a top group receiving TE (or a Wes Welker type WR that can catch short passes across the middle of the field and gain yards for himself) to be effective. An average or ok one isn't going to do since he doesn't have the arm strength and accuracy to consistently go long and given the pee poor state of the receiving corp.

But sure, Cumberland looks like he's at least confident...(via the New York Daily News): "With my size and his size, I would be more like (New England Patriots tight end Rob) Gronkowski, he (Winslow) would be more like (Aaron) Hernandez." <-- I'll assume Cumberland meant on the field and not off the field, at least for that last comparison lol.

6. What O-Line issues? The O-Line put up good/great numbers last season. The only issue was depth but they clearly addressed that in this draft and free agency.

Depth. I'm not sure that it was addressed fully.

7. D-Line is gonna be a strength for this team. They'll have a health nose tackle for a change, and Ellis has huge upside. They've got enough edge rushing depth to push their leading sack man into an OLB spot(Coples), which is a boom or bust move but could solve a lot of our fears. Until Coples shows he can be as good at OLB as he was at DE, the LB situation isn't great but the 3 up front will be a handful. Wilkerson is gonna be a pro-bowler this season.

Yeah...this is their one clear strength.

The interesting thing is that if the Jets defense reaches its potential then their record is gonna be better than anyone would think. They could very well find themselves in a chase for the last couple of playoff spots. The thing is, the defense has to be elite and that's a tall order when you're dealing with a TO prone QB and question marks at the skill positions. I think 5-11 is a good call, but I'm going 7-9 because the Jets always manage to do just enough not to get the draft position they would need for a big splash :-?

lol...yeah...exactly.

Return to New York Jets