Moderator: JaysRule15

davkad
Banned User
And1: 0

Series Thread: Jays vs Sox: series lost 2-1 

Post#1 » by davkad » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:52 pm

Dice-K mania comes to Toronto
Boston (6-4) at Toronto (7-5), Tuesday, 7:07 p.m. ET

Dice-K mania is about to invade Toronto.

Red Sox starter and Japanese sensation Daisuke Matsuzaka is scheduled to take the hill against the Blue Jays on Tuesday night at Rogers Centre. Matsuzaka was originally supposed to pitch on Monday against the Angels, but that changed when the Red Sox had a game against the Mariners rained out last week. As a result, Matsuzaka's start was pushed back by one day.

"I saw him in Spring Training a lot, obviously. All his games were on TV," Jays center fielder Vernon Wells said. "I'm sure he's going to be as good as advertised. We'll just have to be better."

Blue Jays hitters will be facing Matsuzaka for the first time. Wells saw the right-hander pitch in 2004 when he headed overseas for Major League Baseball's Japan All-Star series. Wells doesn't expect that limited experience to be much use on Tuesday, though.

"Nothing helps until you get into the box against guys you haven't seen before," Wells said. "It takes a couple of at-bats to get an idea of what all their pitches are and what they're going to do. He's going to be no different."

Matsuzaka has looked impressive so far this season. In his last start, he surrendered three runs on eight hits over seven innings of work against the Mariners. He's struck out 14 and walked only two in his first two outings, in which opponents have posted a .240 batting average against him.

Countering for Toronto will be left-hander Gustavo Chacin. The 26-year-old does not have overpowering stuff, but he's continued to do enough to win. The lefty picked up the victory in his last start versus the Royals, giving up three runs on five hits over five innings.

If there is a save opportunity for the Jays on Tuesday night, manager John Gibbons will hand the ball to Jason Frasor. The 29-year-old was named the new Jays closer after B.J. Ryan was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left elbow. The role will be familiar to Frasor, who recorded 17 saves with a 4.08 ERA for Toronto in 2004.

"Frasor's the guy we're going to turn it over to," said Gibbons, who could also turn to Casey Janssen, Shaun Marcum or others for additional help. "They'll all have a hand in it somehow, but Frasor is the one with the experience heading in."

Third baseman Troy Glaus could make his return to the lineup on Tuesday. He has been day-to-day with a tight hamstring and a bone spur in his left heel. Glaus last appeared in a game on Thursday, but had to leave in the third inning because of the injuries. If Glaus is still unable to play, Toronto will consider placing him on the 15-day DL.
evilRyu
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#2 » by evilRyu » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:48 pm

let's go jays..

first game against division rival.. let's take care of business!
CB4_Toronto_Raptors
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Post#3 » by CB4_Toronto_Raptors » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:42 am

Dice-K's a commin' :eyebrows:
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#4 » by OldNo7 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:04 pm

Fans, be ready to get hosed this game. Chacin vs the Red Sox cant be pretty, let alone our guys' first look at Dice.
Twitter: @NickObergan
davkad
Banned User

Post#5 » by davkad » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:42 pm

Bosh, the gamethreads are gonna be series-based now?

i think it's a good idea- makes it easier for you, and let's the threads actually amount to some discussion....

so if thye win, i make gameday 2 in this thread?
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by OldNo7 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:58 pm

Yeah I posted that in the last game thread that we are going to series threads until the discussion picks up enough to warrant separate threads. After each game if you want to do an updated post with pitching matchups and we can change the title that would be great. Something like Red Sox Series: 1-0 Sox. Game 2 Wednesday (pg3)
beater97
Starter

Post#7 » by beater97 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:07 pm

I got a good feeling about tonights game. Jays are gonna rough up Dice K big time.

I am actually very anxious to get my first look at Dice K and see what everyone is talking about. Can't wait, should be a good game if Chacin plays well.
Holmes
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#8 » by Holmes » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:15 pm

beater97 wrote:I got a good feeling about tonights game. Jays are gonna rough up Dice K big time.

I am actually very anxious to get my first look at Dice K and see what everyone is talking about. Can't wait, should be a good game if Chacin plays well.

How can you have a good feeling about tonights game and also anxious to see what everyone is talking about in regards to Matsuzaka?

If he pitches exactly like what everyone is talking about then frankly there won't be any good feelings coming out from tonights game.
The Iceman
Sophomore

Post#9 » by The Iceman » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:35 pm

Since the Raps are playing a meaningless game tonight, I'll be paying close attention to tonight's game. Finally I can see Dice-K pitch for the first time. This should be a good series.

Go Jays Go!
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by OldNo7 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:01 pm

I saw Dice K against KC in his first start and his offspeed stuff is just filthy. Not to mention he has rise on his fastball.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#11 » by Crowned » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:39 pm

Yeah, he's had some pretty good movement on some of these pitches thus far.
deadlee
Ballboy

Post#12 » by deadlee » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:51 pm

chacin gets out of a jam. that works for me.. just 1 huge homer by pena..

lets get em back!
stro4swift
Starter

Post#13 » by stro4swift » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:48 am

good game, great win! Chacin with a great start and Frasor with the save :clap:
RAPTORS4LIFE4
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by RAPTORS4LIFE4 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:07 am

Nice to see the Jays win a game while only getting three hits and it's unbelievable how well Towers and now Chacin pitched the last few games.

Ed Davis Delivers a Pizza-------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6pHAJfAHQ0
Andrea>Dirk
Bench Warmer

Post#15 » by Andrea>Dirk » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:13 am

Great pitching game for both teams...nice to see towers and chacin pitch well. Lets go ohka!
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by OldNo7 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:13 am

Wow, totally didnt expect to win this one, nor hold the Sox to 1 run.

Back to back good pitching performances by Chacin and Towers is very nice to see. Will it be a regular thing, or a tease?
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#17 » by Michael Bradley » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:35 am

Chacin's home run rate is worrisome, but he seems to find a way to keep his team in the game, and in this case win. That's really all we can hope for at this point, especially from Chacin, Towers, and Ohka. We have to count on Roy and AJ to be aces and the other 3 to keep us in games. So far so good with Chacin and Towers. Hopefully Ohka improves.
Holmes
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#18 » by Holmes » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:40 am

Chacin now has given up 1 walk in 17 innings. Impressive.
davkad
Banned User

Post#19 » by davkad » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:42 am

Michael Bradley wrote:Chacin's home run rate is worrisome, but he seems to find a way to keep his team in the game, and in this case win. That's really all we can hope for at this point, especially from Chacin, Towers, and Ohka. We have to count on Roy and AJ to be aces and the other 3 to keep us in games. So far so good with Chacin and Towers. Hopefully Ohka improves.

I'll take 6 hits, 1 hr (only ER of the game!) from Chacin... EDIT: They key is that he pitched 6.2 innings... that's solid for Chacin.

great game from the Jays... i probly wasn't the only guy who swallowed extremely hard when Jannsen walked drew, and then almost Lugo on 4 pitches... luckily got outa that one with the line-drive snare.

Great game - whenver you can win against the Sox with only 2 runs on the board, and Dice-K on the mound, and without your closer... just a great win.
davkad
Banned User

Post#20 » by davkad » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:46 am

Summary: Daisuke Mastuzaka struck out 10 in six innings, allowed just three hits and three walks, but the Blue Jays took advantage of Dice K's wild pitching in the fourth, scoring off two of the three hits allowed.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays