Draft Prospects

Moderator: Rich Rane

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Draft Prospects 

Post#1 » by Manhattan Project » Sun Apr 1, 2007 9:49 pm

Lets discuss any prospects that we should look into drafting. Me personally im thinking a corner in the first round followed up with a OL and DE to round out the roster with the first three picks.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#2 » by Jose7 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:09 am

LETS DRAFT A CB or Pass rusher. OLB.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Remember the Past
Assistant Coach
And1: 1
Location: Screw Wes and LeDiva. Keep Lee. Trust Donnie. Give the Rookies a chance.

Post#3 » by Remember the Past » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:09 am

We deperatly need a true #1 CB but I have a feeling we won't get one with our 1st pick. Revis would be a drue come true in the 1st round. Other than that...best player avaible i guess, maybe even olsen or we might go OL. I doubt we go with a pass rusher after all the depth we've added to the d-line this offseason.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#4 » by Flaming Mo » Mon Apr 2, 2007 11:30 am

We still need OLine help since Kendall is getting old and last year we had one of the worst rushing attacks in the league. Justin Blaylock fits the mold of a "Mangini type player" (if there is something like that) and he is a big road grader from a big program.

I can't see Mangini taking a CB early since he showed last season that he knows about a football team having it's strength from the trenches. This draft is very deep, I expect the Jets to go lines once again early...
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Flaming Mo » Mon Apr 2, 2007 12:28 pm

I will gi list of possible picks for the Jets with either their first rounder or with one of their second rounders. Feel free to add more names...

LaMarr Woodley (Michigan) 3-4 LB, 6-2, 270

Woodley stock has been falling since the Wolverines' loss to USC. Even with raising questions, Woodley is a tremendous athlete and great prospect. He just is He is a natural football player. He might be the perfect fit for the Outside Linebacker spot where the Jets lack size and pass rushing ability. He might be picked right between our picks.

Aaron Sears (Tennessee) OT, 6-4, 335

Sears could help the Jets to form a tremendous offensive line for years to come. Kendall is aging and Clement isn't a lock for the starter job next year. Sears has versatility and great size. He comes from a big porgram and has good experience playing for years in the SEC. Another player though who might be a stretch with our first rounder.

Justin Blalock (Texas) OT, 6-4, 335

Another potential road grader on the offensive line. Blalock is known for his great understanding of the game and smarts. A high character player who would fit right in with Mangini's new system and the makeup of the Jets roster. Despite having tremendous size he is very quick a agile. Another weight room fanatic too.

Quentin Moses (Georgia) 3-4 LB, 6-5, 255

His stock has fallen since his bad senior year at Georgia. A player with his athletic ability and speed is still an elite level prospect. Won't be big enough to play DE in a 3-4 defense but his speed off the edge could cause havoc from the OLB position. Character questions and work ethic might be an issue but he could be a steal later with his skillset. Had a great bowl performance.

Aaron Ross (Texas) CB, 6-1, 192

Interesting prospect with big upside. He didn't start until his senior year where he truly helped his stock. Provides good size and great athletisism paired with solid ball skills/hands. At times he's a gambler and he doesn't have great timed speed even though he recovers very well.

Manuel Ramirez (Texas Tech) OG, 6-4, 328

He could add depth and size for the upcoming Jets offensive line. Provides a mean streak and he is a good run blocker. With Kendall aging and last year's bad rushing attack, he would help in both areas. Thomas Jones needs holes to run through and Ramirez could produce immediately.

Greg Olsen (Miami FL) TE, 6-4, 252

He is regarded by many as the best Tight End of this year's Draft class. A converted wide receiver, Olsen brings incredible athletic ability and outstanding speed to the table. Just an average blocker and a bit small for a big leage TE. Mangini who is known for caring a lot about good blocking from his players, might want to go a different direction even though Olsen seems like a perfect pass for the West Coast Offense and would gie Chad Pennington another dangerous target.

Anthony Spencer (Purdue) 3-4 LB, 6-3, 265

Explosive pass rusher with good technique and leverage. Spencer has good experience and is also a good player against the run. He would also have to learn position and that might make people shy of his abilities in the 3-4 and in a new role. He is a very smart player though who has a knack for making plays and operating with a great motor.

Chris Houston (Arkansas) CB, 5-10, 190

Houston is an outstanding athlete with great speed at the cornerback position. He faced some of the best wide receivers in the nation and answered the bell by shutting them down. Rumors though say that Houston is a much better athlete as he is a football player which maybe describes his recent rising stock during the workout period. Raw but Mangini loves cornerbacks he can form.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#6 » by Jose7 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:23 pm

Get me Anthony Spencer or Jarvis Moss.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
KnickTerp12
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#7 » by KnickTerp12 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:51 am

If we're goin D i say try Moss or Woodley.

If we're goin O, Olsen would be nice for Chad.

Also, lets trade up for Calvin Johnson :)
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Post#8 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Apr 3, 2007 5:09 am

Honestly I dont mind going to the line in the first rounder, like you said Blalock seems to be the ideal pick for us. With Woodley and Rameriez as the second round picks. Man there would be no sexy picks, but damn thats building the team the right way.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Flaming Mo » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:50 am

Manhattan Project wrote:Honestly I dont mind going to the line in the first rounder, like you said Blalock seems to be the ideal pick for us. With Woodley and Rameriez as the second round picks. Man there would be no sexy picks, but damn thats building the team the right way.

If we somehow end up with Woodley AND Blaylock I would go nuts. That would be an absolute PERFECT draft...
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#10 » by treiz » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:43 pm

I'd rather draft a CB in the first round (Preferably Revis) but Ross will be good as well, I like his physical presence....I also believe that we should concentrate our O-line/D-line (Pass-rusher) in the second round, or third round...(BTW, how many second and thirds do we have?)...
WizBiz
Assistant Coach
And1: 27

Post#11 » by WizBiz » Mon Apr 9, 2007 5:54 pm

We have 2 seconds and a third. The seconds are (57) and (63) overall. I'm not sure about the third one.
OneCent
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#12 » by OneCent » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:30 am

Flaming Mo wrote:Justin Blalock (Texas) OT, 6-4, 335
(picture)

Another potential road grader on the offensive line. Blalock is known for his great understanding of the game and smarts. A high character player who would fit right in with Mangini's new system and the makeup of the Jets roster. Despite having tremendous size he is very quick a agile. Another weight room fanatic too.

Apparently he also top scored in the Wonderlic with a 41 out of a possible 50. I know the Wonderlic doesn't always mean anything (think Vince Young). but Mangini and Tannenbaum seem to have a high stock in it. If I remember correctly, the Jets' draft last year featured the highest average score out of any team... so I wouldn't be surprised if this moves him up on our draft board.
treiz
RealGM

Post#13 » by treiz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:52 am

I wouldn't be surprised if he does pick Blalock because of this, Mangini loves people who are smart so they can learn to adapt to the system straight away, but then again if that happens, then I hope McCauley drops to us in the 2nd round(one can hope right)
Clincher
General Manager
And1: 694

Post#14 » by Clincher » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:14 am

I am praying for Chris Houston to fall to us as I think hes going to be great in the league.

I heard Jarrett is falling big time too and I can honestly take him with our 1st rounder. He'd be great here with us IMO.
treiz
RealGM

Post#15 » by treiz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:23 pm

Jarrett is not really a priority, plus, we can get good WRs in the second and third round anyway.

Return to New York Jets