Kenyon Coleman

Moderator: Rich Rane

Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Kenyon Coleman 

Post#1 » by Flaming Mo » Mon Apr 2, 2007 12:31 pm

Coleman is expected to make an impact for us in the 3-4 defense. It seems likely he will take over at right defensive end for Von Oelhoffen.

What do you expect from him after being a backup for his entire career?!?

Parcells might have talked the Jets into him and at 28 he is still young enough to really make a step forward...
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,876

Post#2 » by Jose7 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:22 pm

I think this was a great free agent signing. He is the perfect mangini guy. He plays hard, works hard and has a motor. Should fit very well. I like the David Bowens signing as well. Team players who are going to help us win. These guys are going to make Vilma play better too.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Remember the Past
Assistant Coach
And1: 1
Location: Screw Wes and LeDiva. Keep Lee. Trust Donnie. Give the Rookies a chance.

Post#3 » by Remember the Past » Mon Apr 2, 2007 6:18 pm

Coleman better prove himself after that huge contract we gave him but anyone canbe an improvement over von oelhoffen, he was horrible last year.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#4 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:43 pm

I still think we should draft Ikaika Alama-Francis with one of the second rounders, perfect 3-4 DE that Mangini has already been watching. Coleman, Bowens, Haynes and Wadsworth are solid risk, but I want a young guy for this line.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
KnickTerp12
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#5 » by KnickTerp12 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:48 pm

I haven't heard much about the guy, I was hoping we could get a big name guy considering our DLine was a big problem last year.

Also, Drob is nice but I stiill feel like hes not suited for the 3-4. I was hoping to see him moved to DE and us draft a BIG NT. Which might still happen.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Flaming Mo » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:14 pm

NYK2k4 wrote:I haven't heard much about the guy, I was hoping we could get a big name guy considering our DLine was a big problem last year.

Also, Drob is nice but I stiill feel like hes not suited for the 3-4. I was hoping to see him moved to DE and us draft a BIG NT. Which might still happen.

The thing though was that there weren't many great 3-4 DE's on the market and at this price Coleman is a solid risk. We didn't waste big money on players that might have fit in or not. We know with Coleman he's primed to be a 3-4 lineman and he knows the system.

A 3-4 NT won't get drafted and be immediately able to play. It takes years to learn the position, to develop the strength and the technique and also there aren't primed 3-4 Nose Tackles in this draft. Even the closest thing to it (Alan Branch) seems to be too tall...
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,572

Post#7 » by Rich Rane » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:32 pm

Wow....8 defensive ends

Darrell Adams, David Bownes, Kenyon Coleman, Shaun Ellis, Bobby Hamilton, Michael Haynes, Bryan Thomas, and Andre Wadsworth.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Post#8 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:37 pm

Rich Rane wrote:Wow....8 defensive ends

Darrell Adams, David Bownes, Kenyon Coleman, Shaun Ellis, Bobby Hamilton, Michael Haynes, Bryan Thomas, and Andre Wadsworth.

You figure Thomas, Ellis, Coleman, Bowens and Kimo are going to make the roster. Haynes, Adams, Hamilton and Wadsworth are going to have to really show us something if they want to stay on.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Flaming Mo » Mon Apr 2, 2007 10:16 pm

In the 3-4 Bryan Thomas and David Bowens will play Outside Linebacker...
WizBiz
Assistant Coach
And1: 27

Post#10 » by WizBiz » Mon Apr 2, 2007 10:58 pm

Well I doubt that there will be 8 DE's come opening day...
xPrimeTimex
Analyst

Post#11 » by xPrimeTimex » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:00 am

I believe he will have a very big year.
Those that know don't talk, Those that talk don't know
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,572

Post#12 » by Rich Rane » Tue Apr 3, 2007 1:55 am

floydfan29 wrote:Well I doubt that there will be 8 DE's come opening day...

I know, I'm just saying we piled it on with DEs.
Remember the Past
Assistant Coach
And1: 1
Location: Screw Wes and LeDiva. Keep Lee. Trust Donnie. Give the Rookies a chance.

Post#13 » by Remember the Past » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:37 am

NYK2k4 wrote:I haven't heard much about the guy, I was hoping we could get a big name guy considering our DLine was a big problem last year.

D-Rob played very well at the 2nd half of last season.
As for Ikaika Alama-Francis, we can take him much further than one of the 2nd rounders, I dont think he's going 1st day, i do like hima lot though.
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#14 » by treiz » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:53 pm

Nice depth, but some of them will start OLB....

What would your line-up be?

Mine would be:
D-Line - Ellis, Robertson, Coleman
LB - Thomas, Vilma, Barton, Hobson
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Flaming Mo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:38 pm

Jets Think Kenyon Coleman Is 'Our Type of Guy'
Published: 04-11-07

By Randy Lange

Editor-in-Chief

One of the interesting things that can be gleaned from Kenyon Coleman's bio in last year's Cowboys media guide is that he's a philosophical fellow.

"I'm definitely a thinker," Coleman said Tuesday after his workout at the New York Jets' training facility. "I come from a Christian background. They didn't have a religion major at UCLA, so I felt philosophy was the next best thing. I'm intrigued by the different ways people look at things.

"But philosophy doesn't help too much on the field. You've got to be instinctive."

Coleman's instincts told him that it was time this year, as an unrestricted free agent, to move on from Dallas, where he had spent the past four of his five NFL seasons and had steadily grown as a 3-4 end in Bill Parcells' defensive line rotation.

In fact, Parcells told him two years ago, "This defense is for you. If you go anywhere, you need to be in a 3-4."

Coleman, who checks in at 6'5" and 295 pounds, has the build for the position. But it took him a while to develop a similar mind-set.

"At first, playing the 3-4 was foreign to me. I didn't know what to expect," he recalled. "Then the more I played it, the more I got to understand."

Maybe that philosophy degree, which he'll have after completing a few more classes, is paying dividends on the gridiron after all.

Which brings us to Coleman trading in his silver star for the white NY in the green oval
OneCent
Freshman

Post#16 » by OneCent » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:54 am

He definitely sounds like the kind of player Mangini/Tannenbaum have been looking to bring into New York since they arrived. Hopefully his play is good enough to put him in the starting role opposite Ellis... I'd rather not see much of Kimo again.
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#17 » by treiz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:37 am

I'd love to see him opposite Ellis, I love guys who has great heart and he seems to be exactly that guy.

Return to New York Jets