What Coaches Would You Like to Replace JDR?

Moderator: HMFFL

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

What Coaches Would You Like to Replace JDR? 

Post#1 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:29 am

Bruce Arians?
Pat Shurmur?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: What Coaches Would You Like to Replace JDR? 

Post#2 » by Neddy » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:28 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Bruce Arians?
Pat Shurmur?

ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#3 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:04 pm

Goodness gracious.

Chucky can probably fix Carr. Just make sure we hire a good DC.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#4 » by Neddy » Mon Jan 1, 2018 1:18 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Goodness gracious.

I don't think DC matters one bit until we get more talent on the roster.

we need a better, consistent nose tackle/interior lineman. Vanderdoes is not bad for a third rounder, maybe he will continue to develop, as well as undersized and overachieving backup DT in Autry. but we need better talent there. we need cornerbacks. two starters to be exact. I like Narvarro Bowman to come back at a reasonable price. hopefully the suspension on Aldon Smith comes to an end by 2018. but we really need to address the defensive side via draft better. Reggie has done a great job so far, but he is not without his misses. DJ Hayden was a total waste of a first rounder. so was Menelik Watson. we also traded away Sio Moore. Tyler Wilson was a total gamble that didn't pay off either. Nick Kasa?

come to think of it, the entire 2013 draft was a total waste. glad Reggie has made vast improvements since 2014 draft to redeem himself with Mack and Carr, but Carr as you said, will need some psychological counseling. it is so obvious he has the case of his brother David's fear of getting hit after breaking a couple of bones within a matter of 12 calendar months.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#5 » by Neddy » Mon Jan 1, 2018 3:40 am

looks like Mark Davis is offering a piece of the ownership to lure Chucky back in the fold.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#6 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Jan 1, 2018 11:31 pm

Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Goodness gracious.

I don't think DC matters one bit until we get more talent on the roster.

we need a better, consistent nose tackle/interior lineman. Vanderdoes is not bad for a third rounder, maybe he will continue to develop, as well as undersized and overachieving backup DT in Autry. but we need better talent there. we need cornerbacks. two starters to be exact. I like Narvarro Bowman to come back at a reasonable price. hopefully the suspension on Aldon Smith comes to an end by 2018. but we really need to address the defensive side via draft better. Reggie has done a great job so far, but he is not without his misses. DJ Hayden was a total waste of a first rounder. so was Menelik Watson. we also traded away Sio Moore. Tyler Wilson was a total gamble that didn't pay off either. Nick Kasa?

come to think of it, the entire 2013 draft was a total waste. glad Reggie has made vast improvements since 2014 draft to redeem himself with Mack and Carr, but Carr as you said, will need some psychological counseling. it is so obvious he has the case of his brother David's fear of getting hit after breaking a couple of bones within a matter of 12 calendar months.

I disagree. I dont think the defense is so far away talent wise. We also had injuries. Just going from a completely incompetent DC in KNJ (smfh) to Pagano did wonders and honestly made me think what would it look like if Pagano was DC from jump.

I do want to draft defense but I don’t want that to be confused with the idea that a much better DC could take this current Defensive roster sans injury and make it pretty good (not elite).

From the mocks and where I expect people to go, I like DaRon Payne or Roquan Smith. To my point, I think a good DC plus hitting on a talent like Payne can actually make us an elite defense...not just good.

The 2013 draft was a barren wasteland. It’s possibly the most talent deprived draft in over a decade....probably the last 20 years. That’s evident based on 2 Tackles going #1 and 2 overall....3 tackles in the top 5. Only one of them is any good. If it was redrafted, I’m not sure who would go first...Xavier Rhodes???

Reggie said that if he couldnt trade back from 3 to 12 that year, he would have taken Hayden at #3. Was he right on Hayden or those other guys? No. But he’s been much better than that dump of a draft every year since...and I cant really fault him for thinking that way given how this draft played out.

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#7 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Jan 1, 2018 11:35 pm

The best part of Gruden coming is that I think the development side of things will get better.

I love Karl Joseph but are we getting the most out of him? I definitely think a Fangio, Guenther, Gus Bradley can help him become the safety he is supposed to be...as opposed to spending an entire camp with a guy like KNJ.

Neddy
RealGM

Post#8 » by Neddy » Tue Jan 2, 2018 3:50 am

Quake Griffin wrote:The best part of Gruden coming is that I think the development side of things will get better.

I love Karl Joseph but are we getting the most out of him? I definitely think a Fangio, Guenther, Gus Bradley can help him become the safety he is supposed to be...as opposed to spending an entire camp with a guy like KNJ.

I love Chucky coming back, but one thing he was always problematic, was that he loves veterans and does not invest into developing youth in his first time around here.
ehhhhh f it.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#9 » by FNQ » Tue Jan 2, 2018 8:12 pm

Its crazy that this is happening. A big time power move by Mark Davis, who I think is proving that he's an active owner, and absolutely deserves this team.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#10 » by FNQ » Tue Jan 2, 2018 8:16 pm

Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:The best part of Gruden coming is that I think the development side of things will get better.

I love Chucky coming back, but one thing he was always problematic, was that he loves veterans and does not invest into developing youth in his first time around here.

He doesnt spend time developing youth by playing them, they had to earn their way onto the field. Guys like Woodson/Matt Stinchcomb/Barry Sims made it onto the field their rookie year, others like Jerry Porter didn't. Cant really remember a guy that was kept off the field by Gruden as a young player who showed out under any other coach.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#11 » by Neddy » Wed Jan 3, 2018 3:46 am

FNQ wrote:
Neddy wrote:

He doesnt spend time developing youth by playing them, they had to earn their way onto the field. Guys like Woodson/Matt Stinchcomb/Barry Sims made it onto the field their rookie year, others like Jerry Porter didn't. Cant really remember a guy that was kept off the field by Gruden as a young player who showed out under any other coach.

yeah that's exactly what I am saying. I love Chucky, I really do. I have never wavered my faith that someday he would return back to the raidernation, but one weakness of his coaching DNA has always been his youth development, or lack there of. and we are a team in need of more talent, and this season was actually a good shot in the arm to gab the 9/10th pick in the draft to restock our roster.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#12 » by Neddy » Wed Jan 3, 2018 3:48 am

FNQ wrote:Its crazy that this is happening. A big time power move by Mark Davis, who I think is proving that he's an active owner, and absolutely deserves this team.

Mark might look like one of the stooges, but he's got the same set of balls of his father, just younger and more in tuned with this generation.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#13 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jan 3, 2018 4:44 am

Neddy wrote:

Couple of things.

1) Under his last tenure, he revived (read:developed) a number of player’s careers that were slept on or forgotten (Wheatley, Kennedy come to mind). They were not rookies but that is still development imo.

2) It’s my understanding Reggie is still in charge of personnel and Gruden will have “input.” The way the roster is set up, Gruden will have to develop young players. There’s simply not enough conceivable FA signees available for this not to be the case.

The issue I see more is him and Reggie’s relationship and possibly their philosophies butting heads but I cant see drafting DaRon Payne and Gruden not putting him out there/ having our DC develop him.

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#14 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jan 3, 2018 5:09 am

Btw, I believe are getting 4 compensatory picks....maybe 3. I’m not sure if Jared Cook cancels one out.

This should give us more flexibility in this year’s draft (you can trade these picks now)....or we can just use them and hope to strike gold.

Neddy
RealGM

Post#15 » by Neddy » Wed Jan 3, 2018 5:30 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:

Couple of things.

1) Under his last tenure, he revived (read:developed) a number of player’s careers that were slept on or forgotten (Wheatley, Kennedy come to mind). They were not rookies but that is still development imo.

2) It’s my understanding Reggie is still in charge of personnel and Gruden will have “input.” The way the roster is set up, Gruden will have to develop young players. There’s simply not enough conceivable FA signees available for this not to be the case.

The issue I see more is him and Reggie’s relationship and possibly their philosophies butting heads but I cant see drafting DaRon Payne and Gruden not putting him out there/ having our DC develop him.

remember that was addressed in past tense.

really tho, we could not have a better man to coach this team to superbowl.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Las Vegas Raiders