81%

Total votes: 77

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,437

Re: OT: Buy or Sell: Jets will be 8-8 or better this season 

Post#21 » by j4remi » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:24 pm

moocow007 wrote:A LOT of pressure will be put on Chris Ivory to be the feature back. He's got a good load of talent (majority of Saints fans though he was their most talented RB in the RB by committee rotation) but staying healthy is going to be a biggy for him. Mike Goodson, currently their no.2 back, was arrested for weapons and drug charges and it's possible that he won't ever play for the Jets. Joe McKnight, their no.3 back, failed a physical (though it was for too little body fat and not too much body fat, which is better at least).

Just quoting the stuff that merits more discussion, so there are cuts where we just agree...You're forgetting Bilal Powell...he's good, not great but better than McKnight for sure. McKnight is trying to get into a role but he's special teams. Ivory and Goodson are both very great values, just one of them working out would be a huge gain for us. Goodson, whenever he's practiced, has looked every bit the gamechanging speedster.

I didn't necessarily mean Cromartie doesn't have no.1 CB skills. He does, he's had it with the Chargers and he has it still. It's more with the responsibility of having to replace Revis full time. Even though Revis missed a good deal of games last season (pushing Cromartie to no.1) this will be the first season where there is no knight in shining armor on the horizon (different when you knew Revis would be back at some point vs. stark reality that Revis is gone). Can he do it? Sure. But there's going to be a lot of pressure and expectations on him.

Revis was done for the season last year and Cro excelled. I don't think the pressure or expectations are a problem, he's been in this role with San Diego and last year. CB is going to be a strong point this season unless Dee's health fails him.

Sanchez is going to need a top group receiving TE (or a Wes Welker type WR that can catch short passes across the middle of the field and gain yards for himself) to be effective. An average or ok one isn't going to do since he doesn't have the arm strength and accuracy to consistently go long and given the pee poor state of the receiving corp.

But sure, Cumberland looks like he's at least confident...(via the New York Daily News): "With my size and his size, I would be more like (New England Patriots tight end Rob) Gronkowski, he (Winslow) would be more like (Aaron) Hernandez." <-- I'll assume Cumberland meant on the field and not off the field, at least for that last comparison lol.

Agreed here...I think we have a chance because of how good Kerley is in the slot though. Kerley's numbers were sneakily impressive and he'll be a Godsend in the new offense. Winslow could also become a big help but his health has me holding my breath.

Depth. I'm not sure that it was addressed fully.

Well they signed a vet OT, a vet OG, drafted one of each and kept pretty much their entire O-Line from last season. They're essentially two deep at every spot with a starting core that was one of the better O-Lines league wide. Can't really ask for much more.

The interesting thing is that if the Jets defense reaches its potential then their record is gonna be better than anyone would think. They could very well find themselves in a chase for the last couple of playoff spots. The thing is, the defense has to be elite and that's a tall order when you're dealing with a TO prone QB and question marks at the skill positions. I think 5-11 is a good call, but I'm going 7-9 because the Jets always manage to do just enough not to get the draft position they would need for a big splash :-?

lol...yeah...exactly.[/quote]

Even with my slightly more optimistic view of the team, I think we can both agree that the Jets are a massive long shot to make the postseason...however, I figure to make a killing betting them in the early portion of the season before the oddsmakers realize that their defense will keep them inside of spreads for the most part...so I'll take it.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
DLTGWH
Sixth Man
And1: 670

Post#22 » by DLTGWH » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:28 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8H2FIf1oH4[/youtube]

6-10 if things break right.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#23 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:37 pm

4-12 or 3-13...Jets have a lot of work ahead. Wonder how the running game will perform
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,022

Post#24 » by moocow007 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:50 pm

The competitor in me says to try to win every game all out. The realist and dreamer both in me says TANK!

They need a franchise level talent, a game changer type. There's the potential for a few of them in the next draft. They need to land one of them. Even if Geno Smith shows enough promise for them to have their QB of the future, how nice would it be to have Jadeveon Clowney (who many believe to be a future stud/star defensive DE in the NFL) line up on the opposite side of Quintin Coples and both of them sandwiching Wlikerson and Richardson?

Boik14
Pro Prospect
And1: 132

Post#25 » by Boik14 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:02 pm

From a non-Jets fan perspective (Im a Miami fan)...

Im selling on 8-8 but I also dont think the Jets are as bad as the media thinks the Jets will be or wants them to be. The things Im reading are EXACTLY what they wrote about my Dolphins last year; they finished 7-9. They think the Jets will be a bottom 3 team in contention for Bridgewater and Clowney; they wont be. Frankly on the strength of your D alone you should get at least 4 wins and I will say you'll find 1-2 others.

I watched the draft unfold and things leading up to the draft...I was never sold on Geno Smith. Thats 2 qb's you have I dont think can do the job in the NFL and carry a franchise. I thought you should have taken Nassib. We'll see how that unfolds.

Additionally what would really worry me if I were a Jet fan is having a young QB and a struggling QB and no proven reliable TE option. Winslow has lost a lot and hes no sure bet to be healthy. Far from it actually. I know Dustin Keller isnt great but hes still much better then Winslow at this stage of Winslows career. Also, how much will poor QB play hamper the development of Stephen Hill and Jeremy Kerley? Hill should be a bust out candidate but Im not sure that can happen with those QB's. He played the same flanker position as Megatron and Demaryious Thomas at Georgia Tech and he should be a similar player to Thomas at this stage. Frankly I was jealous when he landed on the Jets last year.

The OL is solid at LT and C but they took a hit when they lost Brandon Moore (unless Moore should resign). He graded out as the 4th best RG according to Pro Football Focus and a very underrated player. Not really sold that guards and right tackle can be anything more then average but if they can be average then the OL could be ok. Losing Shonn Green isnt too bad. RB by Committee can work. Ivory and Goodson are players who have been itching for a shot to be featured guys and both have talent even if Goodson has his head up his behind off the field.

Frankly Im happy you wont be bad enough to get Clowney. As a Carolina alumni I dont want to root against him his whole career. And while the Jets dont need him putting him next to Wilkerson and Coples would be awesome. Having watched the draft for 25 years Id venture to say that hes the best DE prospect Ive seen......ever. Overall though the front 7 of the Jets is just fine. I have concerns at safety but the CB's should be good as well. I could see Rex playing more 46 with this defense just like his dad though that would dictate a lot of cover 0, cover 1 and cover 3 which I dont think is the Jets strength.

Final guess Id say 6-10. Just beat New England at least once.
BAT 13 Picks - Lakers picks remaining: 323, 338

PG: Brandon Jennings/Tyus Jones
SG: Lance Stephenson/Evan Fournier
SF: Rudy Gay/Perry Jones
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Julius Randle/Kris Humphries
C: Chris Bosh/Josh McRoberts
ag3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,397

Post#26 » by ag3 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:03 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:4-12 or 3-13...Jets have a lot of work ahead. Wonder how the running game will perform

Jets were 6-10 last year and Sanchez had one of the worst seasons as a QB in NFL history. HISTORY.
The Jets defense is improved this year and Rex Ryan will call the plays again like in 2009 and 2010. I project the Jets defense to be in the top 5, and possibly top 3.

I have hope the Geno Smith takes over and if he does, no way can he be worse then Sanchez last year.
Even Sanchez cant be worse since the Jets now have a LEGIT offensive coordinator running the offense.

I cant see them being worse then last years 6-10 and they have a possible ceiling of 9 or 10 wins, if Geno Smith proves to be a starting caliber QB.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,022

Post#27 » by moocow007 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:05 pm

Boik14 wrote:From a non-Jets fan perspective (Im a Miami fan)...

Im selling on 8-8 but I also dont think the Jets are as bad as the media thinks the Jets will be or wants them to be. The things Im reading are EXACTLY what they wrote about my Dolphins last year; they finished 7-9. They think the Jets will be a bottom 3 team in contention for Bridgewater and Clowney; they wont be. Frankly on the strength of your D alone you should get at least 4 wins and I will say you'll find 1-2 others.

I watched the draft unfold and things leading up to the draft...I was never sold on Geno Smith. Thats 2 qb's you have I dont think can do the job in the NFL and carry a franchise. I thought you should have taken Nassib. We'll see how that unfolds.

Additionally what would really worry me if I were a Jet fan is having a young QB and a struggling QB and no proven reliable TE option. Winslow has lost a lot and hes no sure bet to be healthy. Far from it actually. I know Dustin Keller isnt great but hes still much better then Winslow at this stage of Winslows career. Also, how much will poor QB play hamper the development of Stephen Hill and Jeremy Kerley? Hill should be a bust out candidate but Im not sure that can happen with those QB's. He played the same flanker position as Megatron and Demaryious Thomas at Georgia Tech and he should be a similar player to Thomas at this stage. Frankly I was jealous when he landed on the Jets last year.

The OL is solid at LT and C but they took a hit when they lost Brandon Moore (unless Moore should resign). He graded out as the 4th best RG according to Pro Football Focus and a very underrated player. Not really sold that guards and right tackle can be anything more then average but if they can be average then the OL could be ok. Losing Shonn Green isnt too bad. RB by Committee can work. Ivory and Goodson are players who have been itching for a shot to be featured guys and both have talent even if Goodson has his head up his behind off the field.

Frankly Im happy you wont be bad enough to get Clowney. As a Carolina alumni I dont want to root against him his whole career. And while the Jets dont need him putting him next to Wilkerson and Coples would be awesome. Having watched the draft for 25 years Id venture to say that hes the best DE prospect Ive seen......ever. Overall though the front 7 of the Jets is just fine. I have concerns at safety but the CB's should be good as well. I could see Rex playing more 46 with this defense just like his dad though that would dictate a lot of cover 0, cover 1 and cover 3 which I dont think is the Jets strength.

How about we beat New England twice and go 2-14 so we can draft Clowney? Would you go for that? :D
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127
Starter
And1: 646

Post#28 » by KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:06 pm

The run game improving and the o line improving will be huge. I like bringing back Braylon he won't be as good as he was but he's an improvement. Hill showed signs last year but all people will remember is his drop against the Pats. Kerley provided he's a legit WR last year. If you break down the Jets last year it really was Sanchez that hijacked the season. Losing Revis didn't destroy the D. We actually ranked 8th overall. And Coples and Mo Wilk showed vast improvement down the stretch. The biggest thing this year is our RB's whether its Sanchez or Smith we actually have backs who can catch out of the backfield. So many times Sanchez threw to people who were double or triple covered if he had a back who could catch or had football awareness he would have been much better off. I hate losing Keller he was Sanchez's safety blanket. Who knows what Winslow Jr has left. But TE's you can find.

The biggest difference this year and why they will finish better than last year is...Marty ball. This guy knows offense he's proven and he's smart. He actually has a plan unlike Tony Sparano who should no ability to gameplan.

That said the Dolphins aren't that good the QB is unproven they lost Bush but they got a deep threat in Mike Wallace.

The Bills are rebuilding and have little weapons

The Patriots are the most vulnerable they've been in about 10 years.

Jets should finish 8-8 middle of their schedule is brutal with the Saints Pats Steelers Falcons and Ravens.
ag3
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by ag3 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:06 pm

The media in NYC is overhyping how bad the Jets will be and so is the ESPN crew.
Vegas has the Jets somewhere in the 6-7 game range.

I trust Vegas much more then the ESPN clowns.
Boik14
Pro Prospect
And1: 132

Post#30 » by Boik14 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:07 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Boik14 wrote:From a non-Jets fan perspective (Im a Miami fan)...

How about we beat New England twice and go 2-14 so we can draft Clowney? Would you go for that? :D

To be honest Id rather you beat them once and miss out on Clowney. I think he will be THAT good. Plus I want my team to be good enough to stand on their own and take the division from NE.
BAT 13 Picks - Lakers picks remaining: 323, 338

PG: Brandon Jennings/Tyus Jones
SG: Lance Stephenson/Evan Fournier
SF: Rudy Gay/Perry Jones
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Julius Randle/Kris Humphries
C: Chris Bosh/Josh McRoberts
ag3
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by ag3 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:07 pm

KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 wrote:The run game improving and the o line improving will be huge. I like bringing back Braylon he won't be as good as he was but he's an improvement. Hill showed signs last year but all people will remember is his drop against the Pats. Kerley provided he's a legit WR last year. If you break down the Jets last year it really was Sanchez that hijacked the season. Losing Revis didn't destroy the D. We actually ranked 8th overall. And Coples and Mo Wilk showed vast improvement down the stretch. The biggest thing this year is our RB's whether its Sanchez or Smith we actually have backs who can catch out of the backfield. So many times Sanchez threw to people who were double or triple covered if he had a back who could catch or had football awareness he would have been much better off. I hate losing Keller he was Sanchez's safety blanket. Who knows what Winslow Jr has left. But TE's you can find.

The biggest difference this year and why they will finish better than last year is...Marty ball. This guy knows offense he's proven and he's smart. He actually has a plan unlike Tony Sparano who should no ability to gameplan.

That said the Dolphins aren't that good the QB is unproven they lost Bush but they got a deep threat in Mike Wallace.

The Bills are rebuilding and have little weapons

The Patriots are the most vulnerable they've been in about 10 years.

Jets should finish 8-8 middle of their schedule is brutal with the Saints Pats Steelers Falcons and Ravens.

Wilkerson and Coples are great young talents and now you add in Sheldon Richardson to that bunch. Richardson looks like a beast and a perfect fit to Rex Ryan's schemes.
I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#32 » by I_Love_NYK » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:13 pm

The end of Sanchez should of happened the moment of the "Butt Fumble".

You don't slide for a loss. throw it away if you have to.

Unknown receivers, Stephen Hill is still raw, (Reuben Randle is ahead of him now.) Braylon Edwards don't have it anymore. They may have something in Kellen Winslow, he might be motivated for a new contract. The defense will be able to get stops but how will they be able to score the ball?
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#33 » by poeman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:15 pm

I am a die hard Jets fan...More then the Knicks...Sell, this team is just not good enough on offense. 6-10 or less
ag3
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by ag3 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:19 pm

I_Love_NYK wrote:The end of Sanchez should of happened the moment of the "Butt Fumble".

You don't slide for a loss. throw it away if you have to.

Unknown receivers, Stephen Hill is still raw, (Reuben Randle is ahead of him now.) Braylon Edwards don't have it anymore. They may have something in Kellen Winslow, he might be motivated for a new contract. The defense will be able to get stops but how will they be able to score the ball?

It all comes down to QB. Kearley, Edwards and Hill are fine, as long as the QB and running game are good.
It all comes down to Geno Smith and I have a good feeling that this kid is legit.

He looks great in training camp so far. He has a lively ball, quick release and is extremely confident (a must for NFL QBs).
All of the veterans on the team are very impressed with Geno Smith so far. The video of him so far looks great. You can see the difference between him and Mr. buttfumble already. A much better arm and better foot work already.
goldenbrandon
Senior
And1: 106

Post#35 » by goldenbrandon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:26 pm

Buy 10-6

I got a gut feeling jets will be over looked this season. No one will take us serious and have a chance to surprise. Defense will be really good and on offense we will run the ball. Heavy run game limit turnover and we can win ten games
KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127
Starter
And1: 646

Post#36 » by KnIcKsYaNkSmEtS1127 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:36 pm

goldenbrandon wrote:Buy 10-6

I got a gut feeling jets will be over looked this season. No one will take us serious and have a chance to surprise. Defense will be really good and on offense we will run the ball. Heavy run game limit turnover and we can win ten games

I think the thing that will catch fans eyes is when the Jets beat the Pats week 2. The Pats killed us for the past 2 years by establishing Gronk and Hernandez early and then feeding Welker and Woodhead. None of those options are available. They exposed the fact that we had no one who could match up with Gronk or Hernandez. Gronk will most likely be out Welker and Woodhead are gone and Hernandez is in prison. I say Jets shock everyone with an 2-0 start.
SaveUsKP6
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#37 » by SaveUsKP6 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:46 pm

Honestly, if Geno connects with Hill on a deep ball for a TD over Revis in week 1, the rest of the season doesn't matter :lol:
poeman
General Manager
And1: 7,059

Post#38 » by poeman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:11 pm

ShumpShump wrote:Honestly, if Geno connects with Hill on a deep ball for a TD over Revis in week 1, the rest of the season doesn't matter :lol:

You forget and if Milliner takes a INT to the house too.

That would be complete vindication.

Btw, Millner will make a total of $12M for 4 years, Revis will make $16M this upcoming season. Man
SaveUsKP6
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#39 » by SaveUsKP6 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:23 pm

poeman wrote:
ShumpShump wrote:Honestly, if Geno connects with Hill on a deep ball for a TD over Revis in week 1, the rest of the season doesn't matter :lol:

You forget and if Milliner takes a INT to the house too.

That would be complete vindication.

Btw, Millner will make a total of $12M for 4 years, Revis will make $16M this upcoming season. Man

I am in the camp of "thank god we got ourselves out of the Revis mess". There is no way in hell I would put that kind of money into a cornerback, coming off ACL surgery, when you're trying to rebuild. Especially when you already have a guy in Cro who can step up and be your #1 guy. You get better with picks and developing your youth, not tying up most of your salary cap in one guy who doesn't play an offensive skill position.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#40 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:40 pm

I see the Jets as a 5-6 win team, 7 or 8 wins being absolutely best case type of scenario and they would need either Geno to play and play a lot and have a Cam Newton or Russel Wilson type of rookie season or Sanchez to have a career season.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,

Return to New York Jets