Busts of 2007

Moderator: TyCobb

Boston's Future
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Busts of 2007 

Post#1 » by Boston's Future » Sun Jul 1, 2007 3:05 pm

Julio Lugo, SS, Red Sox
What do you think the Sox would give for Alex Gonzalez or Edgar Renteria about now? Boston has a lot of things going for it, but the performance of its new shortstop isn't one of them. Lugo's numbers -- .190 average, .256 on-base percentage, .283 slugging -- are embarrassing for a big-league player, the worst among regulars in the game. Yet the Sox are stuck paying him $36 million over the next four years.

Juan Pierre, CF, Dodgers
It's hard not to admire Pierre's work ethic. It's also impossible to overlook his funky routes in the outfield, his Raggedy Ann throwing arm and his lack of power. Pitchers refuse to walk the light-hitting Pierre, so if he doesn't hit, he doesn't get on. And if he doesn't get on, he can't steal, and then he doesn't score ... well, you get the picture. He's exactly the kind of no-hit player the Dodgers don't need. And yet they gave him five years and $44 million last winter.

Jim Edmonds, OF, Cardinals
Even Edmonds was a little surprised when the Cardinals signed him to a two-year, $19 million extension last November. Health issues have been a huge question with this four-time All-Star for a long time. He had shoulder and foot surgery in the offseason. He's had the concussions. Now he's on the disabled list with a case of sciatica. Edmonds' numbers have been diving since '04 -- he currently has a .308 OBP -- and he has, at times, looked lost in the outfield. He turned 37 on Wednesday. He's playing a lot older than that.

Kei Igawa, SP, Yankees
The Japanese league veteran made five starts for the Yanks, appeared in relief in another game, had a 7.63 ERA, put up a terrible walk-to-strikeout ratio and gave up eight homers in a little more than 30 innings before the team sent him down to the minors for a seven-week tune-up. He looked OK in his comeback start last week against the Giants, though nothing close to dominant. The Yankees bought five years of this last winter, for a $26 million posting fee and an addition $20 million in salary. Again, they can afford it. Doesn't make it smart, though.

Jason Schmidt, SP, Dodgers
Many questioned Schmidt's health in the winter, and many stayed away. That's one reason why the Dodgers were able to talk him into a shorter deal than most free agents, at a mere three years for $47 million. Maybe Years Two and Three of the contract will work out -- maybe -- but Year One has resulted in a 1-4 record in six starts, a 6.31 ERA and season-ending shoulder surgery.

The Orioles' bullpen
Baltimore had the right idea in beefing up its bullpen. The Orioles just picked the wrong guys to pull it off, and paid them way too much money. The team shelled out around $42 million for Danys Baez (three years, $19 million), Chad Bradford (three years, $10.5 million), Jamie Walker (three years, $12 million) and Scott Williamson ($900,000 for '07). Baez was ineffective (6.52 ERA) in his 31 appearances and he's currently sitting on the disabled list with a forearm injury. Williamson made a brief stop on the list, too. And the bullpen, as a whole, has a 5.16 ERA, 11th in the league. That's a lot of dough to pay for below-average results.

Barry Zito, SP, Giants
I'm of the opinion that a pitcher who unfailingly takes his turn is worth a lot of money, and Zito, unlike most others, at least does that. He has never missed a start. The problem is that he has the richest contract in the history of throwing a ball -- $126 million for seven years -- and, somehow people expect him to be really, really good, too. At 6-8 with a 4.61 ERA, he hasn't been. His wildness (42 walks) and the way lefties are abusing him (a .312 average) have been his biggest faults. Still, for what it's worth, he's there. Every time.

J.D. Drew, OF, Red Sox
June (an .898 OPS) is going a lot better than May (.552 OPS), but Drew still has a lot of convincing to do to make that five-year, $70 million deal look savvy. The biggest concern surrounding the team's new right fielder -- health -- already has proven to be a valid one. Drew has started only 61 of Boston's 77 games, though the Sox are 42-19 in those starts. A good second half and four more years of solid play will make this signing look good. But Drew's history suggests it won't be a smooth ride.
Modern_epic
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#2 » by Modern_epic » Sun Jul 1, 2007 3:38 pm

Screw you America, always forgetting the Jays! Frank Thomas has easily been bad enough to be on this list.
Boston's Future
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by Boston's Future » Sun Jul 1, 2007 3:48 pm

I'll agree with that. Except for this little hot streak he's been on, the guy has been a terrible signing. Adrian Beltre has been a bust too, but that is old news. The Beltre signing is one of the biggest busts in baseball history
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#4 » by Da Schwab » Sun Jul 1, 2007 5:08 pm

I'm going to add "Carl Pavano Comeback" to this list for poops and giggles.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#5 » by HCYanks » Sun Jul 1, 2007 6:11 pm

Modern_epic wrote:Screw you America, always forgetting the Jays! Frank Thomas has easily been bad enough to be on this list.

Forgetting?
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#6 » by B Mac » Sun Jul 1, 2007 8:12 pm

There's a team in Canada now??? What is the world coming to.... ;)
Modern_epic
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#7 » by Modern_epic » Sun Jul 1, 2007 9:03 pm

HCYanks wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Forgetting?

for·get(fr-gt, fôr-)
v. for·got (-gt), for·got·ten (-gtn) or for·got, for·get·ting, for·gets
v.tr.
1. To be unable to remember (something).
2. To treat with thoughtless inattention; neglect: forget one's family.
3. To leave behind unintentionally.
4. To fail to mention.
a. To banish from one's thoughts: forget a disgrace.
b. Informal To disregard on purpose. Usually used in the imperative: Oh, forget it. I refuse to go!
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#8 » by 34Celtic » Sun Jul 1, 2007 11:52 pm

Bobby Abreu wins in a landslide....
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#9 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Mon Jul 2, 2007 12:45 am

BS007, we know it's you. Give up.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#10 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Jul 2, 2007 1:04 am

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:BS007, we know it's you. Give up.

Gee, what gave it away? The mass copying and pasting of an article without referencing the source?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... index.html
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#11 » by 34Celtic » Mon Jul 2, 2007 1:18 am

pathetic
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#12 » by trwi7 » Mon Jul 2, 2007 1:39 am

Basketball Jesus wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Gee, what gave it away? The mass copying and pasting of an article without referencing the source?

:rofl: :rofl:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
PhillyPhan07
Ballboy

Post#13 » by PhillyPhan07 » Mon Jul 2, 2007 2:04 am

how about Freddy Garica
Loving Life
Black Jesus 1
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#14 » by Black Jesus 1 » Mon Jul 2, 2007 6:52 am

[insert D'Backs hitting prospect here]
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#15 » by Da Schwab » Mon Jul 2, 2007 1:40 pm

PhillyPhan07 wrote:how about Freddy Garica

Good one.

+2 for the newbie.

Also, June 28, 2006: Jerry Narron gets 2-yr extension with the Reds through 2008. Gets fired 1 year and 3 days afterwards.
livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Post#16 » by livestrong4ever » Tue Jul 3, 2007 6:13 am

Jeff Suppuan :nonono:
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#17 » by 34Celtic » Tue Jul 3, 2007 12:20 pm

livestrong4ever wrote:Jeff Suppuan :nonono:

You should blame the Brewers management for giving him that contract. He's just being an average pitcher right now, like he has been his entire career.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,392

Post#18 » by trwi7 » Tue Jul 3, 2007 9:31 pm

34Celtic wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You should blame the Brewers management for giving him that contract. He's just being an average pitcher right now, like he has been his entire career.

Gee really? And Dodgers fans should blame their management for signing Juan Pierre.

And Red Sox fans should blame their management for signing Julio Lugo.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#19 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Jul 4, 2007 12:27 am

People were expecting more out of Juan Pierre? He's actually exceeded my expectations.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#20 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jul 4, 2007 4:13 am

Basketball Jesus wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:rofl: You didnt even state it was an article from SI, you just plain out posted it. Geez.

Return to The General MLB Board