Week 13 - Kansas City @ OAKLAND - DEC 6

Moderator: HMFFL

benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Week 13 - Kansas City @ OAKLAND - DEC 6 

Post#1 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Dec 6, 2015 3:27 pm

Keys to the Game

Our Linebacker Play - We face a team that has two explosive running backs, an elite tight end and a quarterback who is deadly in the short pass and screen game. They also are having injury issues on the oline. What does all that equal. The will lok to their strengths on offense to carry the day. Alex Smith will get rid of the ball quickly whenever possible and counters and delay handoffs and tosses will be used to take advantage of our dline's aggression getting penetration in the back field. Our linebacker need to play the game of the season today if we are gonna stop this attack. Mack, Smith, Lofton, Mayowa, Heeney and Edwards will all be manning the LB spots at times and we need to play disciplined and sound football for 4 qtrs.

Oakland Oline vs KC Front 7 - NT Dontari Poe, MLB Derrick Johnson and OLBs Justin Houston and Tamba Hali anchor a stout front 7 that has caused havoc for opposing Olinemen. Their leader, Houston, however is out with a knee injury and he is replaced by 2nd yr man Dee Ford. Ford has played sporadically this yr and is coming of missing 2 games with a back injury. We need to communicate as a unit blocking the interior pass rush and stunts and provide help when needed on Hali's side. I expect us to be without Hudson again and while that isn't ideal I want him to get healthy and having a fresh and athletic Bergstrom, who has been getting all the 1st team reps in practice, could be a benefit over a hobbled Hudson.

Balance on Offense - A lot has been made recently of the coaching staffs perceived lack of aggression when closing out games and many want us to open up the playbook for Derek Carr. They would like to see more spread formations and uptempo action to put more points on the board. I, for one, completely understand where this desire comes from when you look at the success we have enjoyed thru the air. Minus some inopportune dropped passes, Carr is playing nearly mistake free football of late. But I would also preach caution. This looks to be a game won by field position and big plays. Whoever can flip the field and capitalize on mistakes will have the best chance today. Airing out the ball too often vs this top rated defense without establishing the run to keep them honest is a recipe for disaster. If we have another game where drops become an issue and we haven't established a run game, we may be playing into their hands perfectly.

Who wants it more - Both teams are looking to make a move in the last 1/3 of the season to get in the playoffs. Coaches are shuffling schemes and players due to injury and effectiveness to get the right mix at the right time. Thing will go wrong today for both teams. Tackles will be missed, assignments blown and coverage will be beaten. The team with the focus, discipline, effort and follow through will win this game. Let's hope our battles in close games this year has beaten into us the resolve needed to make a statement with a win today. Go Nation!

Game Info

Game time: Sunday, December 6, 1:05 pm Pacific (4:05 pm ET)

TV channel: CBS (Do I get the game?) http://506sports.com/

Online streaming: NFL Game Pass (Live audio, replay after it's over)

Radio: 98.5 KFOX (Greg Papa, Tom Flores) | Full listings - http://www.raiders.com/media-vault/radio-network.html

Odds: Chiefs are 3-point favorites - Whatever!

Announcers: Greg Gumbel, Trent Green

Injury Report

Kansas City Chiefs Injuries

Eric Berry S Did Not Participate In Practice --
Husain Abdullah S Neck Did Not Participate In Practice Out
Justin Houston LB Knee Did Not Participate In Practice Out
Mitchell Morse C Concussion Did Not Participate In Practice Out
De'Anthony Thomas WR Concussion Did Not Participate In Practice Out
Mike Devito DE Shoulder Did Not Participate In Practice Probable
Tamba Hali LB Knee Did Not Participate In Practice Probable
Dustin Colquitt P Right Knee Full Participation in Practice Probable
Christian Conley WR Hand Full Participation in Practice Probable
Marcus Cooper CB Thumb Full Participation in Practice Probable
Eric Fisher T Neck Full Participation in Practice Probable
Dee Ford LB Back Full Participation in Practice Probable
Travis Kelce TE Groin Full Participation in Practice Probable
Joshua Mauga LB Heel Full Participation in Practice Probable
Spencer Ware RB Hamstring Full Participation in Practice Probable
Charcandrick West RB Hamstring Full Participation in Practice Probable
Jeffery Allen G Ankle Full Participation in Practice Questionable
Allen Bailey DE Calf Full Participation in Practice Questionable

Oakland Raiders Injuries

Rodney Hudson C Ankle Did Not Participate In Practice Doubtful
Taiwan Jones RB Knee Did Not Participate In Practice Doubtful
Neiron Ball LB Knee Did Not Participate In Practice Out
Keith McGill CB Ankle Did Not Participate In Practice Out
Charles Woodson S Shoulder Full Participation in Practice Probable
Neiko Thorpe CB Knee Limited Participation in Practice Questionable

Inactives List

Kansas City Chiefs Injuries
Husain Abdullah FS Inactive
Allen Bailey DE Inactive
Justin Houston OLB Inactive
David King DE Inactive
Mitch Morse C Inactive
Aaron Murray QB Inactive
De'Anthony Thomas WR Inactive

Oakland Raiders Injuries
Neiron Ball OLB Inactive
Khalif Barnes T Inactive
Gabe Holmes TE Inactive
Rodney Hudson C Inactive
Taiwan Jones RB Inactive
Keith McGill CB Inactive
Rod Streater WR Inactive
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: Week 13 - Kansas City @ OAKLAND - DEC 6 

Post#2 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Dec 6, 2015 8:09 pm

Thorpe inactive. DJ will play the nickel but Raiders will try to hide him on the right outside, with Carrie playing the slot on passing downs. Don't eff up this chance DJ!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#3 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Dec 6, 2015 8:11 pm

One thing I know for sure, Jamal Charles will not score four TDs off bubble screens on us :)

"I'm Decayed"
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#4 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Dec 6, 2015 8:21 pm

Romo says he hopes the Raiders don't stick with the run. Exactly! Let's play to our strengths, not our weaknesses. Air that **** out homey!

"I'm Decayed"
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#5 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Dec 6, 2015 8:42 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Thorpe inactive. DJ will play the nickel but Raiders will try to hide him on the right outside, with Carrie playing the slot on passing downs. Don't eff up this chance DJ!

Wrong. Thorpe is active. McGill is out again with the ankle injury.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#6 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Dec 6, 2015 8:52 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Romo says he hopes the Raiders don't stick with the run. Exactly! Let's play to our strengths, not our weaknesses. Air that **** out homey!

Well, we have the seventh ranked passing game by yards overall and the seventh ranked running back by yards overall, so our strength is a balanced offense that keeps the defense honest and allows for us to have success with both and the constant threat of a big play.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#7 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Dec 6, 2015 9:16 pm

That balanced O is looking beautiful!

Breakdown
Run - normal sets - II
Run - spread - III
Run - goalline - I

Pass - spread - II
Pass - normal - playact - I

Result - TOOOOUUUCCCCHHHHDDDDOOOWWWNNNN!
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#8 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Dec 6, 2015 9:28 pm

MARIO!
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#9 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Dec 6, 2015 9:32 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:Thorpe inactive. DJ will play the nickel but Raiders will try to hide him on the right outside, with Carrie playing the slot on passing downs. Don't eff up this chance DJ!

Wrong. Thorpe is active. McGill is out again with the ankle injury.

I must have misheard Papa - the rest is correct.

"I'm Decayed"
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#10 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Dec 6, 2015 9:33 pm

Carr has not put a ball on the ground yet...

"I'm Decayed"
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#11 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Dec 6, 2015 9:38 pm

Third and a foot, Raiders try to run it from a power formation right up the gut and get stuffed. What a waste of a great drive. Quit pounding your head into a wall Musgrave! That play don't work.

"I'm Decayed"
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#12 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Dec 6, 2015 10:05 pm

Haha, you funny twink...

Breakdown
Run - normal sets - II22233
Run - spread - III4
Run - goalline - I

Pass - spread - II2222344
Pass - normal - playact - I2
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#13 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Dec 6, 2015 10:40 pm

Halftime breakdown

Run - normal sets - II222335
Run - spread - III456
Run - goalline - I

Pass - spread - II222234456677777
Pass - normal - playact - I2
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#14 » by benchmobbin02 » Mon Dec 7, 2015 12:29 am

You happy twink?!?! We opened up the playbook and let Carr air it out and crapped the bed! Nice call but I'm sure you won't admit your wrong. Can't wait for this excuse.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Post#15 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Mon Dec 7, 2015 12:39 am

I had to work 10 am to 6:30 pm, was checking my phone constantly.

Made it in home just in time to watch/see Carr's 3rd INT run back for a TD in the 4th quarter :(

I may procure this & watch the whole game tomorrow night instead of MNF. Not sure yet.

Ugh!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#16 » by FNQ » Mon Dec 7, 2015 1:05 am

Lotta drops by the pass catching corps today. Its becoming a weekly thing with Cooper, and borderline concerning for a guy who came in with the 'polished' label. Rivera with a big drop as well.. Carr started forcing it. He did hold onto it a little longer than usual today as well.. line didnt look great. Defense is not good, at all. Our draft needs to be defense heavy. The LB corps isn't impressive and we need a true #1 DB going forward.

Today was a good reminder that our most talented players are young and inconsistent, and our vets are not gamechangers at all, just placeholders. I'm thinking 6-10 now, which is fine considering the flashes of talent we've shown. Just need Reggie to keep bringing in the young talent.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#17 » by FNQ » Mon Dec 7, 2015 8:00 pm

BTW, Mario Edwards is looking really, really good. Like going to be a force when we get more talent around him good. It's a shame our LB and secondary are both so bad right now.

Also, TJ Carrie has dropped off noticably this year as well.. lingering injury? I also expect Nate Allen to be a FA in 4 months.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#18 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Dec 7, 2015 8:32 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:You happy twink?!?! We opened up the playbook and let Carr air it out and crapped the bed! Nice call but I'm sure you won't admit your wrong. Can't wait for this excuse.

No I'm not happy, I wasn't a big fan of the playbook at all. Again too many times Carr was put at bad down and distance situation because we tried to cram it up the middle, to ill effect, on early downs.

That said, I don't blame the play calling for the loss. The INTs in the 4th quarter were obviously a big part - it was not Carr's best moment. The three INTs - the one where he was swarmed and picked by a lineman was a bad decision, he should have just taken the sack. The one where Amari tipped it was not Carr's fault, that was a good defensive play, though I wish Amari wouldn't have just sat there and let the DB get up and run away with the ball. And with the other INT Carr gets the blame but I'm not sure what was going on there - he threw it right to the defender. The receiver either fell down or ran a different route than Carr was expecting.

Part of it is the KC defense, that is a fine unit.

Again that 3rd and a foot run up the middle for a stuff was a bad call, compounded by a drop on fourth down (though I like Del Rio going for it there).

Way too many dropped balls overall, which slowed down drives.

It was really a shame we were not able to get more points from all of the great field position - too many punts from midfield.

The kicking game - what a shame. IDK what was going on that so many kicks were muffed, on both sides.

The defense pretty well held their own for a change yesterday, though still quite a few missed arm tackles. I was really happy with the pressure the defense was getting on Alex Smith, and their mostly holding the Chiefs to bad field position when the punt unit pinned them back. Also happy to force a couple KC turnovers.

C-Wood was absolutely beasting with two fumble recoveries including one where he just took the ball away and sprinted down the field - setting up Carr's big TD strike to Crabtree between two defenders to take the lead to end the second.

Mostly this game just confirms to me that the Raiders are still a mediocre to middling team. They will win some against the dregs of the League, including on the road, but I wouldn't say they have a single signature win. The offense is our strength - especially the passing game - and the defense is our weakness. Still have a lot of work to do but hopefully next season they can get a few more pieces and threaten a winning record and playoffs.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#19 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Dec 7, 2015 8:35 pm

FNQ wrote:Lotta drops by the pass catching corps today. Its becoming a weekly thing with Cooper, and borderline concerning for a guy who came in with the 'polished' label. Rivera with a big drop as well.. Carr started forcing it. He did hold onto it a little longer than usual today as well.. line didnt look great. Defense is not good, at all. Our draft needs to be defense heavy. The LB corps isn't impressive and we need a true #1 DB going forward.

Crabtree also had at least two bad drops. This is the guy who is supposed to have the best hands in the League, it's surprising to me how he can drop easy balls and then turnaround and make a great catch like the one to close the first half.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#20 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Dec 8, 2015 12:41 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:You happy twink?!?! We opened up the playbook and let Carr air it out and crapped the bed! Nice call but I'm sure you won't admit your wrong. Can't wait for this excuse.

No I'm not happy, I wasn't a big fan of the playbook at all. Again too many times Carr was put at bad down and distance situation because we tried to cram it up the middle, to ill effect, on early downs.

That said, I don't blame the play calling for the loss. The INTs in the 4th quarter were obviously a big part - it was not Carr's best moment. The three INTs - the one where he was swarmed and picked by a lineman was a bad decision, he should have just taken the sack. The one where Amari tipped it was not Carr's fault, that was a good defensive play, though I wish Amari wouldn't have just sat there and let the DB get up and run away with the ball. And with the other INT Carr gets the blame but I'm not sure what was going on there - he threw it right to the defender. The receiver either fell down or ran a different route than Carr was expecting.

Part of it is the KC defense, that is a fine unit.

Again that 3rd and a foot run up the middle for a stuff was a bad call, compounded by a drop on fourth down (though I like Del Rio going for it there).

Way too many dropped balls overall, which slowed down drives.

It was really a shame we were not able to get more points from all of the great field position - too many punts from midfield.

The kicking game - what a shame. IDK what was going on that so many kicks were muffed, on both sides.

The defense pretty well held their own for a change yesterday, though still quite a few missed arm tackles. I was really happy with the pressure the defense was getting on Alex Smith, and their mostly holding the Chiefs to bad field position when the punt unit pinned them back. Also happy to force a couple KC turnovers.

C-Wood was absolutely beasting with two fumble recoveries including one where he just took the ball away and sprinted down the field - setting up Carr's big TD strike to Crabtree between two defenders to take the lead to end the second.

Mostly this game just confirms to me that the Raiders are still a mediocre to middling team. They will win some against the dregs of the League, including on the road, but I wouldn't say they have a single signature win. The offense is our strength - especially the passing game - and the defense is our weakness. Still have a lot of work to do but hopefully next season they can get a few more pieces and threaten a winning record and playoffs.

We ran the ball 24 time. Only 7 times did one of those atts leave us with more then 5 yard to get a first down. We have to run the ball to maintain balance and every run play isn't gonna gain yards or be successful due to a # of factors. But that doesn't mean we abandon the run because we had time where some one missed a block or lost an individual battle with a defender or the defense had the perfect play called to counter ours.

You can keep railing vs running between the tackles but show how novice your thinking is when it comes to play calling and situational football. Like I said, we total gave up on the run for a period and it brought nothing but disaster. A lot of thing contributed to this loss but a few no gain runs would be in way down the list if it were complied.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!

Return to Las Vegas Raiders