Preseason Games Thread

Moderator: HMFFL

Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: Preseason Games Thread 

Post#121 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Sep 5, 2015 11:54 pm

IDK if injury is why Sio is out - seems to be other things.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#122 » by FNQ » Sun Sep 6, 2015 12:52 am

Twinkie defense wrote:IDK if injury is why Sio is out - seems to be other things.

It's probably not all one reason. He looked slower than ever, thats likely due to injury. But the team was really hell-bent on trying other players at his spot, which is likely now Mayowa's spot.

We'll see what he does with Colts, but I cant imagine it being that much. Sapping his athleticism saps his potential considerably
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#123 » by Neddy » Sun Sep 6, 2015 1:19 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Hate Reggie?

Ignore 2014 and 2015 draft.
Harp on the 2013 draft until the cows come home.

we haven't had a better talent evaluator than Reggie in last couple of decades. I loved Al I still love him for all he did for the raiders and nobody in pro sports has done more to advance minorities in pro sports in America, but his last twenty years or so was a blunder after another when it came to drafts and trades... and we all know the glory years of Chucky and Gannon era was built on FA vets and not through the draft.

in a long line of Todd Marivovichs, Rolando McClains, Fabian Washingtons, Robert Gallarys, and JaMacus Russells, having young players who are actually producing/promising like Carr, Mack, Cooper, Murray, and having un-drafted gems like Streater, King, and McGloin doesn't happen unless the man in charge has a keen eye to judge talent.
ehhhhh f it.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#124 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Sep 6, 2015 1:50 am

How do you know he was slow, what did he get, five minutes of playing time?

"I'm Decayed"
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#125 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Sep 6, 2015 2:02 am

Nelly that's all well and good but recent vintage Raiders have been historically bad! Let's let them win some games before we declare how great they are.

"I'm Decayed"
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#126 » by FNQ » Sun Sep 6, 2015 3:10 am

Twinkie defense wrote:How do you know he was slow, what did he get, five minutes of playing time?

How long does it take you to notice if a player looks as athletic as he did in the past, especially if you key in on that player?

He looked way slower than before. If he was out on the field, and he was out in practice, its not like he needs to warm up to get to top speed.. seems relatively simple to work out
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#127 » by FNQ » Sun Sep 6, 2015 3:16 am

Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Hate Reggie?

Ignore 2014 and 2015 draft.
Harp on the 2013 draft until the cows come home.

we haven't had a better talent evaluator than Reggie in last couple of decades. I loved Al I still love him for all he did for the raiders and nobody in pro sports has done more to advance minorities in pro sports in America, but his last twenty years or so was a blunder after another when it came to drafts and trades... and we all know the glory years of Chucky and Gannon era was built on FA vets and not through the draft.

in a long line of Todd Marivovichs, Rolando McClains, Fabian Washingtons, Robert Gallarys, and JaMacus Russells, having young players who are actually producing/promising like Carr, Mack, Cooper, Murray, and having un-drafted gems like Streater, King, and McGloin doesn't happen unless the man in charge has a keen eye to judge talent.

Exactly.. we havent had a proper rebuild in longer than I can remember. Al just simply never believed in them. And on occasion, that worked out for us. But not in his last 10 years, for sure. Reggie promised to build through the draft and has done that. Obviously not batting 1.000, but we have 2 guys who look potential stars (Amari, Mack), two guys who are showing a ton of promise (Carr, MEJ) and a handful of guys who have a chance to be high level players (Gabe, Latavius, Walford, Jelly, Carrie) along with some solid FA adds (Tuck, Hudson, Penn, Allen, M. Smith, Big Dan). Are we there yet? No, but are we closer to building a team with sustained success than any time in the past 20 years? Absolutely.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#128 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Sep 6, 2015 6:17 pm

MEJ?
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#129 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Sep 6, 2015 6:21 pm

Mario Edwards? Lol, you're getting ahead of yourself.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#130 » by FNQ » Sun Sep 6, 2015 6:41 pm

So 2 sacks in 8 series against 1s, being a former #1 HS prospect isn't a lot of promise? Maybe if someone else drafted him besides Reggie he'd be a lot more promising, or if he wasn't declared a waste of a 2nd rounder before the draft ended :dontknow:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oakland-raiders-florida-state-seminoles-mario-edwards-jr-defensive-end-083115
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#131 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Sep 6, 2015 7:43 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Mario Edwards? Lol, you're getting ahead of yourself.

you trippin.

He got the doors blown off of him in the first game of the preseason.
He's been nothing but good since.

oh and he's a 21 year old rookie…not 22.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#132 » by Neddy » Sun Sep 6, 2015 8:34 pm

I can't say I know as much about Junior as some other guys, but I remember his father and he was a special talent. and this kid to me looks much bigger than his old man. hope he has his father's will since the DNA is already there.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#133 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Sep 7, 2015 2:07 am

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/0lAl31lZRc/[/instagram]

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/y8VrO7FZbT/[/instagram]

athletically, this kid is a special talent.
I think he's going to be a special player. He's gonna devour the run and he's going to develop into a solid bullying pass rusher IMO even though he wont have the sexy sack total to show for it. I'll come back later with quotes about this kid from Tuck and Mack. They love this kid and think he's going to be special as well.

edit:
there were a number of questions about his weight and work ethic. In short….why was he the #1 prospect in HS but his college performance lacked? He addressed those. Said his weight was a function of being left up to his own devices and not knowing what to eat. He got it under control going into camp by having a nutritionist. Shouldn't be a problem moving forward although I don't mind any Raider fan leaving that as a question mark.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#134 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:52 am

Well, call me a pessimist, I guess I want to see a rookie backup take some snaps in real games before I start heralding him as an important part of the future!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#135 » by FNQ » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:35 am

But you can declare the player a wasted pick shortly after he's drafted? That makes the pessimist label seems deserved.

Not sure how showing promise = an important part of the future, but pretty much any 2nd rd pick SHOULD be an important part of the future, or else the pick probably wasn't a good one
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#136 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:40 am

You're a pessimist. Wish granted.

We were speaking toward his potential. The statement FNQ made was "guys who are showing a ton of promise" not that he would be a star.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#137 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:42 am

Who did I say was a wasted pick? Don't you think Denico Autry has been more interesting this preseason?

"I'm Decayed"
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#138 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:45 am

I didn't even know what "MEJ" referred to... Reg put him in the same class as Carr - either he's pessimistic on Carr, or maybe people are seeing a different DE out there this preseason. I'm not judging him one way or the other right now, and of course I hope he is a stud. Let's not get ahead of ourselves is what I said.

"I'm Decayed"
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#139 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:00 am

We weren't getting ahead of ourselves by saying that he shows a ton of potential.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Preseason Games Thread 

Post#140 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:27 am

Yeah OK - potential ain't crap though. For me anyway, Carr has shown more than potential. He is a core piece. And right now I have Autry ahead of Mario Edwards.

But who knows what happens in the future - Roberts looks great at WR and he was a practice squad guy. Other much higher picks have been promising and they're out of the League fast. Believe me I want them all to be studs, but I have learned that is most often not the case. I want them to show it.

"I'm Decayed"

Return to Las Vegas Raiders