Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,491

Week 3 GT Jets @ Pats | Sunday, Sept 22nd @ 1pm 

Post#1 » by Fat Kat » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:37 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Re: Week 3 GT Jets @ Pats | Sunday, Sept 22nd @ 1pm 

Post#2 » by zilby » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:57 pm

At this point the season is already lost and an unmitigated disaster and we need to tank

But for the love of god if we are winning any game this year it better be against the goddamn dirty Patriots with the boy Luke at the helm

FALK THE PATS!!!!
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,491

Post#3 » by Fat Kat » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:29 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,493

Post#4 » by j4remi » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:50 pm

This season is already brutal. I didn't expect the offense to look worse with what we added and a coach who is supposed to be good for QB's. But the playcalling is terrible, the O-line is as bad as expected only because most expected it to be terrible and even some of the more interesting pieces aren't getting much opportunity to show it (Ty Montgomery comes to mind). Add to that, we still have no pass rush; Leonard Williams is looking like an official bust and our CB's are back-up talent at best....this season is up in smoke three weeks in plus our most promising prospect has Mono.

SMH...and just to throw in a how did we get here, this amazing reddit breakdown of the Idzik and Mac era drafts is almost as painful to read as watching those drafts unfold was painful for us. It's rare when I'm not hopeful after drafts but between those two GM's it was hard to find optimism even as the picks unfolded. Same with Gase. We've hit a point where I'm doubtful as soon as we hire somebody and quick to give up on them. I don't think Gase is the answer and continuity be damned, if the playcalling is a series of check downs all season than we need to move on and get someone in that can actually help Sam.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nyjets/comments/d5q06g/a_fun_semianalysis_of_our_last_drafts_or_how_i/?utm_content=body&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=4cb7838f326840aa8d90d6de40988f5b&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=d5q06g

Hello friends.

I'm none too happy about the Jets right now so I figured I would make myself more miserable and do a semi-in-depth analysis of our previous 7 drafts. Why 7? Because that's the Idzik-Maccagnan error, um, era.

Yes, the Tanny era ended pretty abruptly with some serious "fun" but that was 8 years ago and we likely could have undergone two full rebuilds in that time span. So we wont talk about those drafts. They're too long ago and, honestly, we moved on from Tanny specifically because he couldn't build a team after those back-to-back AFCCGs.

Here I'll be showing you all just how unbelievably pathetic the last seven drafts have been.

You aren't ready for this. Really.

Total number of picks-- 53

Yes, an entire roster worth of picks over the last 7 drafts, including big hauls of 12 picks in 2014 (shudders, more on that specific draft in a bit) and nine in 2017. We picked inside the top 50 just 12 times despite having a record of 36-60 (.375) in that span. That's not counting the famous 51st pick in the 2016 draft. So, despite having a record on par with teams picking in the very top of most rounds, we picked in the top 50 fewer than 2x a year while definitely not being a top 14 team most years. The 14th ranked team would normally pick 18th and 50th overall, btw. So a vast, vast, vaaaast majority of those 53 picks have been late round fliers at best. But that's beside the point, even with how poor our draft position was, most teams could find serious depth over 7 years and 53 picks, no? I mean, that's over seven picks per draft.

Number of Players Who Were Off The Team After Three Seasons Or Fewer-- 23/32 Eligible Players

Obviously this number cant be finalized for a while. Only players taken in the 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 NFL drafts could stay more than three years. Why three years? Well, every rookie gets a four year deal when drafted. So basically, if they didn't last more than three years, they didn't finish their first NFL deal. Which means they blow or were dealt. I am counting Peake and Lee in these numbers as they did not play for the Jets this season, which would have been their 4th. Lac, Shell, and Jenkins officially made the cut. The 2017 is the next draft eligible for the three year mark. So far, only Adams and Maye are on the team (lol). If both play with us next year, the tally for 2013-2017 will be 25/41.

Number of Jets picks since 2013 who didn't play a single snap for the Jets-- 9

Hahahhahaha, wow. So. This number includes Hack, Polite, and Blessuan (sorry, not a believer). But also has at least one player in every draft since 2013 except the 2017 and 2018 drafts. 2017 was close with Clark and Jones playing a combined 3 games for the Jets. Remember great picks like 2013 6th rounder William Campbell, 2015 5th rounder Jarvis Harrison, 2014 4th rounder Shaq Evans, 2014 5th rounder Jeremiah George..... 2014 6th rounder Brandon Dixon.... and 2014 7th rounder Tajh Boyd? Yeah. No one does.

Speaking of 2014, that special draft featured the Idzik 12. Despite some legitimate Hall of Famers and All Pros going picks 4-17 that year, namely Khalil Mack, Mike Evans, OBJ, Aaron Donald, Zack Martin; Idzik sat on 12 picks and waited for the Louisville Slugger, Calvin Pryor. All in all that 2014 draft would combine for 289 career games played (24 per player, or 1.5 seasons), 7 TDs, 161 receptions (1.7 TDs, 40 rec per WR,. It's literally 42 rec, 2 TDs total without Quincy), 3 interceptions, and 1 sack. Now those are career numbers. Not necessarily Jets careers. So why don't we look at Jets careers, shall we?

QBs Drafted-- 5

Sam, Hack, Geno, Petty, Tajh Boyd

Total Jets Stats--

54 G, 56.5% CMP, 10,355 yds (191.7/g), 50 TDs (<1/g, 2.9 TD%), 61 int (>1/g, 3.9 INT %)

Obviously this will change for the better with Sam but what an ugly group of QBs thus-far. 5 taken in 7 drafts and not much to show. In fact, the 3.9 INT% is tied with Tim Couch for 117th all time and the TD% is tied with David Carr for 188th all time. Wonderful. A more interesting thing is that Darnold and Geno are the only ones picked in the first two rounds.For a team that had been looking for a franchise guy since the 70s, we didn't seriously draft one until Darnold at 3. Thanks Mac. Also, thanks Mac.

RBs Drafted-- 3

McGuire, Cannon, and Tommy Bohannon

Total Jets Stats--

78 Games (26 per player), 23 REC, 223 yds (8.5 yds/g), 238 rushes (79 per player), 771 yds (257/player, 10.9 y/g), 9 total TDs

Honestly this one surprises me a bit. The Jets didn't really have a capable every down guy and, aside from Powell, they didn't have much consistency at the position. Even with RBs decreased value, it's surprising that we didn't at least try to support the offense with cheap later round options instead of constantly buying off the scrap heap. RBs also are taken for special teams help and 3rd down roles, neither of which we found in our seven drafts. Bohannon was a fullback in an era where the fullback is useless. McGuire had some fun moments but never did anything of note. Cannon has shown zero ability as a 3rd down back and returner. This is an area good teams find contributing special teams players and offensive playmakers.

WRs Drafted-- 7

Enunwa, Shaq Evans, Jalen Saunders, Devin Smith, Peake, Chad Hansen, Ardarius Stewart

For these stats, I won't include Enunwa. We know how he's been. He's been ok or bad, more bad than OK. Here's his career line first.

41 games, 119 REC, 1617 YDS (39.4 y/g), 5 TDs

That is the best WR drafted by the Jets since Jerricho Cotchery in 2004 or Jeremy Kerley in 2011. By a lot. Now for.... the rest.... oh god. For real. This is probably the second worst position group. I know, who can be worse? Just wait.

Total Jets Stats--

78 games (13 per player, a solid 0 from Shaq Evans helps this average), 47 REC (7.8 per player, 3.6 R/G), 525 YDS (87.5 per player, 7 Y/G), ONE **** TOUCHDOWN

The stats speak for themselves here. How do you support a QB drafting WRs like this. Over the course of 7 years we have found one WR capable of playing even semi-decently and he can't stay on the field. This is absurd. This is outrageous. This is why we suck. We have found exactly zero offensive playmakers over 10 RB/WR picks.

TEs Drafted-- 4

Herndon, Leggett, Wesco, the GOAT Jace Amaro

Total Jets Stats--

47 games (11.7 per player), 91 REC (22.8 per player, 1.5 R/G), 961 YDS (240.3 per player, 15.9 Y/G), 7 TDs

Is this a bad group? Kinda. Yeah. Amaro was a massive bust in the second round. Davante Adams, Carlos Hyde, Jimmy Galapagos, Jarvis Landry, and Preston Brown were all taken between Amaro and Macdougle in 2014. Leggett was useless as well, providing zero reason to keep him more than a year. Wesco hasn't touched the field outside blocking on occasion. Yes, Herndon looks legit and he could end up the 4th or 5th best pick of this "era" behind Darnold, Jenkins, Prez, Quinnen/Leo. But his three companions in this group are hot garbage at best.

Safeties Drafted-- 3

Maye and Mal..... oh and Calvin Pryor

Semi-Total Jets Stats--

58 games, 4 INTs, 25 pass defenses, 7 forced fumbles, 6 sacks, 327 total tackles, 25 passes defended for Mal and Maye*

This is the best position group of our drafts. When Mal and Maye are on the field together, it's a thing of beauty. I don't need to dive in too much here. They're great players. Enough said.

Although I found it weird we only drafted three safeties in 7 years.

*I forgot about Pryor until the end and I really don't feel like mentioning him. He sucked. Ass. Just trust me here.

Linebackers drafted-- 7

Trevor Reilly, Jeremiah George, Lorenzo Mauldin, Jenkins, Lee, Cashman, Polite

Total Jets Stats--

145 games played (20.7 games per player), 415 total tackles (59.3 per player, 2.9 per game), 37 TFLs (5.3 per player), 4 INTs, 8 FF, 25.5 sacks, 66 QB hits, 18 passes defended

This is a group that includes pass rushing and off ball LBs. Honestly, the only impressive one out of this group is Jenkins. He accounts for almost half the sacks and a third of the QB hits. Lee was a bust and a half outside his 3 INTs (all last year), Mauldin was hurt and never reached his potential, and the rest are either too young (Cashman) or outright bad. It's not a terrible group with Jenkins and potentially Cashman. Certainly not as bad as others. Polite drags it down quite a lot, at least Reilly was a ST contributor for 2 seasons.

Defensive Linemen Drafted-- 8

Quinnen, Shepherd, Fatukasi, Dylan Donahue, Leonard Williams, Deon Simon, Ik "Iron Fist" Enkempali, Sheldon Richardson

Total Jets Stats--

169 games (21 games per player, 24 not counting Q), 417 total tackles (52 per player), 77 TFLs (9.6 per player, it's 5 total without Sheldon and Leo), 36.5 sacks, 149 QB hits (Ik doesn't have one on the field, shockingly), 7 forced fumbles, 2 INTs lol

Wow. For drafting DL all the **** time we ended up with two mediocre ones and a pile of garbage. Honestly, the numbers without Leo and Sheldon are just..... so bad. Quinnen could end up a beast but its far too early. This is, sadly, our second best position group we've drafted after safety. Linebackers coming in a close third. I seriously think that we are cursed when the meme position is this bad.

So, you're probably saying "Stoner, you missed two groups." No, I was saving them for last. Because they're the most................. fun.

Corners Drafted-- 8

Get ready for this.

Dee Millner, Brandon Dixon, Dexter McDougle, Juston Burris, Derrick Jones, Jeremy Clark, Parry Nickerson, Blessuan Austin

Total Jets Stats--

97 games (12 games per player. TWELVE), 117 tackles (14.6 per player), 28 passes defended (3.5 per player lmaooooo), 5 INTs

Lets go back to the passes defensed. You wanna know where 19 of those 28 passes defensed came from? Dee Millner. Those 28 PDs are less than the three safeties we drafted. NONE of the corners we drafted made it to a 4th year with us. In fact, if you eliminate the final 2 weeks of 2013 our 8 drafted corners have 2 INTs in Seven. ****. Years. Mike Mac's corners (all 5 of them), combined for those 2 other INTs and 8 passes defensed. Leonard Williams has 1 INT and 3 passes defensed. Also, the first and only first round corner we drafted was Millner. There's a very, very obvious reason our corners suck. We haven't done anything remotely close to adequate to address the position and our prior GMs should be ashamed.

Finally, the moment we've all been waiting for.

OL Drafted-- 7

Oday Aboushi (15 games, 10 starts), Brian Winters (82 games, 72 starts), William Campbell (0 snaps), Dakota Dozier (37 games, 7 starts), Jarvis Harrison (0 snaps), Brandon Shell (36 games, 31 starts), Chuma Edoga (0 snaps)

Yes, friends. This is all the OL we have drafted. Clearly Winters is the tops in this group but there is literally zero talent here. Shell is the second best player in a group where the best is a mediocre guard who is always hurt. Mr. Mac drafted two of them in 5 drafts and Idzik drafted two guys who didn't even make it out of camp. Winters is also kind of a self fulfilling prophecy as well. Shell too. The reason they have been able to start so many games over the years is because we haven't drafted well at the position. Winters is a bottom tier guard and Shell is a bottom tier tackle. Neither would be starting on 22 other teams.

So that's it. I've depressed myself enough for one night. Oh.... wait

PUNTERS DRAFTED-- 1

THE GOAT. THE LAC NESS MONSTER. THE PUNTER FROM DOWN UNDER. MR. LAC EDWARDS. THE PREMIER PICK OF THE MACCAGNAN ERA

GOODNIGHT EVERYONE.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo

Return to New York Jets