Derek Carr

Moderator: HMFFL

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Derek Carr 

Post#1 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Nov 2, 2015 5:17 pm

Discuss
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Re: Derek Carr 

Post#2 » by benchmobbin02 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 6:17 pm

Discuss what? Why don't you get us started...
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#3 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Nov 2, 2015 8:38 pm

his start this year has been amazing.
I expected improvement in his Sophomore season….but he's just being down right elite FOR THE TIME BEING.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#4 » by richboy » Mon Nov 2, 2015 8:46 pm

If he starts using those legs more he might really be Baby Rodgers.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Derek Carr 

Post#5 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Nov 3, 2015 3:09 am

"After his slow start, the second-year signal caller has now climbed to seventh overall in the PFF quarterback rankings, one spot ahead of Matt Ryan.

Earlier in the year, I wrote that it may be time to pump the brakes on the Carr hype after those two shaky performances to start the year; for now, it’s time to get that hype-wagon onto the open road."

Who says Carr is not a top-15 QB hahaha!?

BTW PFF also talks about how Raiders have a top-two pass blocking line... they have been good pass blockers, but a big part of their success I think is how quickly Carr gets the ball out. It's a lot easier to pass block for 3 seconds than 7 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#6 » by Neddy » Wed Nov 4, 2015 3:13 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
BTW PFF also talks about how Raiders have a top-two pass blocking line... they have been good pass blockers, but a big part of their success I think is how quickly Carr gets the ball out. It's a lot easier to pass block for 3 seconds than 7 seconds.

true, but that also would indicate how brilliant Carr really is to elevate such a mediocre OL (not my opinion but what you seem to imply) because of his ability to read quickly and get the ball out in a crumbling pocket only strengthen the case of Carr's meteoric rise to the top of NFL's quarterback elites. and frankly, you can't name 15 QBs that are better than Carr right now, so I hope your "hahaha" laughter wasn't meant to be negative.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#7 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Nov 4, 2015 5:35 am

Nah. Twink (i believe) and I said he wasn't top 15 before the year started so the humor is on us.

My position was that he's not top 15 but I wouldn't take 15 QBs over him given his youth, potential, work ethic etc. etc.
Right now he's playing like a top 5-8 QB…no denying.

And I think it's both on the o-line thing. This team is beating the blitz together this year….from picking it up…to cutting off the route…to getting it out early. It's beautiful to watch and great to know Carr's numbers are better against the blitz than normal pressure.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#8 » by Neddy » Wed Nov 4, 2015 5:38 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Nah. Twink (i believe) and I said he wasn't top 15 before the year started so the humor is on us.

My position was that he's not top 15 but I wouldn't take 15 QBs over him given his youth, potential, work ethic etc. etc.
Right now he's playing like a top 5-8 QB…no denying.

And I think it's both. This team is beating the blitz together this year….from picking it up…to cutting off the route…to getting it out early. It's beautiful to watch and great to know Carr's numbers are better against the blitz than normal pressure.

Oh I see. in that case, my apologies to Twink. sorry about the misunderstanding. I guess I should roam around this end of the realGM forums more often.
ehhhhh f it.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#9 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Nov 4, 2015 7:25 am

I said Carr was better than top 15 over the summer... some are slow to come around :)

"I'm Decayed"
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#10 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Nov 4, 2015 10:55 pm

ESPN Guy on 95.7, what's his name JA Adande? Says Carr is a top 5-8 QB in League.

Just to clarify, this offseason I said Carr was definitely top 15, many disagreed. Seems the consensus has swung to Carr is easily among the top 10 or so QBs...

"I'm Decayed"
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#11 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Nov 4, 2015 11:15 pm

I still don't think you could have crowned him as such BEFORE this year started.

You're not a top 15 QB until you're a top 15 QB.
He simply wasn't that last year
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#12 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Nov 5, 2015 1:11 am

I didn't say he was top 15 last season I said he was top 15 this season, and I said it over the summer because it seemed obvious that he had all the tools - good decision-making, quick release, accuracy, and a strong arm - and just needed a better system and more weapons. Seems to me there is some value in that approach over just referring to a list of rankings after the fact. I mean did you need to see Amari Cooper play in the NFL to determine that he would be a good NFL wide receiver? I hope not.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#13 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Nov 5, 2015 2:33 am

then I misread your answers in that thread and we never really disagreed to begin with.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#14 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Nov 5, 2015 5:09 am

It's still the same point tho. You said he was top 15 in 2015before he played a snap based on his previous production, expected progression, surrounding team and his attributes in your view. Even with all of that it is still your opinion and can be thrown off by any # of variables until he proves it as Quakes said. And trust we are all glad he is now proving it in the last 4 games.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#15 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Nov 6, 2015 4:23 am

Yes I did say he was top 15 before he played a snap this season... and I was right, huh?

"I'm Decayed"
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#16 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Nov 6, 2015 4:25 am

And I agreed with you benchmobber that C-Wood was still a baller, and he is huh?

"I'm Decayed"
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#17 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Nov 6, 2015 6:51 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Yes I did say he was top 15 before he played a snap this season... and I was right, huh?

Well this can be subjective depending on how you are rating. If its just eye test or QBR or PFF or stats but most analyst would have put him outside the top 15 thru Week 2. Then he really go it going and climbed the standing.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#18 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Nov 9, 2015 9:46 pm

BEST PLAYERS AT EVERY POSITION FOR WEEK 9

Quarterback: Derek Carr, Raiders (+8.8)

It may have come in a losing effort, but the performance of Carr only enhanced his resume as perhaps the best young quarterback in the league. He’s taken a huge leap forward this year.

OAK-PIT GRADES: ANTONIO BROWN, DEANGELO WILLIAMS SHINE IN WIN
– QB Derek Carr (+8.8) had by far the best game of his young career yesterday, almost leading his young Raiders’ team to victory thanks to a huge passing performance. Carr looked deep often, completing 11-of-22 passes for 219 yards and three touchdowns on passes that traveled over 10 yards. He really only had one bad throw, his interception late in the game. Perhaps the most telling sign on how much he’s improved from last year was his performance when blitzed. Something he struggled mightily with last season, yesterday Carr was blitzed on 51 percent of his dropbacks and went 11-for-22 for 177 yards and three touchdowns. Carr is having a phenomenal season, and after yesterday’s game, is now our fifth highest graded quarterback.

3 BEST PLAYERS FROM NFL WEEK 9
Derek Carr and Antonio Brown top our list of the best players in Week 8
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#19 » by benchmobbin02 » Mon Nov 9, 2015 11:13 pm

Carr has really come on and proven he has learned from early mistakes and lessons and is one of the top young QBs in the league. No denying that. He is our guy and will only get better.

But I went back and looked at his performance. The late INT was probably the worst throw he has made all year and it was in a crucial point in the game and season. It can't be put on a receiver or the pass rush like the other ints this year. Just the wrong read and a bad throw. He should take it hard and I hope he does so he learns from it. From how he has reacted and produced, I think he will.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#20 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:06 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:Carr has really come on and proven he has learned from early mistakes and lessons and is one of the top young QBs in the league. No denying that. He is our guy and will only get better.

But I went back and looked at his performance. The late INT was probably the worst throw he has made all year and it was in a crucial point in the game and season. It can't be put on a receiver or the pass rush like the other ints this year. Just the wrong read and a bad throw. He should take it hard and I hope he does so he learns from it. From how he has reacted and produced, I think he will.

my ultimate homer perspective on that is…

I expected him to take some lumps this year as a sophomore. So had he been playing worse than he is now, I probably still would live with a mistake like that and view it as a learning opportunity for our young QB.

But Carr is something else. I get the benefit of saying that's a learning opportunity for him and the benefit of watching him lead another TD drive right after that pick….

and from everything I know about him….he wont take my view of it.
he'll be viewing the INT over with his brother and trying to make sure that mistake doesnt happen again all week.

Return to Las Vegas Raiders