2020 Draft

Moderator: bwgood77

matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

2020 Draft 

Post#1 » by matt131 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:21 pm

Perhaps I am just starving for some new sports content, but I am more excited for this draft than any other NFL draft in my lifetime. It is also a pivot point for the Chargers in that we have moved on from Rivers, but we are also still a fairly talented team.

I am not a big college football fan and know very little about most of the players, but I have to say...I am rooting pretty hard for us to land Tua on draft night. I think he would be the big name we need to bring some relevance to the not-San Diego Chargers. I think Tua would bring with him a fair amount of fans and would make our team incredibly fun to root for. I doubt he would start in year one, but we, as a franchise, would have a clear timeline in place for when we expect to be a highly competitive team and we, as fans, would have hope that we will be a good team for a long time, assuming Tua pans out.

And I get it, that is a big assumption to make. The guy has been nothing but injured. But dang, when he isn't injured, the dude is amazing. His stats are ridiculous. It also sounds amazing to have a mobile QB after watching Rivers unable to move for so many years. One of the main reasons I support drafting Tua is that I want nothing to do with Herbert. While Tua has massive star potential, I think Herbert has massive Bust potential. I would hate to draft a QB that doesn't work out because he sucks as opposed to him being injured.

My preference, then, if we are not drafting Tua, would be to draft Isaiah Simmons. Pairing him with Derwin James would be ridiculously amazing. He would make our defense so versatile and athletic. To have Bosa, Ingram, James, and Simmons would mean we have one of the best defensive units in the league. I am not sure that would necessarily make our team one of the best in the league as I do not trust Tyrod Taylor that much. It seems like Anthony Lynn is sold on Taylor, but I'll believe it when i see it.

So, basically, I am excited to see what happens because I think our team can improve tremendously in this draft. I also think we can remain very mediocre if we draft poorly. We'll see what happens, but this is the most excited I've been for the Chargers in a long time.
matt131
Lead Assistant

Re: 2020 Draft 

Post#2 » by matt131 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:16 pm

well, that sucked
nfliscoolllll
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by nfliscoolllll » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:41 am

well we are not able to actually go and watch the game .... and this is not such a good idea !
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,251

Post#4 » by TheJordanRule » Sun May 2, 2021 9:17 pm

matt131 wrote:well, that sucked

Do you still feel the same way a year later?
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by matt131 » Sun May 2, 2021 9:52 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:

Haha I am SOOOOOOOOO happy to have been proven wrong. Justin Herbert surprised most everybody with one of the greatest (if not, THE greatest) rookie seasons for a QB statistically. I obviously am just an armchair GM and I've never played football on a team so I have really no idea what the traits of a good QB prospect are (and apparently neither do the Dolphins lol!)

Anywho, I am beyond excited for this year. Slater and Samuel Jr. are amazing draft picks and I will wait to see what Staley and Lombardi can get out of the other defensive and offensive picks. I think Staley has an amazing defensive game plan that gets the most out of his available personnel, so that should mean good things for our draft picks.

Praying that the Rodgers-to-Denver rumors are all fake. Not sure I can live knowing that the Chargers have Mahomes AND Rodgers in their division. That would truly suck
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,251

Post#6 » by TheJordanRule » Tue May 4, 2021 2:21 pm

matt131 wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:

Haha I am SOOOOOOOOO happy to have been proven wrong. Justin Herbert surprised most everybody with one of the greatest (if not, THE greatest) rookie seasons for a QB statistically. I obviously am just an armchair GM and I've never played football on a team so I have really no idea what the traits of a good QB prospect are (and apparently neither do the Dolphins lol!)

Anywho, I am beyond excited for this year. Slater and Samuel Jr. are amazing draft picks and I will wait to see what Staley and Lombardi can get out of the other defensive and offensive picks. I think Staley has an amazing defensive game plan that gets the most out of his available personnel, so that should mean good things for our draft picks.

Praying that the Rodgers-to-Denver rumors are all fake. Not sure I can live knowing that the Chargers have Mahomes AND Rodgers in their division. That would truly suck

I didn't realize what we had in Justin on Draft Day either. LOVE what we did this year. We needed Slater in the worst way. If we can protect Justin's blindside, Justin's second season should be even better-- and he was playing at an MVP level last year. I agree that Samuel Jr. is a beast. The rest of our draft really seemed mediocre except for Rumph who was a value pick in the 4th. We went with WRs and RBs who don't really have a whole lot of speed. A TE who hasn't demonstrated any ability to catch. We only addressed safety in the 7th round. Etc.
matt131
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by matt131 » Tue May 4, 2021 9:36 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:
matt131 wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:

I didn't realize what we had in Justin on Draft Day either. LOVE what we did this year. We needed Slater in the worst way. If we can protect Justin's blindside, Justin's second season should be even better-- and he was playing at an MVP level last year. I agree that Samuel Jr. is a beast. The rest of our draft really seemed mediocre except for Rumph who was a value pick in the 4th. We went with WRs and RBs who don't really have a whole lot of speed. A TE who hasn't demonstrated any ability to catch. We only addressed safety in the 7th round. Etc.
Yeah Tom Telesco always has some funny picks, especially in the 3rd round.

Palmer looks to be much better than his stats. Garbage QBs at Tennessee and he runs really good routes. Learning from Keenan will be great. His first comment when Staley called him to say they drafted him was that he wanted the playbook right away. Good attitude.

The TE pick was strange for sure. A safety there would have been nice. I imagine we could have drafted the same TE in a later round.

Seems like we drafted guys with whom we had a direct connection (through current coaches) and who played in the senior bowl. I imagine getting solid info was tougher this year than most.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 835

Post#8 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue May 4, 2021 9:53 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

If any of you guys plays Madden 21 on PS5, I’m building an off season roster for franchise mode with all the free agency transactions and NFL Draft.

It was nice of Operation Sports and Forbes magazine to write a feature on me and my work.

So if you’re a Chargers fans or any fan of the other 32 NFL teams and on PS5, you can too play and enjoy the roster.

Roster name: Madden2022
User:Unfadeable21

Return to Los Angeles Chargers