ImageImage

Steelers trade Holmes for 5th round pick?

Moderator: SD2042

el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Steelers trade Holmes for 5th round pick? 

Post#1 » by el loco » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:58 am

AP - The Jets acquired wide receiver Santonio Holmes from the Steelers on Sunday night for a fifth-round draft pick this month, according to a person familiar with the deal.

The person spoke with The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the teams had yet to announce the trade.

I saw this on the wiretap, and I hope it turns out to be false.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Re: Steelers trade Holmes for 5th round pick? 

Post#2 » by SD2042 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:27 pm

I'm afraid not loco. Looks to be true. I understand that an owner wishes to have his players to have discipline and pride in their character. Sure Holmes has his scars, but the guy isn't a major headcase like TO. I think the Steelers may have torpedo themselves in the WR core by trading Holmes for a 5th round pick. He was Big Ben's main option and to see him get traded off like that is really perplexing to me. Are the Steelers confident that Mike Wallace can step into Holmes shoes and make a play being Big Ben's #1 option? I respect what Mike did on the field last season and his potentil of becoming a good if not great WR. It's just that right now, I'm not feeling the move the Steelers did with Holmes today. This may come back and bit them in the ass.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#3 » by el loco » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:24 pm

It kinda sorta sends a racist message to me. Big Ben has had more off the field issues than Holmes has had, yet Big Ben is still with the team. I don't like the trade at all to be honest about it. You don't trade a former number 1 pick and a Super Bowl MVP who is still in his prime for a 5th round pick. That is bad business imo. It is rumored that if they couldn't trade him, they were going to waive him.

Jeff Reed has had a few DUI's and he wasn't let go, instead he was tagged, so they wouldn't lose him. Oh yeah, he is also white.

Holmes is going to be suspended for the first 4 games of the season. Big Ben has to meet with Mr. Goodell next. The Steelers have added two receivers during free agency (Arnaz Battle and Randel El is back with the team now). Last night, when I 1st learned of the Holmes deal, Yahoo Sports said that Leon Washington would also be a part of the trade, but today I see nothing mentioned about him.

Statement by Steelers President Art Rooney II

The investigation process in Georgia has been deliberate and the District Attorney’s decision regarding Ben Roethlisberger speaks for itself.

During the past few weeks I have met with Ben on a number of occasions, not only to discuss this incident, but also to discuss his commitment to making sure something like this never happens again. The Pittsburgh Steelers take the conduct of players and staff very seriously. Ben will now have to work hard to earn back the respect and trust of Steelers fans, and to live up to the leadership responsibilities we all expect of him.

In the coming days Ben will meet with Commissioner Goodell to discuss his resolve to abide by the league’s personal conduct standards. After consultation with the Commissioner, our organization will determine the next steps in this process.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... a3b289866d

Steelers Confirm Santonio Holmes Trade

The Pittsburgh Steelers confirm that wide receiver Santonio Holmes has been traded to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Steelers Director of Football Operations, Kevin Colbert said: “We have agreed to trade Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets. We believe the move is in the best interests of the Pittsburgh Steelers.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... 18763c59cb

If you are white and play for the Steelers, you get free pass after free pass, but if you are black your ass will get shipped out for next to nothing. Talk about a double standard :(
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#4 » by SD2042 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:03 pm

It would be in poor taste if the race card was thrown in considering how things have fallen in the Steelers favor this offseason. Plus you make a good point about Jeff Reed and his history of his public drinking. How is that he hasn't been suspended after all this time. And as for Big Ben, as much as I like his skills on the field, the guy needs to face up to the consequences of his actions. It;s like each offseason it's always something with the guy. Motorcycle accident that could've handicap him and his career like Jay Williams when he was with the Bulls. Now these bac2bac accusations of rape. As a high profile celeb or athlete, you have to be responsible for your actions and keep in mind that not everybody you meet or places you frequent will come with good intentions so in the best interest of common sense, be smart and keep away from ppl or places that you know can get you into trouble.

Return to Pittsburgh Steelers