ImageImageImageImageImage

Offseason 2015 (Latest: Geno Smith Out 6-10 Weeks)

Moderator: Rich Rane

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Re: Offseason 2015 (Latest: Mike Maccagnan as GM, Todd Bowles as HC) 

Post#61 » by j4remi » Thu Feb 5, 2015 8:12 pm

McShay's latest mock has Mariotta to the Jets...I feel like if he or Winston are there, it'd be way too hard to pass up. I'm not sold on either of 'em but it makes sense with the limited FA options and the upside.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#62 » by Born_Ready » Fri Feb 6, 2015 1:56 pm

j4remi wrote:McShay's latest mock has Mariotta to the Jets...I feel like if he or Winston are there, it'd be way too hard to pass up. I'm not sold on either of 'em but it makes sense with the limited FA options and the upside.

Would that mean the Jets are completely over the Geno Smith era? Do you expect Winston or Mariotta to be better?

With Winston being a knucklehead and all I still think he's the better QB. I don't see him dropping to the Jets. I also don't see him being a fit for NYC lifestyle. That could be a disaster waiting to happen. Also, I don't think he would be a number 1 overall selection if the QB class was wasn't so weak this year. He's kind of meh.... in my opinion. But, is the better QB of the two.

Personally, I'd like to see the Jets draft Randy Gregory. I think he's they type of player that can make Wilkerson and Richardson elevate that defensive line play even more-- while forcing opposing offenses to be concerned with Gregory coming from the edge.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#63 » by j4remi » Fri Feb 6, 2015 2:04 pm

beast m0de wrote:
j4remi wrote:McShay's latest mock has Mariotta to the Jets...I feel like if he or Winston are there, it'd be way too hard to pass up. I'm not sold on either of 'em but it makes sense with the limited FA options and the upside.

Would that mean the Jets are completely over the Geno Smith era? Do you expect Winston or Mariotta to be better?

With Winston being a knucklehead and all I still think he's the better QB. I don't see him dropping to the Jets. I also don't see him being a fit for NYC lifestyle. That could be a disaster waiting to happen. Also, I don't think he would be a number 1 overall selection if the QB class was wasn't so weak this year. He's kind of meh.... in my opinion. But, is the better QB of the two.

Personally, I'd like to see the Jets draft Randy Gregory. I think he's they type of player that can make Wilkerson and Richardson elevate that defensive line play even more-- while forcing opposing offenses to be concerned with Gregory coming from the edge.

Most mock drafts I've seen have Gregory gone before we have a chance, plus it's not really logical as you want the best guy possible for your team but I'm just struggling with the concept of using another top pick on D-line (or defense at all tbh) when our needs at skill positions still exist. Looking at where our pick falls, the best option is likely to be a defensive guy though.

As far as Smith era over, I'm not totally sure. If we drafted Mariotta, I think Geno might have another year to work because Mariotta has a transition to make. Is he better than Winston? I lean toward Winston but I think character issues are scary with a QB especially in NY (like you said) so even if Winston is better for other teams I'd take Mariotta. I do think Mariotta has serious upside, but will he get there...Idk about all that.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#64 » by Born_Ready » Fri Feb 6, 2015 6:05 pm

j4remi wrote:
beast m0de wrote:

Most mock drafts I've seen have Gregory gone before we have a chance, plus it's not really logical as you want the best guy possible for your team but I'm just struggling with the concept of using another top pick on D-line (or defense at all tbh) when our needs at skill positions still exist. Looking at where our pick falls, the best option is likely to be a defensive guy though.

As far as Smith era over, I'm not totally sure. If we drafted Mariotta, I think Geno might have another year to work because Mariotta has a transition to make. Is he better than Winston? I lean toward Winston but I think character issues are scary with a QB especially in NY (like you said) so even if Winston is better for other teams I'd take Mariotta. I do think Mariotta has serious upside, but will he get there...Idk about all that.

I can imagine the hesitancy by fans selecting a defensive player early. I just don't know if a QB would be the BPA when it's time for the Jets to select either. I think there is a good chance Randy Gregory could be there. I think it could unfold something like this:

TB- Winston
TN- Williams or Mariota
Jax- Beasley, Leonard Williams, or Collins
Oak- Cooper
Wash- Collins
NYJ- Gregory or Mariota (I would love Gregory or Trae Waynes here). I realize it may be too early for Waynes, but I like his upside.
Chi- Shelton
ATL- Beasley
NYG Ray
STL- Mariota
Min- Parker ( I would rather have Kevin White here if they go WR or Shaq Thompson if they go LB).

You're right regarding the deficiency at the skill position. However, with a healthy Decker and Percy Harvin returning, the team may be thinking they aren't too limited at WR with 2 above average players currently on the roster. How dire is the need for RB or TE?

Either way it's definitely a entertaining topic and fun to speculate. Let's just hope the new regime can build a new foundation and begin heading in the right direction starting with free agency and via the draft.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#65 » by j4remi » Fri Feb 6, 2015 8:52 pm

beast m0de wrote:
I can imagine the hesitancy by fans selecting a defensive player early. I just don't know if a QB would be the BPA when it's time for the Jets to select either. I think there is a good chance Randy Gregory could be there. I think it could unfold something like this:

TB- Winston
TN- Williams or Mariota
Jax- Beasley, Leonard Williams, or Collins
Oak- Cooper
Wash- Collins
NYJ- Gregory or Mariota (I would love Gregory or Trae Waynes here). I realize it may be too early for Waynes, but I like his upside.
Chi- Shelton
ATL- Beasley
NYG Ray
STL- Mariota
Min- Parker ( I would rather have Kevin White here if they go WR or Shaq Thompson if they go LB).

You're right regarding the deficiency at the skill position. However, with a healthy Decker and Percy Harvin returning, the team may be thinking they aren't too limited at WR with 2 above average players currently on the roster. How dire is the need for RB or TE?

Either way it's definitely a entertaining topic and fun to speculate. Let's just hope the new regime can build a new foundation and begin heading in the right direction starting with free agency and via the draft.

It's possible for sure and a LOT can change in the time between now and the draft, but I think the move for QB is just too much to pass on for the Jets. That said, I wouldn't necessarily be mad at Gregory. For D-line, I just saw a second round projection of Odighizuwa to the Jets, which is intriguing at the very least.

Harvin, I think will get cut unless he restructures (and we may not even try since keeping him costs us a 4th round pick instead of a 6th). We also need a big target imo, which is the one thing Harvin doesn't give you. So I'm expecting a need there (and Decker isn't a 1 imo, so we need a big number one guy). RB is a need, we've got Ivory who is a workhorse but I think Powell is too similar to be the back-up and CJ just wasn't the answer. At TE we have a good prospect in Jace Amaro, but I'd like a better blocking TE to go with him. We also could use some replacements for our O-line (specifically Giacomini and Colon). We pretty much just have a TON of needs on the offensive side of the ball and that's not to mention needs at LB, CB and S.

It's a LOT of fun to speculate just where we'll pick and seeing how many positions we need, there's a LOT of ways to make all of this fall into place. Personally, I'm just wishing Dallas goes through with choosing just one of Murray and Bryant and then the Jets make a big play for either one of those guys with our significant cap space. That'd make it easier to go BPA with our top pick even if it's on the defensive side.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#66 » by j4remi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:21 pm

http://football.realgm.com/wiretap/3443 ... us-Mariota

I would look long and hard at a deal with the Browns if that option made itself available, a lot of holes to be filled and Mariota isn't a sure thing.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#67 » by Grover » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:57 pm

I was reading the Redskin board and seeing the same thing. I'm surprised there isn't more talk of free agency with $40M+ to spend as it will likely have an impact on which direction the Jets head in the draft. I'm also surprised to see Babin and Pace retained. I also assume Harvin will be waived as a fourth rounder has more value when compared to other receivers who are or will become available.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#68 » by j4remi » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:29 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.2117943

If we could get that package...I'd be all over it.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#69 » by Grover » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:08 pm

I'd jump at that deal but fear the Jets may be the team trading picks to move up to select Mariota. For now I suspect they will allow and encourage the media to believe they are most focused on an edge rusher and hope Mariota drops to them as a keeper or a trade chip. I'm getting anxious for free agency to begin as I think Maccagnan may preemptively sign Wilkerson and some of their own free agents before going hard after two corners and a safety.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#70 » by j4remi » Thu Mar 5, 2015 3:22 pm

http://nyj.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Je ... d-35997975

I think this is great news, I hope Mariota falls.

Dyer cites a source as saying it is "highly unlikely" the Jets would draft Mariota.

“Philadelphia would make that move and pay that price. We're talking multiple picks and a player,” Dyer quotes the source as saying. “The Jets would be open to moving the pick and the Eagles have internally prepared to move up in the draft. There are contingencies in place and they know that Marcus is that perfect fit.”
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Post#71 » by Shemy » Fri Mar 6, 2015 2:14 am

Team has 55mil in cap space, could fill our issues with RB to split with ivory(spiller) OL help, CB (CRO) while we address others in the draft

Concerning Mariota if he falls you get him, ony way I'm passing is if St. Louis or Philly with some crazy ass trade

Haven't been this excited about the jets in a while I'm sure this enthusiasm will go away come September
"They scared now"
Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Post#72 » by Shemy » Fri Mar 6, 2015 4:17 pm

First major move is being made with a trade for brandon marshall

Trade the 4th we were gonna use for harvin had we kept him but that's it anything more is dumb

So/so on the trade he's what I wanted when Denver was trading him, and two years later when Miami put him on the block :lol: he's a welcome addition though
"They scared now"
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#73 » by zilby » Fri Mar 6, 2015 4:29 pm

Brandon Marshall eh? My guess is that indicates Maccagnan wants to go all in next year. That would mean we either have Mariota or Foles starting at QB. If we get a new QB this is completely justified, but if it's another rebuilding season I question it. Either way, he's an impact receiver we get on a salary dump, I really can't complain too much. He'll do wonders.

EDIT: Aaron Leming classifies what we're giving up as a 'late-round' pick. So my guess is we keep Harvin and trade the 6th rounder or we're giving up the 5th rounder. That's an excellent pickup on the cheap considering how much free cap space we have.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#74 » by j4remi » Fri Mar 6, 2015 4:36 pm

zilby wrote:Brandon Marshall eh? My guess is that indicates Maccagnan wants to go all in next year. That would mean we either have Mariota or Foles starting at QB. If we get a new QB this is completely justified, but if it's another rebuilding season I question it. Either way, he's an impact receiver we get on a salary dump, I really can't complain too much. He'll do wonders.

So Harvin is probably out. If the Philly deal is true the original rumor had been this year's 1st and second, next year's 1st and second as well as Foles...so you'd have Nick Foles (ehhhh...he's better than what we've had) passing to Marshall, Decker and Kerley (that's nice) with Amaro hopefully taking the next step at TE as well. Ivory and Spiller would be nice as hell to have in that backfield too. In the draft, hopefully they can add some LB depth and improve the O-line.

I heard Kay talking about Suh to the Jets but it didn't add up to me with Wilkerson and Richardson in place. The Revis rumors kinda add up though if they're going win now.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Re: Offseason 2015 (Latest: Brandon Marshall for 'late-round' pick) 

Post#75 » by Yankeeknickfan » Fri Mar 6, 2015 4:37 pm

If we don't land Mariota than maybe we should trade for Bradford. If healthy he's better than any other QB on the market.
Imageceltics
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM

Post#76 » by Yankeeknickfan » Fri Mar 6, 2015 4:39 pm

j4remi wrote:
zilby wrote:Brandon Marshall eh? My guess is that indicates Maccagnan wants to go all in next year. That would mean we either have Mariota or Foles starting at QB. If we get a new QB this is completely justified, but if it's another rebuilding season I question it. Either way, he's an impact receiver we get on a salary dump, I really can't complain too much. He'll do wonders.

So Harvin is probably out. If the Philly deal is true the original rumor had been this year's 1st and second, next year's 1st and second as well as Foles...so you'd have Nick Foles (ehhhh...he's better than what we've had) passing to Marshall, Decker and Kerley (that's nice) with Amaro hopefully taking the next step at TE as well. Ivory and Spiller would be nice as hell to have in that backfield too. In the draft, hopefully they can add some LB depth and improve the O-line.

I heard Kay talking about Suh to the Jets but it didn't add up to me with Wilkerson and Richardson in place. The Revis rumors kinda add up though if they're going win now.

If this happens, than we could at least be playing meaningful games in December.
Imageceltics
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM

Post#77 » by Yankeeknickfan » Fri Mar 6, 2015 4:41 pm

@AdamSchefter: Bears have agreed to trade WR Brandon Marshall to the Jets pending a physical, per league source.
Imageceltics
JBreezeNY
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#78 » by JBreezeNY » Fri Mar 6, 2015 4:51 pm

I wonder if we still draft Cooper or White, or is that being too greedy?

I really don't care for Mariota.......at all.
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM

Post#79 » by Yankeeknickfan » Fri Mar 6, 2015 4:54 pm

JBreezeNY wrote:I wonder if we still draft Cooper or White, or is that being too greedy?

I really don't care for Mariota.......at all.

Greedy? Please we deserve to be greedy. We've suffered for too long
Imageceltics
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#80 » by j4remi » Fri Mar 6, 2015 5:03 pm

j4remi wrote:http://nyj.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Je ... d-35997975

I think this is great news, I hope Mariota falls.

Dyer cites a source as saying it is "highly unlikely" the Jets would draft Mariota.

“Philadelphia would make that move and pay that price. We're talking multiple picks and a player,” Dyer quotes the source as saying. “The Jets would be open to moving the pick and the Eagles have internally prepared to move up in the draft. There are contingencies in place and they know that Marcus is that perfect fit.”

Saw this yesterday and after the deal today, I really think it must be picks and Foles. It's gotta be.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Return to New York Jets