SD @ KC...playoffs on the line...can they do it?

Moderator: bwgood77

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

SD @ KC...playoffs on the line...can they do it? 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:44 am

We need some discussion for this....I mean this is it....you can't talk more in the Suns (or wherever else) thread this weekend than here..
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,422

Re: SD @ KC...playoffs on the line...can they do it? 

Post#2 » by Revived » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:15 am

I think we're better than them. I mean the Steelers just whooped their ass, and the Steelers are another wild card team so if the Chargers wanna show they belong, they have to beat KC. Simple.

Defensively, all we have to do is stack the box and stop Jamal Charles, have an eye on Charles as a receiving threat out of the backfield and keep Alex Smith from scrambling for yardage.

The Chargers have allowed a 100 yard in 10 of their last 12 games. They gave up 355 rushing yards to a core led by the 31 year old Frank Gore and Colin freaking Kaepernick.

Jamal Charles & Alex Smith >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Frank Gore and Colin Kaepernick

STOP THE RUN, MAKE THEM PASS. It really can't be stressed enough.

Offensively, we need to go max protection like we did against Denver. Chiefs have a way better pass rushers than SF. Tamba Halli and Justin Houston are probably licking their chops at the thought of the facing the Chargers O line. We need to keep them from killing Rivers.

I think we'll win, we need it more than them and frankly, we're the more talented team as well. Its gonna come down to coaching and execution.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:03 am

SF88 wrote:I think we're better than them. I mean the Steelers just whooped their ass, and the Steelers are another wild card team so if the Chargers wanna show they belong, they have to beat KC. Simple.

Defensively, all we have to do is stack the box and stop Jamal Charles, have an eye on Charles as a receiving threat out of the backfield and keep Alex Smith from scrambling for yardage.

The Chargers have allowed a 100 yard in 10 of their last 12 games. They gave up 355 rushing yards to a core led by the 31 year old Frank Gore and Colin freaking Kaepernick.

Jamal Charles & Alex Smith >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Frank Gore and Colin Kaepernick

Offensively, we need to go max protection like we did against Denver. Chiefs have a way better pass rushers than SF. Tamba Halli and Justin Houston are probably licking their chops at the thought of the facing the Chargers O line. We need to keep them from killing Rivers.

I think we'll win, we need it more than them and frankly, we're the more talented team as well. Its gonna come down to coaching and execution.

I think our D is playing miles ahead of what they were doing the first time they met, where Richard Marshall probably cost us the game. With the emergence of Dontrelle Inman, hopefully he can play a large role. It would be nice to have Mathews but I think Rivers plays his best with his back against the wall. This D is confident. Our D has been solid other than those two big runs last week, which Smith can't do. So yes, stop Charles and don't let him break one like Gore did and I feel pretty good about it.

Would you rather go to Pitt or Cincy for the WC?
Revived
RealGM

Post#4 » by Revived » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:22 am

bwgood77 wrote:
SF88 wrote:I think we're better than them. I mean the Steelers just whooped their ass, and the Steelers are another wild card team so if the Chargers wanna show they belong, they have to beat KC. Simple.

I think our D is playing miles ahead of what they were doing the first time they met, where Richard Marshall probably cost us the game. With the emergence of Dontrelle Inman, hopefully he can play a large role. It would be nice to have Mathews but I think Rivers plays his best with his back against the wall. This D is confident. Our D has been solid other than those two big runs last week, which Smith can't do. So yes, stop Charles and don't let him break one like Gore did and I feel pretty good about it.

Would you rather go to Pitt or Cincy for the WC?

Cincinnati. Piitsbrugh isn't an easy place to play in. We have beat the Bengals in Cincinnati last year.
Revived
RealGM

Post#5 » by Revived » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:26 am

bwgood77 wrote:...did you see Alex Smith is out Sunday? That is huge in one respect, but SD always seems to crap their pants when things look easy....and they didn't exactly play well against KC in their win and get in game last year despite playing backups. I guess it wasn't win and get in though in hindsight....they needed a few teams to lose and miraculously a couple of teams lost games they would have thought they should win. Rivers typically plays his best when his back is against the wall though, so hopefully they pull it off.

In some ways I'd love them to beat Pitt (if SD makes the playoffs), as they have been one team they have had tough times against. I have a feeling Cincy will finally win a playoff game this year too...they seem tougher. But that SD D is looking good. Just wish Keenan Allen was healthy (and Ryan Mathews) but Inman looks like the real deal.

Yea this is a game that we really should win. Backup QB vs a hot Chargers team. Win and we're in.

Our guys have to come out with energy and fire. Game will depend on coaching, preparation and execution.

Our run D is awful so Jamal Charles probably gonna go off if we ain't ready.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:55 pm

SF88 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:...did you see Alex Smith is out Sunday? That is huge in one respect, but SD always seems to crap their pants when things look easy....and they didn't exactly play well against KC in their win and get in game last year despite playing backups. I guess it wasn't win and get in though in hindsight....they needed a few teams to lose and miraculously a couple of teams lost games they would have thought they should win. Rivers typically plays his best when his back is against the wall though, so hopefully they pull it off.

In some ways I'd love them to beat Pitt (if SD makes the playoffs), as they have been one team they have had tough times against. I have a feeling Cincy will finally win a playoff game this year too...they seem tougher. But that SD D is looking good. Just wish Keenan Allen was healthy (and Ryan Mathews) but Inman looks like the real deal.

Yea this is a game that we really should win. Backup QB vs a hot Chargers team. Win and we're in.

Our guys have to come out with energy and fire. Game will depend on coaching, preparation and execution.

Our run D is awful so Jamal Charles probably gonna go off if we ain't ready.

Seems like the run d has been better lately though and we can probably really stack the box.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

Post#7 » by matt131 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:44 am

Again, apologies for my absence, but I just finished finals a week ago.

Anywho....this upcoming game seems all too familiar. Chargers need a win, Chiefs with their backup QB...haha

But as y'all have said: stop the run and force the pass. Granted, easier said than done when you're facing Jamaal Charles and Knile Davis. But I do like the way our defense has played as of late. Not perfect, but pretty good. I also think it'll be important for us to pile on the points EARLY. I love Rivers' late-game heroics, but the more we score, and the earlier we do it, the more we will force the Chiefs to start chucking the ball. I'd LOVE to see Flowers score on a pick-six this game. What a way to ride into the playoffs.

As for the wild card matchup....in all honesty, I hope the Bengals win and the Raiders beat the Broncos. We'd then be playing Peyton at the absolute perfect time. Okay, I am kinda joking, but those Broncos have looked very vulnerable as of late. If we come into the playoffs hot off a pivotal win in KC and Denver comes in off a loss to the most vile team in the NFL, I'd have to believe we could take them even at Mile High. I personally think facing Pittsburg would be hardest for us. Bell + Brown = too many points scored on us. So: IND beats Pit at Lucas Oil in a shootout, SD beats Den at Mile High in a second half blowout. The following week, Ciny's D takes care of the turnover-prone Andrew Luck, and the Bolts play slightly better offense and the same tough D as they did in the regular season against the Pats and this time beat them in the playoffs. And then Andy Dalton turns it over 6 times to our D in the AFC championship game and we go on to face the Cowboys in the Super Bowl. hahaha but in all seriousness, let's focus on beating the Chiefs and playing tough D in the playoffs. Hopefully Mathews can come back for our Wild Card game. Even an average run game combined with Phil's elevated play would be golden.

Bolt Up!!
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by matt131 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:50 pm

man this is embarrassing
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by matt131 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:52 pm

what a crappy effort.
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by matt131 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:01 pm

STOP RUNNING! I don't care about a balanced attack. THROW THE FREAKING BALL
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by matt131 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:02 pm

F*** you offensive line. The Chiefs are good, but this is a PLAYOFF game for us. BLOCK
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by matt131 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:07 pm

No one on our team showed up today. What a pathetic way to end the season. I think the biggest thing for us this offseason will be getting healthy. We still need an elite pass rusher and Ryan Mathews has yet to stay healthy during any pivotal stretch of his career. Something needs to change. We've been "right there" two years in a row now, but we have yet to truly compete. And the Suns are basically a .500 team. haha sometimes sports just suck
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by matt131 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:09 pm

haha sorry for the negativity (if anyone is even on here), I'm just upset.
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by matt131 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:15 pm

man its like the chiefs have 15 guys on the field and we only have 2
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by matt131 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:18 pm

not to keep going, but it's like our O-line played a game earlier this morning and the chiefs haven't played since two weeks ago.
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by matt131 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:20 pm

Also, McCoy, are you KIDDING ME?!?! What the hell is that FG attempt? I'm sorry but I would have totally gone for it on 4th down. I don't care. Even if we scored the 3 points, that wouldn't have done anything. At that point, just chuck it to Gates and pray.
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by matt131 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:23 pm

game over
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by matt131 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:23 pm

seriously, what a PATHETIC effort by these losers. I still love them, but NO ONE showed up today. I'm even mad at the play calling. Just terrible all around.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#19 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:39 pm

I'm in Pennsylvania so I can't watch the game. I see that the Chiefs have been leading all game. My guess is that we haven't shown up and have put in a disappointing effort. It's hard for me to believe that we're struggling against a team with their backup QB.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by matt131 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:45 pm

thanumba2clippersfan wrote:I'm in Pennsylvania so I can't watch the game. I see that the Chiefs have been leading all game. My guess is that we haven't shown up and have put in a disappointing effort. It's hard for me to believe that we're struggling against a team with their backup QB.

To be honest, the Chiefs are one team that don't really miss a beat with their backup QB. Alex Smith doesn't do anything special. All the backup has to do is check it down to the RBs and throw short to the tight ends (as does Alex Smith every game). What's pissing me off is the lack of protection and the lack of a sense of urgency from the entire team. Yes, Rivers and Weddle performed a miracle last week, but you can't rely on that happening again. We HAVE to play hard the ENTIRE game.

Return to Los Angeles Chargers