Week 13 - Kansas City @ OAKLAND - DEC 6

Moderator: HMFFL

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Re: Week 13 - Kansas City @ OAKLAND - DEC 6 

Post#21 » by FNQ » Tue Dec 8, 2015 5:43 pm

I haven't checked PFF in a while but I'm willing to bet our grades are down across the board. Penn is looking average at best, Webb is getting blown up inside often, Bergstrom can't even snap the ball that well. I think we should only assume we're good at LG and C moving forward, especially when it comes to run blocking (which isn't Gabe's forte either). Seems to me that OL is just as big a long-term issue as ILB and the entire secondary.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#22 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Dec 8, 2015 9:11 pm

Our run game is just not that good - we don't have good run blockers or a power runner. I'm not saying abandon the run - just recognize that we are a passing team. When we do run, run it outside the tackles and/or out of pass formations so we can get some defenders out of the box. I have yet to see any real progress this season out of power formations running inside the tackles. Smart playcalling builds on our strengths and away from our weaknesses - that is not contradicted by anything that happened vs. the Chiefs.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#23 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Dec 9, 2015 12:13 am

Jackson (7.4), Hudson (3.6), L. Smith (2.8), Penn (1.2), and Bergstom (1.1) are all plus run blockers and Murray is a good running back that would really benefit from a change of pace back in the stable with him and better blocking on the right side. Olewale is a good start but my dream is locking up someone like Forte next yr on a Reggie type front loaded deal of 3 yrs 15 mil. Then drafting a guy like Shock Linwood to be our Darren Sporles type guy.

We do have success out of power formations with Murray and Olewale. Here are Murray's carries from last game - 5yards, 4, 35, 4, 2(td), 6, 1, 2, 2, 0, 2, 5, 8, 4, 4, 1, 1, 0, 0.

It's about the same almost every game. Do you see the pattern?

He goes thru stretches where he is very productive then drops off for a series. With a change of pace back who can come in fresh and improvement to the oline we can be very good not just good on the ground as we are now. I think getting Hudson back and getting Olewale more carries will be huge for our run game.

I see your point about running out of passing sets and we are doing more of that but just airing it out will not out and just running outside the tackles will get predictable and stuffed.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#24 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Dec 9, 2015 8:29 pm

What the Raiders do have is speed - that hasn't helped up the middle but it helps around the edges, whether or not the defense knows it's coming. Right now they know what's coming anyway, it's pretty predictable. We just have to rely on talent and execution for positive plays.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#25 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Dec 9, 2015 10:01 pm

Yeah we have speed in...Taiwan Jones and...Cooper and...Roberts. I definitely see a difference in having a Darren Sporles/Doug Martin style back sharing carries with Murray then giving Jones 20 carries a season.

Your right that we have to rely on talent and execution for positive plays and it has worked well because we're about to have the first 1000 yard RB in 5 years even with all the Murray's deficiencies, Hudson's injury, Musgrave's first year with the team and Webb being a turnstile. I think that says a lot and I hope next year with upgrades in personal and another year of continuity in the system we'll be even better.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#26 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:54 am

A lot of that Murray yardage is him bouncing it outside for long gains from time to time. Let's keep doing that, sure.

In addition to the guys you mention, Olawale, Murray, Reece are all fast guys. This is the reason we ran it so well vs. the Jets - our offensive players are too fast for their big, lumbering front seven. Speed is useless in power formations running it straight up the gut though, when our linemen can't open big holes.

Gimme some power blockers and Zack Crocket, I'll run the 14 blast all day... that is just not our personnel though. I don't want balance for the sake of balance, I want the defense not to be able to stop our bread and butter.

"I'm Decayed"
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#27 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:38 am

Yeah some of the yards have been gained by running outside the tackles and that is a by product of us blocking we'll at the point of attack and Murray or Jones getting a toss or pitch or a linemen pulling to spring them on the outside. So yes it is speed but also good playcalling, blocking and execution.

Vs the Jets we definitely used the power run game and Murray was the only back that had success with Jones getting 5 yards on 2 carries and Reece and Olewale not getting any carries. Murray had 9 rushes that were over 5 yards and only one was run outside the tackles. We put a hat on a hat and beat them on those occasions and Murray made one cut and got up field like he normally does when he gains his yards. It's what makes him a good back. We definitely have a big power running oline, especially when Hudson is playing and I anticipate Reggie continuing to build it.

But we also had stretches where he would get stuffed. Whether it was because they won a battle in the trenches or it not, we could use a change of pace runner that keeps the defense adjusting their style of play and opens up the options in our play book. Like I said, we have shown that, yes, we can be dangerous in the spread and in the power attack but our best drives mix them. Balance and variety in our playcalling is the way to success. We seen what happened last game when we abandoned the run. Disaster!
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#28 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:19 pm

Here's someone else's criticism of the Raiders' playcalling around the power run game: http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oakland-raiders-kansas-city-chiefs-bill-musgrave-offensive-coordinator-hire-120815

"I'm Decayed"
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#29 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:50 am

benchmobbin02 wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:Thorpe inactive. DJ will play the nickel but Raiders will try to hide him on the right outside, with Carrie playing the slot on passing downs. Don't eff up this chance DJ!

Wrong. Thorpe is active. McGill is out again with the ankle injury.

BTW Thorpe played one snap last Sunday...
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#30 » by benchmobbin02 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:55 am

Twinkie defense wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
Twinkie defense wrote:Thorpe inactive. DJ will play the nickel but Raiders will try to hide him on the right outside, with Carrie playing the slot on passing downs. Don't eff up this chance DJ!

Wrong. Thorpe is active. McGill is out again with the ankle injury.

BTW Thorpe played one snap last Sunday...

Okay, and...
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#31 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:13 am

Okay, that's pretty inactive :)

"I'm Decayed"
benchmobbin02