What is your prediction of the Chargers record?

Moderator: bwgood77

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

What is your prediction of the Chargers record? 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:54 pm

1 Mon, Sep 8 @ Arizona L
2 Sun, Sep 14 vs Seattle L
3 Sun, Sep 21 @ Buffalo W
4 Sun, Sep 28 vs Jacksonville W
5 Sun, Oct 5 vs New York W
6 Sun, Oct 12 @ Oakland W
7 Sun, Oct 19 vs Kansas City W
8 Thu, Oct 23 @ Denver L
9 Sun, Nov 9 @ Miami W
10 BYE WEEK
11 Sun, Nov 16 vs Oakland W
12 Sun, Nov 23 vs St. Louis W
13 Sun, Nov 30 @ Baltimore W
14 Sun, Dec 7 vs New England W
15 Sun, Dec 14 vs Denver W
16 Sat, Dec 20 @ San Francisco L
17 Sun, Dec 28 @ Kansas City L

That puts them at 11-5. I actually expect it to be more like 10-6 or MAYBE 9-7 with possible losses @ Miami, Baltimore or against NE or Denver at home, but I think they should beat all those teams except possibly the latter two.

I have them off to a slow start which always seems to be Rivers habit...he never seems to get urgent until it's almost too late, but hopefully that changes this year.

I found it interesting that on Bill Simmons podcast with Cousin Sal predicting each division, Sal predicted the Chargers to go to the Super Bowl. Simmons was high on SD as well.

Bill and Sal aren’t as hot on the Broncos as Vegas is and think the Chargers, at the odds they are getting now, are a great bet to win the division and potentially get into the AFC Championship Game and maybe even the Super Bowl.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppjxdVNibj8[/youtube]

Here is another interesting article talking about how Rivers is the best QB of the 2004 draft class.

http://grantland.com/features/philip-ri ... nfl-draft/
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Re: What is your prediction of the Chargers record? 

Post#2 » by Morris_Shatford » Fri Sep 5, 2014 4:14 pm

I think it gets a bit easier after the Bye week;
I am hopeful that we could be 10-6, but October could break a lot of ways;
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,762

Post#3 » by matt131 » Mon Sep 8, 2014 6:35 pm

These are my predictions (hopefully no jinxing happens :P)
1 Mon, Sep 8 @ Arizona W
6 Sun, Oct 12 @ Oakland L
8 Thu, Oct 23 @ Denver L
9 Sun, Nov 9 @ Miami L
10 BYE WEEK
14 Sun, Dec 7 vs New England L
16 Sat, Dec 20 @ San Francisco W
17 Sun, Dec 28 @ Kansas City W

While 11-5 looks a little too good, let's run down the schedule (obviously, I am writing this the day of our first game, so I have more infer than you did, bwgood77, in August)

1 - W Arizona may be playing without Ellington which would be a huge break for us. As long as Rivers keeps his passes sharp and accurate (not too many deep passes, no floaters) and our three-headed rushing attack gets some momentum going, the Card's D can be worn down a bit. This game will ultimately come down to us making sure Fitz doesn't simply tear up our secondary.
2 - L Seattle is Seattle. Only hope for us is we're playing at the Q. Too early in the season to beat a team that good.
3 - W Buffalo has to be taken seriously, but as long as our offense performs consistently, we'll be fine
4 - W Jacksonville is another team that you cannot fall asleep on. Keep our running game going, find ways to end drives with TDs and not just FGs, and we'll be good.
5 - W Jets always have tough D, but their offense is pretty horrible. Judging from what even the Raiders could do to the Jets, I think we just need to focus and we'll get the win.
6 - L This is a pick I hope isn't correct, but for some reason, the Chargers can forget how to play football when facing the Raiders. It's annoying as hell, but I think the Raiders could take 1 of 2 against the Chargers, perhaps the game in Oakland. However, if the Chargers can beat them twice, it'll show we're a mentally tougher team than last year.
7 - W Kansas City looked terrible in week 1. They lost to Tennessee. Their offense couldn't get going and their defense was not dominant like last year. We can get the W.
8 - L I think we can beat Denver, but not at mile high. It should be a hell of a game, but I think the Broncos escape with the win here.
9 - L Miami looked tough in the season opener against NE. Like really tough. Their defense looked stout and their running game was excellent. I think this spells trouble for the Chargers. If it was a home game, I'd say we would win, but in Miami and coming off a loss to Denver, I think we let this one get away from us.
11 - W Coming off a bye, playing at home, wanting revenge. Chargers easily beat the Raiders
12 - W St. Louis had ZERO offense in game one, and with no Sam Bradford, that isn't going to change. We run away with this one
13 - W Baltimore struggled to score week 1, and there is a lot of distraction around that team. I think this one will be tough, but we are clearly the more talented team, and I see us grinding this one out.
14 - L I just can see us losing this one. Pats are smart and know how to win. Their team didn't look great in week 1, but I think they'll be better by this time.
15 - W Playing Denver in SD, I think we win this matchup. Philip goes off and out-duels Manning. We gain some momentum against them in case we face them in the playoffs.
16 - W San Fran just didn't look scary against Dallas in week one, and they were playing Dallas. After 4 turnovers and 1 defensive score for the 9ers, they got shut out in the second half of the game and ended up with only 21 offensive points on the league's worst defensive team. I think the Chargers can beat 'em.
17 - W We have to beat KC at to keep our mo strong heading into the playoffs. And again, they do no look like the same team from last year. If they're already eliminated from playoff contention at this point, Arrowhead will not be intimidating.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#4 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 1:37 am

matt131 wrote:These are my predictions (hopefully no jinxing happens :P)
1 Mon, Sep 8 @ Arizona W
6 Sun, Oct 12 @ Oakland L
8 Thu, Oct 23 @ Denver L
9 Sun, Nov 9 @ Miami L
10 BYE WEEK
14 Sun, Dec 7 vs New England L
16 Sat, Dec 20 @ San Francisco W
17 Sun, Dec 28 @ Kansas City W

While 11-5 looks a little too good, let's run down the schedule (obviously, I am writing this the day of our first game, so I have more infer than you did, bwgood77, in August)

1 - W Arizona may be playing without Ellington which would be a huge break for us. As long as Rivers keeps his passes sharp and accurate (not too many deep passes, no floaters) and our three-headed rushing attack gets some momentum going, the Card's D can be worn down a bit. This game will ultimately come down to us making sure Fitz doesn't simply tear up our secondary.
2 - L Seattle is Seattle. Only hope for us is we're playing at the Q. Too early in the season to beat a team that good.
3 - W Buffalo has to be taken seriously, but as long as our offense performs consistently, we'll be fine
4 - W Jacksonville is another team that you cannot fall asleep on. Keep our running game going, find ways to end drives with TDs and not just FGs, and we'll be good.
5 - W Jets always have tough D, but their offense is pretty horrible. Judging from what even the Raiders could do to the Jets, I think we just need to focus and we'll get the win.
6 - L This is a pick I hope isn't correct, but for some reason, the Chargers can forget how to play football when facing the Raiders. It's annoying as hell, but I think the Raiders could take 1 of 2 against the Chargers, perhaps the game in Oakland. However, if the Chargers can beat them twice, it'll show we're a mentally tougher team than last year.
7 - W Kansas City looked terrible in week 1. They lost to Tennessee. Their offense couldn't get going and their defense was not dominant like last year. We can get the W.
8 - L I think we can beat Denver, but not at mile high. It should be a hell of a game, but I think the Broncos escape with the win here.
9 - L Miami looked tough in the season opener against NE. Like really tough. Their defense looked stout and their running game was excellent. I think this spells trouble for the Chargers. If it was a home game, I'd say we would win, but in Miami and coming off a loss to Denver, I think we let this one get away from us.
11 - W Coming off a bye, playing at home, wanting revenge. Chargers easily beat the Raiders
12 - W St. Louis had ZERO offense in game one, and with no Sam Bradford, that isn't going to change. We run away with this one
13 - W Baltimore struggled to score week 1, and there is a lot of distraction around that team. I think this one will be tough, but we are clearly the more talented team, and I see us grinding this one out.
14 - L I just can see us losing this one. Pats are smart and know how to win. Their team didn't look great in week 1, but I think they'll be better by this time.
15 - W Playing Denver in SD, I think we win this matchup. Philip goes off and out-duels Manning. We gain some momentum against them in case we face them in the playoffs.
16 - W San Fran just didn't look scary against Dallas in week one, and they were playing Dallas. After 4 turnovers and 1 defensive score for the 9ers, they got shut out in the second half of the game and ended up with only 21 offensive points on the league's worst defensive team. I think the Chargers can beat 'em.
17 - W We have to beat KC at to keep our mo strong heading into the playoffs. And again, they do no look like the same team from last year. If they're already eliminated from playoff contention at this point, Arrowhead will not be intimidating.

Nice details. I will respond (or edit this post) with more depth tomorrow. I do think the AZ game is a toss up, but I think they might be tough. It's tough to know with AZ...starters looked great against Houston in the preseason and drove right down the field with no problems against Watt, Clowney, etc.

But I agree, without Ellington, the Chargers probably have a bit of an edge. That takes away a ton of versatility and a huge weapon for AZ. But he may play.

You around? Is it even worth doing a game thread?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 1:38 am

Morris_Shatford wrote:I think it gets a bit easier after the Bye week;
I am hopeful that we could be 10-6, but October could break a lot of ways;

Yeah, you really never know with the Chargers..they will lose some you don't see and win some you don't expect. You around and going to stay up for the game? Is a game thread worth it tonight?
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by matt131 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 2:16 am

@bwgood77

Yeah, I'm here. You can start a thread, but I think it'd just be us :P haha
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#7 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 2:48 am

matt131 wrote:@bwgood77

Yeah, I'm here. You can start a thread, but I think it'd just be us :P haha

We will see. I tried to notify the other 3-4 Chargers fans I know of here. I'll start one. I may also post here..which has fans of both teams.... but best to sort posts by reverse chronological.. http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/conversat ... 61425dd102
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by matt131 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 5:29 am

*Edit to my predictions: 0-16 these are the SAME OLD FREAKING CHARGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#9 » by bwgood77 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:00 pm

matt131 wrote:*Edit to my predictions: 0-16 these are the SAME OLD FREAKING CHARGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I predicted the 0-2 start because they start slow and AZ is pretty tough, but they still should have won that game. Ultimately, even if they start 0-2, it could help them buckle down and go on a 5 game winning streak. The next five are all very winnable and they are against AFC teams, which are far more important to win for tie breaking purposes.

The two after that are tough road games, but then they get a bye to regroup. Plus, if they lose in Denver, they may bounce back to beat Miami. I still think 5-4 or 6-3 going into the bye.

Return to Los Angeles Chargers