ImageImageImageImageImage

Jets 2017 Offseason & Draft Thread (Latest: Jets Trade Sheldon Richardson for Kearse + 2nd)

Moderator: Rich Rane

zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Jets 2017 Offseason & Draft Thread (Latest: Jets Trade Sheldon Richardson for Kearse + 2nd) 

Post#1 » by zilby » Mon Jan 2, 2017 6:23 am

Well, the miserable year is over. Time to do other stuff. You guys are probably cheering for the Knicks or something. Have fun with that.

Notable Jets Free Agents

Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB (signed to Buccaneers)
Geno Smith, QB (signed to Giants)
Kellen Davis, TE
Ben Ijalana, LT (re-signed by Jets)
Brian Winters, G (re-signed by Jets)
Antonio Allen, CB

Jets 2017 Draft

First Round; 6th pick; 6th overall: Jamal Adams, S, LSU
Second Round; 7th pick; 39th overall: Marcus Maye, S, Florida
Third Round; 15th pick; 79th overall: ArDarius Stewart, WR, Alabama
Fourth Round; 35th pick; 141st overall; Chad Hansen, WR, California
Fifth Round; 6th pick; 150th overall; Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson
Fifth Round; 38th pick; 181st overall; Dylan Donahue, LB, West Georgia
Sixth Round; 4th pick; 188th overall; Elijah McGuire, RB, Louisiana-Lafayette
Sixth Round; 13th pick; 197th overall; Jeremy Clark, CB, Michigan
Sixth Round; 20th pick; 204th overall; Derrick Jones, CB, Mississippi
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Re: Jets 2017 Offseason & Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by Grover » Tue Jan 3, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks for getting this going Zilby. A disappointing season, an old team and cap issues make for some interesting decisions to come.
Grover
Rookie

Post#3 » by Grover » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Well, Winters was the only free agent on the list Zilby provided that made some sense to resign as he's a gifted run blocker who's pass protection remains a work in progress. Guard appears to be one position of strength with Dozier a capable backup. I'm interested to see the changes in the draft boards post the combine but free agency and the potential trading of Decker, Marshall and Richardson will shape the needs. I'm surprised by how many draftniks have quarterbacks and Fournette going to the Jets at six. Lattimore seems to be the consensus safe corner but if Adams or ironically Allen slip to six and MacCagnan doesn't trade down, both would be excellent value. I love Adam's game despite occasional positioning issues. He's more of the strong safety type but his cover skills are also excellent. Pryor will stick around as he's on his rookie deal but I wouldn't mind building the backfield with solid hitters that put fear in to receivers who go over the middle. As usual and more realistic with a rebuild, trading down would be wise. My only question is how far? I'm thinking Cleveland at #12 with the first pick in the second round and a late pick returning would be about the floor though I'm generally more enamored with who drops in to the second and third rounds and the value to be found. As usual, I encourage all of you to read Jeff Risdon's articles and comments. He's a far better talent evaluator than the traffic on this site deserves.
zilby
RealGM

Post#4 » by zilby » Sat Mar 4, 2017 3:21 pm

Looks like we're gutting the team after all. Clady, Marshall, Revis all cut. Mac says every single draft pick is for sale.

May as well tank another year and get a real QB. Use a stopgap Petty or Hackenberg for the year, get assets and try again next offseason.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#5 » by Commodor » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:46 am

zilby wrote:Looks like we're gutting the team after all. Clady, Marshall, Revis all cut. Mac says every single draft pick is for sale.

May as well tank another year and get a real QB. Use a stopgap Petty or Hackenberg for the year, get assets and try again next offseason.

Hello from San Francisco! So judging from this thread it doesn't sound like my original idea is going to get a terribly warm reception, but for the sake of conversation I wanted to see your opinions.

So with the talk of increased Jet interest in Mike Trubitsky today, I cooked up a little trade between our two teams. The underlying assumption is that your organization wants Trubs so bad that you decide to hop in front of Chicago and Jax to ensure you get him. It doesn't really appear that way now, but for this let's assume.

The trade would go something like this.

#2 & #109 (4th round) for the #6 #70 (3rd round) and Sheldon Richardson

This way, the jets get their future QB while sacrificing few draft picks and a player you'd likely lose to free agency eventually. Also as the jets have another 3rd but no 4th, this gives them a full draft class while moving up. The niners use their massive cap space to resign Richardson and improve the many holes on their roster with the picks.

Again, this relies on the idea that A. The jets think someone else will jump on Trubs before they draft. And B. Myles Garrett doesn't fall to the #2 (you never know with the browns). If I had to guess I doubt the jets have enough interest to make the move, but I also didn't see the Eagles moving up for Wentz last year!
Grover
Rookie

Post#6 » by Grover » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:06 pm

ivang101 wrote:
zilby wrote:Looks like we're gutting the team after all. Clady, Marshall, Revis all cut. Mac says every single draft pick is for sale.

Hello from San Francisco! So judging from this thread it doesn't sound like my original idea is going to get a terribly warm reception, but for the sake of conversation I wanted to see your opinions.

So with the talk of increased Jet interest in Mike Trubitsky today, I cooked up a little trade between our two teams. The underlying assumption is that your organization wants Trubs so bad that you decide to hop in front of Chicago and Jax to ensure you get him. It doesn't really appear that way now, but for this let's assume.

The trade would go something like this.

#2 & #109 (4th round) for the #6 #70 (3rd round) and Sheldon Richardson

This way, the jets get their future QB while sacrificing few draft picks and a player you'd likely lose to free agency eventually. Also as the jets have another 3rd but no 4th, this gives them a full draft class while moving up. The niners use their massive cap space to resign Richardson and improve the many holes on their roster with the picks.

Again, this relies on the idea that A. The jets think someone else will jump on Trubs before they draft. And B. Myles Garrett doesn't fall to the #2 (you never know with the browns). If I had to guess I doubt the jets have enough interest to make the move, but I also didn't see the Eagles moving up for Wentz last year!

The trade chart value of your offer is in the Jet's favor if Richardson has been correctly assumed to be worth a third round pick by the pundits. I have my doubts. I just don't believe the Jets should be considering trading up with so many holes and so far away from being a competitive team despite the organization refraining from using the word rebuild. I don't have a lot of faith in MacCagnan to draft quarterbacks after reaching at least a couple of rounds for Hackenberg. As I expect the Jets to lose on par with the worst teams for the upcoming season, I would rather see him address the defensive backfield with multiple picks in a deep cornerback draft while leaking interest in all four quarterbacks who have first round potential. I'm partial to Adams, Allen, Hooker, Lattimore and OJ Howard over Fournette and Solomon but six is a great spot for talent to fall this year if they aren't able to trade down and add picks which should be the goal of a lousy team which is what you are proposing from your own team. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if MacCagnan accepted the deal and drafted Trubisky, Watson or Fournette at two as he's the same idiot who gave five year underachiever Ijalana a guaranteed contract, essentially guaranteed Beachum, one of the worst left tackles in the game, two years at $8M per and placed second round tenders on special teamers while having cap issues. My prediction is Bowles and MacCagnan are canned after the season if not before and resident dinosaur Charlie Casserly is not hired to consult for their replacements.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,493

Re: Jets 2017 Offseason & Draft Thread (latest: Jets May Want Jay Cutler?) 

Post#7 » by j4remi » Wed May 3, 2017 3:31 pm

Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,493

Re: Jets 2017 Offseason & Draft Thread (latest: Jets Draft Happens, Jamal Adams at #6) 

Post#8 » by j4remi » Thu Jun 1, 2017 2:24 pm

Jets have dealt Calvin Pryor to the Browns for get this...Demario Davis back. His contract isn't guaranteed so they'll waive him and save 1.6 million in cap space they'd have conceded waiving Pryor.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,790

Re: Jets 2017 Offseason & Draft Thread (latest: Pryor Traded, Harris Cut, Decker Will Be Cut/Traded) 

Post#10 » by Rich Rane » Tue Jun 6, 2017 10:09 pm

I said I'd be surprised if we won three games. Now, we have a shot at going 0-16. They're really in on Darnold.
zilby
RealGM

Re: Jets 2017 Offseason & Draft Thread (Latest: Jets Trade Sheldon Richardson for Kearse + 2nd) 

Post#11 » by zilby » Fri Sep 1, 2017 7:34 pm

Read on Twitter
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,790

Re: Jets 2017 Offseason & Draft Thread (Latest: Jets Trade Sheldon Richardson for Kearse + 2nd) 

Post#12 » by Rich Rane » Fri Sep 1, 2017 7:39 pm

Jets REALLY want Darnold.

Return to New York Jets