Penn our LT for years to come?

Moderator: HMFFL

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Penn our LT for years to come? 

Post#1 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:44 am

http://www.sfchronicle.com/raiders/article/Raiders-Penn-hopes-to-anchor-left-side-for-6451832.php?t=b5de715ff50a4808f6&cmpid=twitter-premium

He leads a left side of the offensive line that is probably Oakland’s strength and is one of the leaders on the team. With his performance last season and so far in training camp, Penn has seemingly already earned an extension. And League sources say that Oakland general manager Reggie McKenzie has been talking to Penn’s agent about that very thing.

“I don’t want to get into that, just focusing on things on the field,” said Penn, who stands 6-foot-4 and weighs 315 pounds. “But yeah, that would be great. I love it here. I grew up a Raiders fan and we’re getting closer to bringing it back to the old, winning ways.”

I had my eyes locked in on grabbing one of the top tackles next year (aka we wouldn't be good this year)….but this intrigues me.
If he can hold on for a few more years, we can possibly groom another tackle in his place and use our 1st elsewhere next year…possibly at the Safety spot.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Penn our LT for years to come? 

Post#2 » by Neddy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:12 am

Quake Griffin wrote:http://www.sfchronicle.com/raiders/article/Raiders-Penn-hopes-to-anchor-left-side-for-6451832.php?t=b5de715ff50a4808f6&cmpid=twitter-premium

He leads a left side of the offensive line that is probably Oakland’s strength and is one of the leaders on the team. With his performance last season and so far in training camp, Penn has seemingly already earned an extension. And League sources say that Oakland general manager Reggie McKenzie has been talking to Penn’s agent about that very thing.

“I don’t want to get into that, just focusing on things on the field,” said Penn, who stands 6-foot-4 and weighs 315 pounds. “But yeah, that would be great. I love it here. I grew up a Raiders fan and we’re getting closer to bringing it back to the old, winning ways.”

I had my eyes locked in on grabbing one of the top tackles next year (aka we wouldn't be good this year)….but this intrigues me.
If he can hold on for a few more years, we can possibly groom another tackle in his place and use our 1st elsewhere next year…possibly at the Safety spot.

I dunno. I feel like your question is somewhat misleading. how many years can a 32 year old anchor an OL in NFL? maybe a year or two, possibly 3. stretching the odds to say 4 or more as a LT with all the quick and strong cats who play the blind side from the defensive line in today's NFL.

I personally don't think Watson is going to pan out so moving Penn to RT when the time comes to draft a stud LT comes in to play, is probably more likely IMO but who knows.
ehhhhh f it.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#3 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:30 pm

Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:http://www.sfchronicle.com/raiders/article/Raiders-Penn-hopes-to-anchor-left-side-for-6451832.php?t=b5de715ff50a4808f6&cmpid=twitter-premium

I dunno. I feel like your question is somewhat misleading. how many years can a 32 year old anchor an OL in NFL? maybe a year or two, possibly 3. stretching the odds to say 4 or more as a LT with all the quick and strong cats who play the blind side from the defensive line in today's NFL.

I personally don't think Watson is going to pan out so moving Penn to RT when the time comes to draft a stud LT comes in to play, is probably more likely IMO but who knows.

Of the top 10 LT last year, 7 were over 30 years old. I think Penn has 2 solid years left in the tank like you both have referenced and maybe a few avg years after that. Moving him to RT like Neddy said after drafting a blue chip LT is fesible as well but look at the closest comp in terms of age, skill level and time of extension:
Jason Peters
Signed a 4 year, $41,300,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2014 at the age of 32 including a $5,000,000 signing bonus, $15,750,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,325,000.
Snaps RT Age
1 LT (16), RT (0) Jason Peters PHI 1168 38.2 33
2 LT (16), RT (0) Andrew Whitworth CIN 1057 36.8 33
3 LT (16), RT (0) Joe Thomas CLV 1078 33.5 30
4 LT (16), RT (0) Joe Staley SF 1082 22.2 30
5 LT (16), RT (0) Kelvin Beachum PIT 1134 21.7 25
6 LT (16), RT (0) Tyron Smith DAL 1082 21.1 24
7 LT (16), RT (0) Donald Penn OAK 1048 19.3 32
8 LT (9), RT (0) Branden Albert MIA 558 17.5 30
9 LT (16), RT (0) Jared Veldheer ARZ 1089 16.5 28
10 LT (16), RT (0) Duane Brown HST 1122 16.1 29

Penn isn't the player that Peters is and Reggie is kinda of tight with the money as he should be so I expect a 4 year extension worth 32-36mil with around 12 guaranteed. He'll probably play 2 yr and then we'll cut him so the dead money will only be 1-3mil. Here is a link to Peter's contract structure to see how it could work out. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/jason-peters/
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#4 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:16 pm

I'm sorry if I was unclear.

Whether I was right or wrong: I always felt that in 2016 we'd take Tunsil or Stanley at the top of the draft.

Now that i know we might go forward with Penn for at least a couple years, I'd much rather us try to groom another tackle in his place and grab a top end player for another position in the 2016 draft.

like this kid:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIGc2LooeFs[/youtube]
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#5 » by benchmobbin02 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:46 am

I wonder the Watson injury will effect the contract negotiations with Penn.

Some of the better tackles that are free agents next year are : Anthony Castonzo 27, Andrew Wentworth 33, Kelvin Beachum 26, Cordy Glenn 25, Mitchell Schwartz 26, Russell Okung 27. Maybe we can make a run at one of the young guys like Glenn, Okung or Beachum. We have the money to make a good offer and then we can draft a T and he doesn't have to the starting LT right away.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!

Return to Las Vegas Raiders